Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Problem is, they have a severe talent deficiency EVERYWHERE. The type of large scale problems a quarterback can't fix.

What we have is a solid foundation. We've some nice potential talent at wide receiver and running back. Our offensive line is the best it's been in a long time, even though it's not necessarily good yet. Our defense is much improved. The holes we have are more easily filled with some smart signings in free agency and another good job. We're at a point now where we need a franchise quarterback to start building and growing with the team.

The Browns right now...pretty much have nothing. They have no running back. Their offensive line was one of their strengths, but this season their right tackle was in and out of the line-up, either due to injury or because he was just plain ol' benched, and aside from the left tackle, the line struggled in general. They've got no defensive line and only one linebacker. They've got some talent in the secondary with Haden and Ward, but that's it. And their receiver core is a joke. Anyone who claims our receiving core is the worst in the NFL needs to watch a Browns game. They've got a decent tight end who's likely to walk in free agency, a talented but raw 2nd year receiver, a guy who is still a better kick returner than a receiver but is mostly average, and then everyone sucks. They don't get separation. They aren't good route runners, they can't beat press coverage, none of them are fast enough to beat coverage down the field.

Free agency might help them a little, but they're not likely to entice the top-tier or even second tier players from a money standpoint. They're pretty much devoid of talent in every unit on their team.

Basically, we're in a good place to draft a potential franchise quarterback and start building around him.

The Browns are so bereft of talent that they almost have to draft other pieces to fix themselves. Flynn might be able to right the ship and keep them a float (I don't think he'd lead them to the playoffs in that division or anything, but he an keep them average) for a season or two while they rebuild this team, but they are way worse off than us.

Best post I've read so far. Great post and great points. This is EXACTLY why I don't see them sacrificing picks to move up. Too many doggone holes!

Can anyone see the Dolphins positioning themselves to draft RG3? There is no way he falls to 6....I've only heard John Clayton and others mention the Redskins but they could also trade up and draft him to excite their fanbase.

Q & A from today, Kiper

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42034/football-guru-mel-kiper

Jamie (BFE)

What would it take for KC to move from 10-11 to 3rd and pick RGIII?

Mel Kiper

(1:05 PM)

For KC, you're talking about giving up your first pick and some picks after that. They'd be in a position where they could make that move up. But they'll be in competition. I think the team that could move up is Miami. For Cleveland, I keep hearing that maybe they make a move for Matt Flynn. Green Bay will probably franchise him and trade him. Cleveland has that extra first round pick from Atlant. Washington might be interested in Peyton Manning. St. Louis and Minnesota could be looking to trade down.

Will (DC)

What's your best guess as to how Washington will approach fixing the QB position?

Mel Kiper

(1:56 PM)

Peyton Manning is the big option. You keep hearing they make a push for him. Mike Shanahan can't afford to misfire on another QB. His evaluation of QBs has been shaky. They went out to get McNabb. He gave the job to Rex Grossman. They went with John Beck. That all didn't work. Do they go after Matt Flynn? They might not go after him. RGIII in the draft is someone they'd have to move up to get. AFter him, there's no one else to go get. Mike Shanahan needs to start winning some games.

Clayton Q & A

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...-format-change

Q: I only see three teams that will go all in for a QB (Washington, Miami, Cleveland). Assuming, Peyton Manning is healthy and Colts want to trade Andrew Luck, I see three potential franchise QBs available to those teams (Luck, RG3 and Matt Flynn). Flynn will be signed before the draft (my guess by Redskins) leaving only two teams on draft day. My point is, I do not see the demand high enough to warrant giving away three first-round choices as some have suggested for Luck. Also, I don't think the Browns do anything but stay at No. 4.

John in Raleigh, N.C.

A: Good read on the situation, John. The Redskins would be the in the best position to trade up, but I agree that the price won't be three first-rounders. I could see a No. 1 and a No. 2 or a No. 1 and a No. 3 being the price to get up to the No. 2 pick and get Griffin III. You're probably right about the Browns, too. They will stay at No. 4 and hope a quarterback drops to them. If not, they might take a quarterback with the No. 22 pick in the first round, the pick they acquired from Atlanta. The team that needs to make a move is Miami. The Dolphins need something to sell tickets and the coaching search doesn't seem to be a big promotional campaign.

Can anyone see the Dolphins positioning themselves to draft RG3? There is no way he falls to 6....I've only heard John Clayton and others mention the Redskins but they could also trade up and draft him to excite their fanbase.

That really depends on Jeff Fisher or whoever they hire in Miami. For one, it's hard to ignore that Matt Moore played well. Really well, considering the circumstances. Moore might not be franchise, but his play this season, possibly, warrants a look.

Second, they may not have the firepower. They traded for Reggie Bush, but as of right now, we have no idea what those draft picks were. If those are conditional draft picks, that could be a third or fourth round pick, or both. If they're missing either one of those picks, they're screwed.

We can simply offer more at the moment. Once we know what picks the Dolphins gave up for Reggie Bush, things will become a little more clear. But if they're missing a fourth round pick or a third round pick, it makes things a whole lot harder for them to justify.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Kiper Q&A

God Mel Kiper is a moron....

Q & A from today, Kiper

Jamie (BFE)

Mel Kiper

For KC, you're talking about giving up your first pick and some picks after that. They'd be in a position where they could make that move up. But they'll be in competition. I think the team that could move up is Miami. For Cleveland, I keep hearing that maybe they make a move for Matt Flynn. Green Bay will probably franchise him and trade him. Cleveland has that extra first round pick from Atlant. Washington might be interested in Peyton Manning. St. Louis and Minnesota could be looking to trade down.

Will (DC)

What's your best guess as to how Washington will approach fixing the QB position?

Mel Kiper

Peyton Manning is the big option. You keep hearing they make a push for him. Mike Shanahan can't afford to misfire on another QB. His evaluation of QBs has been shaky. They went out to get McNabb. He gave the job to Rex Grossman. They went with John Beck. That all didn't work. Do they go after Matt Flynn? They might not go after him. RGIII in the draft is someone they'd have to move up to get. AFter him, there's no one else to go get. Mike Shanahan needs to start winning some games.

Clayton Q & A

Q: I only see three teams that will go all in for a QB (Washington, Miami, Cleveland). Assuming, Peyton Manning is healthy and Colts want to trade Andrew Luck, I see three potential franchise QBs available to those teams (Luck, RG3 and Matt Flynn). Flynn will be signed before the draft (my guess by Redskins) leaving only two teams on draft day. My point is, I do not see the demand high enough to warrant giving away three first-round choices as some have suggested for Luck. Also, I don't think the Browns do anything but stay at No. 4.

John in Raleigh, N.C.

A: Good read on the situation, John. The Redskins would be the in the best position to trade up, but I agree that the price won't be three first-rounders. I could see a No. 1 and a No. 2 or a No. 1 and a No. 3 being the price to get up to the No. 2 pick and get Griffin III. You're probably right about the Browns, too. They will stay at No. 4 and hope a quarterback drops to them. If not, they might take a quarterback with the No. 22 pick in the first round, the pick they acquired from Atlanta. The team that needs to make a move is Miami. The Dolphins need something to sell tickets and the coaching search doesn't seem to be a big promotional campaign.

So basically the Skins will get Flynn...or Manning.....or trade up to get RGIII....or.....well they really just need a freaking QB (at least both agree that Cleveland won't trade up lol)

So basically the Skins will get Flynn...or Manning.....or trade up to get RGIII....or.....well they really just need a freaking QB (at least both agree that Cleveland won't trade up lol)

Man, look at all that crap on the wall. I wonder what's going to stick, :-)

Q & A from today, Kiper

Jamie (BFE)

Mel Kiper

Will (DC)

Mel Kiper

Clayton Q & A

John in Raleigh, N.C.

LOL.. basically they have no clue. Wasnt Clayton just on the radio talking about "skins will trade to get RG3" . These guys will say just about every scenario so when it does play out they can say i told you so.

Robert Griffin Scouting Report

By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Great arm strength

Quick release

Accurate thrower

Smart; protects the football

Good field vision

Extremely mobile with scrambling ability

Very intelligent

Proven leader; passion for the game

Winner at collegiate level

Experienced 3-year starter

Clutch performer who plays at his best in crunch time

Good teammate without an ego

Plays with swagger

Opens up mismatches for teammates with dual-threat nature

High-character individual

Weaknesses:

Height is a touch short

Could use some more bulk to handle hitting

Rarely played against a top defense

Did not play in a pro-stye offense

Rarely took snaps from under center

Summary: Griffin was the most dangerous playmaker in college football in 2011. He did the most with the least and led his team to wins against programs the school could never compete with in past years. Despite a horrible defense and suspect offensive line, Griffin lit up scoreboards on a weekly basis. Griffin completed 72 percent of his passes for 4,293 yards with 37 touchdowns and six interceptions in 2011. He has also rushed for 699 yards and 10 touchdowns. Griffin won the Heisman Trophy for his dominant season.

Over his collegiate years, Griffin has been a consistent performer who has shown steady improvement. In 2008, Griffin started playing as a freshman. He completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,091 yards with 15 touchdowns and three interceptions. That season he ran for 1,118 yards and 13 touchdowns. He lost almost all of the 2009 season to injury. The year after, he had a completion percentage of 67 percent for 3,501 yards and 22 touchdowns with eight interceptions. He ran for 808 yards and eight scores.

Griffin has a strong arm, and his accuracy on throws deep downfield is truly remarkable. To all levels of the field, Griffin is extremely accurate throwing the ball. He can fire ropes on deep outs, all while making good decisions in the process.

Griffin is a fantastic athlete with speed to burn. He is a track competitor; when he breaks into the open field, he rips off yards in an instant. This season, Griffin also showed the grit to take some big hits and stay in the game.

Griffin is also a high-character individual who is very intelligent. He has the makings of a franchise quarterback on and off the field. Griffin has the toughness to be successful, but will have to be developed some at the NFL level, and learn how to operate a pro style offense. There isn't a competitor with Griffin to be the second quarterback behind Andrew Luck.

See http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012rgriffin.php for the rest of the article

By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Great arm strength

Quick release

Accurate thrower

Good field vision

Very intelligent

Plays with swagger

Weaknesses:

Height is a touch short

Summary: Griffin was the most dangerous playmaker in college football in 2011. He did the most with the least and led his team to wins against programs the school could never compete with in past years. Despite a horrible defense and suspect offensive line, Griffin lit up scoreboards on a weekly basis. Griffin completed 72 percent of his passes for 4,293 yards with 37 touchdowns and six interceptions in 2011. He has also rushed for 699 yards and 10 touchdowns. Griffin won the Heisman Trophy for his dominant season.

Over his collegiate years, Griffin has been a consistent performer who has shown steady improvement. In 2008, Griffin started playing as a freshman. He completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,091 yards with 15 touchdowns and three interceptions. That season he ran for 1,118 yards and 13 touchdowns. He lost almost all of the 2009 season to injury. The year after, he had a completion percentage of 67 percent for 3,501 yards and 22 touchdowns with eight interceptions. He ran for 808 yards and eight scores.

Griffin has a strong arm, and his accuracy on throws deep downfield is truly remarkable. To all levels of the field, Griffin is extremely accurate throwing the ball. He can fire ropes on deep outs, all while making good decisions in the process.

Griffin is a fantastic athlete with speed to burn. He is a track competitor; when he breaks into the open field, he rips off yards in an instant. This season, Griffin also showed the grit to take some big hits and stay in the game.

Griffin is also a high-character individual who is very intelligent. He has the makings of a franchise quarterback on and off the field. Griffin has the toughness to be successful, but will have to be developed some at the NFL level, and learn how to operate a pro style offense. There isn't a competitor with Griffin to be the second quarterback behind Andrew Luck.

See http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012rgriffin.php for the rest of the article

Wow. It's like they were really really reaching to have 5 weaknesses instead of 1. I mean Weakness 5 is a product of weakness 4 which really is the only TRUE traditional weakness. (And even that is becoming less of an issue in todays NFL).

Height is a "touch" short?! Really? I mean we're saying someone being a "touch" short is a weakness now. He's 6'2"'. There are NFL QBs under 6'2" who do fine. (but who cares about Drew Brees right?)

He could use some bulk? NFL weight and diet plan, plus won't be running track anymore that would be leaning him out.

Rarely played a top defense? First of all since when has this been listed as a weakness on a scouting report. I mean theres a lot of terrible defenses in college. Plus, He played 3 really good defenses this season and blow torched them.

Even if you want to throw them all in as legit weaknesses, this dude has VERY little to complain about. It's really insane.

Wow. It's like they were really really reaching to have 5 weaknesses instead of 1. I mean Weakness 5 is a product of weakness 4 which really is the only TRUE traditional weakness. (And even that is becoming less of an issue in todays NFL).

Height is a "touch" short?! Really? I mean we're saying someone being a "touch" short is a weakness now. He's 6'2"'. There are NFL QBs under 6'2" who do fine. (but who cares about Drew Brees right?)

He could use some bulk? NFL weight and diet plan, plus won't be running track anymore that would be leaning him out.

Rarely played a top defense? First of all since when has this been listed as a weakness on a scouting report. I mean theres a lot of terrible defenses in college. Plus, He played 3 really good defenses this season and blow torched them.

Even if you want to throw them all in as legit weaknesses, this dude has VERY little to complain about. It's really insane.

Uh, don't get to giddy. The negatives are valid points:

Height is a touch short - 6'2" is the bare minimum that scouts like to see in a QB, due to seeing over the LOS and batted down balls.

Could use some more bulk to handle hitting - He's listed at 220lbs and that's going to be a lean 220. With a trainer before the combines, I'd expect to see him at 230lbs range with more meat on his bones.

Rarely played against a top defense - Valid question about his college performance. Not a huge hit but a question mark nonetheless.

Did not play in a pro-stye offense - Spread QB's aren't seen as as pariahs like they were 5 years or so ago, but ideally you'd like to see a QB play in a pro style offense, such as Luck and Tannehill, and be more pro ready.

Rarely took snaps from under center - A big concern seeing how rarely Shanny uses the gun and how much this offense relies on play action passing.

All and all he is a tremendous prospect and will be a very good to franchise QB in the NFL, but his shortcomings coming out of college are real.

this is one of the most important aspects of being a QB, no one handles the ball more on offense, except the center

just as important as not throwing into double or triple coverage

personally, if we draft a QB, I'm torn on whether we should keep Grossman or let him go

on one hand he could be an excellent teacher, given his time in this offense, but on the other hand I don't want our rookie to pick up his bad habits

I realllllllly hope we get RGIII, truthfully there are worse options than Grossman out there, though, at least he's not Mark Sanchez

We can agree to disagree. I just think its more logical to think that a team that does not have a "franchise qb", doesn't have very much invested in their current starter, & needs a playmaker could be seriously interested in RGIII. And given that they have the amunition to move up, why would they leave it to chance?

Its very possible that they go for Flynn and one less competitor is there, but if they don't go for Flynn IMO they're a serious threat to trade ahead for RGIII and have assets we don't...

The browns really are sitting pretty with their draft choices. I could easily see them picking up Flynn, and using all of their picks to add talent, rather than trading away a chunk of them to move up a few spots for Griffin.

By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Great arm strength

Quick release

Accurate thrower

Good field vision

Very intelligent

Plays with swagger

Weaknesses:

Height is a touch short

All I can say is: Yes, please.

He embodies every characteristic of a QB that we have been starving for for 2+ decades. I will be so unbelievably disappointed if we don't get him. If we get Flynn, I will be furious. If we get Manning, I will also be very upset, but at least we will win.

God, if there is a god, please let us draft this guy. I don't think I can make it until April without knowing. The anticipation is driving me nuts. I have a terrible feeling we screw this up big time. But I guess that's due to me being a Redskins fan and being used to us royally screwing up every single opportunity.

Redskins might be able to get away with not trading up. The only team picking between them and the Rams (numbers 3, 4, and 5) that would need a QB is possibly the Browns. However, with the crap that Hillis pulled at RB this season, they might look at Richardson more.

Like you said, the Browns are in a similar situation as the Rams, and one of those commonalities is a 2nd year quarterback playing worse than his rookie year because of moving coaches and rebuilding teams. Both have some banged up WR's and little time to work with behind their OL.

The difference is Hillis took a huge fall, Madden curse-esque, really... And Jackson remains a reliable RB. That difference was worth one point in this years season game.

Seeing this as the alternative for the Browns, and Vikings/Bucs clearly not taking a glance at QBs... Redskins could end up with RGIII without giving up anything.

Redskins might be able to get away with not trading up. The only team picking between them and the Rams (numbers 3, 4, and 5) that would need a QB is possibly the Browns. However, with the crap that Hillis pulled at RB this season, they might look at Richardson more.

Like you said, the Browns are in a similar situation as the Rams, and one of those commonalities is a 2nd year quarterback playing worse than his rookie year because of moving coaches and rebuilding teams. Both have some banged up WR's and little time to work with behind their OL.

The difference is Hillis took a huge fall, Madden curse-esque, really... And Jackson remains a reliable RB. That difference was worth one point in this years season game.

Seeing this as the alternative for the Browns, and Vikings/Bucs clearly not taking a glance at QBs... Redskins could end up with RGIII without giving up anything.

I'd say his one big weakness (which is on some scouting reports) is the fact that he doesn't read through his progressions and needs to get a better grasp on the passing lanes. Pro defenses will expose this weakness but it is something he can improve on. RG3 has football smarts.

The biggest problem I see right now is the number of people getting absolutely locked in on RGIII, there is going to be a bloodbath if he goes elsewhere in the draft. Yes, the kid looks solid, has a huge upside, but there always has to be a Plan B ( and C and D most times) because not only would other teams like to get him, they wouldn't want to see US get him.

He is a helluva college QB, exactly how that translate into a pro level QB remains to be seen, but it is difficult to read the reviews and analyses and not get amped. Quality, character guy, smart, coachable,...... sure appears that he could upgrade everything else under the right tutelage. It is fun to watch all the YouBoob videos but there are a lot of those plays that wouldn't fly in the bigs against top tier D talent.

The biggest problem I see right now is the number of people getting absolutely locked in on RGIII, there is going to be a bloodbath if he goes elsewhere in the draft. Yes, the kid looks solid, has a huge upside, but there always has to be a Plan B ( and C and D most times) because not only would other teams like to get him, they wouldn't want to see US get him.

He is a helluva college QB, exactly how that translate into a pro level QB remains to be seen, but it is difficult to read the reviews and analyses and not get amped. Quality, character guy, smart, coachable,...... sure appears that he could upgrade everything else under the right tutelage. It is fun to watch all the YouBoob videos but there are a lot of those plays that wouldn't fly in the bigs against top tier D talent.

I agree with you. I want us to do everything possible to get RGIII, but if we can't you ALWAYS have to have something in your back pocket. Alot can and will happen before the draft even gets here ( namely free agency). I'm crossing my fingers we somehow land him, but if we don't I trust shanny and Allen to find our new QB using different avenues. Hail.

I agree with you. I want us to do everything possible to get RGIII, but if we can't you ALWAYS have to have something in your back pocket. Alot can and will happen before the draft even gets here ( namely free agency). I'm crossing my fingers we somehow land him, but if we don't I trust shanny and Allen to find our new QB using different avenues. Hail.

This is more and more becoming truth. I would not want to sell the farm to move to two or three to get RG3 unless Shanny feels he really is the guy. I would not be shocked and actually would be impressed if the Skins move down, pick up more picks and take a QB nobody saw coming. He is coaching the College All star game and might see some other players he feels he has to have. This FO I think is gettting quantity and quality in one swipe. And just going for one player may not be in the cards.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that the Peyton Manning option will be very attractive to Shanahan. At this stage of his career it must be very tempting to work with a QB of Manning's calibre and the timing is such that they could conceivably end their careers together, hopefully with some success. In the last couple of years Shanahan has shown little sign og being interested in blooding a rookie QB and perhaps that is more significant than we realised. Also, after a couple of rough seasons and several misfires at QB, Shanahan might feel an dditional keen to get immediate results from the QB position. I hope I am wrong, I would rather go for a long-term solution.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that the Peyton Manning option will be very attractive to Shanahan. At this stage of his career it must be very tempting to work with a QB of Manning's calibre and the timing is such that they could conceivably end their careers together, hopefully with some success. In the last couple of years Shanahan has shown little sign og being interested in blooding a rookie QB and perhaps that is more significant than we realised. Also, after a couple of rough seasons and several misfires at QB, Shanahan might feel an dditional keen to get immediate results from the QB position. I hope I am wrong, I would rather go for a long-term solution.

Just on that note. RGIII said on ESPN yesterday that he would be honored to learn behind Peyton. Said he's one of the greatest ever

good point because lets not forget who was the coach of Elway when he retire. Wouldn't that be something Manning coming here and winning a couple of SBs and then retiring. Now I would take that over having a long term solution at QB.

I think Shanahan has been interested in bringing in a rookie QB that he really liked to groom. His first year here he apparently tried to trade up for Bradford but the Rams were either having none of it or they were asking an absolutely insane price. Last draft I just don't think there was anyone he liked enough where we drafted. Perhaps he liked Locker but then he went earlier than expected. They floated rumors that they liked Gabbert but that was obviously just a smokescreen. At that point their next best move was to trade back and try to stockpile picks. They apparently liked Dalton as well but he was gone by the time they picked. I think it has just been a string of bad decisions/bad luck.

No to Peyton. Just no. With our offensive line, HELL NO. he would be beat to death in the NFCE behind our O-line. Just get RGIII and move on. Please Shanny.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that the Peyton Manning option will be very attractive to Shanahan.

After the McNabb debacle, I don't see the Redskins going after another aging vet. Shanahan & Allen can not take that gamble. We need a young franchise QB that this fan base can get excited about.....we need RG3.

With that said, the only way I would take Manning is if we drafted Tannehill.

Archived