Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buzzfeed: Jon Huntsman Trashes GOP, Expresses Campaign Regrets

AsburySkinsFan

Amazing how many of us have been saying these same things for years.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/jon-huntsman-trashes-gop-expresses-campaign-regre

Former Republican candidate Jon Huntsman took a battle axe to his own party, comparing it to China's Communist Party and criticizing it's standard bearer in a wide-ranging interview at the 92nd Street Y Sunday night.

Recounting his first experience on the presidential debate stage in Iowa last August, Huntsman says he was struck by the question "Is this the best we could do?"

Huntsman, the former Utah governor and once President Barack Obama's Ambassador to China, expressed disappointment that the Republican Party disinvited him from a Florida fundraiser in March after he publicly called for a third party.

"This is what they do in China on party matters if you talk off script," he said.

Huntsman said he regrets his decision to oppose a 10-to-1 spending cuts to tax increase deal to cut the deficit at the Iowa debate lamenting: “if you can only do certain things over again in life.”

"What went through my head was if I veer at all from my pledge not to raise any taxes…then I’m going to have to do a lot of explaining," he explained. "What was going through my mind was 'don't I just want to get through this?'"

That decision, Huntsman said, "has caused me a lot of heartburn.”

Huntsman jokingly blamed his failed candidacy in part on his wife, Mary Kaye, who told him she'd leave him if he abandoned his principles.

“She said if you pandered, if you sign any of those damn pledges, I’ll leave you,” Huntsman recounted.

"So I had to say I believe in science — and people on stage look at you quizzically as though you're was an oddball," Huntsman said, explaining why he was "toast" in Iowa.

Asked by journalist Jeff Greenfield if he could win the nomination of the Republican Party in Utah today, Huntsman said he could not, saying later that Ronald Reagan would "likely not" be able to win the GOP nomination nationally in this political climate.

On foreign policy, Huntsman questioned his former Republican opponents' hard-line positions on China. "I don’t know what world these people are living in," he said, not naming Mitt Romney by name.

Though he categorically ruled out being Romney's running mate, Huntsman stood by his tepid endorsement of Romney, saying he would manage legislation through Congress more effectively.

But Huntsman said Romney has to campaign on more than fear, and provide a positive alternative to Obama.

“He’ll have to work hard on making sure that happens,” he said.

I remember about two months ago when he took a few shots at the GOP,(good points of course),and there was a bit of a return fire from someone in the GOP. Have to try and find it. Some interesting comments there for sure. Oh. And I'm not totally convinced he couldn't win here again.

Edit: Here it is,(no comment from GOP though).

http://thehill.com/video/campaign/212187-huntsman-gop-debates-wasting-time-party-lacking-in-big-ideas

He wasnt my chosen candidate, though I would have supported him as the nominee. The only thing that bugged me about his policy positions is that he took the neo-con route on pre-emptive attacks on Iran. I agree with what he is saying about the awful GOP leadership and tactics of eliminating those that dont tow the party line.

Huntsman is the one name-brand Republican I truly could vote for. He is a fully developed person as opposed to the overdeveloped half-personalities who have dominated the GOP field. Huntsman seems to simultaneously have principles and be reasonable. As such, he's completely unique in the GOP field.

Too bad the GOP's major backers and cable-news marketing wing aren't interested in that sort of thing.

:) the trend continues

ya'll are gonna make me think twice about my supporting him :ols:

http://theothermccain.com/2012/04/23/governor-asterisk-update-republican-who-endorsed-romney-trashes-gop/

What did $7 million buy him? Seventh place in Iowa (739 votes, 0.6%) and third place in New Hampshire (41,495 votes, 16.9%), the latter result in an open primary where exit polls showed Huntsman “handily won groups of voters satisfied with the Obama administration and opposed to the Tea Party,” as the New York Times reported. “Similarly, he won self-described Democrats by a nearly 20-point margin over Ron Paul.”

So when he does get the nomination in 8 years, we won't see a McCain like reversal from the media/libs at that point?

McCain was everyone's favorite Republican in 2000

The McCain of 2000 was not the McCain of 2008. McCain of 2008 was someone even McCain admitted he wasn't proud of. Then, you add in Palin and whoo-boy. Besides, after eight years of GOP and Bush, McCain had no chance.

I mean even McCain was running against the GOP record. That's why he was a "maverick" if you can call someone a maverick who voted with the party 93% of the time a maverick.

The good thing about this is that each party should be fraught with internal struggles and wrestle for its identity. In recent years, the Republican party has appeared to inflexible and monolithic.

I get the impression that they've been a little yappy, ankle biting chihuahua leading around an elephant by a leash. A small, vocal faction creating an impression of monolithicness because that elephant was silent. But it was obvious the elephant wasn't happy with the way it turned out during threatened shutdowns last summer, and that it would lose the election if it continued ignoring the little sob, so the elephant crapped on the chihuahua and it's covered up with ES (npi) right now but it's going to dig itself out right after the election.

Maybe not as sage as your take but it's a mental image that makes me happy.

As he campaigned, I would vote for him.

I said throughout the early part of the campaign that he was the one GOP I would have been able to get my vote, that surprised folks because he is a fiscal conservative, but for me it is the fact that he's smart and doesn't see that as a hindrance to the Presidency, he's a statesman, and he's willing to cross lines, which in this zero sum era of politics is refreshing.

I voted for him in the primary even though he had dropped out months ago. It's a shame that rationality, reason, pragmatism, and good ideas have no place in American politics any more. (And this is NOT just a problem for the GOP. Though I will FULLY admit it IS a BIGGER problem for us.)

Jon Huntsman = John McCain before he ran. Everyone loves the guy until he becomes the GOP choice.

Would you settle for "everybody loved him, before he did the things that he had to do, to become the GOP nominee"?

:halo:

The GOP is an absolutely unbelievable laughing stock, with opinions that border on dangerous IMO. I'm glad I've made myself much more disconnected.

Yes a laughing stock who's candidate is running neck and neck with Obama. I think it's dangerous and partisan to dismiss the GOP candiates based upon some of their whackadoodle policies. Fact is what they are selling appeals to many Americans.

Yes a laughing stock who's candidate is running neck and neck with Obama. I think it's dangerous and partisan to dismiss the GOP candiates based upon some of their whackadoodle policies. Fact is what they are selling appeals to many Americans.

I'll point out that he said that their policies were incredible, and dangerous. He didn't say that their marketing department wasn't successful.

Jon Huntsman = John McCain before he ran. Everyone loves the guy until he becomes the GOP choice.

That's exactly the critism of the GOP. They take the most popular politician in the country in 2003, make him recant every achievement or political position which appealed to moderates and independents; and then blame him for failing to broaden his base and attract those voters... Oh and add to that the GOP base McCain sold his soul to attract, pretty much stayed hom in 2008 anyway.

There are a number of similarities and differences between Romney and McCain. Romney is a career moderate even liberal who was forced to the right. McCain was a career conservative.

McCain challenged the religious leaders who dominate the GOP via his campaign finance reform package he was forced to refute..( his own law). Which evidently makes him even less popular among religious right leaders than a mormon.

The bigg difference between the two is it looks like Romney is going to try to get back to the middle and compete with Obama from the middle where as every Republican since Reagan has really pushed to the right trusting in the conservative majority to come out and support them. Romney seems like he's going to push to the center which is typically what the Dems have done so well.

This guy had the same positions as Mitt Romney on virtually every issue, the difference being that he presented them in a more conciliatory tone rather than the critical tone Romney uses to try and make himself sound like a "conservative". Apparently that makes all the difference in the world?

Archived