Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't care to learn the Rules or how to title a thread so I won't be doing that anymore. (M.E.T.)

Redskins Ruckus

I was thinking the very same reading the Winslow thread earlier.

It'd certainly be to our detriment to not at the very least explore the possibility. Even a low round pick is better than no pick.

Hail.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic in saying that we could get at least a 5th if not a 4th for him.

If he can contribute, why wouldn't we keep him on the roster? Is there someone we are trying to sign?

Seems to me the benefit of cutting him would have been during FA

Exactly :yes:...yes, $6 mil is too much to pay for the #2 TE, but unless we're unable to sign someone because of his salary or something else along those lines, what's the benefit of releasing him? Shanahan's gonna cut him on principle? lol...

It seems to me that Shanahan is giving Cooley every opportunity to make the team.

Because a good TE is a QB's best friend and our "franchise TE" (way too early to say that IMO) is one puff away from a year long vacation. Niles Paul couldn't get on the field much at his natural position and frankly I see him as a long shot to see much playing time at TE.

and yet I think it is most likley that cap number that Cooley carries STILL can't be justisfied by Cooley contribution in recent years.

Look at Cooley's contribution for past 2 years

REC: 8

YDS: 65

TD: 0

REC: 77

YDS: 849

TD: 3

REC: 29

YDS: 332

TD: 2

REC: 83

YDS: 849

TD: 1

Do you really want to commit a roster spot and $3.8 million due this year and cap space of $6.23 million on a TE carries significant amount of health risks? I think Cooley is only worth this much money when he was in his prime.

Also to remind you, we have Fred Davis that is also eaching up alot of cap space. Too much commitment to the TE position don't you think?

If we keep Cooley then whats the plan for him next year? We will have to cut him this year or next year... mind as well go with the youth movement sooner than later... Cooley is no longer a difference maker that should make you overlook his age, health, and cap space...

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 02:38 PM ----------

If he can contribute, why wouldn't we keep him on the roster? Is there someone we are trying to sign?

Seems to me the benefit of cutting him would have been during FA

very good reason... with the new CBA.. any unused caps space gets carried over.

It might not help us sign someone this year but it will mean we will have even more cap space next year.

If not as Tight End, Cooley might find a niche as a backup/receiving fullback, especially on Goal Line situations.

Cooley's cap number is over $6 million...there is no way you can keep a back up niche player at that price. Unfortunately, I think Cooley's time in DC is coming to an end. Great run and all but the Skins have to move on.

You'd be surprised. He's still productive and very much a threat when healthy.

He hasn't been healthy or productive in two years, and he isn't getting younger.

I'd be VERY surprised if we could get a 4th rounder for him. Anything higher than a 6th would surprise me.

Because a good TE is a QB's best friend and our "franchise TE" (way too early to say that IMO) is one puff away from a year long vacation. Niles Paul couldn't get on the field much at his natural position and frankly I see him as a long shot to see much playing time at TE.

fact is Davis is our franchise player so no argument is needed. Paul actually worked his way into a starting role last season but went out with a injury and returned later in the year. I understand people are Cooley fans but lets not just dog other players just to make chris look better.

If he's getting cut at this point, it's during training camp. As was said previously, the only benefit of cutting for cap reasons would have been well before the draft. If his knee is healthy, then he'll be on the team. If not, he won't. This isn't really new news as far as I'm concerned.

Cooley is in shape and needs no wrap or brace on that knee. He knows the writing is on the wall and this is probably the last go around from him. I expect a vintage Captain Chaos year, even if it's in a reduced role. He and Davis will pose Redzone nightmares for teams. Niles will own the open field and he'll assume cooley's role next year.

If he's getting cut at this point, it's during training camp. As was said previously, the only benefit of cutting for cap reasons would have been well before the draft. If his knee is healthy, then he'll be on the team. If not, he won't. This isn't really new news as far as I'm concerned.

there is a legit cap reason... as I stated before.. any unused cap space gets carried over to the following year...

alot more involved in the situation than that.. The Cooley blindness is amazing to me.

alot more involved in the situation than that.. The Cooley blindness is amazing to me.

yup... same here... its just case of a fan base over valuing their player on their own team relative how they would envision a player a different team....

John Clayton's Top ten TEs : Where would you rate Cooley and Davis based on this list?

No. 1: Rob Gronkowski

No. 2: Jimmy Graham

No. 3: Aaron Hernandez

No. 4: Jason Witten

No. 5: Vernon Davis

No. 6: Antonio Gates

No. 7: Tony Gonzalez

No. 8: Jermaine Gresham

No. 9: Dustin Keller

No. 10: Jermichael Finley

fact is Davis is our franchise player so no argument is needed. Paul actually worked his way into a starting role last season but went out with a injury and returned later in the year. I understand people are Cooley fans but lets not just dog other players just to make chris look better.

Davis has had one really good season... and it was ruined by a suspension. Niles Paul has done nothing. Davis will be good IMO but I'm not sure about Paul.

John Clayton's Top ten TEs : Where would you rate Cooley and Davis based on this list?

No. 1: Rob Gronkowski

No. 2: Jimmy Graham

No. 3: Aaron Hernandez

No. 4: Jason Witten

No. 5: Vernon Davis

No. 6: Antonio Gates

No. 7: Tony Gonzalez

No. 8: Jermaine Gresham

No. 9: Dustin Keller

No. 10: Jermichael Finley

I'd put sleepy 7 after Finley at 6. Cooley doesn't make the list.

Archived