Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Saw “80 For Brady”.  A nice story set around Brady’s comeback win against the  Falcons. The group of ladies for Brady, is a actually based on a real group of ladies. Some of what they did in real life; portrayed in the movie.

A nice fictional version of Brady’s comeback from 3-28.

Gets a solid B.

Also saw a showing of Groundhog Day.

Emily The Criminal.  It's on Netflix.

Aubrey Plaza plays this girl, Emily, who's a bit down on her luck.  The movie opens and she's in an interview but she hides the fact that she has a felony assault charge.  In her defense, the guy doing the interview kind of did a dick move on her, but she did lie about it...then gets pissed off when she gets called out for lying.  Which, I mean, own up to your ****.  So I didn't feel terrible for her from the start.

Emily works for a Uber Eats kind of thing, except on a bigger scale.  They provide catering services to offices and she's an independent contractor so she picks up work whenever she wants.  A guy she works with asks her to cover a shift which is a bit of an inconvenience but she does it.  And to thank her, he tells her to text a number where she can make an extra 200 bucks in cash the next morning.  Turns out Emily has, like, 60 or 70k of student debt.

So she texts this number, she has to be at this place at 9 am the next morning.  She goes and, long story short, has to commit a crime which is purchasing a TV with a stolen credit card and then she'll get the 200 bucks.  She does it no problem and then gets offered another job for 2k the next day.

I'm not going to spoil the whole movie but I didn't really care for it.  It was predictable in a lot of ways, but if I was supposed to be rooting for Emily for whatever reason, I really missed the reason why.  And I don't think that's Aubrey Plaza's fault, she's a good actress so I'll chalk it up to the writing.  That's the thing with a movie like this...despite the main character committing crimes, you want to root for them, or feel an allegiance to them.  And I never really felt that way towards her, even though she tried to land straight jobs she sabotages herself and she's kind of brat.  

So...C+?  Plaza is good, the other actors are pretty good...just, meh.  

The Gentlemen 

Standard Guy Ritchie movie, if you like Guy Ritchie you're going to like the movie. Story is predictable, but good. Cast is great, Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam are fantastic in their scenes. Movie flowed fast and kept the plot constantly moving without any real dead space. 

B+

• Thumb up 2

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey is getting a sequel.

Saw the excellent Antman 3:Quantumania. Kang was excellent, the next big bad after Thanos. This movie was definitely the best of the Antman movies. Gets an A.

There’s a mid credits and then post credits scene.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Prospect (2018)

Starring Sophie Thatcher and Pedro Pascal.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7946422/

A teenage girl and her father travel to a remote alien moon, aiming to strike it rich. They've secured a contract to harvest a large deposit of the elusive gems hidden in the depths of the moon's toxic forest. But there are others roving the wilderness and the job quickly devolves into a fight to survive. 

Solid indie film here. Glad I saw an article about it being underrated/missed.

You can stream it on Hulu right now.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Prospect (2018)

That's closer to the sheep farm on the moon plan than to becoming a singer. (Last of Us watchers will understand.)

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Saw the British horror movie, Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. It was bloody with some honey. Your typical slasher movie with Winnie being the slasher. Gets a C-.

This was one of those fathom events. Today was the only showing.

Apparently you're generous with your review:

On 2/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Prospect (2018)

I mentioned it at one point in this thread. This was the first thing I thought of when I saw Pedro was cast as Joel and I thought “yeah he can pull it off” 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 11:33 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Part Inception, part Kill Bill, part something I’ve never seen before. Definitely not a good movie to do drugs before. Need to be able to pay close attention.

Watched it again. It’s going to win best picture.

• Like 1

Cocaine Bear- Bear does cocaine and kills people.  The true part, cocaine was dumped into mountains. They showed the actual news footage from that event where they found a dead man.  A bear did do cocaine but died in real life. Funny movie gets a C.

Marlowe- latest Liam Neeson movie. An old style mystery set in 1939. Gets a B.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre- A team led by Jason Statham have to find out why an item was stolen, what it was and who’s buying said item. A good adventure. is the grade from me.

Next up is Creed 3.

Edited by 88Comrade2000