Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Indy could go with The LUCKy Horseshoe Or the Tres

KDawg

I've seen enough people question LL and the like on the issue that I would say "some" people have more fear then a "wait and see approach" - which is why I say relax. I think it's more a factor of DC franchises being snakebitten that injects people with this fear that if something can go wrong that it will go wrong.

I understand not counting your eggs until they hatch - for once though, just like our future franchise QB, lets have some confidence that our luck is about to change.

Excuse me, but our luck has ALREADY changed.

Getting Andrew Luck IS good luck.

Getting Robert Griffin IS good luck. I don't buy it's a debbie downer argument to say that we may wind up with Luck. Sorry.

It shouldn't, but we know in reality it does many times.

I'm still convinced to this day if we hadn't collectively revolted to the extent we did when the Jim Fassel talks broke; he'd of been the HC here rather than Zorn.

Hail.

Exactly my point and example I was going to use

Excuse me, but our luck has ALREADY changed.

Getting Andrew Luck IS good luck.

Getting Robert Griffin IS good luck. I don't buy it's a debbie downer argument to say that we may wind up with Luck. Sorry.

If you haven't read some of my other posts let me be the first to say: count me in the "would be absolutely thrilled to get Andrew Luck" fanclub. I'm not just some RG3 homer and totally agree with you that this is a win-win situation. My comment is more to the "debbie downers" that think the writing isn't already on the wall as to how the 1-2 picks will go down.

I'm thoroughly convinced that 80% of this recent RG3 over Luck hype is contrived from ESPN/NFLN to polarize people and increase ratings/conversation as the draft nears because otherwise it'll be a boring event until the 3rd pick for them.

If you haven't read some of my other posts let me be the first to say: count me in the "would be absolutely thrilled to get Andrew Luck" fanclub. I'm not just some RG3 homer and totally agree with you that this is a win-win situation. My comment is more to the "debbie downers" that think the writing isn't already on the wall as to how the 1-2 picks will go down.

I'm thoroughly convinced that 80% of this recent RG3 over Luck hype is contrived from ESPN/NFLN to polarize people and increase ratings/conversation as the draft nears because otherwise it'll be a boring event until the 3rd pick for them.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, Teddy. To be honest. And I'm fairly sure RG3 will be available at pick #2 for us to take. But I can't be sure. And there are so many people here that are 100% married to the idea, that it's scary to think how much of a melt down some may have if it were Luck who fell to us. Luck compares EXTREMELY well on an athletic level to Cam Newton. He's big, strong, fast and explosive. He's extremely football savvy and throws an excellent ball. But somehow, if Luck fell to us, I have a feeling some around here would be pretty upset. We've become TOO married to the RG3 thing, even if it is a very likely outcome.

I'm convinced that Irsay and Colts fans are just as "married" to Luck as the skins are to RG3. The fact that while talking about the #1 pick Irsay has even slipped and mentioned "Andrew" by name instead of "whatever player we take" speaks volumes. On the flip-side I am a realist too and trust me I don't have my Griffin jersey ready or changed my avatar yet but I am, like I said, convinced that more of this recent chatter is to spice up the beginning of the draft then actual fire from the Colts.

Shanny and his team know what they are doing !

yes they do. They're getting (likely) RG3 or (less likely) Luck. Either way, they've traded in position for a franchise QB. They absolutely know what they're doing.

I think if it was us with the first pick, there would be a legit debate.

We didn't just cut a legend and blow things up. We'd have to seriously do our due diligence. Our situation is different than the Colts; I think that's one thing that gets lost. The Colts went from playoff team to disaster to rebuild in one like, 5 football seconds. If we picked RG3 over Luck, no one would complain. No would think Mike was crazy, either. We've been so starved for a quarterback we don't know anything different.

Irsay and the Colts are in a different place. Their fans haven't had to rebuild in 13 years. The last thing Irsay wants is for the Colts to deal with more change than they already have to; the fans won't stand for it. They're not used to it. On top of just loving Luck (that's why he cut Manning in the first place), Luck represents the easiest transition for the Colts from one QB to the next, a transition it'll be easier for the Colts fans to except than a spread-option quarterback who raps while throwing passes.

As much as the Colts have grown over the past 13 years with Manning, that state is still a Basketball state. The first bolded statement in your quote is, in my opinion, not the case.

This board would be TORN if we had the first pick. The fact that we do not control who we get at #2 has tempered some of the opinions ES'ers away from Luck because we are probably not going to get him. It's better to drink Kool-aid for a QB you have a shot at getting rather than hype up someone who is going to another team. Just the reality and a little perspective on the situation. The monkey in the room is that Luck does give us a faster rebuild than RGIII. The consensus on Luck is that he will have a shorter learning curve than RGIII to reach that elite level.

Second bolded statement: As opposed to who? Who will stand for more change than needed? If we had pick #1 and we take RGIII over Luck. Luck leads his team to the playoffs and posts gaudy rookie numbers do we give Shanny a pass? Sorry that's just not the way things work around here. If RGIII struggles and we had a chance at Luck, DC immediately turns into a "shanny watch". You may be "used to it". (losing games and rebuilding) But I will never be complacent with losing games and the pressure will be on this organization just as much as the Colts if we had the #1. #2 Gives Shanny a little cushion, emphasis on LITTLE, because he is making due with what he gets at #2.

The #1 pick is a double edged sword. It's easy to talk about who has the "higher ceiling" when you at #2 and justifying why you may have gotten the better QB. The #1 pick doesn't have that luxary. They need to be right and they need to hope that their pick starts producing before the alternative or else everyone in the room starts getting VERY uneasy about the whole situation.

This is all pure speculation, but I just don't see us favoring RGIII over luck if we had the #1.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 12:55 PM ----------

So you are saying the fan base has 0 influence over personnel moves an organization makes?

I would say it is foolish to assume the Colts will rely on uneducated fan opinions on a decision that will shape their organization for years to come.

Excellent write up OP,

I do find it interesting that Indianapolis HAS NOT begun negotiating with Andrew Luck before the draft as Detriot did with Matthew Stafford. If Luck is Indy's guy, why haven't they jump started the process of putting together a contract? (I believe they could start this process now if I'm not mistaken).

I saw some clips of Robert's pro day at Baylor and I'm convinced Griffin III will be the best Quarterback the Washington Redskins will have ever had after a celebrated 14-15 year career. I was leading the charge for not wanting to trade up....relinquish the picks......but this kid is wonderful to watch. Has good touch on the ball, can make the intermediate throw, drop it in the box for the deep pass, roll out with precision, and just flat out take off when things get hot and heavy.

At the end of the day, and I've said this in several threads.....Luck is essentially Aaron Rodgers; and Griffin III is a Steve Young waiting to blow up the league. I could live with either of these two gentleman leading the Redskins. Griffin III just has that "Thing"....that "It" factor....that I can and will help the Redskins win their 1st Lombardi Trophy since Mark Rypien.

Excellent write up OP,

I do find it interesting that Indianapolis HAS NOT begun negotiating with Andrew Luck before the draft as Detriot did with Matthew Stafford. If Luck is Indy's guy, why haven't they jump started the process of putting together a contract? (I believe they could start this process now if I'm not mistaken).

Okay, ENOUGH with this point.

The Lions didn't start negotiating with Matthew Stafford until a week before the draft, and he didn't sign a contract until a day before the draft. The same thing happened with Carson Palmer; he didn't sign with the Lions until three days before the draft.

All this "if they wanted him why didn't they just sign him" bull**** needs to die. No one signs a guy a month before the draft. No one NEGOTIATES with a guy a month before the draft.

The fact that they haven't already signed him or negotiated with him means NOTHING, period.

It shouldn't, but we know in reality it does many times.

I'm still convinced to this day if we hadn't collectively revolted to the extent we did when the Jim Fassel talks broke; he'd of been the HC here rather than Zorn.

Hail.

I think i was one of the few here who wasn't against Fassel, especially after they had hired Zorn at HC, lol. Fassel at least took a pretty average team to the Super Bowl once.

There were even Redskins FO people posting here in the past when we were talking about who they should sign.

Also I'm pretty sure that when most people here were drooling over Haynesworth that had an effect too.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 10:28 AM ----------

Griffin III is a Steve Young waiting to blow up the league.

Well hopefully we aren't Griffen's Tampa Bay. We've been almost as bad for longer than the Bucs had back then, lol.

Okay, ENOUGH with this point.

The Lions didn't start negotiating with Matthew Stafford until a week before the draft, and he didn't sign a contract until a day before the draft. The same thing happened with Carson Palmer; he didn't sign with the Lions until three days before the draft.

All this "if they wanted him why didn't they just sign him" bull**** needs to die. No one signs a guy a month before the draft. No one NEGOTIATES with a guy a month before the draft.

The fact that they haven't already signed him or negotiated with him means NOTHING, period.

The tone of your post leads me to believe you REALLY like Griffin III....just a hunch, LoL.

But to engage you in dialogue, why even send scouts to Baylor's Pro Day if Luck is the "best" prospect since (Insert Hall of Fame QB here). Technically, there was no real reason for Indianapolis to even have representation in Waco if they're 1,000,000% sold on Andrew Luck being Peyton's successor (just my logic, debate if you must....I have a feeling you will).

This ENTIRE board and fan base has a serious unhealthy fixation/man-crush for Griffin III (I've recently joined in however after seeing the kid's skillset....and all I've seen is a Steve Young 2.0 as mentioned on several occassions). I understand even thinking about Robert playing anywhere else but Fed Ex Field got your undies into a bunch, LoL. It's sort of justified, but anything is possible leading up to the draft....try to remember that when debating people on a similar topic.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/2012-mock-draft-take-one/

2012 mock draft, take one

Posted by Evan Silva on March 22, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT

Robert Griffin III AP

1. Colts: Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Baylor.

In an upset, the Colts opt for the most gifted quarterback prospect in the draft.

2. Redskins: Andrew Luck, quarterback, Stanford.

Mike Shanahan settles for a still-elite prospect at the game’s premier position.

Haha, it would throw me for a loop if they took RGIII, but I'd get over it shortly, Luck is going to be great too. I don't think the Colts will pass on Luck though.

There would be a short period where some fans (especially the ones who are drunk on RGIII flavored kool-aid) throw tantrums over not landing RGIII. Then it wears off and they notice that we somehow stole Andrew Luck in this draft and RGIII quickly becomes an afterthought.

The tone of your post leads me to believe you REALLY like Griffin III....just a hunch, LoL.

But to engage you in dialogue, why even send scouts to Baylor's Pro Day if Luck is the "best" prospect since (Insert Hall of Fame QB here). Technically, there was no real reason for Indianapolis to even have representation in Waco if they're 1,000,000% sold on Andrew Luck being Peyton's successor (just my logic, debate if you must....I have a feeling you will).

The business dictates you do your due diligence. They'd be foolish not to at least consider Luck.

...However, as I pointed out before, aside from some scouts, the only two people who held any sort of weight, ish, at the Baylor Pro Day for the Colts was Chuck Pagano and their quarterback coach. Bruce Arians wasn't even there from what I can tell. The OC, the GM, and the owner didn't even show up to RG3's Pro Day. (To Grigson's credit, he apparently has the flu), and RG3 himself has said that he hasn't drawn a whole lot of interest from the Colts. And that's despite everyone being on the plane, allegedly.

I guarantee, the Colts will be represented in full force for Luck, though. Grigson will chug some ThermaFlu and drag his ass out of bed.

I'm not taking it personal, really I'm not. I was just getting annoyed by the "then why hasn't he been signed/haven't they started negotiating" stuff. No one signs a month in advance of the draft. No one.

Excellent write up OP,

I saw some clips of Robert's pro day at Baylor and I'm convinced Griffin III will be the best Quarterback the Washington Redskins will have ever had after a celebrated 14-15 year career. I was leading the charge for not wanting to trade up....relinquish the picks......but this kid is wonderful to watch. Has good touch on the ball, can make the intermediate throw, drop it in the box for the deep pass, roll out with precision, and just flat out take off when things get hot and heavy.

At the end of the day, and I've said this in several threads.....Luck is essentially Aaron Rodgers; and Griffin III is a Steve Young waiting to blow up the league. I could live with either of these two gentleman leading the Redskins. Griffin III just has that "Thing"....that "It" factor....that I can and will help the Redskins win their 1st Lombardi Trophy since Mark Rypien.

excellent post ... could not agree more ... when I look at RG3 I just think "special" ... that player that has to be accointed for at all times who can make other defenses get their panties in a wad. I know Luck is athletic, and a different player ... and I'm not an advocate of a run first QB (like Vick used to be), but watching RG3's tape and seeing him single-handedly carry his team to heights not reached before at Baylor, it gives me the goosebumps and I think "why not us?". HAIL.

Either way we win with the #2 pick this year!

The following sentence will send everyone off the deep end by just merely mentioning it.

What If.....just What If Cleveland made an offer to Indianapolis for the #1 overall and Griffin III by giving away Four 1sts, and a 2nd (or hey, Five 1sts and a 2nd). Talk about getting one upped in the final hour, LoL. (By the way if I'm Indy and received such a ridiculous offer for Five 1sts and 2nd.....I'd take it before they realized what they've actually done).

Then we'd really be "Stuck with Luck". Gotta have fun with far fetched.....but possible scenarios. Let's see how long it takes before someone blows a gasket at the thought of Cleveland in the end leap frogging us for their/our man

I'm a Griffin III supporter by the way; I'm just saying......ANYTHING can happen leading up until the draft.

The business dictates you do your due diligence. They'd be foolish not to at least consider Luck.

...However, as I pointed out before, aside from some scouts, the only two people who held any sort of weight, ish, at the Baylor Pro Day for the Colts was Chuck Pagano and their quarterback coach. Bruce Arians wasn't even there from what I can tell. The OC, the GM, and the owner didn't even show up to RG3's Pro Day. (To Grigson's credit, he apparently has the flu), and RG3 himself has said that he hasn't drawn a whole lot of interest from the Colts. And that's despite everyone being on the plane, allegedly.

I guarantee, the Colts will be represented in full force for Luck, though. Grigson will chug some ThermaFlu and drag his ass out of bed.

I'm not taking it personal, really I'm not. I was just getting annoyed by the "then why hasn't he been signed/haven't they started negotiating" stuff. No one signs a month in advance of the draft. No one.

You shouldn't be. You're absolutely right. Negotiating contracts before even the pro day?

The colts needed to do their due diligence as you said for RGIII incase something happens to Luck between now and draft time. But what smokescreen do they really need to put up? Who are they tricking by showing heavy interest in Luck and then picking RGIII?

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

The following sentence will send everyone off the deep end by just merely mentioning it.

What If.....just What If Cleveland made an offer to Indianapolis for the #1 overall and Griffin III by giving away Four 1sts, and a 2nd (or hey, Five 1sts and a 2nd). Talk about getting one upped in the final hour, LoL. (By the way if I'm Indy and received such ridiculous offer for Five 1sts and 2nd.....I'd take before they realize what they've actually done).

Then we'd really be "Stuck with Luck". Gotta have fun with far fetched.....but possible scenarios. Let's see how long it takes before someone blows a gasket at the thought of Cleveland in the end leap frogging us for their/our man

I'm a Griffin III supporter by the way; I'm just saying......ANYTHING can happen leading up until the draft.

Couple hours of angst followed by the realization that Andrew Luck is a Washington Redskin.

Fair enough; appreciate the perspective.

<edit>This ENTIRE board and fan base has a serious unhealthy fixation/man-crush for Griffin III (< edit >I understand even thinking about Robert playing anywhere else but Fed Ex Field got your undies into a bunch, LoL. It's sort of justified, but anything is possible leading up to the draft....try to remember that when debating people on a similar topic.

I was actually just going to chide you a bit on the silliness of your "entire board" and "seriously unhealthy" babble-line and then maybe give you a brief ban for the trolling nature of "panties in a bunch" comment (we frown on that one here depending on context). But then checking your join date and analyzing some of your comments triggered my spidey-sense (people usually give themselves away without knowing how). And indeed, you're a dupe acct (and you already had one rule violation under this name, too--awesome). So bye bye.

I was actually just going to chide you a bit on the silliness of your "entire board" and "seriously unhealthy" babble-line.

But surely you don't deny that more than a couple ES'ers have already pre-ordered their RGIII Skins jerseys and coffee mugs? ;)

But surely you don't deny that more than a couple ES'ers have already pre-ordered their RGIII Skins jerseys and coffee mugs? ;)

Be hard to doubt the likelihood of that given we already have put avatars of the guy up for the membership, and a number of people are loving it. :ols:

I simply rejected the stupid aspects of the comments I selected. It's a habit. :)

Archived