Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld (2/22/12): Redskins coach Mike Shanahan "loves" Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden

Alaskins

I don't know the answer either, nor does anyone else for that matter.

The point is, popular convention seems to be saying that Weeden (as a 28 year old) is mature and can start day one.

Yet, the same convention seems to also suggest that Griffin might have a bigger adjustment because of his college offense and need some time to learn a pro style offense.

The missed point is that Weeden's offense is, for all intents and purposes, the same as Griffin's, yet no one considers this an issue, because he is "mature".

I don't know that the Weeden stuff is being directed at Griffin's adjustment to the position as Griffin appears to be a top 2-3 pick and those guys generally are expected to hit the field early. I'd argue it is more directed at QB's going late first to 3rd round, which is where Weeden is expected to go, which are generally expected to hold the clip board for a few years. In other words, Weeden's maturity, given his age, would allow the coaching staff to throw more at him and assist him in acclimating into a dependable starting QB quicker than a QB normally found at that part of the draft. I'm not saying this is correct, but I don't think it has anything to do with Griffin. The issue with Griffin, at least to me, is whether you give up 2012 #1, #2, #4 and 2013 #1 to get him and whether that is the correct approach for this organization.

I don't know the answer either, nor does anyone else for that matter.

The point is, popular convention seems to be saying that Weeden (as a 28 year old) is mature and can start day one.

Yet, the same convention seems to also suggest that Griffin might have a bigger adjustment because of his college offense and need some time to learn a pro style offense.

The missed point is that Weeden's offense is, for all intents and purposes, the same as Griffin's, yet no one considers this an issue, because he is "mature".

Maturity shouldn't have much to do with learning a new system, but I wouldn't be surprised if Weeden dealt with living in a new city, having more money than they imagined, being a celebrity etc. better than most of the other draft picks. It's not a slam dunk, but wouldn't surprise me if his adjustment to the LIFE of an NFL player was smoother than most prospects.

But I don't think that has any bearing on adjusting to the NFL game speed or his absorption/execution of a non-spread offense.

But I don't think that has any bearing on adjusting to the NFL game speed or his absorption/execution of a non-spread offense.

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand the logic of some that he is a day one starter, but Griffin is potentially not.

My personal belief is that either could be, but the determining factor is going to have nothing do do with how old they are.

Thus while he might be more mature at handling the off field challenges, he's not a more mature on field product than any of the other 3 or 4 year starters.

The age thing being a positive in one sense is a nice little foot note, not something that should indicate he is football mature.

While the "We are taking Blaine Gabbert" rumor worked in our favor, as we were able to trade out of the position of drafting Gabbert.. I don't see how this rumor would be of any tactical advantage to us.

In other words.. I don't know why this would be said unless it was true.

but at the same time.. it's opposite of what we've previously heard, in that they dont like anyone after Luck and Griffin.

Generally you take 28 year old over the 22 year on maturity but there are always outliers. For example, I'd say most 18 years olds are more mature than 48 year old Charlie Sheen. RGIII is one of those exceptions where the kid just seems to get it and I think he will bring the work ethic & intensity that you expect out of a veteran player. So no, I don't necessarily think that Weeden is more mature than Griffin.

I lol'd

I don't care who the QB is, so long as Mike Shanahan likes him. So long as thats HIS guy. If it's Weeden, fine. If it's Griffin or Luck, fine.

Just anyone but Rex Grossman.

While the "We are taking Blaine Gabbert" rumor worked in our favor, as we were able to trade out of the position of drafting Gabbert.. I don't see how this rumor would be of any tactical advantage to us.

It would calm the fears of teams that are worried we're going to trade up to get Griffin (like the Browns who could beat us in any such trade) so we can trade up without their competition. Or, it could calm the fears of the teams behind us that are desperate to get a QB also (like the Seahawks and Dolphins) who might be willing to trade up to #5 if Griffin is still there, allowing us to just sit there and take him at 6, if by some miracle he were there at 6.

So, if it were smoke, there would be a tactical advantage, but I don't think that it's really smoke, I think it's just an unfounded rumor.

This would be a good scenario if we can't get our guy. Weeden if he can play right away is worth a 2nd IMO. I don't think a 1st should be used on ANY 29 year old (to be).

But I do not see Blackmon dropping to 6.

If we lose out RG3 to someone else, I hope we trade the #6 to Cincy for both their first - Cincy then drafts Trent Richardson. Then with #17 and 21. Floyd/DeCastro/Glenn and Tannahill.

I doubt Cincy would trade 2 1st, but I hope they really fall in love with Trent.

not sure Trent is worth two picks...Cinncy is so close they should be careful and not waste the picks on a reach

yo got to be kidding me please say this is a smoke screen. We need to find a way to get RG3 and Not Rex grossman 3 turnovers a game and Flynn would be ok if we go free agency but no WEEDen no Manning and NO Quinn come on people lets stop these old ways We need a franchise guy and start winning this cellar is getting old and so am I and I would love to see another Super Bowl Win before I leave this world and ifthey want to get few more and pass Steelers all time before then that will be just fine too

Just curious about how old Theisman was when he came to Washington? Seems to me he was in his late twenties before he started for us and played how long? I actually think he was on the long side of 30 when he was injured and forced out of playing. How does the age thing compare with B. W.?

You know what is sad about all this QB ****....

I would glady take Jason Campbell over any QB on our current roster, I kind of wonder how things would have turned out if he stayed with the team, and how he would have done with this past year's team

He wasn't that bad, i came to realize what bad and really bad look like.... Grossman and Beck

I would be so dissapointed if we drafted Weeden, especially if it was in the first round of all places, I think the only QBs that are worth a shot are Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Russel Wilson (not in the first round though), the rest like Tannehill and Weeden are going to be disappointments in my opinion.

Just curious about how old Theisman was when he came to Washington? Seems to me he was in his late twenties before he started for us and played how long? I actually think he was on the long side of 30 when he was injured and forced out of playing. How does the age thing compare with B. W.?

Theismann came out of the 1970 draft, was drafted by the Dolphins, went to Canada to play because Greise was there. I believe we traded for his rights (don't know which year, thinking 1973) where he returned punts for us. He finally took over as the starter for good in the 1977 season. He was 27 or 28 at the time. He broke his leg in the 1985 season when he was 36.

Archived