Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS DC: Healthy Cooley Confident He’ll Be “A Major Factor” For Redskins

In light of today's news, I think if Cooley restructures we should keep him. Even if he is not a fast as Davis or a shell of his former self I think you keep him around. In a two TE set he can be the 5-6 yard checkdown to help out a rookie QB while Davis, Hankerson/Garcon etc are attacking the seams and outside.

Cooley could excel at that and it would give a better chance to evaluate Paul at TE before thrusting him into the fray. If Paul looks good then maybe he supplants Cooley anway by season's end and we can part ways at that time. The Patriots don't attack deep with both of their TEs so I think we could find a role for Cooley and his veteran leadership in the offense.

Again, with a restructured contract I don't know that its not worth the small risk vs going full speed ahead with Paul and having him struggle.

In light of today's news, I think if Cooley restructures we should keep him. Even if he is not a fast as Davis or a shell of his former self I think you keep him around. In a two TE set he can be the 5-6 yard checkdown to help out a rookie QB while Davis, Hankerson/Garcon etc are attacking the seams and outside.

Cooley could excel at that and it would give a better chance to evaluate Paul at TE before thrusting him into the fray. If Paul looks good then maybe he supplants Cooley anway by season's end and we can part ways at that time. The Patriots don't attack deep with both of their TEs so I think we could find a role for Cooley and his veteran leadership in the offense.

Again, with a restructured contract I don't know that its not worth the small risk vs going full speed ahead with Paul and having him struggle.

I think today's news is the writing on the wall for cooley unless he's willing to take a HUGE hit.

Believe they are on the podcast and came out a few weeks ago publicly from a reporter. Think we had Keim or lombardi say something about it as well. Can bring a guest on that will speak to the same if needed for everyone.

What podcast?

Last I checked, Keim and Lombardi are far from defensive coordinators.

So, again, where can we find these quotes?

This whole notion that Cooley is 20 pounds lighter this year is not true!

"Cooley is listed at a playing weight of 234 pounds, which is 20 pounds lighter than he has ever been at any point of his professional career. His Week One status is up in the air and he has been listed as questionable as he slowly continues his recovery from knee surgery. He didn’t play at all in the preseason, and it is unclear how the significant weight loss will affect him on the field."

http://www.sportsrageous.com/chris-cooley-still-uncertain-for-week-one-but-he-lost-20-pounds-09-10-2011

He lost the weight last year and couldn't stay healthy or regain his speed. Why should we gamble $6MM+ of cap space that something will be different this time? Fred has more talent and is a more dynamic receiver w/o question. You have Paul converting who has good speed and weighs as much as Cooley. If we lose anyone in the preseason we can always sign a vet for a minimum 1-yr deal or re-sign Chris at that point if he's still out there. Guys like Shiancoe and Shockey are still on the market as well.

Cooley led all TE's in YAC in 2010. He did the same thing in 2008.

The operative word being consistent. Speed was also the point of the post. What is the point if you're pointing to two years where he had great YAC which is his strong suit? That's what he does well, but he hasn't been consistent year in and year out. My point was, if he doesn't have speed, he's oft-injured (which I didn't mention), and isn't CONSISTENTLY :) getting YAC anymore, they may cut him.

This whole notion that Cooley is 20 pounds lighter this year is not true!

It wasn't said that he lost the weight this year...it just said that he weighs 237 pounds at the first OTA and that it's 20 pounds lighter than at any time he's ever played:

Chris Cooley weighed 237 pounds today. He says he's weighing almost 20 pounds lighter than he's ever played.
He lost the weight last year and couldn't stay healthy or regain his speed.

It wasn't that he couldn't STAY healthy last year...it was that he was never healthy last year to begin with. Apparently from all reports this year, he is healthy now.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 09:28 PM ----------

The operative word being consistent. Speed was also the point of the post. What is the point if you're pointing to two years where he had great YAC which is his strong suit? That's what he does well, but he hasn't been consistent year in and year out. My point was, if he doesn't have speed, he's oft-injured (which I didn't mention), and isn't CONSISTENTLY :) getting YAC anymore, they may cut him.

Cooley lead all TEs in YAC...in 2006.

He was #4 among all TEs in YAC...in 2007.

He lead all TEs in YAC...in 2008.

He lead all TEs in YAC...in 2010.

That's pretty consistent.

Unless Paul cannot transition . Just like he cannot transition to an NFL WR sounds like a Todd Wade to OG move that turned into a disaster

---------- Post added May-23rd-2012 at 08:20 AM ----------

Wow that picture is terrible . I have no idea if Cooley smokes or not but that picture is obviously doctored to make it appear that he is smoking as for why i am not sure . The cigarette is 2 dimensional, does not look like it is lit and looks more like an illustration on a on a 3D image and the smoke goes behind his finger not across it ? weak ....

Believe they are on the podcast and came out a few weeks ago publicly from a reporter. Think we had Keim or lombardi say something about it as well. Can bring a guest on that will speak to the same if needed for everyone.
What podcast?

Last I checked, Keim and Lombardi are far from defensive coordinators.

So, again, where can we find these quotes?

I listened to both podcasts featuring Keim and Lombardi...here's a summary of what each said:

Lombardi on Cooley:

Like any player who wasn’t drafted by the current administration, what you did in the past doesn’t matter, will have to prove you can still do it…health will be a critical factor…it’s one thing to be healthy in September, it’s another thing to be healthy in December…

(On Cooley saying that Shanahan told him he was definitel coming back)

Mike is the only one who can make that decision…other people may have titles but Shanahan is the only one who makes personnel decisions…Shanahan’s a man of his word, if Mike actually told Cooley he’s coming back, he’s coming back…whether or not he makes the team remains to be seen…

Keim on Cooley:

Mike said today that there’s no swelling in his knee…(Shanahan’s gonna work his butt off, and if he doesn’t make it, he’s not in?) Keim: There you go…the big thing is, how does his knee respond to the OTAs, because if it doesn’t respond well, you’re not keeping him, not at $6 mil…it doesn’t take a lot to see this guy may not be around…you can use two TEs all you want, but they went out and got a bunch of receivers, too…

Chris has been a very good player (in Washington)…when I talked to people around the league, their comment typically is he’s valued more there (with the Skins) than he is in other places…would be disappointed to see him go at a time where , this guy has been through a lot of garbage here, you tend to want to reward guys like that by having them play in a situation that would be fun for them…If I had to guess, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s not here…

I think it really does come down to how does his knee respond, will it be ok…They’re gonna run him hard, if it doesn’t respond well, there’s a pretty big decision to make…From what I’ve heard there wasn’t a strong commitment to guaranteeing Cooley a roster spot, but he is still here…if he can help them then why not bring him back…but at that price do you keep him?...two storylines: one is the knee and the other is the salary, does he take a paycut…I’ll be surprised if they don’t redo his salary at the very least…

Didn't hear anything from either about "Defensive coordinators have come out and said they don't even worry about 47 and havn't gameplanned against him for years"...so either it was said by someone else, or what Keim/Lombardi did say was grossly misrepresented.

Take a good look at that picture . Seriously look at it and there are a couple of things a little wrong with it . I have no idea why someone would want to fake a Cooley smoking picture (at least not at that bastion of the truth SBNation), or if he smokes or not, but the cigarette looks wrong . It looks like a two dimensional image of a cigarette photo shopped in . It does not look like a cigarette that would be seen in a normal smokers hand it is not lit or smoking and there is no char ring around the end, yet smoke can be seen emanating from behind Cooleys hand but not crossing Cooleys finger (almost as if someone could not get the layers quite right) ... IT COULD be genuine i am not a picture expert but i did a lot of work on cigarettes and smoking for my thesis ....

I notice some of the people banging the drum loudest about cutting Cooley are some of the insiders (notably LL) and he may have something behind this, as he knows infinatly more than i do about the running of the team than i do ...but he has been banging this drum for maybe 3 years now, trying to create ground swell about trading him a couple of seasons ago - the negativity getting to the point where Cooley came out and actually said something about it and how unpleasant it is to hear and how it was affecting him.

If Cooley is done he IS done but lets see that on the field - this cutting Cooley ground swell in February - May every year for the last x years sounds like some just straight up do not like the guy ... maybe he kicked their puppy ... who knows...one thing i do know is Fred Davis is earning more money this season than Cooley and he never shown on the field he can be as consistent as Cooley or as reliable . Someone who talks about learning their lesson after being caught twice (and maybe more) smoking pot (for **** sake) is obviously not all there ...or sincere

Take a good look at that picture . Seriously look at it and there are a couple of things a little wrong with it . I have no idea why someone would want to fake a Cooley smoking picture (at least not at that bastion of the truth SBNation), or if he smokes or not, but the cigarette looks wrong . It looks like a two dimensional image of a cigarette photo shopped in . It does not look like a cigarette that would be seen in a normal smokers hand it is not lit or smoking and there is no char ring around the end, yet smoke can be seen emanating from behind Cooleys hand but not crossing Cooleys finger (almost as if someone could not get the layers quite right) ... IT COULD be genuine i am not a picture expert but i did a lot of work on cigarettes and smoking for my thesis ....

I notice some of the people banging the drum loudest about cutting Cooley are some of the insiders (notably LL) and he may have something behind this, as he knows infinatly more than i do about the running of the team than i do ...but he has been banging this drum for maybe 3 years now, trying to create ground swell about trading him a couple of seasons ago - the negativity getting to the point where Cooley came out and actually said something about it and how unpleasant it is to hear and how it was affecting him.

If Cooley is done he IS done but lets see that on the field - this cutting Cooley ground swell in February - May every year for the last x years sounds like some just straight up do not like the guy ... maybe he kicked their puppy ... who knows...one thing i do know is Fred Davis is earning more money this season than Cooley and he never shown on the field he can be as consistent as Cooley or as reliable . Someone who talks about learning their lesson after being caught twice (and maybe more) smoking pot (for **** sake) is obviously not all there ...or sincere

Im not "leading" any groundswell and nothing personal with cooley. Im a team > player guy always even if they are tough decisions dealing with fan favorites. Once players get bit by the injury bug and they are on the wrong side of 27 its tough to shake that and return to your original form. Cooley at one point could have brought us some value in a trade even if it was a mid round pick.I think chris made it far on his will,determination, and effort but I would never say he was one of the most talented TEs in the league and thats not a knock but just how I see it.Cooley at this point is likely to be released and when that happens we get nothing in return and 2-3 years ago we could have. Good front offices know when to move on from players and I want the skins to be a good front office and I don't see anything wrong with that. I also don't see the point in squeezing another year out if 47 when next year hes not in the plans? Thats like dating your old girlfriend until you and your new fiance officially get married. Cooley is insurance and a motivator right now for all the TEs in the room and they will have to work to grt a spot but at the end of the day I don't see skins paying him his money and they have not asked him to redo his deal so only one conclusion left.

The fact that Cooley is still a 'Skin has to say something at least.

With the emergence of Fred Davis, and the moving of Niles Paul to TE, the ingredients for a Cooley cut or trade are there, however the Shanahans must feel that Cooley can still be a productive member of the offense. Lets not forget a lot of folks are simply writing him off as over the hill and/or "best days gone by" due to him attempting to play through injuries which slowed him down on the field.

The fact that Cooley is still a 'Skin has to say something at least.

With the emergence of Fred Davis, and the moving of Niles Paul to TE, the ingredients for a Cooley cut or trade are there, however the Shanahans must feel that Cooley can still be a productive member of the offense. Lets not forget a lot of folks are simply writing him off as over the hill and/or "best days gone by" due to him attempting to play through injuries which slowed him down on the field.

IF the Redskins decide to cut Cooley, I think it will be soon (like in the next month) so he has a chance to catch on with another team. They wouldn't take him through training camp and preseason, then cut him, if cutting him is their intent all along.. The longer Cooley is here, the more likely he is to stay, IMO.

It is telling, though that (as LL has said) the Redskins, as of now, have not asked Cooley to restructure his contract. I have a hard time believing that they will pay about $4 million to a player that may have diminished skills, an injury risk, and may not be fully healthy.

Time will tell.

IF the Redskins decide to cut Cooley, I think it will be soon (like in the next month) so he has a chance to catch on with another team. They wouldn't take him through training camp and preseason, then cut him, if cutting him is their intent all along.. The longer Cooley is here, the more likely he is to stay, IMO.

It is telling, though that (as LL has said) the Redskins, as of now, have not asked Cooley to restructure his contract. I have a hard time believing that they will pay about $4 million to a player that may have diminished skills, an injury risk, and may not be fully healthy.

Time will tell.

also to bedlamvr the pic is legit and Cooley has been seen more than a few times smoking a cig like some other players. I will admit most of the guys i knew of smoking are not here anymore.

Skins are not 100% yet on what they will do but i think they are at about 70%. Skins will hold on too Chris through camp and for two reasons, montior how Niles Paul adapts to TE and get a accurate read on Cooleys health and ability. The team is in no rush to make a move and why would they be ? The cap issue being what it is does not allow the team to carry Cooley at his current contract for at best a #2 TE. On the surface fans think the best thing to di for chris would be let him go now so he can find a team but the rest of the league has the same questions about his health and ability and teams are going to want to see him play. Playing in preseason with a team and offense he is familiar with would probably allow him to look the best imo. The teams pov in keeping chris thru camps would be as insurance in case paul or nobody else proves they can handle the #2 spot so don't move kn crom a guy before you're sure. The cooley fans have a 30% chance of him staying but the pieces have to fall in place like paul and the pups not showing well,cooley regaining his speed and proving health then its possible skins approach chris about redoing his deal. We are going to talk about tbis topic on the show tonight and it woukd be nice to get some esers that either want cc to stay or go call in to discuss your opinion.

also to bedlamvr the pic is legit and Cooley has been seen more than a few times smoking a cig like some other players. I will admit most of the guys i knew of smoking are not here anymore.

Skins are not 100% yet on what they will do but i think they are at about 70%. Skins will hold on too Chris through camp and for two reasons,.

This all makes sense, it also makes sense that they may trade him after he looks good when you consider the salary cap ruling.

Today's decision on capgate will likely place Cooley on the outs.. We don't need him, definitely not for $3.8mill... we need that money..

Money for who? I think the roster is set and besides Eddie Royal, we got who we wanted in the offseason.

---------- Post added May-23rd-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

I like Cooley and appreciate what hes done here over the years, but I think he's finished as a big contributor. He's got chronicle knee injuries and hes now getting up there in age. Not a good combination for a position that demands so much contact. Fred is the present and future.

I see alot of people got their certification in being an NFL trainer. I think we should let the staff determine that. And nobody is saying Cooley should be the starter or the future. We're all well aware that Davis will be the main TE, but Cooley is a good insurance policy.

---------- Post added May-23rd-2012 at 09:02 AM ----------

If we lose anyone in the preseason we can always sign a vet for a minimum 1-yr deal or re-sign Chris at that point if he's still out there. Guys like Shiancoe and Shockey are still on the market as well.

If Shiancoe and Shockey were looking for a vet minimum contract, they would have signed one by now. They want better than that.

That picture of Cooley with what appears to be a ciggie is so disappointing.

Love the guy.

Hate to think he'd be that silly.

Chris is not the only player in the league who enjoys an occasional smoke with an adult beverage.

I listened to both podcasts featuring Keim and Lombardi...here's a summary of what each said:

Didn't hear anything from either about "Defensive coordinators have come out and said they don't even worry about 47 and havn't gameplanned against him for years"...so either it was said by someone else, or what Keim/Lombardi did say was grossly misrepresented.

I didnt think so. And even if they had, its not the same as hearing it from a DC in the league. Whats to stop them from spouting off nonsense to make a case for their arguments, much like LavarLeap has in this very instance.

Chris, when healthy, has been an extremely productive tight end in the league. Teams obviously arent going to game plan for someone if they are out due to injury, thats a no brainer. But to say DC's around the league dont respect a healthy CC is a joke.

I understand LL argument concerning his age and injury history, and the likely-hood of him beating out younger competition coming off said injury. Id even agree that CC has a tough road ahead. I just cant stand when people make **** up to make their case appear stronger.

Money for who? I think the roster is set and besides Eddie Royal, we got who we wanted in the offseason.

its not as "set" as you may think.. Even Shanny mentioned in a recent interview that the 2nd wave of FA (June 1st) is still ahead of them. So there's potential to get more value at certain need positions.. In my mind, there is no justifible reason to keep him on the roster, unless N. Paul poops his pants in camp.

I didnt think so. And even if they had, its not the same as hearing it from a DC in the league. Whats to stop them from spouting off nonsense to make a case for their arguments, much like LavarLeap has in this very instance.

Chris, when healthy, has been an extremely productive tight end in the league. Teams obviously arent going to game plan for someone if they are out due to injury, thats a no brainer. But to say DC's around the league dont respect a healthy CC is a joke.

I understand LL argument concerning his age and injury history, and the likely-hood of him beating out younger competition coming off said injury. Id even agree that CC has a tough road ahead. I just cant stand when people make **** up to make their case appear stronger.

Yeah, I think Cooley's salary will be the biggest issue...if he convinces Shanahan that he's healthy enough to make it through the season then I expect some sort of contract restructure that allows the Skins to release him anytime after this season with minimal costs in terms of any future salary cap. It wouldn't be smart of them to restructure his contract before they're convinced he's healthy.

One thought, though...with Cooley being the #2 TE, that means he'll have less wear and tear on his body and his knees, so that may play a role in any long-term health issues. As mentioned numerous times before, Paul's transition to TE is nowhere near a slam dunk, regardless of how many times Shannon Sharpe's name is brought up lol...I said on another thread that the smart thing to do is make sure the Tight End unit is strong and deep, not just healthy and cheap. A healthy Cooley pretty much guarantees the first to be true.

I'm rooting for both Cooley and Paul to do well :yes:...I bet Griffin is as well lol...

Don't need the 3.8M cash right now as none of that has been paid and will only be paid if he's on the roster opening day (net would actually be closer to 3M anyway). As to cap, we do save just north of 2M but we don't NEED that and net would be closer to 1.5. If Cooley is cut. it WILL be about performance and given that he is still on the roster, that would just be cruel.

If Shiancoe and Shockey were looking for a vet minimum contract, they would have signed one by now. They want better than that.

Football hurts, takes a lot of work and at this point in their careers, they'd be doing all that and not necessarily get paid anything but the per-diem of training camp. Given those issues, they may feel at this time that a vet minimum contract is not as valuable as getting on with their lives in relative good health.

Chris is not the only player in the league who enjoys an occasional smoke with an adult beverage.

The defensive cordinator don't gameplan for Cooley was said but maybe not aired. I will be bringing the guest on again to verify so carry on.

its not as "set" as you may think.. Even Shanny mentioned in a recent interview that the 2nd wave of FA (June 1st) is still ahead of them. So there's potential to get more value at certain need positions.. In my mind, there is no justifible reason to keep him on the roster, unless N. Paul poops his pants in camp.

I highlighted a part of Califan007's post that may answer part of my reasoning for not wanting them to cut bait yet.

As mentioned numerous times before, Paul's transition to TE is nowhere near a slam dunk, regardless of how many times Shannon Sharpe's name is brought up lol...I said on another thread that the smart thing to do is make sure the Tight End unit is strong and deep, not just healthy and cheap. A healthy Cooley pretty much guarantees the first to be true.

I'm rooting for both Cooley and Paul to do well :yes:...I bet Griffin is as well lol...

And FTR authentic, I'm not wanting to hold on to Cooley for sentimental reasons as I want the best 53 on the field. I just feel Cooley right now is one of the best 53 out there for us. I never blinked an eye when Portis was cut. I won't blink and eye when Moss or Cooley is cut, but the timing has to be right. I don't think it's time to cut either one. I'd look at this year and if it looks like the WRs and TEs we have can carry the load, by all means move on.

I know there is this argument out there for trading players so you can "get something" for them. But in reality, what you have already received from these two players is loyalty (both could have gone elsewhere) and 100% hard play on the football field for multiple seasons. That trumps a stupid late round draft pick in my view any day. We have already seen that Allen doesn't need to trade players to accumulate picks.

Archived