Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood on the plane. Slow and kind of boring movie I'm sad to say, with some moments of brilliant acting as you might suspect from that cast. Just wish the plot was more interesting. I'm gonna go B-

Saw Ad Astra on the same flight. Another slow plodding movie focused on relationships in the backdrop of space exploration. Boring. C rating. Props to Brad Pitt though, he can play any role. Top 10 actor the past decade easy imo.

Uncut Gems.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  First of all, it's a quality movie, it's A24 so the production value, camera work, acting...all good stuff.  Sandler is...great.  Might not like his character from time to time but the character isn't likable.  Kevin Garnett, I thought he was kind of a stiff until the end, he shows some chops.  Nice to see Judd Hirsch.  The John Amos cameo was hilarious.  Bogosian was good, too, he doesn't do enough film.

The film does a great job of making you feel the frantic pace of the situation that Sandler's character finds himself in.  There's a scene where everything is absolutely going wrong for him in a moment where he needs things to go right.  And no matter who you are or what your line of work is, practically everyone has felt that.

Spoilers for anyone who's seen it and wants to discuss:

Spoiler

Despite all the shady **** that he does, I found myself rooting for Sandler and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  He's a deeply flawed character, no doubt about it and if that was a guy you were dealing with in real life you'd be like WTF, too.  But through the movie, you see that he's trying to make things right with what he's got and in the only way he knows how.  So when Garnett is going off and the Celtics are winning, I found myself happy for him.

That, and I don't know if he necessarily deserved to go out the way that he did.  I felt happy for him, that he got that victory, that he was going to be able to pay that money back...and BAM.  But if you play stupid games you get stupid prizes.  I'm torn on that note, too.

So it's a movie that made me think about how I was reacting and it'll probably sit with me for a few days.  Those are good movies.  I'm not sure if I'd see it again but it's worth watching because it's well made, everyone did a good job.  

On 12/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, Mournblade said:

Thats 2 hours of my life I want back.  

Now you know how some of us feel after watching a hockey game. :ols:

Sorry, couldn't resist :) 

On 1/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, abdcskins said:

I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood on the plane. Slow and kind of boring movie I'm sad to say, with some moments of brilliant acting as you might suspect from that cast. Just wish the plot was more interesting. I'm gonna go B-

Saw Ad Astra on the same flight. Another slow plodding movie focused on relationships in the backdrop of space exploration. Boring. C rating. Props to Brad Pitt though, he can play any role. Top 10 actor the past decade easy imo.

Agree with you on both counts: Once Upon Time was just boring and pointless, and Brad Pitt might be the most watchable actor out there. He makes anything fun, 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:31 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Spoilers for anyone who's seen it and wants to discuss:

Spoiler

I was ok with the way it ended. I actually had a big problem with the bet being placed anyway as somebody that loves parlays, they would never let anyone place a correlated parlay like winning the first and second half, much less for $100k to win a million+

regardless I was glad to see that he was surprisingly and unceremoniously killed at the end. He was an awful person. Winning that bet is unrealistic and shows that his character never would have learned, that he would have been justified to act as he did because it finally paid off. this was a big problem I had with the Wahlberg movie The Gambler. He is just a loser that goes on a hot streak and all his problems are solved and he is justified. 

im glad this movie stayed away from

that. sandler is great in it and the movie does a great job of stayinf energetic and creating such strong tension throughout every scene. 

also, his side piece is hot AF

On 1/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Ready Or Not was a lot of fun...even though it kinda ripped off Cabin In The Woods.

One of my favorite movies this year. It was just fun and fresh and entertaining as hell from beginning to end. 

• Like 1

Ready or Not was fun, which is really all I want from a horror comedy.  Samar Weaving has done three of these now that I’ve enjoyed.  (Babysitter and Mayhem being the other two.)  These aren’t great movies, but they’re fun.  

The latest Star Wars felt like it was written by the sort of adult that believes advises others to quit drinking coffee and surround themselves with positive energy.  You know the type.  I didn’t hate it, largely because lightsabers, but part of me wants to write a long rant about how stupid everyone in the movie is. 

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

I was ok with the way it ended. I actually had a big problem with the bet being placed anyway as somebody that loves parlays, they would never let anyone place a correlated parlay like winning the first and second half, much less for $100k to win a million+

regardless I was glad to see that he was surprisingly and unceremoniously killed at the end. He was an awful person. Winning that bet is unrealistic and shows that his character never would have learned, that he would have been justified to act as he did because it finally paid off. this was a big problem I had with the Wahlberg movie The Gambler. He is just a loser that goes on a hot streak and all his problems are solved and he is justified. 

im glad this movie stayed away from

that. sandler is great in it and the movie does a great job of stayinf energetic and creating such strong tension throughout every scene. 

also, his side piece is hot AF

One of my favorite movies this year. It was just fun and fresh and entertaining as hell from beginning to end. 

Spoiler

I've never gambled on anything before (not including fantasy sports) so I'm not really in tune with that kind of thinking.  But your logic makes a lot of sense.  And yeah, he did do a great job, even though his character was unlikable.  Actors that get you to feel strongly one way or another are great.

Underwater. A solid sci-fi horror film. There aren't many genre flicks like this so I'm more forgiving on my score of 7.5/10. My brother and I immediately agreed that Underwater provides massive (pun intended) possibilities for a Lovecraft/Dagon mythos, thus the .5 lol.

Overall great effects, some good tension, a couple jump-scares, and awesome clammy moments for the claustrophobic. I loved the score - a nice mix of hard dub electronic and dark ambient. I'm going to track it down if possible.

Kristen Stewart was fine but this movie's writing put her in an odd position, dialogue-wise. She played a solid leader for the survivors but it felt like the writers gave all of the good dialogue to others. It's hard to describe. It was like she was overshadowed but not - her character still felt like the driving force. However, Vincent Cassel and TJ Miller could have stolen the movie at any moment if allowed to.

My only real beef is the pacing and editing between scenes. The best way my brother and I could describe it is like an inch-worm moving: quick parts where A goes right to C (the audience must assume B happened), followed by slow moments of fear/dread/quiet, then quick bursts again. Reminds me of Neill Blomkamp/Oats Studios "Zygote" in that way.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 2

Just Mercy- A true life story where Michael B. Jordan plays a Harvard lawyer who sets up an agency in Alabama to help those wrongly condemned or can't afford proper representation. The movie is about one case, where he helped proved a wrongly convicted man on death row; didn't commit the crime and eventually got his death row conviction overturned.   A good move.  I'll give it an A-.

Like A Boss- A nice female comedy for the winter. I had a good laugh, so I'll give it a B-.

Dolittle-  Robert  Downey play Dr. Dolittle in this version. He was alright but it was the animals who ruled this movie.  I think kids will like this one , more than adults. I'll give this a B- also.

1917 is fantastic. Some jaw dropping moments and it’s intense from the very beginning. This is one of those movies I watch and I’m just in awe at the vision the director has. I have no idea how he did this, it seems almost impossible. The way the camera follows the characters on this journey never cutting and everything has to be perfectly staged, it’s almost like a play. I mean you can feel being there in a trench, feel the soft mud under their boots, feel very gunshot rattle thru you. 

it’s a movie that must be seen in theaters. The ending is an impressive combination of heart, suspense, and awe. Things  dont always have to be complex for them to work. When ideas are well-formed, shots are framed perfectly, characters are written well and the acting matches those ambitions, even just simple beautiful human moments and interactions are enough to leave an impact. I left the theater with tears in my eyes. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

Saw Bad Boys For Life, the third movie in the series.   I liked this one. Of course, it's been so long since the last one, I don't remember this series.  

Spoiler

A nice revenge story, with Will Smith's character the target of the revenge.  

There's a quick bonus, after the movie ends that sets up a 4th movie.

i'll give the movie a solid B.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw Bad Boys For Life, the third movie in the series.   I liked this one. Of course, it's been so long since the last one, I don't remember this series.  

Reveal hidden contents

There's a quick bonus, after the movie ends that sets up a 4th movie.

do you go to the theater every day? 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

do you go to the theater every day? 

No.

I do go to the movies alot, but depends if there's something I want to see.  This past couple of weeks, there were 4 or 5 movies that interested me. Just had the chance to see them. Some weekends there's nothing that interests me, so I may a couple of weeks without seeing anything. 

On 1/18/2020 at 2:58 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a quick bonus, after the movie ends that sets up a 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th movies.

Fixed that for you.

Wyatt Earp (1994).  I remember this movie being one that I liked.  I made the mistake of watching it again tonight and that pleasant memory is gone forever.  Choppy garbage writing.  Hollow caricatures of human relationships. Wooden cringe inducing acting (though I expect that from Kevin Costner).  Awful soundtrack.  Gah, what a disaster.

Finally got around to watching Joker.  Great movie (Not just a great comic book movie, but great movie in its own right).  Joaquin Phoenix deserves praise for this  performance that made a familiar character more real without diminishing what he's supposed to be.  Sound track was excellent too.

Definitely watch this one if you haven't seen it. 

• Like 1

Jo Jo Rabbit  - Great movie I can see why it was nominated for an Academy Award. Right now it would be a toss up between 1917 and this movie if I was voting (I haven't seen many of the other nominated movies though). For some reason this didn't play in my town during its first release so was happy they released it again.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 2

Saw "The Gentleman" about an American marijuana dealer in London.  A little different, with plenty of twists and turns.  Also, this is British movie; even though the main star is  Matthew McConaughey. British feel throughout the movie.  I'll give the movie, a solid B.   I don't know if this movie will do well, since it's not really an American movie.  It doesn't have that mass appeal like say James Bond does.