Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Off to Disney

Larry

What is there to see/do at Disneyworld's Wide World of Sports complex? Anybody?

I know that they sometimes have sporting events there. Atlanta Braves spring training. I think they have cheerleading competitions there.

I don't think there's anything permanently set up, every day. There's a sports bar. (I went there to watch a Redskins game, once.)

Braves Spring Training in season. Various youth sports (maybe adult too) tournaments.

Playstation Pavillion- You can play any Sony game. Long lines

ESPN/Wide World of Sports Cafe- Overpriced nasty bar food.

Unless you are going for a youth sports tournament or a Braves game, there's no reason to go.

Thanks. I couldn't find much on it, and now I know why.

I know that they sometimes have sporting events there. Atlanta Braves spring training. I think they have cheerleading competitions there.

I don't think there's anything permanently set up, every day. There's a sports bar. (I went there to watch a Redskins game, once.)

Which of your guns are you taking as best for personal protection at Disney?

On a disney message board I frequent, there was a guy who fancied himself a Rambo (for lack of a better term). He was (claimed) to be former police and he took it everywhere he went. He would openly discuss how he took his sidearm with him each time he went into Disney. Apparently he ended up on a watch list, and he was caught in the park with it and banned from the park. He posted a HUGE tirade on the message board about infringemen of his rights, bla bla bla. Made for good reading.

Actually, I do know that, near the entrance to Magic Kingdom, there's a kiosk of gun lockers, just outside the entrance. At least, that's what I assume it is. A bunch of like PO boxes, many of them with keys in the locks.

I have absolutely no clue as to what the rules are, for the things. Like, who's allowed to use them, and so forth.

I assume they're for people with CC permits, who aren't allowed to carry in the park, but don't want to leave them in their cars. But I don't know.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to bump this thread because of all the info.

Booked my hotel at Fairfield Inn in Anaheim. Most important to me was being within walking distance of the park. The last trip we had, we drove and parked in the garage.... What a pain and still a lot of walking to the disney shuttles.

We're going to the first week of November 3-7. Taking my 3 year old son. I know I know I know, he's not going to remember, a lot of people even grilling me that he may not even enjoy it. But, He enjoys all the cartoons and just the other night when we say the disney commercial, he made me rewind it 3 times! LOL!

My wife and I really researched the busy times and the best times to visit. This time of year doesn't look to busy. Going to do a 3 day park hopper.

I've read through the thread and got a few pointers. If anyone isn't familiar with this hotel (motel), it's about a 2 block (10 minute) walk to the front entrance. Going to probably do each park one day and the 3rd day focus on the park that little man enjoys the most.

Any advice to help with a toddler? Do they do fireworks during the week in November?

Can't really tell you much about California. But I think it's a safe bet they have fireworks every single night.

From what I've seen watching other people's kids, he's guaranteed to have a good time. Now, I do occasionally see some kids, when they meet one of the characters, they're happy until the character gets about 3 feet away, and then they're terrified. But I think I've only seen that from a kid as old as 3, once. (It's really rare for 2 and younger.)

Assuming that things are like Florida, you might want to consider renting a stroller. They're like $10 a day, and the kid IS going to conk out, later in the day, so unless you want to carry him around for the afternoon, get a stroller. (And, if you get a stroller, then you can put a few bottles of water and things on it, too, and use it like a shopping cart.)

In fact, you might want to consider going back to the hotel, in the afternoon. That's when the waiting lines are the longest. And it can get hot (in Florida.) Let the kid hit the pool, maybe take a nap.

----------

Again, assuming they have the same system as Florida, you might want to make restaurant reservations, now. (You can do them 6 months in advance, and some places get booked very quickly.)

Here in Florida, they have "character dining" restaurants, where some of the characters (which ones depends on the restaurant, and sometimes on which meal you're eating.) circulate through the dining room, and they will come to your table to sign autographs and pose for pictures. It's a great way to meet the characters without having to stand in line for them. They come to you.

Any advice to help with a toddler? Do they do fireworks during the week in November?

When I was planning our quick trip to Disney late last year, I found MouseSavers.com. There are a lot of tips and ideas there which I found to be very useful.

We went to Disney World, but they have a section on Disney Land.

• 7 months later...

Today's my last full day, here.

(Of course, highs were around 80, last week. Around 65, while we were here. And going up, tomorrow.

(Mom really can't tolerate cold. 65, indoors, wearing a hoody, and she's on the verge of having to go back to the room).

• 2 weeks later...

Got back yesterday. Had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. The people that worked there was top-notch. Disney must really do a really good job of training their "cast members." The parks were packed. Not quite as bad as when I went on the 4th a few years ago, but it was still packed, especially The Magic Kingdom and Disney Studios.

The only thing I wish Disney would do is have a fast lane for the people who stay at one of their resorts instead of having a limit on the fast passes you can get. That's the one thing Universal have over Disney IMO. But other than that, I have no complaints.

I have bashed Disney in the past but the last few months I've grown to appreciate Disney as I love their cute little creatures. Went on a shopping spree in the Disney Store in Tysons, they had some great deals there. Am currently hugging a big Pooh that was on sale there. :)

As for the actual park in FL, it's good. Epcot and Animal Kingdom were good, I didn't like WDW much as I was an adult at the time and I couldn't stand all the childish things there. Except for the time I was riding a Pooh ride for children, and Pooh just comes out of the tree as happy as can be with a bowl of "Hunny" in his hand. I've always been a huge Pooh fan for some reason. 

Kinda surprising. I take mom to Crystal Palace a lot. It's a restaurant in Magic Kingdom, near the castle. It's big attraction is that the Pooh characters (Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglett) circulate through the dining room, and will come to your table for photos and autographs.

And I'm under the impression that, while Pooh is the star, that Eeyore gets a lot more hug and fans. More people seem to relate to Eeyore.

Kinda surprising. I take mom to Crystal Palace a lot. It's a restaurant in Magic Kingdom, near the castle. It's big attraction is that the Pooh characters (Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglett) circulate through the dining room, and will come to your table for photos and autographs.

And I'm under the impression that, while Pooh is the star, that Eeyore gets a lot more hug and fans. More people seem to relate to Eeyore.

We ate there the last time we were at Disney. I thought the food was pretty good.

Mission Space is the most intense ride on the planet.

I almost passed out on that thing LOL. 

Random, but back in like 2005, we went to Disney December 13 - December 20th.  i believe my mom said at the time that the week before Christmas is the least busiest week of the year for Disney World.  It was ****ing awesome.  I've been to Disney World 10+ times, and have never seen it so empty.  The longest we waited for for any ride the entire week was no more than 10 minutes. 

When my wife and I have kids, we never plan on going to Disney any other time of year than the week before xmas. I remember going in the middle of the summer as a kid.  90 minutes for Space Mountain. two hours for The Haunted Mansion.  Hell, even 20 miniutes for the Mexico ride...ugh. 

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to Florida in April to visit some family in the Tampa area, and were thinking about stopping in Disney for a day or two.  We've taken the kids in January before, and it was awesome.  Very short lines. 

I know that Easter week is supposed to be absolute madness because of spring break or whatever.  But what about Easter Sunday itself?  I'm wondering if that particular day might be less crowded, with people returning home after their spring break (which are mostly the week before) or in church and doing family stuff.

Anyone ever been on Easter Sunday?

I almost passed out on that thing LOL. 

Random, but back in like 2005, we went to Disney December 13 - December 20th.  i believe my mom said at the time that the week before Christmas is the least busiest week of the year for Disney World.  It was ****ing awesome.  I've been to Disney World 10+ times, and have never seen it so empty.  The longest we waited for for any ride the entire week was no more than 10 minutes. 

When my wife and I have kids, we never plan on going to Disney any other time of year than the week before xmas. I remember going in the middle of the summer as a kid.  90 minutes for Space Mountain. two hours for The Haunted Mansion.  Hell, even 20 miniutes for the Mexico ride...ugh. 

I've gone in October before and its pretty dead then too.  Weather is typically low to mid 70's.  On top of that, Halloween Horror Nights which takes place at Universal Studios is awesome. 

We're going to Florida in April to visit some family in the Tampa area, and were thinking about stopping in Disney for a day or two.  We've taken the kids in January before, and it was awesome.  Very short lines. 

I know that Easter week is supposed to be absolute madness because of spring break or whatever.  But what about Easter Sunday itself?  I'm wondering if that particular day might be less crowded, with people returning home after their spring break (which are mostly the week before) or in church and doing family stuff.

Anyone ever been on Easter Sunday?

I believe Easter falls late in the month this year, but I read that the 2 weeks after Easter are pretty slow. My fiance and I planned our honeymoon for that week this year, so hopefully that stays true to form.

Also it seems Disney has introduced a new system for those that book ahead of time (day trips likely don't have the seem feature). Some magic wristband (almost like a fit band) that you have all of your meals, hotel key and fast-pass rides on. You just swipe it and proceed.

Archived