Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Indy could go with The LUCKy Horseshoe Or the Tres

KDawg

I'm just saying that Irsay probably won't let anyone know ahead of time no matter who it is.There's no advantage to signing anyone early since there's not much to haggle over contract wise. The downside is that everyone knows who the Redskins will pick once the Colts make their choice known.

I agreed with you, brother :)

I

It's most certainly NOT my opinion. But yes, I agree. I think it's ridiculous that so many people are married to RG3. The premise of this thread was to say it's possible that the Colts take him and to get 'Skins fans ready in case it does happen.

I certainly am acknowledging that many 'Skins fans are losing their minds. Give me either one. So I'll sit back and watch this all unfold with a smile on my face :)

I'm with ya. I honestly could care less which one we get. I honestly can't even say which one I'd rather have. My gut says they will both be fantastic in their own right. I think Luck is more a sure thing (if such a thing exists) while RG3 might be a transformational player (ie someone who changes the way the position is played). I will be ecstatic regardless.

It's all human nature to get antsy. Indy's going to take Luck, because that is who Irsay wants and Indy fans want. What Griffin has done is make them think for the first time in a year "Are we making the right decision." Human nature on their part. Whereas up until January it was a slam dunk for Luck. No question. RG is making them pause a bit. Now all the sudden you have a Oden or Durant situation. No one wants to be Oden. Yet, I think both are going to turn out to be excellent NFL quarterbacks. Both teams win.

The two will always be tied together. The question will be four years from now, "who made the better decision." Hopefully both did.

Didn't Shanny draft Cutler, without even visiting with him?
Yup. And it could happen with Indy. Again, the point of the OP was that it could happen, with my hypothesis still being that it likely wouldn't. That continues to fly by people's heads.

This makes no sense.

Unlike Shanahan with the Broncos, the Colts have the #1 pick in the draft. They don't have to worry about someone else coming in and swooping up the QB they want. Shanahan had to jump up to #11 to get Cutler, and there were at least 14 teams ahead of him that could have drafted Cutler instead. Irsay and the Colts don't have ANY of those issues to deal with...so they don't need to put up a smoke screen or confuse anyone or do things in secret...it serves absolutely no purpose for them to do so.

This is kind of a silly statement, Conn.

"Pretty big deal, possibly".

And I retort with: Yes, I agree. Or it could mean nothing, possibly.

I try not to read the tealeaves too much. I wait for the actual event to occur before getting too wrapped up in it. So that's what I'm doing here. I have my suspicions about what's going to happen, hell, even something that I'm nearly positive is going to happen. But it's never over til the fat lady (Goodell) sings.

What could possibly be the reason behind not bringing in RG3 for a workout? I see no logical reason whatsoever for that, if the decision between Luck/RG3 has not been made yet.

Still doesn't alter the fact that nothings certain until it's official Cali.

The pragmatic premise of KD's OP really can't be argued, straight faced. The fact that we almost all to a man, including KD, believe Luck is 99.9% certain to be a Colt is neither here nor there to that.

Hail.

But it has dissolved into "Hey, Shanahan didn't meet with Cutler before drafting him, so maybe the Colts are doing the same thing with RG3! Could happen!!" lol...that's complete and utter nonsense.

Unlike any other team in the draft, you can start to look for REAL signs of what the Colts will do with the #1 pick...they aren't throwing up smoke screens because smoke screens don't help them one iota. In fact, they would actually be helped by showing an obvious interest in drafting RG3, because if Shanahan is indeed in love with Griffin, it might get him on the phone with the Colts to try and see what could be done to make sure they get their guy.

Again Cali, you, me, the OP, and most every man and his dog can say (and we almost all to a man do) that that's 'complete and utter nonsense.'

But in reality, that's a completely baseless statement talking in absolutes that have yet to happen. Just because everything indicates it something will happen, doesn't mean that it actually will. Which leads back to the pragmatic approach of the OP that really can't be argued.in any shape or form, however much people try.

Unless of course your privy to some signature from some former Stanford kid already on some Colts headed paper that nobody else knows about. ;)

Hail.

I personally think that ESPN and other national media outlets are responsible for putting Luck aside and hyping up Griffin.... solely because of how convinced they are Luck will go #1.

Agreed. As intriguing as Griffin is, the Colts would be insane to not take Luck. And I don't think they're insane. But if they are, then we profit by their insanity, landing the best QB prospect in many, many years.

Unlike any other team in the draft, you can start to look for REAL signs of what the Colts will do with the #1 pick...

You mean like working him out privately & not working out RG3 since at the private workout they can also start working on his contract.

Or maybe that RG3's Pro Day, he ran our offense while Luck, on his Pro Day, ran Indy's offense.

You mean like working him out privately & not working out RG3 since at the private workout they can also start working on his contract.

Or maybe that RG3's Pro Day, he ran our offense while Luck, on his Pro Day, ran Indy's offense.

What exactly has to go in to these rookie contracts now? With the new CBA, isn't the money value pretty much already set as well as how long they can be made for? So what else do they put in these things, how many vacation days he can take ? I guess I should have gone to law school for professional sports contracts to really understand how these can take so long to put together.

This makes no sense.

Unlike Shanahan with the Broncos, the Colts have the #1 pick in the draft. They don't have to worry about someone else coming in and swooping up the QB they want. Shanahan had to jump up to #11 to get Cutler, and there were at least 14 teams ahead of him that could have drafted Cutler instead. Irsay and the Colts don't have ANY of those issues to deal with...so they don't need to put up a smoke screen or confuse anyone or do things in secret...it serves absolutely no purpose for them to do so.

It makes plenty of sense. You think the Colts don't know what both Luck and RG3 can do by now? Yes, I agree. It's extremely likely that they're working out Luck and not RG3 because that's who they're going to take.

What could possibly be the reason behind not bringing in RG3 for a workout? I see no logical reason whatsoever for that, if the decision between Luck/RG3 has not been made yet.

Because they know what both of them can do already. In fact, the nation knows what both of them can do already. But again, if you really want me to play devil's advocate, I will: They're bringing Luck in to make sure he fits exactly what they want. He'll likely workout with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to make sure that he's the exact fit they want. He'll probably run the offense with receivers and backs. If they decide that Luck didn't do what they wanted, they may change course... Remember, they're starting from essentially scratch with the whole thing, they're not locked into any kind of system yet.

On the flip side, they absolutely could be bringing in Luck to start contract talks. Not that there's a whole lot to talk about with the rookie wage scale in place, but it really could be the prelude to drafting him. And again, it likely is.

Besides that, why can't they still schedule a workout with Griffin?Just because it hasn't been scheduled doesn't mean it won't be, unless I'm missing some workout window.

But it has dissolved into "Hey, Shanahan didn't meet with Cutler before drafting him, so maybe the Colts are doing the same thing with RG3! Could happen!!" lol...that's complete and utter nonsense.

No it hasn't. The thread hasn't dissolved into anything. It's been the same from the beginning. Anything can happen with this situation.

they aren't throwing up smoke screens because smoke screens don't help them one iota. In fact, they would actually be helped by showing an obvious interest in drafting RG3, because if Shanahan is indeed in love with Griffin, it might get him on the phone with the Colts to try and see what could be done to make sure they get their guy.

If they showed interest in Griffin, with no intent in drafting Griffin as you outlined above, that's a smoke screen. I'd say that could help them plenty. It probably won't, because the 'Skins don't have a damn thing to trade at this point, and they'd likely be extremely happy with Luck at quarterback anyways. But you're right. Showing interest in Griffin can only help them.

I've never argued that...

It's exhausting saying the same thing over and over.

Those are fairly telling signs. And I'd agree, it's extremely likely we'll have RG3 at QB come April 26th.

---------- Post added March-27th-2012 at 07:41 AM ----------

Agreed. As intriguing as Griffin is, the Colts would be insane to not take Luck. And I don't think they're insane. But if they are, then we profit by their insanity, landing the best QB prospect in many, many years.

I underlined a portion of your post in the quote above. That's the exact premise of the thread. Nothing has been done, yet. It could happen, and they could make the decision to take Griffin. In which case, I'll be damn excited. Or they could stick with the plan and take Luck, it which case I'll be damn excited.

Again Cali, you, me, the OP, and most every man and his dog can say (and we almost all to a man do) that that's 'complete and utter nonsense.'

But in reality, that's a completely baseless statement talking in absolutes that have yet to happen. Just because everything indicates it something will happen, doesn't mean that it actually will. Which leads back to the pragmatic approach of the OP that really can't be argued.in any shape or form, however much people try.

That's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that claiming the Colts might be trying to hide which QB they intend to pick to try and gain some advantage like Shanahan did with Cutler is complete, utter nonsense. The Colts gain ZERO by playing stupid draft day games. If the Colts have a private workout with Luck but not with RG3, then, yes, it means they are far more likely to be drafting Luck than Griffin...Shanny and Cutler have no parallel to the Colts and Luck and/or RG3. I wish people would stop using it as an example of why we shouldn't "trust" anything the Colts do right now, because the level of stupidity in that argument is baffling. It would make more sense to claim that the Colts might have some doubts about Luck that they do not have about RG3 and THAT'S why they're having a private workout with the guy...and even that argument is on shaky ground lol...

Unless of course your privy to some signature from some former Stanford kid already on some Colts headed paper that nobody else knows about. ;)

Hail.

Nope, I'm just privy to logic lol ;)...

Luck but not with RG3, then, yes, it means they are far more likely to be drafting Luck than Griffin...

This has always been the case.

Shanny and Cutler have no parallel to the Colts and Luck and/or RG3.

On a whole, I agree with this statement. But it is possible that they could draft Griffin without a workout. Not likely, but still possible. That's the parallel. It's not, however, the same situation as Cutler to Denver.

Nope, I'm just privy to logic lol ;)...

Logic does not always equal cold, hard fact. Again, that's the point.

Exactly lol :yes:...

Or, we can sit vigilantly at our computer screens and come up with all sorts of illogical reasons why Occam's razor doesn't apply to this particular scenario...

Your doing the exact same thing again that brought about the OP Cali.

Talking in 'absolutes.' You, me, KD and whomever else (and we're all pretty much on the same page here in believing right through this Luck would go #1 to whomever, that turned out to be Indianapolis); can claim it's logical to think every point you posted above.

But you can't say for certain that will happen. And as such, you can't rubbish something as 'complete and utter nonsense.'

This isn't a 'he's right/ your wrong' thing. This is just a frustration at people, in many cases you could claim arrogantly, saying for sure something's going to happen before it actually has.

Hail.

Your doing the exact same thing again that brought about the OP Cali.

Talking in 'absolutes.' You, me, KD and whomever else (and we're all pretty much on the same page here in believing right through this Luck would go #1 to whomever, that turned out to be Indianapolis); can claim it's logical to think every point you posted above.

But you can't say for certain that will happen. And as such, you can't rubbish something as 'complete and utter nonsense.'

This isn't a 'he's right/ your wrong' thing. This is just a frustration at people, in many cases you could claim arrogantly, saying for sure something's going to happen before it actually has.

Hail.

This post is so on the money I can't even begin to tell you.

Let me say it again, for the 700th time in this thread:

I think our insiders are on the money and know what they're talking about. I think Irsay IS infatuated with Andrew Luck. I think that Andrew Luck will be selected with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. I have yet to see anyone in this thread say otherwise. No one thinks they're GOING to take Griffin. But since it hasn't been actually done yet, the possibility exists. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Logic does not always equal cold, hard fact. Again, that's the point.

Logic BORN from "cold, hard facts", though, tends to strengthen an argument. And the cold, hard facts are that:

1) The Colts are having a private workout with Luck, and (so far) not with Griffin.

2) As TK just reminded us, RG3 ran drills that mimicked the Skins offense while Luck ran drills that would apply better to the Colts' offense.

3) Since the Colts have the #1 draft pick there's no tactical advantage to championing Andrew Luck for months on end, to the point of the owner saying it doesn't matter how well Griffin does at his pro day, Luck is and will always be their guy--just to turn around and draft Griffin instead.

4) The Colts are (again, so far) giving themselves opportunities to bang out a contract with Luck in advance of the draft that they're not giving themselves with regards to RG3.

The logic that should flow from those "cold, hard facts" should be that Luck is their guy as they've been proclaiming all along...and arguments about smokescreens and "you never know/Shanahan did it with Cutler" should not be given the same weight and validity, yet that's happening over the last few pages of this thread. Is it possible that they draft Griffin? Sure. It's also possible that I get swept up in a tornado this afternoon. But considering that the skies are clear and the weather is calm and this area has probably had one tornado over the last 20 years, I think worrying about that possibility is a waste of time lol...and no, I'm not saying that the Colts drafting Griffin is as likely as me getting swept up in a tornado, but the point remains: if all the "cold, hard facts" all point in one direction, how much time and energy should be spent worrying about things that, while theoretically still "possible", aren't at all likely to happen?

The logic that should flow from those "cold, hard facts" should be that Luck is their guy as they've been proclaiming all along...and arguments about smokescreens and "you never know/Shanahan did it with Cutler" should not be given the same weight and validity, yet that's happening over the last few pages of this thread. Is it possible that they draft Griffin? Sure. It's also possible that I get swept up in a tornado this afternoon. But considering that the skies are clear and the weather is calm and this area has probably had one tornado over the last 20 years, I think worrying about that possibility is a waste of time lol...and no, I'm not saying that the Colts drafting Griffin is as likely as me getting swept up in a tornado, but the point remains: if all the "cold, hard facts" all point in one direction, how much time and energy should be spent worrying about things that, while theoretically still "possible", aren't at all likely to happen?

All things I've agreed with...

Except, whose worrying?

Archived