Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't care to learn the Rules or how to title a thread so I won't be doing that anymore. (M.E.T.)

Redskins Ruckus

If not as Tight End, Cooley might find a niche as a backup/receiving fullback, especially on Goal Line situations.

man, i don 't pretend make calls about the intricacies of blocking, but Cooley was not a good fullback in his short time at the position last year, he really was not. I remember more than a few times him whiffing on blcoks, BAD. He just was not catching on.

Winslow is likely to be released from Tampa... any interest there?

ZERO, thus far a career under achiever. He's shown flashes at best. Saw an article about him not practicing so he could rest his knee's for gameday. Besides, if he's got a chronic knee issue and a big name he's going to expect big money. I don't see him going anywhere for cheap.

fact is Davis is our franchise player so no argument is needed. Paul actually worked his way into a starting role last season but went out with a injury and returned later in the year. I understand people are Cooley fans but lets not just dog other players just to make chris look better.

Paul "worked his way into a starting role" yet was barely a blip in the passing game...and that was due to Moss being injured. He was only targeted 5 times the entire season. That's not what happens when someone "works" their way up to having a starting role. More than likely Paul started a few games in name-only, and most likely they put him in for his blocking.

Right now, Paul has shown absolutely zilch to expect him to comfortably take over for Paulsen, nonetheless for Cooley.

ZERO, thus far a career under achiever. He's shown flashes at best. Saw an article about him not practicing so he could rest his knee's for gameday. Besides, if he's got a chronic knee issue and a big name he's going to expect big money. I don't see him going anywhere for cheap.

I have no interest in trading for Winslow or even signing him as a free agent, TE is far from being a need position where we need to invest cap dollars even if we did trade/release Cooley. However calling Winslow an under achiever is a bit much - at least while he has been in Tampa. He averages over 70 caches and just under 800 yards per season as a Buc. Those are respectable numbers.

Report me to the administrators. Thanks for your contribution to the thread. Edit: I forgot the smiley face :)

I sent you a PM, but now I see that you are mocking the rules and fellow posters for trying to guide you, so much for trying to help you out, enjoy the NNT you are probably headed for.

http://www.extremeskins.com/announcement.php?f=24 Rules 8,9 &10 specifically relate to thread titles.

Not being able to fully pursue FA was definitely a bummer, but it would bother me in a special way if the Capgate bull**** is what makes us get rid of Cooley. Once again shows how wrong and misplaced the penalty was. "restore competitive balance" (on a bad team btw) does not mean being forced to release your fan favorite, very serviceable, veteran TE. Continues to drive me up the wall. ****.

and yet I think it is most likley that cap number that Cooley carries STILL can't be justisfied by Cooley contribution in recent years.

Look at Cooley's contribution for past 2 years

REC: 8

YDS: 65

TD: 0

REC: 77

YDS: 849

TD: 3

REC: 29

YDS: 332

TD: 2

REC: 83

YDS: 849

TD: 1

Do you really want to commit a roster spot and $3.8 million due this year and cap space of $6.23 million on a TE carries significant amount of health risks? I think Cooley is only worth this much money when he was in his prime.

Also to remind you, we have Fred Davis that is also eaching up alot of cap space. Too much commitment to the TE position don't you think?

If we keep Cooley then whats the plan for him next year? We will have to cut him this year or next year... mind as well go with the youth movement sooner than later... Cooley is no longer a difference maker that should make you overlook his age, health, and cap space...

If we need the cap space for another player I could see Cooley needing to be cut but not for cap space "in general". With a rookie starting QB that happens to be insanely mobile and the rise of double tight end sets in the NFL I think there is value in having more than one TE. The fact that Davis is a puff puff pass away from a year long vacation and frankly only has one really good season under his belt leads me to favor a conservative approach.

If we need the cap space for another player I could see Cooley needing to be cut but not for cap space "in general". With a rookie starting QB that happens to be insanely mobile and the rise of double tight end sets in the NFL I think there is value in having more than one TE. The fact that Davis is a puff puff pass away from a year long vacation and frankly only has one really good season under his belt leads me to favor a conservative approach.

Yes and I think this shows the Niles Paul move is a hedge bet covering both Smokey and Gimpy in case they return.

Some on this board have been banging this trade/cut Cooley drum for what 4-5 seasons now ? Eventually you will be right ..

I think Cooley is winding down but he was hurt in 2011 in 2010 something like 52% of his receptions went for 1st downs and he had a career equaling year in terms of yardage . He was a machine and he has done this with the human garbage we have had at QB for the last x years .

Cooley is not coming in here as a starter and he knows he has Paul and Paulsen snapping at his heals, and he has come into the OTAs with something to prove and he has come in lighter and healthier . If he is not exceptional then dont keep his locker forever but lets give him a chance to show he belongs or doesnt . Do not We are willing to give Paul the benefit of the doubt because he might be something special, though he has never shown it on the field, but we want to wash our hands of Cooley because he was something special and he can be special again ..

I gotta admit, TK, I thought you would have gone with something like "Chris Cooley likely to remind me I need to read the rules on how to format a thread title" or something like that. I'm kinda disappointed in you :silly:

How about Per His Chris Cooley thread: OP released from thread duties and gets waved.:ciao:

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 07:06 PM ----------

(Has feeling lemming city is on the near horizon) :munchout:

Back on topic, as others stated, this is one hell of a reach...

around a long way, especially after some of the RGIII and Cooley comments of the day.

Paul "worked his way into a starting role" yet was barely a blip in the passing game...and that was due to Moss being injured. He was only targeted 5 times the entire season. That's not what happens when someone "works" their way up to having a starting role. More than likely Paul started a few games in name-only, and most likely they put him in for his blocking.

Right now, Paul has shown absolutely zilch to expect him to comfortably take over for Paulsen, nonetheless for Cooley.

However you want to look at it is how you look at it. Fact is coaches had other options liked the potential and work ethic of paul and elevated him over other WRs to start. Yes his strength is blocking and even last year the staff thought he was one of the better blockers from WR OR TE position on the team. Fact is they drafted him for that purpose due to his expirience at it coming out of Nebraskas run dominated offense. Shanahan won't play WRs who don't block in the run game so his blocking helped move him ahead of other guys so that not a weakness. Paul struggled to consistantly get seperation against corners but against backers/safeties will be easier. Last season he already filled some of the te roles from the wr position used with motion schemes last season before getting more te looks to close the year out. Staffs high on paul on TE so we will see what happens. Fans love cooley i get it but its bad business to just use him for a 16 fame farewell tour cause at this point hez just taking reps someone else could use that will be here in 2 years.

However you want to look at it is how you look at it. Fact is coaches had other options liked the potential and work ethic of paul and elevated him over other WRs to start.

If Paul had seriously "worked" his way to a "starting role" as WR as you said earlier, he wouldn't be transitioning to a 3rd string TE this year.

Perry Riley worked his way into a starting role. Fred Davis worked his way into a starting role.

Niles Paul started a game or two, and was barely acknowledged as a WR when doing so.

Yes his strength is blocking and even last year the staff thought he was one of the better blockers from WR OR TE position on the team. Fact is they drafted him for that purpose due to his expirience at it coming out of Nebraskas run dominated offense. Shanahan won't play WRs who don't block in the run game so his blocking helped move him ahead of other guys so that not a weakness. Paul struggled to consistantly get seperation against corners but against backers/safeties will be easier. Last season he already filled some of the te roles from the wr position used with motion schemes last season before getting more te looks to close the year out. Staffs high on paul on TE so we will see what happens. Fans love cooley i get it but its bad business to just use him for a 16 fame farewell tour cause at this point hez just taking reps someone else could use that will be here in 2 years.

The thing ism, though, you over-exaggerated Paul's "starting role" last year in order to dismiss the notion that Cooley has value to the team due to the TEs behind him not having proving anything yet.

Let's not act like Paul has pushed Cooley out the door or rendered him a luxury. The chances of Paul being a reliable TE option for a rookie QB are slim at best this season. I'm not convinced any coach would want to thrust him into that role should the starting TE need a breather, pull a hamstring, miss a few games or (God forbid) go on IR. A Healthy Cooley is a million times more of a security blanket than Paul is right now.

I don't think it's a Paul vs. Cooley debate though.

With the amount of money they are each making, it's a Davis vs. Cooley thing. I think we can all agree the Fred is the guy right now. And I just don't see us paying Cooley the kind of money he's due to be the second TE, who's getting older, and who was injured most of last year.

If Paul had seriously "worked" his way to a "starting role" as WR as you said earlier, he wouldn't be transitioning to a 3rd string TE this year.

Perry Riley worked his way into a starting role. Fred Davis worked his way into a starting role.

Niles Paul started a game or two, and was barely acknowledged as a WR when doing so.

The thing ism, though, you over-exaggerated Paul's "starting role" last year in order to dismiss the notion that Cooley has value to the team due to the TEs behind him not having proving anything yet.

Let's not act like Paul has pushed Cooley out the door or rendered him a luxury. The chances of Paul being a reliable TE option for a rookie QB are slim at best this season. I'm not convinced any coach would want to thrust him into that role should the starting TE need a breather, pull a hamstring, miss a few games or (God forbid) go on IR. A Healthy Cooley is a million times more of a security blanket than Paul is right now.

no i said he earned a starting role last year and fact is thats what happened regardless of circumstance. You might of percieved it as a over exagerated but thats not the case. Any player that makes the 53 and gets a starting spot has earned it in my mind and especially a rookie under Shanahan due to his reluctance to play them too soon.Im not dismissing Cooley at all but fact is fact bro. Why would Cooley need to be a "reliable security blanket for RG3" ? .. DAVIS is the starter not chris,Davis will be the security blanket in the TE position not cooley. Offense is changing a bit and will feature athletic speed guys who get seperation and turn accurate passes into YAC, not cooleys strength over his career. Cooleys strength has benn finding spots against zone and sitting down not really a get seperation kinda guy and at this point hes not threatning the seam of a defense. I respect peoples love for chris but look at it from a football and team building pov not a fan love. Eagles can cut dawkins,colts can cut peyton,skins can cut cooley.

With the amount of money they are each making, it's a Davis vs. Cooley thing.

I agree that it's not Paul vs. Cooley, but LL insinuated earlier that we shouldn't devalue Paul's talent due to his having "worked his way into a starting role"...and claimed the only reason people would do so is because Cooley is a fan favorite (which, yes, is ironic on a number of levels lol)...I was pointing out that saying Paul worked his way into a starting role was disingenuous at best...he hasn't "worked" his way into a starting anything yet.

And I don't think it's a Cooley vs. Davis thing, either. I think it's a Cooley's health vs. the coaches' perceptions thing...and a Cooley's contract vs. the salary cap thing lol...

I think we can all agree the Fred is the guy right now. And I just don't see us paying Cooley the kind of money he's due to be the second TE, who's getting older, and who was injured most of last year.

If Cooley were a free agent we were thinking of signing to back up Davis, you're right...but since he's already on the team and it's apparently not keeping them from signing anyone, then I can't see Shanahan (or any coach, really) releasing Cooley based on "principle"...

With the amount of money they are each making, it's a Davis vs. Cooley thing. I think we can all agree the Fred is the guy right now. And I just don't see us paying Cooley the kind of money he's due to be the second TE, who's getting older, and who was injured most of last year.

Right, I actually don't think it's a Cooley vs. Paul. OR a Cooley vs. Davis.

And everybody is seemingly forgetting Paulsen, who is very large, and blocked pretty well last year.

No, I think this is an odd situation where they are not competing with each other, but with themselves. Davis is going to be there. The other 3 have to prove that they are going to be able to contribute in different ways. If they do, they all make the team. If they don't, the ones that don't won't make the team.

The 'Skins kept a GLUT of WRs last year for a variety of reasons. The prediction is that won't happen again. So, they might be able to carry an extra TE.

Right, I actually don't think it's a Cooley vs. Paul. OR a Cooley vs. Davis.

And everybody is seemingly forgetting Paulsen, who is very large, and blocked pretty well last year.

No, I think this is an odd situation where they are not competing with each other, but with themselves. Davis is going to be there. The other 3 have to prove that they are going to be able to contribute in different ways. If they do, they all make the team. If they don't, the ones that don't won't make the team.

The 'Skins kept a GLUT of WRs last year for a variety of reasons. The prediction is that won't happen again. So, they might be able to carry an extra TE.

Also a good point.

With our WRs seeming to be more clear cut in the depth chart, it's possible that we keep Davis/Cooley/Paulsen. And then use Paul as an in between guy. Getting reps at both WR (mainly for his blocking skills), some at TE, and of course his STs ability.

Who knows... But will be fun to follow once training camp comes along.

Archived