Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS DC: Healthy Cooley Confident He’ll Be “A Major Factor” For Redskins

because shanny is a man of his word and told him he would have a fair shot to make the team.

That doesn't really address my question, though lol...If Cooley IS 100% healthy, do they still want him?

If they don't, then Shanny's "word" of having a fair shot to make the team doesn't mean jack.

If they do, then there's a far better chance he makes the team than 30%.

By the way, you also said this:

Anything that comes from Grant about Cooley shoukd be taken with a grain of salt since hes not objective due to his personal relationship with Tanner and Chris.

What did Grant say in that article that we shouldn't trust or should be taken with a grain of salt?...

5. Defensive coordinators have come out and said they don't even worry about 47 and havn't gameplanned against him for years.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 01:14 AM ----------

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 01:18 AM ----------

Where can we find these quotes?

Healthy or not, the man has to be productive. Even if 100%, Davis is athletically superior and officially taken the #1 TE spot away from him. I have no problem with him staying a redskin, but him and Moss have to really earn their roster spot this year. It's not even August yet, but we already know they won't be starters and are still making starter money...

Edit: I wouldn't be shocked to see both of them gone early preseason to keep with the youth movement and give both a chance to catch on with other teams.

That doesn't really address my question, though lol...If Cooley IS 100% healthy, do they still want him?

If they don't, then Shanny's "word" of having a fair shot to make the team doesn't mean jack.

If they do, then there's a far better chance he makes the team than 30%.

By the way, you also said this:

What did Grant say in that article that we shouldn't trust or should be taken with a grain of salt?...

Means cooley has a uphill battle hence the 30% and alot to prove. Cooley IF 100% healthy AND effective & productive in how they want to utilize the TES

With RG3 I would say yes he could make the team but like i said up hill battle right now. Grant was a awareness because he was also a Gaffney guy as

Well and was pimping "Gaffney no doubt is on the redskins next season" "I would be shocked if Jabar was not on the roster " ect ect. Grants opinions on the game are often better than the info. Good kid tho.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 02:10 AM ----------

Where can we find these quotes?

Believe they are on the podcast and came out a few weeks ago publicly from a reporter. Think we had Keim or lombardi say something about it as well. Can bring a guest on that will speak to the same if needed for everyone.

I don't doubt you Lavar...and I suspect most ESers don't either.

I just think some are disregarding what you're saying because they don't WANT it to be true.

Personally, I've moved on from Chris and am looking forward to Davis/Paul.

I get that but if people really look at it objectivley its not hard too see. Cooley at 29,ended 2 out of last 3 years on IR, leg injuries have taken away some speed he did have hence the weight drop (also for the knee), cooley in his prime was a beast at breaking takles ,people see him doing that at 237? Davis is the clear stud and on another level than chris at this point in their careers. I will respect and remember all that chris gave this team but can people make a actuall solid football argument for keeping a possible #2 te at best making 6+mill, injuries mounting and diminishing speed in a speed based offense predicated on yac and pushing the seam from that position? Cooley isnt going to get on safeties as fast as fred and that will ecfect the offense. Essentially if your keeping him here your going to lean on te screens and drags curls but nothing explosive cause hes not that player now and never has been.

I get that but if people really look at it objectivley its not hard too see. Cooley at 29,ended 2 out of last 3 years on IR, leg injuries have taken away some speed he did have hence the weight drop (also for the knee), cooley in his prime was a beast at breaking takles ,people see him doing that at 237? Davis is the clear stud and on another level than chris at this point in their careers. I will respect and remember all that chris gave this team but can people make a actuall solid football argument for keeping a possible #2 te at best making 6+mill, injuries mounting and diminishing speed in a speed based offense predicated on yac and pushing the seam from that position? Cooley isnt going to get on safeties as fast as fred and that will ecfect the offense. Essentially if your keeping him here your going to lean on te screens and drags curls but nothing explosive cause hes not that player now and never has been.

I've been saying the same thing since last season but it's falling on deaf ears.

Heck, I get the impression that many ESers still harbor hopes that Cooley will overtake Fred as the starter. :2cents:

I don't doubt you Lavar...and I suspect most ESers don't either.

I just think some are disregarding what you're saying because they don't WANT it to be true.

Personally, I've moved on from Chris and am looking forward to Davis/Paul.

This is most probable.

When I think about the whole situation at TE and Cooley, I have to think of more than this year. What is the upside even if Chris in in reasonably good health? The chance of him getting hurt again is very high, adding to that the development of Paul and Paulsen. Many here have discounted Paulsen, he may not be a starter but he is a great blocker and can sneak out unexpectedly and catch the important TD or third down pass. I really think many forget this is a business and winning brings more business. Sometimes you have to make cuts in business that hurt initially but benefit in the long run. I don't think the old Cooley is coming back, I am rooting for him but that doesn't make it happen. I was one of those calling to trade him two years ago when the value was there. Now his cap number is to high and he is an injury risk. If he is as healthy as he says he is it would show in camp pretty quickly. If his knee has any swelling I think he is done, even if playing well there is too much there to risk. RGIII needs two TE's he feels completely comfortable with in the short to medium range as he develops in this offense.

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 10:53 PM ----------

I've been saying the same thing since last season but it's falling on deaf ears.

Heck, I get the impression that many ESers still harbor hopes that Cooley will overtake Fred as the starter. :2cents:

His speed would have to return and that is highly doubtful, not impossible, but doubtful. However that said it should be apparent pretty quickly.

No doubt some waht him to be the starter again and that just won't happen.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 03:03 AM ----------

This is most probable.

When I think about the whole situation at TE and Cooley, I have to think of more than this year. What is the upside even if Chris in in reasonably good health? The chance of him getting hurt again is very high, adding to that the development of Paul and Paulsen. Many here have discounted Paulsen, he may not be a starter but he is a great blocker and can sneak out unexpectedly and catch the important TD or third down pass. I really think many forget this is a business and winning brings more business. Sometimes you have to make cuts in business that hurt initially but benefit in the long run. I don't think the old Cooley is coming back, I am rooting for him but that doesn't make it happen. I was one of those calling to trade him two years ago when the value was there. Now his cap number is to high and he is an injury risk. If he is as healthy as he says he is it would show in camp pretty quickly. If his knee has any swelling I think he is done, even if playing well there is too much there to risk. RGIII needs two TE's he feels completely comfortable with in the short to medium range as he develops in this offense.

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 10:53 PM ----------

His speed would have to return and that is highly doubtful, not impossible, but doubtful. However that said it should be apparent pretty quickly.

I agree with you in bro and your points are valid and don't involve emotion. Playing Cooley helps nobody but Cooley going forward in a sense. This team is a few years away and Cooley getting meaningful reps is only taking away from the long term growth of the team. I don't think people realize they are advocating a 16 game cooley farewell tour over developing a guy that will play the position when we are in a position to actually contend. I would keep chris if there was a way to do both but you can't and defiantly not at his current price tag. The last three seasons cooley has played 28/48 games but people seem confident that will change all the sudden. Build a team that will grow with Griffin with guys that will still be together in 2-3 years is my view on it. I'm not trying to knock chris or put his fans down but rather just look at it without emotion,

Well it is what it is LL. I also see Moss for only another year or two depending on the Garcon and Morgan outcome. Let alone we have all those other guys that could develop with RGIII

I thought about it and really the same does not apply to Moss at WR who can still be productive even if the role is limited, but again it must be weighed, and I think in camp in will be. But really hate to lose potentially good players over previously good players.

I just think you nailed it, and the Cooley tour helps only him while hurting the team. His upside is only downside past this year if there is an upside this year.

I agree with you in bro and your points are valid and don't involve emotion. Playing Cooley helps nobody but Cooley going forward in a sense. This team is a few years away and Cooley getting meaningful reps is only taking away from the long term growth of the team. I don't think people realize they are advocating a 16 game cooley farewell tour over developing a guy that will play the position when we are in a position to actually contend. I would keep chris if there was a way to do both but you can't and defiantly not at his current price tag. The last three seasons cooley has played 28/48 games but people seem confident that will change all the sudden. Build a team that will grow with Griffin with guys that will still be together in 2-3 years is my view on it. I'm not trying to knock chris or put his fans down but rather just look at it without emotion,

I tend to agree with you but then I think I want to put the best team on the field . Cooleys days as a starter were done last season especially with his knee injury and if it even threatens to flare up again then it makes me think differently again .

Looking at it dispassionately Paulsen is essentially an extra OT who has some speed and can catch, Paul is one hell of a project who has not shown he can do anything but block in the NFL and make minimal impact on the field (despite being a starter) - though i hope he can turn it on and Cooley is two seasons removed from one of his best seasons in his career . The point I am making is this decision cannot be made in May, or by bean counters or journalists looking for something to write about but should be shaken out in camp.

I am not saying that is going to happen and I think there is going to be a chance Cooley never makes it to camp and his run as a Redskin may be coming to an end but lets not toll that bell before time ..

There is no real downside to keeping a healthy Cooley for at least another year. He might not be the starter, or have the ability to overtake Davis at this point in their careers... Having said that, last time I checked Fred Davis is one pee cup away from a year long suspension. And then you want to rely on Paul as the starter having just converted to the posistion? Maybe Davis is telling the truth when he's says he's learned/matured from the 4-game suspension... But maybe Cooley is telling the truth that he's healthy and ready to go. Nothing wrong with having a little depth for the unknowns throughout a season.

So what the heck is this about Cooley being a smoker??? I really don't see how in 2012 a highly-paid athlete, especially one rehabbing a pretty significant injury, can possibly consider smoking cigarettes to be any reasonable part of a lifestyle or regimen committed to being in the best possible physical condition -- which I hope we can all agree should be the goal. This is ridiculous if true.

So what the heck is this about Cooley being a smoker??? I really don't see how in 2012 a highly-paid athlete, especially one rehabbing a pretty significant injury, can possibly consider smoking cigarettes to be any reasonable part of a lifestyle or regimen committed to being in the best possible physical condition -- which I hope we can all agree should be the goal. This is ridiculous if true.

Think it stemmed from this pic: http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1130940/cooleycigs.jpeg

Well if it's speed the staff is after at the TE position, I'll take your 70% and raise you another 25%. If healthy, Cooley gives you quality depth and Shanahan preaches depth. Might be his only saving grace to secure a roster spot. Still, I worry for Cooley b/c the offense/roster is trending towards speed and YAC. Cooley hasn't had consistent YAC in years and has never had speed.

Cooley led all TE's in YAC in 2010. He did the same thing in 2008.

I think Cooley can still be useful in a number of ways outside of just being a TE, but his price will need to change.

Today's decision on capgate will likely place Cooley on the outs.. We don't need him, definitely not for $3.8mill... we need that money..

I like Cooley and appreciate what hes done here over the years, but I think he's finished as a big contributor. He's got chronicle knee injuries and hes now getting up there in age. Not a good combination for a position that demands so much contact. Fred is the present and future.

Archived