Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

President Barack Obama/Vice-President Joe Biden Re-elected to 2nd Term Thread

@DCGoldPants

If we used import tariffs as they were intended, to keep US citizens working with a living wage, then all those jobs wouldn't be going to China.

Very true.

Hang in there cupcake. i know you're tryin'. :)

That was condescending as hell, and just flat out MEAN. We're all tryin' to keep what we have, and maybe get ahead, instead of having a liar take it all away., only to give it back to himself.

His Energy secretary has said he wants gas prices to be comparable to those in Europe.

Obama has said he wants coal burning power plants out of business.

Energy prices need to necessarily skyrocket.

Who does that hit the worst?

Poor and working class.

Isn't that who he claims to be fighting for? Funny way of showing it.

This on the other hand is completely false, and is a classic Republic myth.

reality check: if ipads were built in america, they'd cost $1,000 apeice.

I suppose it would be silly for me to ask if you've got any support for this "reality"?

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

This is just getting embarrassing now.

I concluded a long time ago that there are a lot of people who simply refuse to be embarrassed.

(And this is coming from someone who has gone out in public wearing a Starfleet uniform.)

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

You know what, I'm not even gonna bother. This will all be over tomorrow, and we can all be friends again :D

I wish I could be confident that that's true.

But, me, I'm really worried about what Congress is going to do with things like the debt ceiling, the tax cuts, and the fiscal cliff.

I suppose it would be silly for me to ask if you've got any support for this "reality"?

I wasn't even gonna ask...

it wouldn't cost more to the consumer, but it would cut into the over profit per phone by about $20. I have no link to support that, but I've read it a number of times in articles, especially around the time Steve Jobs passed away.

It only cost about $190 to make an iPhone4.

http://www.gizmag.com/apple-cost-iphone4/15583/

In 2010, the iPhone4 retailed at $499. By signing a 2-yr agreement with a service provider, a customer could cut that about in half.

Take into account insanely overpriced accessories, the cost of that phone could be upwards of $700-$1,000.

(For instance, the average "plastic" cover for phones is about $30-$40.... couldn't cost more than a dollar to make.)

but more to the point... it cost about $190 for the chinese to produce it. To even suggest that it would cost 5 times that to be produced in America would require suspended disbelief and a **** ton of political cognitive dissonance.

well sure, i pulled that number out of thin air. but come on -- the wages, safety regulations, and conditions in their factories are simply not replicable over here. but we still eagerly gobble up the latest tech gadgets, and then whine about how unfair china is, and whine further about sending manufacturing overseas. seems to me we are tremendous hipocrites about that.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 04:21 PM ----------

Well, not $1000. But $967. At least according to this article from Forbes. Of course, it makes a million assumptions to arrive at that figure, but that's what economics is all about, right? :pfft:

oh wow, i had no idea such a thing existed. glad that Forbes agrees with the number i randomly made up.

It only cost about $190 to make an iPhone4.

http://www.gizmag.com/apple-cost-iphone4/15583/

In 2010, the iPhone4 retailed at $499. By signing a 2-yr agreement with a service provider, a customer could cut that about in half.

Take into account insanely overpriced accessories, the cost of that phone could be upwards of $700-$1,000.

(For instance, the average "plastic" cover for phones is about $30-$40.... could cost more than 10cents to make.)

but more to the point... it cost about $190 for the chinese to produce it. To even suggest that it would cost 5 times that to be produced in America would require suspended disbelief and a **** ton of political cognitive dissonance.

I love ES and have a slight addiction. But my mobile phone IS A PHONE. I do not expect it to run the world. When I'm at work, it would be drastically unprofessional for me to be surfing ES, even though alot of my guests would like to know what's going on, since they don't know how to log onto THEIR site.:silly:

i find it very easy to believe. have you read anything about what chinese iphone factories are like? women and children live in fenced-in compounds, are paid almost nothing (by western standards) in unsafe and horrendous conditions assembling the things. the safety regulations, wages, and conditions required by american workers could easily multiply costs fivefold. (i am NOT suggesting we adopt chinese labor practices in order to compete.)

Joe Biden:" No coal plants here in America, let them build them over there(China)."

Mitt Romney: "This plant kills."

When Mitt Romney was governor of Massachusetts, he "stood in front of a coal plant and pointed at it and said, ‘This plant kills.’"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/16/barack-obama/obama-says-romney-once-said-coal-burning-plant-kil/

i find it very easy to believe. have you read anything about what chinese iphone factories are like? women and children live in fenced-in compounds, are paid almost nothing (by western standards) in unsafe and horrendous conditions assembling the things. the safety regulations, wages, and conditions required by american workers could easily multiply costs fivefold. (i am NOT suggesting we adopt chinese labor practices in order to compete.)

Yes, I have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html

and let's note a comment to the article...

As an Apple shareholder, and lover and owner of Apple products, I feel obliged to comment on this article. Paying workers $17 a day is why Tim Cook can earn almost half a billion dollars a year and why Steve Jobs could commission a yacht that costs hundreds of millions. G R E E D. Nothing else to it; American workers are skilled (the Boeing aircraft built in this country attest to it) and supply chain logistics are not a Chinese skill (I spent 24 years working in the logistics industry).

Mitt Romney: "This plant kills."

When Mitt Romney was governor of Massachusetts, he "stood in front of a coal plant and pointed at it and said, ‘This plant kills.’"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/16/barack-obama/obama-says-romney-once-said-coal-burning-plant-kil/

yeah but that was the pro-choice universal healthcare romney. the etch-a-sketch has been shook like 5 times since then.

Archived