Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS DC: Healthy Cooley Confident He’ll Be “A Major Factor” For Redskins

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/05/21/healthy-cooley-confident-hell-be-a-major-factor-for-redskins/

Chris Cooley is finally healthy again and the veteran tight end is looking forward to contributing to the Redskins’ re-tooled offense.

“I feel great, this is the best I’ve felt in a while,” Cooley said after participating in the Redskins’ first organized, full practice of the organized-team-activity portion of the offseason. “It’s a pleasure to be back, I’m excited to compete. It’s a big challenge for me and I’m looking forward to it but health-wise I’m good.”

The Redskins’ longest-tenured player, Cooley was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list last October after trying to overcome a broken finger and lingering pain and soreness in his left knee.

“I spent six months with a swollen knee and it took another four months before it felt like it should feel,” Cooley admitted about his rehabilitation.

“I’ve done a lot of hard work and a lot of running over the last two months and felt better than I’ve ever felt. I’m continuing to get my feet back under me and my speed where I feel comfortable, but health-wise I feel the best I’ve felt.”

One of the NFL’s most consistent tight ends over the past eight seasons, Cooley compiled career-lows in catches (8) and receiving yards (65) while participating in just five games in 2011 Hobbled during each of those performances, he was replaced by developing former second-round pick Fred Davis as Washington’s go-to receiving option at his position.

Just two seasons ago, however, a healthy Cooley played in all 16 games and caught 77 passes while tying his previous career high with 849 receiving yards. That type of production is what helped make the Utah State product one of the most popular players on Washington’s roster.

Now, with Davis having emerged as a potential star, Cooley will be looking to prove that he can remain healthy and that he’ll be able to provide a spark to a Redskins’ offense ravenous for play-making ability.

“We have a lot of talent on this football team,” Cooley said. “For me to contribute the way I would like to contribute, I think I have a big challenge ahead of me in proving that I’m still the player that I think I can be and I’m still the player that I was. That’s something I’m honestly excited about. That’s what makes good teams, is guys that have to show up and have to compete to play.”

Good. The best thing for this team is a healthy and productive Chris Cooley. Having 2 good TEs is no drawback, it gives RGIII an extra security blanket, it's a good plan in case anything happens to Davis...plus, we'd be better if Cooley has a good year and is traded than if he's just outright cut before the season starts.

Show 'em what you got, Capt. Chaos!

A healthy Cooley running full speed with Davis on the field also with RGIII throwing, adds up to many headaches for opposing Ds.
Cooley should be the starter.

I don't really think he should be the starter unless his speed is back, but certainly as TheGreek said he and Davis will open up all kinds of opportunities for RGIII and the WR's.

Yeah it's amazing to see these old pics of players smoking.

I remember seeing almost all golfers doing it as they walked the fairways, pretty funny actually when you see old footage. I don't know if that pic someone posted is real or mis-leading, I don't even know if Chris smokes, I do know when he is on the field he has an ability to get open and very soft hands. He seems to have slowed down and with his cap number nothing would surprise me. I would love though to see him and Santana get a chance to play with an actual QB who could hit them in stride and before they get closed in on and hammered.

I like the sounds of this from the article/.proof is in the putting.....

“I spent six months with a swollen knee and it took another four months before it felt like it should feel,” Cooley admitted about his rehabilitation.

“I’ve done a lot of hard work and a lot of running over the last two months and felt better than I’ve ever felt. I’m continuing to get my feet back under me and my speed where I feel comfortable, but health-wise I feel the best I’ve felt.”

A healthy Cooley running full speed with Davis on the field also with RGIII throwing, adds up to many headaches for opposing Ds.

Pipedream.. You are assuming the whole staff wants Cooley back. 70% chance he is not on this team come opening day.Anything that comes from Grant about Cooley shoukd be taken with a grain of salt since hes not objective due to his personal relationship with Tanner and Chris. Chris can say hes as healthy as he wants but Shanny not sold and will run him to find out. Health in shorts is a whole different ball game than health in pads with contact on the knee. Fan of chris I hope hes good and could return to 2008 but fact is at his age it just doesnt happen.

Pipedream.. You are assuming the whole staff wants Cooley back. 70% chance he is not on this team come opening day...Chris can say hes as healthy as he wants but Shanny not sold and will run him to find out. Health in shorts is a whole different ball game than health in pads with contact on the knee. Fan of chris I hope hes good and could return to 2008 but fact is at his age it just doesnt happen.

What happens if Cooley IS as healthy as advertised so far?...They still don't want him?

If they don't, why even bother "running him" to find out?

If they do, then the odds are definitely better than 30% that he makes the team.

Pipedream.. You are assuming the whole staff wants Cooley back. 70% chance he is not on this team come opening day.

Well if it's speed the staff is after at the TE position, I'll take your 70% and raise you another 25%. If healthy, Cooley gives you quality depth and Shanahan preaches depth. Might be his only saving grace to secure a roster spot. Still, I worry for Cooley b/c the offense/roster is trending towards speed and YAC. Cooley hasn't had consistent YAC in years and has never had speed.

Careful LL.

You'll get tarred with the same 'made up B/S' brush Tandler's been on here today.

Hail.

1. If es is gonna tar people they should tar the right person... RICH Tandler had nothing to do with that quote in fact it was Rich Campbell from the washington times.

2. Don't really care what es wants to believe or not but there is enough info out there that say cooley questionable.

3. Something we have been saying for months and info has even been collaberated by many reporters on our podcast.

4. Everyone loves cooley for good reason but don't be ignorant that hes expensive,older,ird 2 out of 3 years with 5 tds. Why are people arguing like this is cooley from 2004-2008 because hes not even close.

5. Defensive coordinators have come out and said they don't even worry about 47 and havn't gameplanned against him for years.

6. Love cooley but keep wider view cause nobody has a reason to lie or make stuff up for you all. Cheer him on and hope for his return back to 2008 form but lets not knock other players that don't deserve it.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 01:14 AM ----------

access to the team or know people who work with the team are a whole different story

You don't know me so don't assume you do.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 01:18 AM ----------

What happens if Cooley IS as healthy as advertised so far?...They still don't want him?

If they don't, why even bother "running him" to find out?

If they do, then the odds are definitely better than 30% that he makes the team.

because shanny is a man of his word and told him he would have a fair shot to make the team.

Archived