Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nas vs Jay-Z. Who's the better rapper?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Nas acting out the last verse of One Luv............dopeness!!!!!!

Shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul

Only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style

Then I rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes

Then froze only to blow the herb smoke through my nose

And told my little man that I'm a ghost as I rose

Left some jewels in his coat that he can sell if he chose

Words of wisdom from Nas try to rise up above

Keep an eye out for Jake shorty wop

One love

It goes Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac, Biggie, Andre from Outkast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me.

:paranoid:

I see who you quoted there.

I like both, always have, always will. I still remember Illmatic dropped that October 1994(I think it was in October). But when Jay-Z dropped Reasonable Doubts the same week of It Was Written in the summer of '96, people always been raising that question who is better. But no one is better than Frank White(aka. Biggie). In my opinion, I think Ready to Die is a tad bit better than Illmatic, but I'm a Biggie and a Jay-Z fan.

slim sold himself way short on that list.

You think he's better than a lot of those? Or the list is just bad?

That's a horrible list.

I think its actually a respectable list. Its not really my order, but I can defend each of them.

In regards to the original question, if we are talking "hip hop artist" i'll take Jay-Z. If we are talking rapper/mc/lyricist, I'll take Nas.

FTR, the thread says "better rapper" and the poll says better "hip hop artist," so I don't know who to vote for given my feelings.

I stopped listening to commercialized hip hop long ago. Immortal technique, Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind and RA the Rugged Man pretty much destroy anything put out by Jay-Z or Nas. Jay-Z being considered one of the greatest rappers of all-time should show you how far the commercial scene has fallen.

I stopped listening to commercialized hip hop long ago. Immortal technique, Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind and RA the Rugged Man pretty much destroy anything put out by Jay-Z or Nas. Jay-Z being considered one of the greatest rappers of all-time should show you how far the commercial scene has fallen.

Was waiting for you (or someone like you).

Was waiting for you (or someone like you).

I don't know any other way to put it honestly? Commercial hip hop died with Biggie and Pac. They were both incredibly talented, the only other commercial artists I can stand are Eminem and Guru (RIP). Just how I feel about it.

I like Jay-Z, don't get me wrong, but I've always thought he's a tad overrated. I still think he's one of the better rappers right now, but I'd take Nas and Eminem over him.

I'm with you on this. I think Nas stayed true to his roots more and Jay-Z got softer eventually(hey most people do when they make millions). With Em I think people discount him from his early quirky slimshady days, but lyrically I think that Em is better than jay-z too. Infact IMO he's gotten better over time where the same couldn't necessarily be said of Jay-Z. I also agree with whoever said it all comes down to personal preference though because for me personally I've always liked a rapper with a faster flow and mb thats why I see Nas and Em over Jay-Z. Probably why I preferred Pac and Bonethugs n Harmony over Biggie when I was younger(although I've grown to highly respect Biggie over time).

I don't know any other way to put it honestly? Commercial hip hop died with Biggie and Pac. They were both incredibly talented, the only other commercial artists I can stand are Eminem and Guru (RIP). Just how I feel about it.

I agree with you somewhat, but not as vehemently. I'll also acknowledge that I just started disliking new music as I got older, and those two were sort of in my prime music years.

Also, Jay-Z is not the best rapper of all time, C'mon man.

Also, you must not have heard Mr. Ghetto. Wally World!

Immortal Technique really doesn't get enough credit sometimes - sometimes you feel like you just got mind ****ed after some of his stuff.

I totally agree with you. Real Hip hop is underground. But as someone mentioned earlier as i get older the less tolerant i get of new music. I used to be a big hip hop head and now i'm almost totally turned off by the genre.

But to address the original question Nas vs Jay-Z? Nas is a better lyricist, (but nowhere near the best lyracist of all time) his use of imagery, similies and metaphores is definitely superior to Jay Z, but Jay Z has perhaps the best control of meter (flow) then any other emcee out there. sure his content leaves alot to be desired but the man is so sick w/ his flow he can rhyme on any beat and switch his meter several times seamlessly. There's something to be said when i guy can keep telling the same story but in different styles and still be successful. conversely Nas' flow seems repetitve. its almost like if you've heard one nas album you've heard them all... Frankly illmatic is the only good album he put out. everything else seems like same old ish. kinda like mobb deep or bone thugs and countless other emcees. thier first album seems great then the 2nd and third drop and you realize it all sounds the same. the age old question actually predates nas and jay z. its really what is more important to you lyrics vs flow? phife vs qtip, big boi vs andre, the gza vs meth, talib vs mos def.

as for illmatic as best album ever? i don't know. its a great album for sure, but i think it is about even with reasonable doubt. Its up there. but i'd probably put blackstar, the low end theory, aquemeni and ahead of both. but thats just the point of view of disgruntled old man who believes hip hop is really dead.

Immortal Technique is overrated and a conspiracy theorist. And when he told people in the concert I went to that if your family has police officers, F you and your family I was like wow, get over yourself. I'll pass. Illmatic stands far above anything he ever did. Dance With the Devil everyone freaked out over but eh, it's an over-dramatized SVU episode put into song.

---------- Post added May-29th-2012 at 06:07 PM ----------

I love Nas but Jay z has cemented himself as the greatest rapper of all time recently

Good Lord and I suppose Coldplay is the greatest rock group of all-time.

I'd take Jay over Nas to listen to. Nas has never evolved. Jay has. Nas definitely has the better album, though. Better Rapper: Nas Better catalog: Jay.

Not a huge fan of either guy, though.

As an aside, I think Scarface gets overlooked a lot. Dude can really take you for a ride in his songs.

Archived