Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Saw Oldboy this past Friday.  Spike Lee sucks. 

To be fair, I don't think a lot of directors could have done this film any justice.  Which is why people like Tarantino (who lobbied for this film over Ferinheight 9/11 at the Cannes Film Festival) did not want to touch this script because he knew how hard it would be to try and recapture everything that made the movie what it is. 

I still like Josh Brolin and Sam Jackson was still cool.  I wished they picked a better villain though. 

Saw Oldboy this past Friday.  Spike Lee sucks. 

To be fair, I don't think a lot of directors could have done this film any justice.  Which is why people like Tarantino (who lobbied for this film over Ferinheight 9/11 at the Cannes Film Festival) did not want to touch this script because he knew how hard it would be to try and recapture everything that made the movie what it is. 

I still like Josh Brolin and Sam Jackson was still cool.  I wished they picked a better villain though. 

I've been hearing that a lot lately.  OldBoy got ripped by critics and most fans of the original.

Tarantino was smart to leave this one alone.  I love Spike Lee and all, and he's got some classics under his belt, but he might've been a little arrogant/over confident thinking he could pull off a remake successfully. 

Oh, and as a self-proclaimed movie buff, I find it hilarious that a bunch of my random friends on facebook and people across the internet are just now seeing the original Oldboy, and chiming in about how cool it was for hipster points.  Bro, that movie has been out for over 10 years now.   Step your independent/foreign films game up dawg.    ;)

Edited by Chew

I've been hearing that a lot lately.  OldBoy got ripped by critics and most fans of the original.

Tarantino was smart to leave this one alone.  I love Spike Lee and all, and he's got some classics under his belt, but he might've been a little arrogant/over confident thinking he could pull off a remake successfully. 

Oh, and as a self-proclaimed movie buff, I find it hilarious that a bunch of my random friends on facebook and people across the internet are just now seeing the original Oldboy, and chiming in about how cool it was for hipster points.  Bro, that movie has been out for over 10 years now.   Step your independent/foreign films game up dawg.    ;)

Those are probably the same people that think "The Departed" was an original script too.  But at least with that re-make of a classic movie, you had Martin Scorsese directing it with an all start cast:  Leo Cap (protagonist), Jack Nicholson (villain), Matt Damon (prick ass cop) and Wahlberg (cool ass detective)

Spike picked an interesting choice w/ Josh Brolin as the main guy, which I think he did a descent job of portraying.  But he flopped on choosing a convincing villain, you know, someone that you can really hate.  And if you're going to cast Sam Jackson, you got to give him more screen time. 

And without giving too many spoilers away to anyone that wants to see it, the characters not having the inner monologue to narrate the movie just throws the whole movie off. 

Flight-0024-20121019-54.jpg

An airline pilot saves almost all his passengers on his malfunctioning airliner which eventually crashed, but an investigation  into the accident, and the events leading up to it, reveals something troubling.

Very good movie. I love Denzel Washington. I recall hearing someone here (when discussing Daniel Day Lewis' acting in the movie Lincoln) say that Denzel should get demerits for "Playing himself in every movie" (like more than half of every actor alive hasn't done that, at least in the way the poster explained it) like you only judge good acting on how well you can change your appearance/speech.

The man can act, and Flight is another notch under his belt. Very entertaining/heartwarming, and funny as ****, especially the scene in the hotel near the end of the film.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Rewatched two older movies off my tablet on my flight home yesterday.

First off - the classic camp that is John Cameron - Big Trouble in Little China

I have an affinity for that movie since I was 11-12 when I first saw it in the theaters...and today, I still love the concept and the movie itself. But wow is the dialogue bad...and a lot of the special effects haven't held up. Not sure why a sequel was never made, since the final scene of Jack Burton driving off in the "Pork Chop Express" leads to a lot of possibilities.

The second film was a modern version of The Italian Job

It was better than I remembered and holy **** is Charlize Theron smoking hot in that movie. The plot was a little weak at points and payoff was only so-so. Still, not a bad way to kill a few hours on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from The Wolf of Wall Street. Loved it, it's fantastic.

Leo is amazing as always, I mean he's really great in this and he gets a lot of great material and scenes to shine. The movie isn't as funny as I thought it would be based on some of the reviews but there is still a lot of humor. There is a crapload of nudity in it too which I always think takes away from the movie and it does here too but it's to portray the absolute excess of this lifestyle.

It's classic Scorsese too. The movie is long and extremely detailed and feels exactly like Goodfellas but set on Wall St which I think was the point. Highly recommend.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

First off - the classic camp that is John Cameron - Big Trouble in Little China

I have an affinity for that movie since I was 11-12 when I first saw it in the theaters...and today, I still love the concept and the movie itself. But wow is the dialogue bad...and a lot of the special effects haven't held up. Not sure why a sequel was never made, since the final scene of Jack Burton driving off in the "Pork Chop Express" leads to a lot of possibilities.

The dialogue is gloriously bad and much of the movie doesn't even try to make sense.  Fantastic.  

• Like 1

Watched "The Killing Room" last night.  Nick Cannon, Timothy Hutton, Chloe Sevigny, Peter Stomare, Shea Wigham (Nucky's brother on HBO Boardwalk Empire)

A movie about mind control, terrorists, and other weird stuff.  For an extremely low budget movie, I thought it was pretty original and kept me interested the entire time.

• 1 month later...

sq_bad_grandpa_ver2.jpg

86-year-old Irving Zisman takes a trip from Nebraska to North Carolina to take his 8 year-old grandson, Billy, back to his real father.

Omg I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. I have a legit headache and my sides hurt. That restaurant scene had me dying. Dying.

• Like 1

Dallas Buyers club, Matthew McConaughy is brilliant, worth an oscar.

Despite the seriousness of the subject here, the director found a way to include humor, with Rayon's extravagance and his clashes with outspoken Ron, which helps the movie from falling into melodrama.

Poster-2.jpg

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

I saw a movie called "The Colony" this past weekend.  Must have been a straight to video release.  I though it was an excellent low-budget horror/sci-fi movie.  Basically, the earth enters a new ice age and the survivors have grouped together in "colonies".  They have to fight to survive against themselves and other humans.  It stars Laurance Fishburn and Bill Paxton.

I saw a movie called "The Colony" this past weekend.  Must have been a straight to video release.  I though it was an excellent low-budget horror/sci-fi movie.  Basically, the earth enters a new ice age and the survivors have grouped together in "colonies".  They have to fight to survive against themselves and other humans.  It stars Laurance Fishburn and Bill Paxton.

Reminds me of another direct to video/indie flick that I watched a few months back called The Europa Report, on Netflix instant streaming. Sort of a quasi found footage movie that focuses on a group of astronauts who are searching for life on Europa. And of course, everything goes terribly wrong. Definitely makes you wonder about what may truly be under all of that ice. The ending was very good as well (nice payoff) and kind of reminds you of those old school sci-fi thrillers from the 50's.

Honestly I thought it was very good for a DTV, where I typically have very low expectations, and am looking for any reason at all to stop watching in the first few minutes. It kept my attention though. Even has a favorable rating on IMDB

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I thought this was excellent.  I had to watch it a few times and look up the sequences on the internet to completely understand it, but it was great.

Primer.jpg

Primer is a 2004 American science fiction drama film about the accidental discovery of a means of time travel. The film was written, directed, and produced by Shane Carruth. Primer is of note for its extremely low budget (completed for $7,000), experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth, a college graduate with a degree in mathematics and a former engineer, chose not to simplify for the sake of the audience.[2] The film collected the Grand Jury Prize at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, before securing a limited release in the United States, and has since gained a cult following.[3]

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing watching Children of Men (2006) on AMC. Dear Lord this is an amazing movie. I'm pretty burned out on dystopian/post apocalyptic movies but this one is incredible. I'd never seen it before. Never heard anything about it. It's a masterpiece and if I'd seen it before, I would have known a long time ago what a masterful director Cuaron can be.

Went to see Robocop on Friday.  I don't understand the terrible reviews it's been getting, I actually liked it.  I think too many people are going into it expecting an identical remake of the original, which it definitely is not.  I actually found myself more involved in the story than any of the action scenes (which I guess might answer my own question as to why people have been hating on it LOL).

I also watched Europa Report on Netflix this weekend.  If you are into sci-fi/space thrillers, it's worth checking out.  Basically it's about a crew that gets sent on a mission to one of Jupiter's moons (Europa) after evidence is discovered that suggests there may be signs of life there.  Of course things go awry along the way, all of which is documented on cameras mounted throughout their ship.  It's not a typical found footage film though, as there isn't very much (if any) shaky cam involved.