Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Just on that note. RGIII said on ESPN yesterday that he would be honored to learn behind Peyton. Said he's one of the greatest ever

Well now, that would be a dream ticket...but I guess he was talking about Indianapolis, it's hard to see them both landing in DC. It really grinds my gears that the Colts are in such a strong draft position after a single bad season. Surely twenty years of mediocrity should count for more!

@mistertim - You are probably right and i've always assumed that Shanahan passed on drafting a QB because he felt...probably correctly...that there wasn't a worthwhile prospect. I was just throwing out the idea that there could be more to it than that.

Well now, that would be a dream ticket...but I guess he was talking about Indianapolis, it's hard to see them both landing in DC. It really grinds my gears that the Colts are in such a strong draft position after a single bad season. Surely twenty years of mediocrity should count for more!

Yes they were talking about Indy. But a QB will be brought in before the draft. Is it goint to be Manning? IDK

No to Peyton. Just no. With our offensive line, HELL NO. he would be beat to death in the NFCE behind our O-line. Just get RGIII and move on. Please Shanny.

I completely agree. Haven't we learned our lesson yet with players in the twighlight of their careers? If we give Manning, who I like btw, a huge money deal, I think I'll take the next 4 years off watching this team.

Wes Bunting on RG 3

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?361503-Hogs-Haven-Wes-Bunting-Talks-RG3-and-Blackmon-Specifically-Their-Fit-in-Washington

Wes: They'd have to give up their 6th round pick and either a 2nd round pick and then a player, or another first round pick. I think that would do it...Robert Griffin III, if he was in last year's draft class, I would have graded had him out as the top overall Quarterback. Ahead of Cam Newton. Ahead of Christian Ponder. I like him that much.

BHR: Break that down a little more:

Wes: "Robert Griffin is a guy with elite athletic ability who can create both inside and outside the pocket. You have a guy that can make all the throws, that is quick footed, that can reset his feet, he finds secondary reads. The game comes very natural to him. Much like Cam Newton. Granted, he's not the same size and doesn't have quite the same, elite arm strength but they are both top tier athletes and top tier throwers at the position. Unlike Cam Newtown, there's absolutely no off-the-field issues or on-the-field character concerns....Robert Griffin, both of his parents I believe are officers in the Army, he comes from a good home, strong, morally sound kid that puts in the work, had developerd from his Freshman, Sophomore, Junior Year, a high hurdler, high marks...Do I think he's going to have the same type of year - elite, best-ever rookie Quarterback in the NFL like Cam Newton? Probably not, but as a prospect coming out I'd feel a lot more comfortable with RG3 than I did Cam Newton last year."

I hate to say this, because I like Shanahan here as coach.

But Shanahan needs to make a play for Luck or RG3, if for no other reason to keep his job.(And at a bare minimum...draft one early in the draft and have him ready by no LATER, than starting 2013.)

I think we all know how fickle, Dan Snyder is.

Here we are with 2 failed seasons and no Franchise QB for our current future to speak of. I think he's safe for now, with such a great draft and youth infusion of talent added.

But Dan Snyder hates losing, about as much as we all do & more.

Drafting a Luck/RG3 would certainly buy him 2 more season, which is when his Contract runs out I believe.

But if he/we ignore the most important position on the field and continue these 5-11--6-10 seasons?

He may not make to then...

Simply put? The sand in Shanahan's hour glass, is starting to pour down quicker. He's running out of time....

I hate to say this, because I like Shanahan here as coach.

But Shanahan needs to make a play for Luck or RG3, if for no other reason to keep his job.(And at a bare minimum...draft one early in the draft and have him ready by no LATER, than starting 2013.)

I think we all know how fickle, Dan Snyder is.

Here we are with 2 failed seasons and no Franchise QB for our current future to speak of. I think he's safe for now, with such a great draft and youth infusion of talent added.

But Dan Snyder hates losing, about as much as we all do & more.

Drafting a Luck/RG3 would certainly buy him 2 more season, which is when his Contract runs out I believe.

But if he/we ignore the most important position on the field and continue these 5-11--6-10 seasons?

He may not make to then...

Simply put? The sand in Shanahan's hour glass, is starting to pour down quicker. He's running out of time....

I'm honestly surprised you think that. I can see your POV but I think Shanny has 2 years minimum in my book. I agree with your points about a franchise QB and needing to start by opening game 2013 latest, but given the roster Shanny inherited I think he has done a great job on our D and picked up some big O players, particularly Helu and Royster.I think Snyder has finally got the picture and realised we can't turn the team round in a year, we need some consistency and I'd hope that if Allen had anything about him he would beat the hell out of Snyder if he considered firing Shanny. Even if we have another losing season. I trust Shanny, and I will take another losing season if it happens next year because I think we are picking up the right pieces to be real contenders in 2013/2014. I can't see a scenario where Snyder runs out of patience before Shanahan runs out of contract - the guy is a proven winner and he is building our once great team into a genuinely good team for the first time in years. If we have another painful season then fine, because this is about a bigger picture.

I'm honestly surprised you think that. I can see your POV but I think Shanny has 2 years minimum in my book. I agree with your points about a franchise QB and needing to start by opening game 2013 latest, but given the roster Shanny inherited I think he has done a great job on our D and picked up some big O players, particularly Helu and Royster.I think Snyder has finally got the picture and realised we can't turn the team round in a year, we need some consistency and I'd hope that if Allen had anything about him he would beat the hell out of Snyder if he considered firing Shanny. Even if we have another losing season. I trust Shanny, and I will take another losing season if it happens next year because I think we are picking up the right pieces to be real contenders in 2013/2014. I can't see a scenario where Snyder runs out of patience before Shanahan runs out of contract - the guy is a proven winner and he is building our once great team into a genuinely good team for the first time in years. If we have another painful season then fine, because this is about a bigger picture.

I hate to say it, but Shanahan could be out after this season if things go horribly wrong. I'm on the "Snyder has learned his lesson" team and I think he will be patient, but if we regress in 2012 then there's trouble. On the other hand, if we draft RG3 or another guy and finish say 6-10 or 7-9 and show lots of potential and improvement, then no doubt Snyder will stay the course.

This is year 3 of the rebuild -- it's time to get a QB. The McNabb fiasco set us back a couple years. Let's get RG3, even though he's a bit raw, because the upside is tremendous.

This is year 3 of the rebuild -- it's time to get a QB. The McNabb fiasco set us back a couple years. Let's get RG3, even though he's a bit raw, because the upside is tremendous.

I agree with the rest of your post but the McNabb thing didn't set us back a couple of years. We haven't had many options to solve the QB issue. We didn't like anyone else besides Bradford. Last year We didn't like Gabbert (And now I can see why). And the Titans got Locker just before us. We gambled in that situation and Lost. I could see everyone talking Gabbert up and nothing being said about Locker. We probably thought if he stayed under the radar, we could get Locker without having to trade up. Again, we lost.

(1:56 PM)

Peyton Manning is the big option. You keep hearing they make a push for him. Mike Shanahan can't afford to misfire on another QB. His evaluation of QBs has been shaky. They went out to get McNabb. He gave the job to Rex Grossman. They went with John Beck. That all didn't work. Do they go after Matt Flynn? They might not go after him. RGIII in the draft is someone they'd have to move up to get. AFter him, there's no one else to go get. Mike Shanahan needs to start winning some games.

This. I see this as the likeliest scenario.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

Last year We didn't like Gabbert (And now I can see why). And the Titans got Locker just before us. We gambled in that situation and Lost. I could see everyone talking Gabbert up and nothing being said about Locker. We probably thought if he stayed under the radar, we could get Locker without having to trade up. Again, we lost.

I think we made the right decision not getting Locker. I wasn't impressed with his college performance by any stretch of the imagination.

Peyton Manning is not coming here. He's little brother is in this division for one. And what team you think he is going to chose Miami Dolphins or Us. Its not that hard of a choice. You get to throw to Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush. You have Jake Long protecting your blindside and a running game. Oh and have a defense that can hold their end of the bargain. Dolphins is going to go after him hard and that's who they are going to get. Flynn is going to the Browns.

Peyton Manning is not coming here. He's little brother is in this division for one. And what team you think he is going to chose Miami Dolphins or Us. Its not that hard of a choice. You get to throw to Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush. You have Jake Long protecting your blindside and a running game. Oh and have a defense that can hold their end of the bargain. Dolphins is going to go after him hard and that's who they are going to get. Flynn is going to the Browns.

And he will get to play vs Brady 2 times a year. :)

I may have worded things a bit strongly. I did say having a franchise quarterback is crucial and our biggest need.

My main point is looking at people here they think that with RG3 we will be superbowl bound in the next three years. I am just echoing TK's point that people need to calm down on RG3 this early. Even with a "franchise quarterback," there are teams that haven't sniffed the superbowl.

Yeah, then I completely agree with you. Your point is great...some teams, even with very good QBs, spend several years knocking on the door without ever breaking through.

I can't get past the thought that if Peyton is healthy enough to play, he'll be a Colt. Irsay loves Manning to death, said it would be a "family decision not a football decision" on his future. I don't believe Manning would want to leave Indy. I think he loves being a Colt and would reject the idea of playing anywhere else. If he becomes available, it'll be because he can't play.

You put all this together' you'd think the Dolphins are a good team. I watched most of their games this year, IMO if they don't have as many problems as we do, they are pretty close. Their defense is rated behind ours, outside of WEake they need another pass rusher. their secondary is so so. O line so so at best, disaster at RT, just like us.

Fred Smoot on Rg 3

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/fred-smoot-on-tim-tebow-the-ravens-robert-griffin-iii-and-rex-grossman/2012/01/12/gIQARoPCuP_blog.html

Robert Griffin III

“I think he’s the pick for the Redskins,” Smoot said of the Heisman trophy winner. “That’s a no-brainer. Let me ask you something: what two things go together for a championship? These are the two things that go together for a championship: a consistent coach, and a good quarterback who’s raised to be great. Tom Brady and Belichick, Sean Payton and Drew Brees, Tom Coughlin and Eli.

“I played for the Redskins for almost a decade, and I never had that, and we never won. It goes together. What do I like about [Griffin]? I like everything about him. Yes, I would like him to bulk up a little bit, but that comes with the good life. That will happen for him. He’s a better thrower than people think, he can run, I think his best football is in front of him, and he’s willing to sit and learn.”

Rex Grossman

“I was the reason Rex got to play [at Florida], I was the reason Jesse Palmer got sent to the oak,” Smoot said. “We blew em out like 40-20, and Coach Spurrier threw Rex and Jabar Gaffney in the game. He took everybody out. He was pissed. I got the interception that got pretty boy Jesse sent to the oak.

“The only way you can win with a Rex Grossman at quarterback is if you have a dominating defense, a dominating run game, and a number one receiver that demands a double team. Unless you have the perfect ingredients, I don’t think he’s your guy. And look around your division, you have to get with the program. You have to say we need a face, we need a franchise quarterback who we’re gonna not only give time to progress, but we’re gonna put the right pieces around -- not to fit our accolades but to fit his.”

And he will get to play vs Brady 2 times a year. :)

I don't think he cares anybit about that. Peyton ain't no punk he won't be scared of Brady.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 08:26 PM ----------

You put all this together' you'd think the Dolphins are a good team. I watched most of their games this year, IMO if they don't have as many problems as we do, they are pretty close. Their defense is rated behind ours, outside of WEake they need another pass rusher. their secondary is so so. O line so so at best, disaster at RT, just like us.

Fred Smoot on Rg 3

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/fred-smoot-on-tim-tebow-the-ravens-robert-griffin-iii-and-rex-grossman/2012/01/12/gIQARoPCuP_blog.html

Robert Griffin III

“I think he’s the pick for the Redskins,” Smoot said of the Heisman trophy winner. “That’s a no-brainer. Let me ask you something: what two things go together for a championship? These are the two things that go together for a championship: a consistent coach, and a good quarterback who’s raised to be great. Tom Brady and Belichick, Sean Payton and Drew Brees, Tom Coughlin and Eli.

“I played for the Redskins for almost a decade, and I never had that, and we never won. It goes together. What do I like about [Griffin]? I like everything about him. Yes, I would like him to bulk up a little bit, but that comes with the good life. That will happen for him. He’s a better thrower than people think, he can run, I think his best football is in front of him, and he’s willing to sit and learn.”

Rex Grossman

“I was the reason Rex got to play [at Florida], I was the reason Jesse Palmer got sent to the oak,” Smoot said. “We blew em out like 40-20, and Coach Spurrier threw Rex and Jabar Gaffney in the game. He took everybody out. He was pissed. I got the interception that got pretty boy Jesse sent to the oak.

“The only way you can win with a Rex Grossman at quarterback is if you have a dominating defense, a dominating run game, and a number one receiver that demands a double team. Unless you have the perfect ingredients, I don’t think he’s your guy. And look around your division, you have to get with the program. You have to say we need a face, we need a franchise quarterback who we’re gonna not only give time to progress, but we’re gonna put the right pieces around -- not to fit our accolades but to fit his.”

With a lame duck coach yeah they under perform. But they do have a legit top ten WR in this league and they have a RB that defenses have to account for. That's already more than we have. Not to mention that who wouldn't love to go and play in Miami with Peyton? They can get another WR or anything they need before they even sniff the draft. They the better destination for him over us and you can't tell me other wise.

I'm thinking the most likely scenarios are thus:

1. Grab one of the premium FA WRs, trade up and grab RG3

2. Grab Flynn, Draft Blackmon,

3. Draft Blackmon, grab someone like Tannehill as a project

4. Another weird alternative if Manning was cut would we would get Manning... if that's the case we would probably grab Blackmon. I don't see us grabbing a FA WR if we somehow got Manning b/c of salary cap.

I think the top two scenarios are the most likely, given that we already swung and missed on McNabb and it's already going to be year 3 of 5 with Shanahan.

Therefore, if we target and land one of the premium FA WRs, I think it's more likely that we will try to trade up for RG3.

If, however, we target Flynn, we will most likely try to draft a WR (although it's certainly possible that we could try to grab a FA WR but that would make maneuvering the cap harder even though we have tons of money).

I'm no football guy, but personally I'd like to see RG3 here and us picking up a stud WR in FA and then addressing the rest of whatever is with our draft picks. We seem to be drafting well with later rounds so if we can grab some decent depth and maybe a starter or two we can contend in NFCE next year.

Flynn/Blackmon for example, is probably the safer choice since Blackmon probably won't bust, and Flynn won't cost us a draft choice. But ehhh I'm not terribly convinced by Flynn with GB offense coming to ours.

I don't know we'll have to see... this is exciting but frustrating at the same time.

We're not drafting Blackmon.

Even if he does somehow make it past the Rams, Vikings, Browns AND Bucks (all teams who DESPERATELY need help at wide receiver), I don't see Mike taking a receiver in the first round. Not with the number six pick. It's not his style. He finds his skill position guys in the later rounds.

In that case RGIII falls to us at #6. I just don't see Seattle going nuts and offering the Bucks for example a boat load of picks for the number 5 spot. it could happen but most likely it will not happen. My problem is we need our second rounder this year for a CB, OL, MLB etc. We are not set in all the positions guys, we have other needs and to be a complete team we can't give away the house, especially when we do have a very high draft position this year. And if we don't get RGIII so be it. There are some great players there that would help this team down the road.

I heard all the arguments, but how were these arguments different from last year when everyone in here was saying we got to pick a QB we got to pick a QB. Trust our scouts, and Allen I think they will put the right move just like they did with Kerrigan.

In that case RGIII falls to us at #6. I just don't see Seattle going nuts and offering the Bucks for example a boat load of picks for the number 5 spot. it could happen but most likely it will not happen. My problem is we need our second rounder this year for a CB, OL, MLB etc. We are not set in all the positions guys, we have other needs and to be a complete team we can't give away the house, especially when we do have a very high draft position this year. And if we don't get RGIII so be it. There are some great players there that would help this team down the road.

You make a legitimate point but IF (and right now, it is still an IF the size of the Chrysler Building) they can actually "fix" the QB position, draft a top tier rook, etc., you are going to see a lot of improvements elsewhere. You get an offense that can score more than a field goal every couple trips into the red zone and voila! Your D is not on the field as much, playing with a lead, dictating games instead of having to react, and all of sudden your DBs look better, your passrush is teeing off on QBs that have to pass, some of our young WRs start to get production, our young RBs are ripping off longer runs, etc., etc., and so on.

I just cannot see how QB is not THE single highest priority here.

I heard all the arguments, but how were these arguments different from last year when everyone in here was saying we got to pick a QB we got to pick a QB. Trust our scouts, and Allen I think they will put the right move just like they did with Kerrigan.

It's sort of like a doctor telling a patient to cut down on the red meat, the patient ignores it, and has a heart attack. Question is now will anything change, why not go back to the red meat? Well, a 5-11 season, 24 turnovers, and Shanny being critiqued left and right for blowing it on QB, and I presume he won't be the first coach in the NFL who is allowed to have continual bad seasons without being fearful for their job. I am in the tank for Shanny as anybody, but yeah I'd be stunned if he doesn't get a QB high up in the draft or free agency. Heck forget all this stuff, just based on Shanny's rhetoric alone, he's critiqued Rex, says they are looking for a franchise QB -- that doesn't sound like Shanny's rhetoric from last season. If you recall last off season, Shanny wasn't really talking Qb predraft, when asked for his priority, he kept saying pass rushing.

Archived