Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Off to Disney

Larry

Nope. Going for the honeymoon and staying at one of the deluxe resorts with a 3-meal-a-day meal plan (so plan to do at least 1 high-end dining experience a day. Will have about 7 of those, so any suggestions are welcomed!)

Sounds like you're more looking for the really nice, adult, sit down restaurants. 

You've already mentioned two of the things I strongly recommend:  Wilderness Lodge and Le Cellier. 

I consider Wilderness to be by far the nicest of Disney's hotels.  To me, there's nothing at all to match the feeling of relaxation when you fight your way through the crowds all day, fight your way to the exit from the park, and then you step onto a boat, and sit down in a seat, and the boat quietly chugs across a lake, to your quiet, peaceful, hotel in the "wilderness" (that's only like a mile from the park). 

It's a really profound segue from the mob, to relaxation. 

And the best meals I've had, at Disney, have been at Artist Point, and Le Cellier.  (I'm really into really good, American-style, meat and fixins.  Lot of the food at Disney, I assume it's really authentic and international and all, but it's just not what I like.) 

The food at Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's isn't bad.  It's very good.  Incredible, for a buffet.  But, that's not the same as those two places. 

I've had some food I really liked at Coral Reef, at The Sea, at EPCOT.  It's mostly about the decor (one wall of the dining room is glass, looking into their tropical reef tank.)  Not sure if it's on the same level as Le Cellier or Artist Point, but I've had several things there that I really liked. 

I've had really good seafood at Narcoosees, at the Grand Floridian.  I've heard people say that Victoria and Alberts, at Grand Floridian, is supposedly the best restaurant at Disney, but Ive never gone that fancy. 

I get the impression that about half of EPCOT is restaurants.  (I think they now have like 6 restaurants, now, just at Italy.)  (They even have a special Florida Resident Annual Pass that's only good for admission to the back half of EPCOT, weekdays, after 4:00PM, for people who just want to go to the restaurants. 

Also heard REALLY good things about Don Shula's steak house, at one of the hotels.  But never been there. 

I've heard really good things about the new restaurant that just opened, in the Fantasyland expansion, Be Our Guest.  Had a friend who went there for lunch (which is a TON cheaper than dinner), and said it was fantastic.  Haven't personally met anybody who was able to get in for dinner (it's really tough to get reservations), but everything I've heard is fantastic.  (And it's the only place you can get alcohol, in Magic Kingdom.  They decided to break the rule Walt had imposed, forbidding alcohol in MK.) 

When I went in March 2012, I found undercovertourist.com to accurately represent park crowds based on historical trends. We planned our park visits based on that and it worked out really well.

It's also a good place to buy your tickets. They're cheaper than Disney.

Sounds like you're more looking for the really nice, adult, sit down restaurants. 

You've already mentioned two of the things I strongly recommend:  Wilderness Lodge and Le Cellier. 

I consider Wilderness to be by far the nicest of Disney's hotels.  To me, there's nothing at all to match the feeling of relaxation when you fight your way through the crowds all day, fight your way to the exit from the park, and then you step onto a boat, and sit down in a seat, and the boat quietly chugs across a lake, to your quiet, peaceful, hotel in the "wilderness" (that's only like a mile from the park). 

---

I've heard really good things about the new restaurant that just opened, in the Fantasyland expansion, Be Our Guest.  Had a friend who went there for lunch (which is a TON cheaper than dinner), and said it was fantastic.  Haven't personally met anybody who was able to get in for dinner (it's really tough to get reservations), but everything I've heard is fantastic.  (And it's the only place you can get alcohol, in Magic Kingdom.  They decided to break the rule Walt had imposed, forbidding alcohol in MK.) 

Awesome, that's great to hear, since we are staying at Wilderness Lodge and have made it a point to have at least two meals at Le Celliere and Artist Point. I think the way it works out is we have 3 meals for each day we are there. Since we are there 7 nights and 8 days, we get 24 meals (for essentially 7 full days).

A couple of the Character dining experiences require 2 meals ... while the luxury dining spots require 2 as well. We are planning on doing lunch and dinner every full day there, and just bringing nuts/fruit/etc. for snacks and breakfasts throughout the week, so it will work out that we will have about 7 chances to use "2 meals" on high end dining or character dining. We were told the Luau and Hoop-dee-doo comedy show were musts. Otherwise, we are trying to avoid going to other resorts for meals, and sticking to the WIlderness or the park we happen to be in that day.

Being that it's our honeymoon we thought we would just go with the Deluxe meal plan and not stress over the meals. My fiance was there a few years ago and was basically like, look ... you're not going to willingly spend $75 on a meal if you actually see the money going out of your pocket ... but if you pre-pay for it, you won't stress over how much meals cost. Of course, alcohol will not be included, but we aren't planning on getting lambasted every night of the honeymoon ... but when we do drink I'm sure we'll be fine to spend the money.

Awesome, that's great to hear, since we are staying at Wilderness Lodge and have made it a point to have at least two meals at Le Celliere and Artist Point. I think the way it works out is we have 3 meals for each day we are there. Since we are there 7 nights and 8 days, we get 24 meals (for essentially 7 full days).

A couple of the Character dining experiences require 2 meals ... while the luxury dining spots require 2 as well. We are planning on doing lunch and dinner every full day there, and just bringing nuts/fruit/etc. for snacks and breakfasts throughout the week, so it will work out that we will have about 7 chances to use "2 meals" on high end dining or character dining. We were told the Luau and Hoop-dee-doo comedy show were musts. Otherwise, we are trying to avoid going to other resorts for meals, and sticking to the WIlderness or the park we happen to be in that day.

Being that it's our honeymoon we thought we would just go with the Deluxe meal plan and not stress over the meals. My fiance was there a few years ago and was basically like, look ... you're not going to willingly spend $75 on a meal if you actually see the money going out of your pocket ... but if you pre-pay for it, you won't stress over how much meals cost. Of course, alcohol will not be included, but we aren't planning on getting lambasted every night of the honeymoon ... but when we do drink I'm sure we'll be fine to spend the money.

since it's your honeymoon....Larry made mention earlier of a restaurant called Victoria and Alberts. It's located in the Grand Floridian hotel. It's the site of the best meal I've ever had. Anywhere. So nice I went there twice.

It's not cheap by any stretch. Suit Jackets are required.

The first time my wife and I went, we were staying at the boardwalk, and had to take a bus to the magic kingdom, then a boat to the hotel. It was 90+ degrees. I was in a full on suit, tie and cufflinks. But the horribleness of that isn't what I think of. It was the meal. We ate at the chefs table in the kitchen. It was a 3 hour meal. It was fantastic. I don't regret the $400 I spent on that meal.

Le Cellier is not all that IMO. It's fine and all, but it gets more credit than it deserves. Chefs De France is better IMO.

A fun place to eat is The Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood studios.

Congrats on the marriage.

As to locations, Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian are just a monorail ride from Magic Kingdom.

And you might enjoy some of the buffets I mentioned earlier. They aren't as gourmet as the places we've mentioned, but they're very good, and seriously filling.

I went to Victoria and Alberts for my birthday one year.

It's amazing.  Im a big foodie type.  And I'd rank it easily in my top 5 restaurants where I have eaten.

It's multiple courses and pairings.  Great wine list.

And pricey but value.

Best foie gras I have ever had.

since it's your honeymoon....Larry made mention earlier of a restaurant called Victoria and Alberts. It's located in the Grand Floridian hotel. It's the site of the best meal I've ever had. Anywhere. So nice I went there twice.

It's not cheap by any stretch. Suit Jackets are required.

Okay, this place might be unaffiliated with Disney. It isn't listed under any of their resort dining categories, so I'm unlikely to go there since we already forked out the money for the Deluxe and need to use those up. But, maybe someday, as it sounds delicious.

Okay, this place might be unaffiliated with Disney. It isn't listed under any of their resort dining categories, so I'm unlikely to go there since we already forked out the money for the Deluxe and need to use those up. But, maybe someday, as it sounds delicious.

Yes, it's absolutely Disney.

But I just checked, and the only dining plan they accept is the Platinum plan.

I also suspect that their Spirit of Aloha dinner show, at Polynesian, is probably really good.

It also occurs to me, a lot of the places we're talking about, are tough to get into. You might want to be looking at making reservations. Lots of places might be booked, already.

Yeah ... I'm starting to make reservations this week. The Luau is the "Spirit of Aloha" which we definitely want to do. Yeah, we have a Deluxe plan (3 meals per day) and it wasn't listed as an option under any of the plans I saw on the Disney Dining site. Platinum makes sense.

I did the Luau back in like 1991 when my parents took us. From what I remember, it was a lot of fun.

I don't know how long you're going to be there, but there are some nice resorts to check out while you're there. The Boardwalk is nice (you can walk there from the back entrance of Epcot), and they have some nice restaurants you might be interested in.

I'm not really sure if the places fill up six months in advance, or if Disney only opens up a few reservations, that far out, and then adds more reservations to the pool, later. 

I've had places show as full, six months out.  And I've been able to get reservations, the day before. 

I assume that, it pays to check back, every so often. 

(Really wish Disney had a "email me if an opening opens up" option.  But assume that would just resemble the season ticket waiting line.) 

Some of these places are full 6 months before.  Better reserve as early as possible.

I was able to nail down the 5 reservations we wanted so that was nice. Got Artist Point (where we are staying) the first night, Hoop-dee-doo the 2nd night ... Yachtsman Steakhouse the 5th night, Spirit of Aloha Luau the 6th night and Le Celliere for lunch on the 2nd full day.

The rest we will fill in, but those are the ones we wanted to hammer in now. I'm pretty excited.

We are going for 6 days, 7 nights ... staying at Wilderness Lodge. I couldn't get off work to stay longer, but I think as we are both established in our careers in a year or two, might start making it a once every year or two vacation ... and if we do that we won't be too worried about cramming it all in this go-round.

I'm really torn in planning this in that I want it to be relaxing but we both also want to do as much as possible. We have a nice resort pool that I'm sure we'll be tempted to relax at one day ... but with so many parks and the hopper pass we are going to feel like we have to hit it all. We'll see ... should be a fun trip either way.

I think we want to do Animal Kingdom and Epcot more than the others, but we';ll see.

If you're considering a once-a-year thing, you might want to look at the Disney Vacation Club.  (Disney's time share.) 

I'm well aware that the word "timeshare" immediately makes people a skeptic.  And I'll confess that all I know about it is, I looked at it, like 7-8 years ago, after our family had a really nice Disney vacation (which turned out, later, to be the last one our whole family ever attended.  But that's a whole bunch of other worms), and I was constructing grandiose plans for making this trip an annual family-building experience. 

The 8-year-old numbers that I recall were along the lines of: 

For an initial "purchase" of around $30K, and a "condo fee" of around $1K/year, we would have enough "points" to reserve a two-bedroom suite, at the timeshare next door to Wilderness Lodge, for a 9-day stay, during the summer period, every year for the next 50 years. 

Since we had just completed a family vacation in which we had used three standard hotel rooms at Wilderness Lodge, those prices looked really, really attractive. 

If we knew that we were going to be doing it, every year, for a while. 

One reason why I didn't try to pull the handle was, my Nephew was 4 at the time, and I had a mental image of him, at age 8, saying "Do we have to go to Disney again?????" 

But, the impression I had was, if you want to make it a regular event, then those sure are some attractive prices.  (So much so, that I suspect that I must have missed something.) 

A friend of ours is in that Disney Club and her family loves it. When I say "regular" I'm not erally sure it would be every single year, just not a "once in a blue moon" trip ... so if we can't hit Test Track, we know we'll be back in the next couple years and do it then, kinda deal.

That does sound intriguing though if you plan to go every year. I think it balances out in the end (of the 50 years) at something like $1,600 a trip ... which is great ... but the problem with those time share deals is you get it and then don't get around to taking full advantage. That's where they get ya.

I was able to nail down the 5 reservations we wanted so that was nice. Got Artist Point (where we are staying) the first night, Hoop-dee-doo the 2nd night ... Yachtsman Steakhouse the 5th night, Spirit of Aloha Luau the 6th night and Le Celliere for lunch on the 2nd full day.

The rest we will fill in, but those are the ones we wanted to hammer in now. I'm pretty excited.

We are going for 6 days, 7 nights ... staying at Wilderness Lodge. I couldn't get off work to stay longer, but I think as we are both established in our careers in a year or two, might start making it a once every year or two vacation ... and if we do that we won't be too worried about cramming it all in this go-round.

I'm really torn in planning this in that I want it to be relaxing but we both also want to do as much as possible. We have a nice resort pool that I'm sure we'll be tempted to relax at one day ... but with so many parks and the hopper pass we are going to feel like we have to hit it all. We'll see ... should be a fun trip either way.

I think we want to do Animal Kingdom and Epcot more than the others, but we';ll see.

How much you get done likely will depends on the time of year you're going, and what you want to see/do. 6 days should be enough. Even if it's your first time. Staying on property will allow you extra time in the parks. They essentially get rid of everyone not on property by not allowing them on rides past a certain time (in the evenings), or not allowing them in until after a certain time (in the morning).

Without planning too much, I'd go to Epcot on the day you're going to the Yachtsman steakhouse (or in the evening after dinner). You can walk there from the back-entrance of the park. It's only a few hundred yards away.

There are a handful of rides which are absolutely fast pass necessary. Soarin' in Epcot and Toy Story Mania in Hollywood studios. The stand-by times for those are beyond insane at times.

A friend of ours is in that Disney Club and her family loves it. When I say "regular" I'm not erally sure it would be every single year, just not a "once in a blue moon" trip ... so if we can't hit Test Track, we know we'll be back in the next couple years and do it then, kinda deal.

That does sound intriguing though if you plan to go every year. I think it balances out in the end (of the 50 years) at something like $1,600 a trip ... which is great ... but the problem with those time share deals is you get it and then don't get around to taking full advantage. That's where they get ya.

My wife and I bought Disney Vacation club back in 2006 or 2007. I forget exactly when. Our initial buy in was about $20k, with a yearly maintenance fee of ~$1000. We have been able to take extended family on trips there with us. They also have a very nice resort in Hilton Head Island, on the gulf Coast of Florida, and one in Hawaii which opened up a few years ago. The rooms are not typical hotel rooms. Anything larger than a studio has a full kitchen and master bath and washer/dryer. Which comes in handy after a day at the parks. They also exchange with RCI, so you have many more options available than just Walt disney world or Disneyland.

Going with 2 kids and staying in what amounts to a Holiday Inn style room didn't sit with us too well. some people are fine with that.  At the least, we get a 1 bedroom, and make the kids sleep on the pullout couch. This summer my wife and I are going with us (a family of 4) and taking along her cousins family (a family of 3) and staying in a 2 bedroom villa.

I will note that you don;t have to go every year.

You're allowed to sell your points to other members. You're allowed to in effect "rent out your room" to non-members. You're allowed to "bank" your points, and spend them the next year.

(You also don't have to do the same thing every year. You can spend your points on a Disney cruise, for example. Or stay in different places.)

(But, of course, there are rules for all of these, too.)

But, yeah, I think we had just spent something like $18,000, on that one vacation. (You think spending 9 days at Wilderness Lodge is expensive, try using three hotel rooms.)

$30K, once, and $1K/year, to get something that wasn't quite as nice as three hotel rooms, (A suite with 2 bedrooms, and a sleeper sofa in the living room), but it was almost as nice (and maybe better, in some ways), sure did look attractive.

Staying on property will allow you extra time in the parks. They essentially get rid of everyone not on property by not allowing them on rides past a certain time (in the evenings), or not allowing them in until after a certain time (in the morning).

This is one of the special perks Disney gives to people who stay in the Disney hotels. They call if "Extra Magic Hours".

Every day, one of the parks will open up an hour or two early, or will stay open late (sometimes, they'll stay open like like 2AM). But, only for people who are staying in the Disney hotels.

(As I understand it, you'll have to carry your hotel room keycard, even though your wristband unlocks your hotel room, because the folks who are checking to see if you're staying in a Disney hotel can't read your wristband to verify that you're staying there. You have to show them the card.)

That can be a GREAT time to hit the rides that have a really long line. (I've had people tell me about Dad and teenage son riding Space Mountain, then getting off, getting right back in the entrance, and riding it again, without waiting in line, for four hours straight.)

It can be a little tough to find out which park it is that's got the hours, that day, and whether it's early or late. When you check in to the hotel, they'll give you a "Times Guide" that will list all of them. But finding the information on their web site, well before the trip? I'd have to spend a lot of time, to find it.

This is one of the special perks Disney gives to people who stay in the Disney hotels. They call if "Extra Magic Hours".

Every day, one of the parks will open up an hour or two early, or will stay open late (sometimes, they'll stay open like like 2AM). But, only for people who are staying in the Disney hotels.

(As I understand it, you'll have to carry your hotel room keycard, even though your wristband unlocks your hotel room, because the folks who are checking to see if you're staying in a Disney hotel can't read your wristband to verify that you're staying there. You have to show them the card.)

That can be a GREAT time to hit the rides that have a really long line. (I've had people tell me about Dad and teenage son riding Space Mountain, then getting off, getting right back in the entrance, and riding it again, without waiting in line, for four hours straight.)

It can be a little tough to find out which park it is that's got the hours, that day, and whether it's early or late. When you check in to the hotel, they'll give you a "Times Guide" that will list all of them. But finding the information on their web site, well before the trip? I'd have to spend a lot of time, to find it.

My wife and I went back in 2005 (before we had kids) we were staying at the Boardwalk Villas on a family members timeshare. It was 9pm, and we were just walking around the boardwalk, and decided to head over to MGM to do something. We ended up riding Rockin' Roller coaster 3x consecutively. No line. At all. They didn't even make people watch the pre-show movie. They just let us walk right on through.

JamesmadisonSkins: A word of advice on Animal Kingdom. Get there at rope drop. Hightail it to the Safari. in the back left quadrant of the park. That's when the animals are most active. That park gets hotter than all the other ones, and it's the largest of all them.

My wife and I bought Disney Vacation club back in 2006 or 2007. I forget exactly when. Our initial buy in was about $20k, with a yearly maintenance fee of ~$1000. 

Going with 2 kids and staying in what amounts to a Holiday Inn style room didn't sit with us too well. some people are fine with that.  At the least, we get a 1 bedroom, and make the kids sleep on the pullout couch. This summer my wife and I are going with us (a family of 4) and taking along her cousins family (a family of 3) and staying in a 2 bedroom villa.

:blink:  wtf?!

sorry- i think i just had a heart attack. 

i've been to disney the last 3 years. one thing i like about the area is that you can rent a house real cheap. the last 2 years, we went with some family friends and stayed in a really nice 6BR house with a screened in pool and hot tub. it was about $1,000 total, split like 4 ways. 

on the contrary, when we've gone to the outer banks, we've rented houses a block or two from the beach for close to $4,000 (6-7 br houses with a pool and hot tub).

as for animal kingdom, i waited in that line for about 90 minutes while little ****s with speed passes rolled past us. got out there and the goddam lions were hiding. ****ers.

nothing like spending $500 to stand in lines in the hot sun. shoot me if i ever agree to do that again. 

(but i will :P  )

:blink:  wtf?!

sorry- i think i just had a heart attack. 

i've been to disney the last 3 years. one thing i like about the area is that you can rent a house real cheap. the last 2 years, we went with some family friends and stayed in a really nice 6BR house with a screened in pool and hot tub. it was about $1,000 total, split like 4 ways. 

on the contrary, when we've gone to the outer banks, we've rented houses a block or two from the beach for close to $4,000 (6-7 br houses with a pool and hot tub).

It's all in how you want to vacation. It's certainly not a 1 size fits all. We like to stay on property at disney. It's easy. I don't need to rent a car if I don't want one. I don't waste time driving 20 minutes to the parks, then waiting for a monorail or a boat or a tram to get me to the front gate.

And, like i stated, I can use it to go any place RCI is affiliated with.

Seconding the advice about doing Animal Kingdom early. For several reasons.

I have no idea why, but that park seems to get hotter than the others. And it's a lot more spread out, so you'll be walking a lot.

And it closes earlier. If you take the train ride to Rafiki's Planet Watch, they'll explain why. (It takes them two hours to get the animals into their nighttime cages, and they have to be in there by sunset.).

The safari ride is a high demand ride. It's not unusual for them to run out of fast passes for the day. (Hopefully, being able to get passes earlier might help with that.).

I'd strongly recommend the Lion King show. It's a live stage show in the round, so to speak. Live performers singing songs from Lion King, with acrobats, gymnasts, and so forth. I think they have fantastic performers. And I think Lion King has the best music of any Disney movie.

(And unlike a lot of the Disney stage shows, they're really singing, not lip synching to a tape. These people are REALLY good).

If you can get reservations at Tusker House, before the park opens, then you can get into the park early, eat a big breakfast buffet, and when you cone out, you'll be right at the safari entrance.

Archived