Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Indy could go with The LUCKy Horseshoe Or the Tres

KDawg

Reports (rumors) are that Irsay likes Luck, the Colts staff likes Griffin. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Is anyone else considering that a lot of the hype stems from his Heisman Trophy win, and that, since it has long been a forgone conclusion that the Colts will take Luck, there really isn't much of a reason to discuss him.

Until the Skins took the leap to get to #2, part of the drive behind the talk of Griffin was whether he would go 2 or later, and who would trade up to take a pick to take a shot to get him.

I personally think that ESPN and other national media outlets are responsible for putting Luck aside and hyping up Griffin.... solely because of how convinced they are Luck will go #1.

While this is a great point. Think about it from this perspective, too:

They wouldn't have gotten rid of Manning if they weren't 100% sure they were going to be able to find a replacement for him. And at the time, it may have been Luck. However, keep something else in mind. Even if they go with RG3, they knew damn well they were going to replace Manning with one of the two, and IF the draft RG3 at #1, he became the guy the fell in love with, not Luck.

I still don't think they pass on Luck. But, the point of the OP is that it's a possibility.

All of these RG3 is a definite posts are making me nervous. The avatars are making me nervous. The RG3 jerseys are making me nervous. He's not here yet. Relax on all of that and let's see what happens.

I see what you're saying but the decision to get rid of Manning was made a while ago. Probably before the season even ended because they had Luck waiting in the wings. If Irsay passes on Luck I envision Colts fans at his door with pitchforks and torches.

Is it possible that they take RGIII? Sure, anything is possible. But the fact that Luck is "the best prospect since Elway" still holds true and I don't see the Colts passing on the opportunity to draft him.

If the unthinkable does happen and the Colts pass on Luck, I'm sure Skins fans will get over it REAL QUICK. This is a win win situation that we're in.

I see what you're saying but the decision to get rid of Manning was made a while ago. Probably before the season even ended because they had Luck waiting in the wings. If Irsay passes on Luck I envision Colts fans at his door with pitchforks and torches.

Is it possible that they take RGIII? Sure, anything is possible. But the fact that Luck is "the best prospect since Elway" still holds true and I don't see the Colts passing on the opportunity to draft him.

If the unthinkable does happen and the Colts pass on Luck, I'm sure Skins fans will get over it REAL QUICK. This is a win win situation that we're in.

Agreed. Without any hesitation. Agreed.

In about 35 days we will all know who gets lucky. ;)

Either way, we are. :)

Up until late December/early January it was an unknown if Barkley and RGIII would be battling to be the second QB off the board. The recent surge of RGIII is impressive, but Luck has been seen as the prize for almost 2.5 years now. It was the year of the Luck sweepstakes before the first snap was taken. I think its merely out of sight out of mind. He will light it up at his pro day.

Up until late December/early January it was an unknown if Barkley and RGIII would be battling to be the second QB off the board.

See, I disagree here. There were quite a few people who knew how good RG3 was prior to the college season even starting. And quite a few knowledgable people who knew that RG3 was the better prospect and Barkley was the #3. Even schematically speaking, to keep the thread on track, RG3 fits this system 10x better than Barkley, and 10x might be a low estimate. The question was whether RG3 would come out.

He [Luck]will light it up at his pro day.

Agreed. I think a lot of the RG3 hype now (I mean, the kid is REAL good... REAL good...) is simply because Luck hasn't had his Pro Day yet. Hopefully he tears it up like he should :)

Up until late December/early January it was an unknown if Barkley and RGIII would be battling to be the second QB off the board. The recent surge of RGIII is impressive, but Luck has been seen as the prize for almost 2.5 years now. It was the year of the Luck sweepstakes before the first snap was taken. I think its merely out of sight out of mind. He will light it up at his pro day.

This is probably accurate. At the very least he won't diminish his stock which is what he'd have to do to create doubt in Irsay's mind.

See, I disagree here. There were quite a few people who knew how good RG3 was prior to the college season even starting. And quite a few knowledgable people who knew that RG3 was the better prospect and Barkley was the #3. Even schematically speaking, to keep the thread on track, RG3 fits this system 10x better than Barkley, and 10x might be a low estimate. The question was whether RG3 would come out.

Agreed. I think a lot of the RG3 hype now (I mean, the kid is REAL good... REAL good...) is simply because Luck hasn't had his Pro Day yet. Hopefully he tears it up like he should :)

I'm not saying he wasnt on the radar, but he wasnt mentioned in the same category as Luck until pretty recently. I think the Colts will do their due diligence as they should, but when you look at Luck's total body of work I just dont think there is anyway you can pass him up. I would feel the same way if the Skins were picking at #1. Of coarse I could be totally wrong, wouldnt be the first time.

I'm not saying he wasnt on the radar, but he wasnt mentioned in the same category as Luck until pretty recently.

By who? Knowledgable people on this very forum had been mentioning RG3 since before the season. Talking heads on ESPN aren't the best source of information ;)

I think the Colts will do their due diligence as they should, but when you look at Luck's total body of work I just dont think there is anyway you can pass him up. I would feel the same way if the Skins were picking at #1. Of coarse I could be totally wrong, wouldnt be the first time.

No, I think you're correct here. But, all it takes is Irsay saying, "Man, you know what, maybe RG3 does have much more of an upside. We're rebuilding... Send the card up with Griffin's name on it." I doubt he does it. But it doesn't take much.

Luck was never going to out duel RGIII at the combine. RGIII's 40 time, vertical leap, and then having his proday first put him at the front of everyone's minds. It really is a brilliant move by RGIII's reps. He has done just about everything you can do to ride the momentum. Analysts are hopping on the bandwagon, rumors are swirling. I think it is all by design and a great plan at that. I just think when the dust settles the Colts get their guy who has a consistent, stable body of work.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 01:37 PM ----------

[

Just the fact that we have a shot at either one of these guys puts a smile on my face. I can see why fans are worried about the Colts picking RGIII over Luck. We fell in love with Griffin when Luck wasn't a possibility. It was RGIII or bust and now that there are talking heads in the media saying Colts should pass on Luck it rocks our World.

I am not worried at all. Sure I have my preference but either one of these guys is better than what we've had under center for what seems like forever. I was way more worried that the Browns were going to get the 2nd pick than I am about the Colts.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching and rewatching the two Pro Days. No matter what happens we will have a great quarterback under center next season.

I knew about RGIII as well. I have players that are now in the Big 12, and follow that conference very closely. For the last 2 years no one has been mentioned in the same breath as Luck and it wasnt until fairly recently that RGIII was seen as 1b to Luck's 1a. Knowing about him, and putting him in the Luck category are two different animals. I'd say he didnt become 1b until he measured at 6'2 at the combine.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

I'm not married to RGIII yet... lol. I showed cut-ups of Luck to my Quarterbacks. To be more speficic I was trying to teach them how to be consistent with their footwork while in the pocket. Luck is amazing at this, almost text book. When it comes to footwork in the pocket, deceiving coverages, depth on his drops, and consistent delivery Luck is amazing. Im not going to be sad at all to be "Stuck with Luck" just like ill be happy as hell to have RGIII. I just dont understand all the worry and angst.

Reports (rumors) are that Irsay likes Luck, the Colts staff likes Griffin. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

It'll be interesting to hear what Polian says now that he's a commentator/analyst. If he were still Indy's GM and he had an owner who would listen, the Colts would not be picking Luck at #1.

Lets make it interesting. :D

Tell ya what Humaniod. :)

If the Colts take RG3 at 1, I'll give you a Heenan avatar for one year to use until the 2013 Draft.

On the flipside, when the Colts take Luck at 1, you get the TK's beyiatch avatar for the same time period.

What say ye? :)

After Luck has his pro day today and lights it up, the point will be moot and they will take Luck. I mean, how does a QB screw up their pro day? They're just out there throwing the ball around with no defense. After 3 PM, the choice will be Luck for the Colts. We are getting Griffin, I'm 99.9% sure.

Lets make it interesting. :D

Tell ya what Humaniod. :)

If the Colts take RG3 at 1, I'll give you a Heenan avatar for one year to use until the 2013 Draft.

On the flipside, when the Colts take Luck at 1, you get the TK's beyiatch avatar for the same time period.

What say ye? :)

I'm disappointed that you didn't even bother reading the OP, or my subsequent posts.

I'm disappointed that you didn't even bother reading the OP, or my subsequent posts.

Oh I read them. I just wanted to see if you would be willing to wear the dress for a year. :ols:

inmatesbch.gif

And though you have your reservations, I do not. Mainly for the same reasons Leap has been saying on twitter. I'm telling you, Irsay is sold on Luck. Has been the entire time. He's kicked Manning to the curb & fired anyone with any resemblence of power that would argue with him against taking Luck.

While I believe that the Colts will take Luck, this quote is trotted out entirely too much (I believe it was said a few months ago - its not exactly recent). If one wants to make the case that there is no way Luck gets past Indy, they should provide additional evidence beyond simply just this.

Don't you think Griffin saying he is been ignored by the Colts speaks volume ?

I think the Colts take Luck no question, but I may be bias to the fact that I'm married to the idea of Griffin. BUT, my question is, why don't the Colts just sign Luck already if they're 100% sold on the kid? Are they doing due process and letting him throw, or are they going to anticipate the draft to get their fans on the wagon and keep them waiting?

Colts been sold on Luck since they started 0-6 last year.

I believe that.

Then again, excuse the horrible analogy...

A family is living in a great house that has been worn down by age. They decide that it's probably a better long-term plan to buy a new house rather than fix up the old one. They come to this decision after driving through their favorite neighborhoods and falling in love with a brand new spec home. They pull the trigger and put their house on the market.

Sometime during this process, they happen to be in another neighborhood they love and see a brand new house with everything they've ever dreamed of. So, even though seeing house #1 (Luck) was the original reason they were comfortable putting their house (Manning) on the market, who's to say an even better house (Griffin) couldn't come along prior to them having to move their family?

Now, I agree that the Colts are probably going to draft Luck and I'm not arguing that Griffin is better since I really don't know. I just think it's ridiculous to assume that there's NO CHANCE that Indy could change their minds. In the end, it's a human being making a decision that can be swayed by new information.

Anything is possible. If I were the Colts I would take RG3. Bring in someone completely different than Manning. They have been sold on Luck for so long now, though, that there is no way they change their minds a month before the draft.

Honestly, I kind of wish they did, though. I know that is blasphemy right now, but I still feel like Luck is the safer pick. The guy ran a 4.59 40 and is 6'4" 230. That is more than capable of doing what the Shanny's want a QB to do. Plus, I am always scared of guys that have had concussions. Either way the Skins are getting a franchise guy.

Maybe I will just pretend like I don't know which one it will be so that the draft is more exciting...

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 11:17 AM ----------

Now, I agree that the Colts are probably going to draft Luck and I'm not arguing that Griffin is better since I really don't know. I just think it's ridiculous to assume that there's NO CHANCE that Indy could change their minds. In the end, it's a human being making a decision that can be swayed by new information.

Yeh I tend to think twice when people start acting like the future is a foregone conclusion. If the Colts were having second thoughts they would not let anyone know.

This thread (or rather, the drool over both Luck and Griffin) is why the NFL did not come down to harsh on N.O. & Williams. Granted it's a violent game, and being unable to play is part of it, but do you really want to increase the odds that we don't get to see guys like Luck and Griffin but Grossman and Tebow instead? BTW, remember when we were in "suck for Luck" mode? We have fallen in love with Griffin, but I don't see us doing worse with Luck. Maybe just not as flashy.

Archived