Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

President Barack Obama/Vice-President Joe Biden Re-elected to 2nd Term Thread

@DCGoldPants

Ummm, people have been using solar panels as a main source of energy in their homes for a while now. I'm not saying the majority of people use it, but yes, it's pretty much ready right now.

Uh, I suspect that there are very, very, few people "using solar panels as a main source of energy in their homes".

Uh, I suspect that there are very, very, few people "using solar panels as a main source of energy in their homes".

There aren't a lot. But the point is there are people using it right now. I'm not saying we can completely eliminate the use of coal tomorrow, but unless we invest in alternative sources of energy, we'll be dependent on coal forever.

put your money where your heart is.

if you are asking advice on national energy policy I have posted my thoughts hundreds of times in dedicated threads

I'm not gonna fish through threads to find what your opinions on energy are. If you don't want to answer, that's fine with me.

So now the goalpost is "We cannot possibly stop subsidizing coal, unless we have a brand new, completely unused, fully functional, power plant, ready, right now, to take over at the flip of a switch"?

Please. Tell us more about the unreasonable demands of the people you disagree with.

You guys are the ones saying let coal,oil and gas die.

That's fine. And, I agree that we should not subsidize any of these industries and that goes for the green industry too.

But,what is in the bullpen,ready to go?

biomass, geothermal, solar, wind, wave/tidal, hydro, and fission/fusion.

So, are you using them? Who's using them?

Why isn't the Volt selling?

I'll tell you why. They are not viable yet and won't be, for years because they are still in the experimental stage.

You guys/gals have this wrong.

I'm not saying don't do research,don't develop alternatives. We have to do that.

But we can't throw the baby out with the bath water either.

And we can't keep passing wrong headed policy that isn't thought through to where no one considers what the consequences are.

Consequences that directly affect the poor and the working class in a negative manner.

We're saying invest in research in alternative energy sources so that one day, we won't be dependent on coal, etc. In other words, slowly integrate new alternative energy sources as we slowly eliminate the need for coal, etc.

I actually don't think we're all that far apart on this issue after you specified what you were talking about in your last post.

I'm not gonna fish through threads to find what your opinions on energy are. If you don't want to answer, that's fine with me.

1. Oil companies good.
  2. Government bad.
  3. We should eliminate all environmental regulations.
  4. Eliminate all taxes on them.
  5. Let them do whatever they want.
  6. This will cause them to make energy cheap. Because that's what they want to do, is make energy cheap.
  7. The government should not encourage any alternative energy, unless said alternative already exists and is already cheaper than oil.
  8. Look at all the good it's done for Texas.

(OK, I'm paraphrasing a teensy bit.) :)

(Actually, #7 is actually a pretty accurate paraphrase of one of his common arguments.)

No, us guys aren't.

post #2645

They've cheated us all. They should be prosecuted for unfair business practices, but instead we pay them BILLIONS so they can continue doing it.

Let them die.

Stop making political promises to people working in a poisonous and corrupt industry.

Tell them they can either train for a new career, or they can die with it.

Read Bang's last 2 posts.

I'm assuming she agrees with Bang.

You've said nothing to that portion of the subject, so what do you want to do?

you would think these Greens and O would have them on each of their homes and a Volt in the drive

I hope we get to the point where solar panels are on top of all buildings starting with all the space on warehouses and shopping malls.

(OK, I'm paraphrasing a teensy bit.) :)

(Actually, #7 is actually a pretty accurate paraphrase of one of his common arguments.)

:ols:

Yet I buy my electricity from a renewable supplier, drive high MPG vehicles and conserve energy

you are correct I believe wasting money on non-cost efficient dated tech is truly ignorant and wasteful....especially when you enrich the Chinese while doing it.:beatdeadhorse:

the money is best spent on research and developing cost effective solutions

I'm assuming she agrees with Bang.

You've said nothing to that portion of the subject, so what do you want to do?

Invest in MORE research. That's all I'm really asking for at this point. I know we can't "throw the baby out with the bathwater" like you said. That's unrealistic, I'll admit. But at some point, with the technology and resources we have, we should be able to really scale back (hopefully eliminate) the need for fossil fuels in the near future.

I am saying let coal die.

Im also saying get rid of thesubsidies, and invest it in better technology to be able to make it work, and make it here.

Stop having wars for this stuff, and stop throwing money at it so we continue to have wars over it.

As i said,, if we had been investing in this for the last decade or more, there's no telling how much better off we could potentially be.

(Smart development, not politically motivated backscratching and buddy-system spending)

but so long as we keep chaining ourselves (and our development capital) to these fossils, we'll continue down these same roads.

This is my poition in a nutshell.

I recognize we're stuck with it for now.

But we need to be much more proactive in cutting these fossils off the teat.

And THAT we could do tomorrow.

And i also would like to say that I apologize for my over-spiritedness in these discussions. I've never had a problem with you before DP44, and i'd like to keep that streak going. My attitude is my fault, and it's more out of exasperation over the whole thing than anything you've personally written.

~Bang

I hope we get to the point where solar panels are on top of all buildings starting with all the space on warehouses and shopping malls.

you willing to pay for them?

as soon as they become reasonable fiscally it will happen.

I've never had a problem with you before DP44, and i'd like to keep that streak going. My attitude is my fault, and it's more out of exasperation over the whole thing than anything you've personally written.

~Bang

Same here Bang and to brandymac27,who I had a dust up with.

If I've offended anyone, I apologize. I'm just as frustrated with this country as you all are even if we disagree on how to fix it.

If Obama wins tomorrow,contrary to popular belief, my head will not explode. I've already survived four years of ineptitude,guess I'll figure out a way to survive four more .

you willing to pay for them?

as soon as they become reasonable fiscally it will happen.

Maybe when the 1% pay their fair share, we can use that money to start putting solar panels on businesses and homes! :D

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Same here Bang and to brandymac27,who I had a dust up with.

If I've offended anyone, I apologize. I'm just as frustrated with this country as you all are even if we disagree on how to fix it.

If Obama wins tomorrow,contrary to popular belief, my head will not explode. I've already survived four years of ineptitude,guess I'll figure out a way to survive four more .

No problem, and same here. Like I said earlier, it will be over tomorrow and hopefully we can all just move on.

Maybe when the 1% pay their fair share, we can use that money to start putting solar panels on businesses and homes! :D

we already are using their share and money we borrow.....not a wise choice to waste money you don't have

but we can always take and borrow more I guess

we already are using their share and money we borrow.....not a wise choice to waste money you don't have

but we can always take and borrow more I guess

This is what we should do:

“We as Republicans would be smart to tell our Democratic colleagues that we will eliminate deductions and apply the revenue to the deficit if you take on entitlements,” said (Lindsey) Graham. “But if we become the party that can’t compromise, in the view of the average person we’ll get punished.”

This is what we will get:

You want to know how unbending Speaker John Boehner is on tax increases?

He’s not willing to even consider hiking taxes on people making more than $1 million — something that’s been floated in the past as a possible compromise by members of both parties.

“We’re not raising taxes on small-business people,” Boehner told POLITICO during an interview in an Italian restaurant here. “Ernst and Young has made this clear: It’s going to cost our economy 700,000 jobs. Why in the world would we want to do that?”

Archived