Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nas vs Jay-Z. Who's the better rapper?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i was hoping he'd be mentioned. i didn't want to be the first because i say it in every hip hop thread i post in....but he is my favorite lyricist.

I love The Roots, but I don't feel like Black Thought is a great lyricist. I even will give him that the meaning behind a lot of his lyrics are often inspiring, but I guess I just don't think he has a great flow or rhyme. But, love me some Roots, probably my favorite hip hop group.

As far as lyricists, I'd say Tupac is my favorite, with Biggie a very close second. I know its somewhat cliche, but I really think they are the two best of all time. I love Talib Kweli's lyrics as well. Eminem is way up there for me also.

Nah, yal are missing my point. Kanye and Em (and probably Wayne) are still even the old generation. What's Kanye 2001? I think Em is like 2000? And I know Wayne is Cash Money times, but when was Carter 1, which is when I felt like he established himself. I probably shoudn't have named him, but I really don't know anybody from today.

What about Lupe, Drake, Wale, J. Cole, Jean Grae, Jay Electronica, etc.

I'd like to see Wale become one of the best. But right now of those listed, I guess Lupe. I dunno, I pretty much gave up on hip-hip a year or 2 ago. Just not the same.

Meh, I liked everything from Lupe up until Lasers. Felt like something was missing.

Lupe even said he didn't want to make Lasers, b/c they the record label forced him to make it "mainstream". Food & Liquor 2, it going to be amazing b/c he switched labels. Have you heard his new single yet?

I love The Roots, but I don't feel like Black Thought is a great lyricist. I even will give him that the meaning behind a lot of his lyrics are often inspiring, but I guess I just don't think he has a great flow or rhyme. But, love me some Roots, probably my favorite hip hop group.

I love the Roots band more than Black Thought. He just never did it for me as a lyricist, but maybe its because I never can listen to the lyrics on their songs because the band is so good.

Tupac Shakur is the biggest example of "the cult of personality" I have ever seen. Ppl are in love with HIM, not his music. He was a polarizing figure AND he died young. His music was good but he is overrated in the same vein as Elvis.

I like you man, but you're crazy. 2pac was as talented a musician as any hip hop artist we've seen. The guy was a true poet.

I love the Roots band more than Black Thought. He just never did it for me as a lyricist, but maybe its because I never can listen to the lyrics on their songs because the band is so good.

Basically how I feel.... never thought about it, but you're right. Maybe ?uestlove just overshadows him.

The one he stole from Pete Rock? That was crap.

Not only was it crap, but he didn't consult with Pete Rock when he considered sampling from him.. He was really upset over that.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

Black Thought has evolved as an MC.... Listen to his work prior to 2002... He's still nice now, but before 2002 he was the nastiest son of a gun to touch a mic.. Black Thought is rediculous lyrically!!

By the way, Big Pun put out one of the greatest lyrical albums of all time. Damn shame he didn't stick around. RIP.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:45 AM ----------

How long have you been following the Roots? Have you listened to "Do You Want More?" , "illadelph Halflife", and "Things Fall Apart" ?

Yes, I've followed them a long time, since all of those. Things Fall Apart changed my musical preferences, so to speak. A true masterpiece.

By the way, Big Pun put out one of the greatest lyrical albums of all time. Damn shame he didn't stick around. RIP.

No disrespect to Pac and BIG, but Big Pun and Big L's deaths probably were more devestating to "ME" from a pure hiphop stand point than anyone else.. They left many hiphop fans still wanting more..

I love The Roots, but I don't feel like Black Thought is a great lyricist. I even will give him that the meaning behind a lot of his lyrics are often inspiring, but I guess I just don't think he has a great flow or rhyme.

you just contradicted yourself. i said he's a great lyricist, and you say he's not but praise his lyrics and dis his flow.

Ooooh... got me. Actually, no. What I was saying was that I will give you that SOME of his lyrics are inspiring. But I would not call him a great lyricist.

lol come on man. I undersatdn not liking him, but to say he's not a great lyricist is just.....just....idiotic.

lol come on man. I undersatdn not liking him, but to say he's not a great lyricist is just.....just....idiotic.

I LOVE him. I don't know how else to say this. The Roots are probably my favorite group of all time. I think without Black Thought the Roots aren't the same. I just don't hold Black Thought up there with the greatest of all time. I see him more as a MUSICAL genius than a LYRICAL genius.

Ooooh... got me. Actually, no. What I was saying was that I will give you that SOME of his lyrics are inspiring. But I would not call him a great lyricist.

oooh, got me....lol.

"Why (What's Going On?)"

WHY?? [6 x's]

Sky's the limit so you know I'm gonna rise and shine

I gotta do my thing, I'm kinda getting a little tired of all that's hidden

That's the reason I'm a speak my mind, keep from going insane

Now work with it, we in the last innin'

The world keeps spinnin', my peoples steady losin' while the rich keep winnin'

It's like we neva smilin' and the devil steady grinnin'

killin' what we representin'

Even our children and women, 2K4, livin' above and under the law

Young teen joins the marines, says he'll die for the core

Inducted up into the goverment's war as if the land of money and oil

Funny how ain't none of it yours

I can't sleep yo I'm paranoid, it's code orange

It's far from right, I guess that's why it feels so wrong

To see the world get stripped out of every resource

And people pray to Coca-Cola now instead of the gods

What's goin' on?

WHY?? [6 x's]

Keepin' your head above water, hustlin' to survive

Some people chasin' a dream, others just chasin' a high

Some people blind leading the blind, they chasin' a lie

Some people chokin' backs broken barely makin' it by

But still they workin' all they live, they pushin' for the light

Givin' everything they got to stitch them swishes on ya Nike's

Puttin' pockets on our jeans, mining diamonds for them rings

Rewarded with small change and bullets in the brains

And it makes me feel strange everything we take for granted

At times I feel stranded on this planet of mine

Now should I pull the hammer, clap it out, and laugh about it

Or stand up, be counted while I cast my ballot

When the undertaker's busy and the prison's is crowded

People livin' in fear because they vision is clouded

But the sky's the limit, I ain't cryin' you a river

Gotta move me a mountain, I'm a git up and shout it

WHY?? [6 x's]

When I dream it's hounds on my heels gainin' momentum

I'm tired, can't get uninspired or quit runnin'

I can feel they only inches behind, I escape, I survive

Some how I gotta decide how much I want it

Or is anybody listenin' without a pot to piss in

If I disappear I wonder if the world will know I'm missin'

Who my support system, it's not the court system

Gotta letter it said that you're not avoiding prison

People 'neath the microscope 'cause we defining the culture

They smile and insult you like you shinin' their loafers

Them old heads say we need a modern day Moses

When the leaders is posers we needing some soldiers

It's the X generation, The anger is a nature

Got the writing on the wall so clear that I can taste it

Like a kid sniffing glue somewhere trying to escape

Cause we vulnerable and naked

Gotta show 'em we can make it

WHY??

this is one of my favorites.

OK, I'm listening to Clock with No Hands Now (first time hearing it) and he (Black Thought) does represent himself well here.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

OK, I'm listening to Clock with No Hands Now (first time hearing it) and he (Black Thought) does represent himself well here.

Yo, that song is deep!!!

Iv been stomped with this one for awhile. They have different styles and I like them both, but I think Im leaning towards Jay-Z because of all the different collaborations and he has more number one albums.

But Nas has done so much as well, and it almost seems forgotten

Archived