Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld (2/22/12): Redskins coach Mike Shanahan "loves" Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden

Alaskins

On the one hand, he looks pretty good. On the other hand we're batting .000 with quarterbacks who came out of college late (see Beck, John).

Those old QBs are really ripping up the NFL. You know like Weinke, Josh Booty, Drew Henson. They're all failed baseball guys. I don't doubt Weedon has skills, but burning a first rounder on him is crazy and the idea he is pro ready is laughable. I don't think any QB is exactly pro ready. The only QB that I can think of that had a great rookie season (and not just a decent, good for a rookie type season) was Dan Marino. And Weedon's age does not make him magically more ready than anyone else. If anything, it hinders his curve. Besides, why burn a first rounder on Weedon if Kyle Orton comes for free and is basically the same age and has NFL experience and is probably as good as Weedon will ever be? For a lower round pick, sure. For a first, no thanks.

I would be fine with weeden as long as we used our 1st rounder on an offensive skill position player and scooped him up with our 2nd rounder. For this article to assume we would draft him using a 1st round pick is a bit of a stretch considering most mocks have him pegged as a 2nd day player. Getting Blackmon AND Weeden would be a nice building block.

Well this latest rumor means the Skins have now been "linked" with every FA and draftable QB this offseason right? Sounds like Shanny is doing his job.

I'll still be shocked if the Skins don't come out of the 1st round with either RG3 or Tannehill.

I'd be fine with that. Frankly, I think its a pipe dream to think you can find a QB "for the next 15 years". Even if you get a good one, how likely is it that you have him for 15 years? If he's good, and gives us 6, 7 years - fantastic. I just don't think you can plan for the Peyton Manning, Brett Favre type - or bust. Certainly, Shannahan isn't planning 15 years out (which btw is why its good to have the GM role separate from the Coach role).

On the one hand, I like Weedon more than Tannehill, and think he'd be a better passer than Tannehill in the short term, and might even be able to come in around mid-seasonish, maybe.

On the other hand, Don Banks isn't usually the go to guy for rumors.

And on yet another hand, I thought that the rumors were that Shanahan came away unimpressed with the QBs on the South squad, Weedon included.

And on another hand, I don't really know how I feel about taking Weedon in the 20s. Trading back is better than trading back into the 1st, imo, I'd hate for us to have to use a 2nd and 3rd to get back into the late 1st, or, heaven forbid, using next year's picks to trade back up.

All told, I'd feel much better about taking Weedon at 25 than I would taking Tannehill at somewhere between 6-15, so he might not be too bad.

We could get a solid 8 years out of him. The 2020 Draft class looks good, although I'm not sure who might declare early or redshirt yet, because they're all High School Freshmen right now...

I say go for it...

Well alot of things could happen. Then again, Donovan McNabb was washed up when he was 33 (enter comments on how Weedon will be so much different). And Weedon probably won't start right away. And he may not be very good anyway. And even Manning, who had one of the best health streaks in football history, had major injuries at age 35. So a more realistic goal would be 3-4 good years

Mcnabb, Grossman, Beck, then Weeden? I'm not buying a failed baseball player that wouldnt be a top 5 pick even if he was 22. If he turns out to be the next Chris Weinke Shanahan as a GM will not see year five. I don't believe this rumor.... This sounds like someone the skins draft after round 2 if he's there and don't lose sleep over if he's not.

I don't doubt Weedon has skills, but burning a first rounder on him is crazy and the idea he is pro ready is laughable. I don't think any QB is exactly pro ready. The only QB that I can think of that had a great rookie season (and not just a decent, good for a rookie type season) was Dan Marino.

You do realize Andy Dalton and Cam Newton both made the Pro Bowl as rookies last season?

Mcnabb, Grossman, Beck, then Weeden? I'm not buying a failed baseball player that wouldnt be a top 5 pick even if he was 22. If he turns out to be the next Chris Weinke Shanahan as a GM will not see year five.

IF Shany picks him in the 20s, Shanahan shouldn't be allowed back in Redskins Park the next day

if for whatever reason we can't land rg3 or luck, we should draft him.

i would plan on trying to move up first. weeden would be plan C

I would try to trade up first as well. But if shanny and Allen think the price is too steep, trading down is the next best option. If we do trade down from #6 to the 20's what kind of picks would we receive in return?? Weeden would be just fine by me.

Archived