Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

President Barack Obama/Vice-President Joe Biden Re-elected to 2nd Term Thread

@DCGoldPants

My understanding is that Virginia does not have early voting as such. You can "absentee ballot" in person, but only if you state you will be unavailable on election day and I think they still require you to fill out the absentee ballot application before voting, don't they? Did that slow the process down some?

You are right, it wasn't 'exactly' early voting, but absentee ballot you cast in person.

I'm not sure what the hold up was, but it was extremely slow. All we had to do was fill out a form and show some form of identification. Just the waiting after turning in the forms to be called up to go cast our ballot took 1 hour.

In which Bang was advocating letting them die eventually.

(And I think he's just talking about coal. That's how this thing started. But it may have spread.)

What (I think) almost everybody else wants to do, too.

I think that getting energy from burning dead things is a "business plan" that has got to end. Soon.

I think it's guaranteed that 100 years from now, it will be a dead technology. That it will be on it's way out in 50 years.

That means that something will replace it. (Most likely, several somethings.)

I think that it would be Really Nice if those Somethings were Made in USA.

Ideally, they could do, for this country, what aviation has done for the last 50-75 years of American dominance.

(Realistically, that may not be possible. America doesn't have the advantages that we had, when we achieved a monopoly on aviation.)

But I at least want us to have a piece of it.

And this leads you to think Obama is the man to this over Romney? I just can't fathom it.

And, I think that encouraging those new technologies is a legitimate function of government.

I think that government subsidies are valid, in rare occasions. I think the criteria include being a new, emerging technology. Something that is important to the entire country. Something that we know that we're going to need.

I think finding some new energy solutions fit those bills.

You like what you've seen from Obama's energy campaign so far? Subsidies going to companies with big plans and horrible follow through.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:36 PM ----------

I believe I mentioned his frequent assertion that subsidies should never be used, unless an industry doesn't need them? :)

What does that even mean?

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:40 PM ----------

My gut feeling says that rooftop solar will never be economically viable. It's certainly an order of magnitude away from being viable, right now.

Now, what I think of as "high energy solar"? Where, instead of a square mile of solar collectors, you have a square mile of mirrors, concentrating all that light on one, single, collector?

To my gut, that looks a lot more viable.

Obama wants to subsidize rooftop solar makers. Romney wants to help you start your own rooftop solar company.

Archived