Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Off to Disney

Larry

larry are there adult only hotels at disney?

Certainly none that I know of. Or would want to stay at.

I agree with my Brother's comment on his last visit: At Disney, kids are part of the entertainment.

Just my opinion, but if you don't like being around kids, then Disney isn't for you. (Which doesn't mean that you can't get away from them, ever.)

If I win the lottery, all of us and the grandkids are going on the Disney cruise. I have a friend on one right now, and they're having the time of their lives. Darren says there are so many things to keep the kids occupied, that if you feel the need to engage in "adult activities", you have the time!

Certainly none that I know of. Or would want to stay at.

I agree with my Brother's comment on his last visit: At Disney, kids are part of the entertainment.

Just my opinion, but if you don't like being around kids, then Disney isn't for you. (Which doesn't mean that you can't get away from them, ever.)

Well kids are fine, just not babies lol

• 5 weeks later...
My family and I leave on Saturday. Our kids won't know until we wake them up at the crack of dawn that morning.

ha. they'll be thrilled.

i recommend getting the fast passes for rides you want to go on, such as the animal kingdom safari thingy. i waited from probably 90 mins when i could have gotten a fast pass and waited like 10 minutes.

oh, and dont be surprised when you see cars going 55 in the left lane. or not turning right at a red light.

orlando. worst drivers ever.

ha. they'll be thrilled.

i recommend getting the fast passes for rides you want to go on, such as the animal kingdom safari thingy. i waited from probably 90 mins when i could have gotten a fast pass and waited like 10 minutes.

oh, and dont be surprised when you see cars going 55 in the left lane. or not turning right at a red light.

orlando. worst drivers ever.

I'm bummed about the whole fast past thing now. They've changed the way you can use them. They used to let you use them past the window printed on the ticket. Earlier this year, they started enforcing the times. The trick with the animal safari is to go early. The lines are shorter and the animals more active before the heat of the day really picks up.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back instead of starting a new thread. My wife & I, daughters (5) and (9 1/2) and are headed to Disney for the first time end of this week. We leave Thursday early and plan on a relaxing Thursday - no real plans. Friday, Saturday, Sunday we are planning parks. Monday mid-am we return home.

We are staying at a value resort (Art of Animation) and are doing our best to have a good time. Work has been crazy for me and my wife has run w/ planning this vacation. She's done a great job. We have the Bibbidy Bop scheduled and Bfast w/ Mickey. We have 3 days of passes. The more people I talk to - the more I hear that we should do Magical Kingdom 2 of the days and another place the third. I have people I trust tell me Animal Kingdom is the way to go...then I hear Hollywood Disney something is awesome.....and then today I was thrown a curveball with someone telling me Epcot is a must see.

I went to Disney many...many years ago. I don't know how often we'll get to go as a family and I'd like this to be fun for the kids....so any thoughts on another park to see would be appreciated. We do not have a "hopper" pass.

Thanks,

GV

Have fun, we're going Christmas of this year. If I had three days, I'd do Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios (just because of the end of the night show. You and the youngins will enjoy that) and of course Magic Kingdom. You can't do Disney without seeing the castle. Even though I left out my personal favorite Epcot, you can't go wrong with that either.

Again, have fun.

Bringing this back instead of starting a new thread. My wife & I, daughters (5) and (9 1/2) and are headed to Disney for the first time end of this week. We leave Thursday early and plan on a relaxing Thursday - no real plans. Friday, Saturday, Sunday we are planning parks. Monday mid-am we return home.

We are staying at a value resort (Art of Animation) and are doing our best to have a good time. Work has been crazy for me and my wife has run w/ planning this vacation. She's done a great job. We have the Bibbidy Bop scheduled and Bfast w/ Mickey. We have 3 days of passes. The more people I talk to - the more I hear that we should do Magical Kingdom 2 of the days and another place the third. I have people I trust tell me Animal Kingdom is the way to go...then I hear Hollywood Disney something is awesome.....and then today I was thrown a curveball with someone telling me Epcot is a must see.

I went to Disney many...many years ago. I don't know how often we'll get to go as a family and I'd like this to be fun for the kids....so any thoughts on another park to see would be appreciated. We do not have a "hopper" pass.

Thanks,

GV

My advice would be to upgrade to a park hopper. You can do it when you get there. Each family is different, and mine goes nearly every year, but here's my advice:

Magic Kingdom:

With the anticipated crowd levels this time of year, you SHOULD be able to do all of the Magic Kingdom in one day (again depending on your family likes/dislikes). IF you get to the park at opening, start by going towards adventure land first. Hit splash mountain and big thunder mountain first. Then make your way to space mountain. Those are the rides which typically have the longest lines. Use Fastpasses. There are other popular attractions like Pirates or Haunted Mansion, but even if the line looks long it moves very quickly.

Since you are staying at a Disney Hotel, you are able to take advantage of the extra magic hours. Each day a park is open early or late if you are staying on property.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/2013-01-18/

I haven't been since they opened the new fantasy land expansion, so I can't say if that will add a significant amount of time to the day.

I say upgrade to park hopper if you can so that you can knock out two parks in one day. I'm not a huge fan of Animal kingdom. I do a handful of rides then we move on. IF you go, make sure you go early and ride the safari first thing in the morning. That's when the animals are most active. Last year we made it there at opening, and it's the only time I've seen the lion on the safari.

If your kids like thrill rides, Expedition everest is a great ride. as is Dinosaur. kind of scary depending on the age though.

Go to Epcot. It's a lot of fun. make sure you go on Soarin'. And make sure you get fast passes for it. The lines are ridiculous for this ride and they move slowly. Even if you have fast pass.

Based upon the way my family goes, we could knock out Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studio in 1 day. Hollywood studios does have the Rock N Roller coaster which is a lot of fun, and the Tower of Terror. Toy Story Mania is the Hollywood Studio's "Soarin'" ride. Also VERY LONG lines which move slowly.

Now, if you are at Epcot, you can leave at the back of the park (between france and england) and take a boat to the studios if you want. That save a lot of time in traveling.

I'd recommend www.allears.net for some help in figuring things out.

Are you doing the Chef Mickey Breakfast? Will you have access to a car?

Thanks for the replies....some really good info in there. We are doing Chef Mickey - but alas - no car. We'll look into upgrading to Hoppers. Definitely re-consider Epcot.

Epcot can be a lot of fun. especially for adults (that doesn't mean it's bad for kids though). You can work your way around the world showcase and grab a drink in each country. The rides in Epcot are a lot more of the slow moving sit and ride variety. Each country is mostly a bunch of shops, but there are some performances in each country to entertain kids.

Plus Epcot has Capt E.O. Just as bad as it was in the 80s....but in a corny way. It's always helped our kids to leave the park early in the afternoon to go back to the room to hit the pool and relax, then go back to the parks in the late afternoon/evening. crowds obviously are worse mid-day.

Chef Mickeys is nice. The characters do visit each table, and spend as much time at each to make the parents happy. The hotel wehre Chef Mickeys is has the monorail. so that would be a good day to hit either Magic Kingdom or Epcot. If you are going from Chef Mickeys to Magic Kingdom though, it might be worth it to just walk. It's only a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the park.

You have reservations for Chef Mickey's? I strongly recommend it, but in my experience, it's really tough to get in without reservations. (And it's tough to get reservations unless you do them 6 months in advance.)

Agree with the suggestion that Chef Mickey's is inside Contemporary (the hotel that the monorail actually passes inside of), so it's really easy to eat breakfast there, then go hit Magic Kingdom. You can take the monorail over, but it does take a while. (You're making almost an entire loop, and the monorail stops at every hotel.) Walking from Contemporary to Magic Kingdom is a bit of a hike (maybe 3/4 of a mile?), but it's very pleasant. (Depending on the weather. Weather bad? Take the monorail.)

Speaking of weather, weather in central Florida, this time of year, is tough to predict. We've had highs like 75-80 for the last week. But you MIGHT have highs in the 60s. Or the 40s. The odds are in your favor. But there is a small chance of some real cold.

You might want to consider getting an autograph book, before meeting the characters. All of the characters are trained to sign autographs while wearing really huge padded gloves on their hands. You don't have to buy an official Disney autograph book, they'll sign anything (You want Mickey Mouse to autograph your Mickey Mouse shirt? No problem. But if you want that, make sure you bring a sharpie. Mickey doesn't carry a pen. No pockets.)

You might want to get one of their official autograph pens, though. The characters have trouble with normal-sized pens. It's a lot easier for them to sign with the intentionally fat Disney pens. (Make sure that the pen is "out", when you hand it to them. It's hard for them to tell if it's in or out.)

The autograph books come just as a book, or in a version where every page has a place for an autograph on one side, and then a pouch where a photo can go, on the other side. You can take a picture of the character signing the book, or with your kid, and then later put the photo in with the autograph.

I've been told that, if you write your name and address in the autograph book, and it winds up in Lost and Found, Disney will mail the book to you.

If you like Chef Mickey's, (and I think it's a really safe bet that you will), then there's a restaurant over at Magic Kingdom, called Crystal Palace (it's near the castle) that has the same "formula". (It's a buffet, and the characters circulate through the dining room, and will come up to your table for autographs or pictures.) It's a bit easier to get into. (In fact, this time of year, you might be able to get in without reservations, without much wait.) The characters at Crystal Palace are Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet.

Any advice for Disneyland?

Wifey found a website that shows the best time of year to go (to avoid the masses). We're going to try and go at the end of Feb.

The only concern I have is that my son is 2 yrs. I don't think he'll really enjoy the park.

Me personally, we went around Christmas (Huge Mistake) for the first time ever!! It was so packed and we didn't enjoy anything. The only reason we went is cuz my sister had extra park hoppers so my wife and I went for free. I really enjoyed the rides we were able to go on and that's part of the reason to go back. So at this point, we're debating if we should even go.

Any advice for Disneyland?

Not from me. Went when I was like 9, haven't been back since.

Wifey found a website that shows the best time of year to go (to avoid the masses). We're going to try and go at the end of Feb.

Busy times at Disney, are when school's out. Christmas/New Years, Thanksgiving, summer, spring break.

The only concern I have is that my son is 2 yrs. I don't think he'll really enjoy the park.

I've seen a lot of kids that young really enjoy things.

They won't care about the Disney-ness of things. Well, they'll probably recognize Mickey Mouse. (Although there are kids who are scared of the characters, when they actually meet them. They'll be all happy and smiling and things, till the character gets like 3 feet away, and then they're terrified. The characters are a lot bigger than they are on TV.)

But they'll enjoy the toys. Balloons. Most of them will enjoy seeing the characters.

At least at Disney World, they have a stage show in front of the castle every hour or two. Mickey and Donald and Peter Pan and Princesses and things. Lots of music. Small fireworks. Lots of kids that age seem to enjoy just standing in front of the castle, dancing to the music.

At 2 years old, he won't remember it. But yeah, he'll be pretty happy.

Me personally, we went around Christmas (Huge Mistake) for the first time ever!! It was so packed and we didn't enjoy anything. The only reason we went is cuz my sister had extra park hoppers so my wife and I went for free. I really enjoyed the rides we were able to go on and that's part of the reason to go back. So at this point, we're debating if we should even go.

One thing they do, here, that I assume they also do in California.

Say you and wife want to ride Space Mountain. But the 2 year old can't.

• The three of you wait through the line for Space Mountain.
  • When you get to the place where you get on the ride, hand the kid to Wife, and you get on the ride.
  • A cast member will take wife and kid through a door, to the place where people are getting off the ride.
  • When you get off the ride, wife and kid are there.
  • Wife hands kid to you.
  • Cast member takes Wife back to the boarding area. Wife rides the ride.
  • When she's done, the three of you leave together.

You both got to ride the ride (although, not together). But you only waited through the line once.

Thanks,

GV

I'm going to be at Art of Animation this weekend as well. We're driving down Friday, leaving Wednesday. My mother-in-law is coming to help us with the girls (4 and 1), so we got a suite, which was still very reasonably priced. Lion King theme, the 4 yo is gonna freak! :)

We went over MLK weekend once before and it was great. Weather was nice, which it looks like it will be again, and the parks were not too crowded

If you don't have park hopper, frankly I'd consider skipping Epcot. Is there fun stuff to do there? Absolutely. Turtle Time with Crush is very cool, and some of the rides are neat. But you can do Epcot in half a day. It doesn't need a full day. I haven't done Animal Kingdom, but we're planning on it this year

One thing they do, here, that I assume they also do in California.

Say you and wife want to ride Space Mountain. But the 2 year old can't.

• When you get to the place where you get on the ride, hand the kid to Wife, and you get on the ride.
  • A cast member will take wife and kid through a door, to the place where people are getting off the ride.
  • Wife hands kid to you.

You both got to ride the ride (although, not together). But you only waited through the line once.

Really neat!! Didn't know that. We were really concerned about this aspect. Even invited friends and offered to pay for the room and gas for the trip. All they had to pay for was food and tickets to the park (which I get a discount through work).

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 03:24 PM ----------

Thanks Larry!!

I think it's impossible to do Epcot in a FULL day, much less a half a day. Each pavillion takes at least an hour to fully explore. Add to that the shows, bands, rides etc. And of course the representative ****tail in each country.....

I should have been more clear: You can knock out the things the kids will be interested in in half a day.

Grumpy, one other thing you should know about Epcot, particularly as it concerns the 5 year old. They have a fireworks display at night on the water that is pretty cool. It is also very loud. Like, rattle your ribcage loud. We were in England, I think, and my daughter was running for inside the restaurant in about 10 seconds. You may want to watch from a distance, depending on how you think they'll react to the noise.

I think it's impossible to do Epcot in a FULL day, much less a half a day. Each pavillion takes at least an hour to fully explore. Add to that the shows, bands, rides etc. And of course the representative ****tail in each country.....

Some of the countries in the world showcase don't really have a lot to them. Mexico has a ride. That's really about it. Norway is the same. The American Experience is mostly just a large restaurant and a movie to watch...same with Canada and France.

• Wife hands kid to you.

When I went last and did the Kid swap with my wife at Animal Kingdom, we went to the ride, and they gave us a fast pass. My wife was able to shop and look at other stuff while I waited in the line for the Ride. When I was done she then went on.

I'm going to be at Art of Animation this weekend as well. We're driving down Friday, leaving Wednesday. My mother-in-law is coming to help us with the girls (4 and 1), so we got a suite, which was still very reasonably priced. Lion King theme, the 4 yo is gonna

Yeah, I think those "family suites" was a really great idea Disney had. The idea that they needed a place for families of more than four.

I had always recommended the Cabins at Fort Wilderness for those groups. (And probably still will. The campground is a nice place, with all kinds of entertainment).

You probably already know this, but your suite will have a mini fridge, and a microwave. This might prove really useful for small kids (or adults) wanting snacks. I suspect, for example, that getting some yogurt, or juice boxes, might be really useful.

So a complete Disney World novice here but the wife and kids will want to go soon. We have two girls one just turned 4 and the other will turn 1 in February. The earliest we would go is this fall while the older one is still not in school. I dont really worry about the older one it is the younger one who will be about 20 months at the time. I have no idea how the park works all i know is that it is huge with many different areas that can be spread out far apart. Anyway I need suggestions that would be good for the 20 month old like good places to see and stay with a young one like that. We have a pretty decent budget so dont let that stop you from making any recomnedations.

So a complete Disney World novice here but the wife and kids will want to go soon. We have two girls one just turned 4 and the other will turn 1 in February. The earliest we would go is this fall while the older one is still not in school. I dont really worry about the older one it is the younger one who will be about 20 months at the time. I have no idea how the park works all i know is that it is huge with many different areas that can be spread out far apart. Anyway I need suggestions that would be good for the 20 month old like good places to see and stay with a young one like that. We have a pretty decent budget so dont let that stop you from making any recomnedations.

Book dining reservations within the next few weeks if you are looking for character meals. Especially Cinderellas breakfast. It books 6 months in advance and is sold out within 30 minutes every day.

Archived