Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rotoworld (2/22/12): Redskins coach Mike Shanahan "loves" Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden

Alaskins

Bill Polian was talking about Weeden this morning on Sirius. Polian felt that his biggest issues were his age and his shoulder.

Basically, a guy like this is going to be entering the prime of his career at the age of 33. Ouch. Also, anyone have the details on his shoulder surgery a few years back?

Also, anyone have the details on his shoulder surgery a few years back?

This is from CBSSports.com's analysis of him:

"The New York Yankees drafted Weeden in the second round of the 2002 draft, then he pitched for the Dodgers and Royals before a torn labrum and tendinitis in his rotator cuff ended his baseball career. Instead of having surgery on his injuries, he decided to pursue football."

It's amazing that he has the arm strength that he has with a torn labrum. I've got a torn labrum and I opted not to have surgery, and I have NO strength in that arm anymore when throwing, I can't throw more than 20-30 yards with a baseball, and that's with everything I've got. The follow threw is crazy painful.

Anyway, I'm not sure what area of the labrum was torn, but according to him, his football throwing motion doesn't hurt his arm like throwing a baseball does, so it might not be a problem at all. Depending on the degree (and location) of the tear, it may not give him any problems. He can still lift weights and all that, just has to be careful with which motions he puts his shoulder threw.

If you're interested, here's some more medical info about it.

The labrum is a piece of cartilage that the head of the humerus sits in, it's like a cartilage rim for the shoulder joint, it helps support the shoulder and keep it moving within a certain range of motion. So, the tendinitis he has in his rotator cuff is likely a result of the extra load placed on the rotator cuff due to less support from the labrum. Any surgery he has would guarantee, according to the orthopedic surgeon I saw, less range of motion, a weaker shoulder joint, and MIGHT help with the pain and stability. They do it more often now with baseball players, since it used to be career ending, but it's not a typical injury for football players (that I'm aware of) since they're throwing substantially less, and with less velocity and force, but now that it's injured, it wouldn't be a surprise if it comes up during a 16 game season. Hopefully not, but there's no guarantee.

Anyway, I'm not sure what area of the labrum was torn, but according to him, his football throwing motion doesn't hurt his arm like throwing a baseball does, so it might not be a problem at all. Depending on the degree (and location) of the tear, it may not give him any problems. He can still lift weights and all that, just has to be careful with which motions he puts his shoulder threw.

That's generally the way things work. A QB's throwing motion is significantly different than a pitcher's, and the QB isn't throwing nearly as much, or nearly as hard as a pitcher. I'm still a little surprised he didn't have surgery, but him still being able to throw doesn't surprise me at all.

You know, that could have also been pretty much said of Wienke except Chris didn't play with anybody of Blackmon's stature.

so draft Blackmon at 6 after signing Orton in F/A....then get Weeden...it's the best thing they can do ...I am against losing the draft picks...especially after reading so many posts for years about how stupid the Skins were as an organization for trading picks away...

so draft Blackmon at 6 after signing Orton in F/A....then get Weeden...it's the best thing they can do ...I am against losing the draft picks...especially after reading so many posts for years about how stupid the Skins were as an organization for trading picks away...

This would be a good scenario if we can't get our guy. Weeden if he can play right away is worth a 2nd IMO. I don't think a 1st should be used on ANY 29 year old (to be).

But I do not see Blackmon dropping to 6.

If we lose out RG3 to someone else, I hope we trade the #6 to Cincy for both their first - Cincy then drafts Trent Richardson. Then with #17 and 21. Floyd/DeCastro/Glenn and Tannahill.

I doubt Cincy would trade 2 1st, but I hope they really fall in love with Trent.

I love the assumption that Weeden can play right away simply because he is older, but younger spread QBs will require time to adjust to a pro style offense.

It's like the considerable holes in Weeden's game magically disappears because of all those extra years he was not playing QB.

When I read Don Banks wrote it, I immediately discounted it. He's turned into Jason LaCanfora "light".

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 10:46 AM ----------

Wow. It seems I am in the minority in thinking Weeden is a good prospect. I guess time will tell, but I cannot help but wonder: Did any of you guys actually watch him play this season?

Not in the 1st round. Third round is where he's been projected.

You do realize Andy Dalton and Cam Newton both made the Pro Bowl as rookies last season?

You do realize they were both alternates that got in because the Eli was in the SB and most veteran QBs skip the pro bowl. Not that either of them didn't have good seasons for rookies, but they backed their way in. And Pro Bowls suck as a measuring tool.

Trade down and pick him up late in the first? Gross. IF we can't get RG3 and IF we can get Blackmon at 6 and IF nothing else pans out at QB, I'd take him in the 5th round or later. I bet Weeden signed baseballs for kids he was throwing against in opposing secondaries.

img]http://static.moviefanatic.com/images/gallery/uncle-rico-picture.jpg[/img]

Sign Uncle Rico, vet miniumum plus incentives.

You do realize Andy Dalton and Cam Newton both made the Pro Bowl as rookies last season?

Yes, I realize that.

Oh, you needed more? Dalton was not a particularly good QB. He had a nice year...for a rookie. But not sure how either made the Pro Bowl (even as alternates). Newton was slightly better than Dalton passing and had the whole running dominance. But why Newton went over Stafford is baffling. And why Dalton even went over guys like Hasselbeck or Flacco is a bit bizarre. If I'm ranking QBs in the NFL, neither crack my top 12. Newton probably sneaks into my top 15, which puts him right in the middle of the pack. Dalton is in the bottom half. Neither were great QBs.

Drafting Brandon Weeden before day 3 of the draft, is just stupid, imo.

(Rounds 4-7)

The dude will be 29 yrs old in Oct.

Lets say it takes 1 yr to be properly acclimated to an offense?

And that's a best case scenario here...

The dude will be 30, when he's truly ready to go.

Not Drew Brees studly ready to go...

But..."Yea, I know the offense...i shouldn't look too stupid out there" ready to go

What are you getting? 5 yrs out of him? maybe 6? Shoot..lets go for 7 years?

Are you guys freakin' serious?

We could sign Manning on the 14th...And get 4 years from him & he's had 4 neck surgeries.

(No...I don't want Manning...just making point here)

And what if he doesn't handle the NFL well?

What if it takes him longer to get comfortable to an Offense?

Are you people in here, asking to get screwed?

If you people want to discuss a different QB besides Luck or RG3....talk about Nick Foles, for all that his Holy. That's a guy worth dropping a 2nd for!!

Size=Check (6'5" 240)

Age= Check 23 yrs old

Experience=Check (started 3/4 yrs for Arizona state))

Accuracy=Check (69.1%, 67.1% & 63.6% in 3 yrs)

TD-to-INT ratio=check (28-14, 20-10, 19-9 in 3 yrs)

Passing yards=check (4,334, 3,191, 2,486 in 3 yrs)

And don't forget...Weeden had Blackmon to throw too. (both from OK State)

I mean..really

Foles had....?

Seriously..Pass the Weeden

I'm game with it. It looks like the Browns can have RG3 if they want him and I don't see how they wouldn't want him.

Shanahan can take whoever is high on our board at #6 or trade back if we get a good deal. We may end up trading back a few times in the first, pile up draft picks and draft Weeden.

He can start right away and we can work to build protection and weapons around him. Plus with lots of picks, you can even address the defensive without pinching picks.

I love the assumption that Weeden can play right away simply because he is older, but younger spread QBs will require time to adjust to a pro style offense.

It's like the considerable holes in Weeden's game magically disappears because of all those extra years he was not playing QB.

Ding ding. It's comical, really. I know a RB at the community college down the road. He's younger than Helu, thus clearly faster. So we should sign him and anoint him as starer.

One of the few advantages I see from Weeden being older is that he has a good chance to be farther along, maturity wise, than the other prospects. And even that's not a given.

One of the few advantages I see from Weeden being older is that he has a good chance to be farther along, maturity wise, than the other prospects. And even that's not a given.

So do people think Weeden, because he is older, is more mature than Griffin?

Generally you take 28 year old over the 22 year on maturity but there are always outliers. For example, I'd say most 18 years olds are more mature than 48 year old Charlie Sheen. RGIII is one of those exceptions where the kid just seems to get it and I think he will bring the work ethic & intensity that you expect out of a veteran player. So no, I don't necessarily think that Weeden is more mature than Griffin.

Ok sorry but with all due respect... He's not a 1st rounder. No way in hell. Late 2nd is the range and that's being highly nice.

Luck, griffen, tannerhill, weeden....

But my personal qb to watch for is kirk cousins... I see him jumping the boards the more poeple look at his tape.

I have no idea. Age =/= maturity, but I'm sure the case can be made that the transition from college to the NFL (finances, accountability, etc) would be easier for one to make when they are 28 vs. 22. That's not across the board, but people do tend to gain life experiences and maturity as they grow older.

Griffin obviously has a good head on his shoulders, so I don't see him being a knucklehead, so I think the comparison on maturity between those two is moot. I'd be shocked to hear about either in the news doing something they really shouldn't be doing.

Generally you take 28 year old over the 22 year on maturity but there are always outliers. For example, I'd say most 18 years olds are more mature than 48 year old Charlie Sheen. RGIII is one of those exceptions where the kid just seems to get it and I think he will bring the work ethic & intensity that you expect out of a veteran player. So no, I don't necessarily think that Weeden is more mature than Griffin.
I have no idea. Age =/= maturity, but I'm sure the case can be made that the transition from college to the NFL (finances, accountability, etc) would be easier for one to make when they are 28 vs. 22. That's not across the board, but people do tend to gain life experiences and maturity as they grow older.

Griffin obviously has a good head on his shoulders, so I don't see him being a knucklehead, so I think the comparison on maturity between those two is moot. I'd be shocked to hear about either in the news doing something they really shouldn't be doing.

I don't know the answer either, nor does anyone else for that matter.

The point is, popular convention seems to be saying that Weeden (as a 28 year old) is mature and can start day one.

Yet, the same convention seems to also suggest that Griffin might have a bigger adjustment because of his college offense and need some time to learn a pro style offense.

The missed point is that Weeden's offense is, for all intents and purposes, the same as Griffin's, yet no one considers this an issue, because he is "mature".

Archived