Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Absolutely. It doesn't matter what targets you have if you don't have a good QB and I'm not buying what Matt Flynn is selling by any stretch.

Flynn has a shot to be at best (IMO) a solid starter with very limited upside. RG3 has the potential to be a transcendental star at the QB position. I'll take the latter, regardless of who he is throwing to.

And I didnt even consider who ever our 2013 1st rounder would be or any other picks that we would have to give up. Im not leaning one way or the other just yet but I am very glad the combine comes before FA begins.

McCoy was a 3rd round pick, They don't owe him anything. At this point pretty much everyone is having wishful thinking that Cleveland would pass on him @ 4. I'd love to see it happen, but chances aren't that great of it.

Exactly. They have very little invested in him. Holmgren would not commit to McCoy in his season ending presser and Shurmer openly discussed how talented RGIII is even going so far to say "Good players at all positions fit every offense" and called him a "tremendous talent". Convincing yourself that the Browns wouldn't be interested if they didn't sign Flynn in FA is purely wishful thinking. If you think otherwise ask yourself this, would you be pleased if the Skins QB solution this season was a trade for McCoy?

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2011/12/30/sports/doc4efd3ccc6bf1d933382833.txt

Exactly. They have very little invested in him. Holmgren would not commit to McCoy in his season ending presser and Shurmer openly discussed how talented RGIII is even going so far to say "Good players at all positions fit every offense" and called him a "tremendous talent". Convincing yourself that the Browns wouldn't be interested if they didn't sign Flynn in FA is purely wishful thinking. If you think otherwise ask yourself this, would you be pleased if the Skins QB solution this season was a trade for McCoy?

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2011/12/30/sports/doc4efd3ccc6bf1d933382833.txt

Sigh. Again there is a difference between being unsure if Colt is the answer or not at QB and wanting to put him in an open competition and let him get a full offseason in a new offense and KNOWING Colt is not the answer to the point where you are willing to trade away picks or outbid someone for another QB. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Nobody is saying the Browns aren't interested in RG3. They could be. They are probably thinking that if he falls to them at #4 they may take him. That however is quite different then we have absolutely no faith in Colt and will trade mutiple picks away to move up.

I don't know squat and can admit that, thought cam had bust written alll over him, but I just don't see how rg3 can bust, he may not live up to #2 overall but he's not jr... He will be a good - great acquisition and if that means 2 #1's so be it.. You have to get lucky in this league and take advantage of striking distance.. If he busts then to me it's way better than Flynn busting cause at least u tried...whereas Flynn is the win now mentality that has plagued the skins since I can remember.

I wish I could find the comment again, but Someone said rg3 is a slow Vick, and I have to say are u crazy, he's Olympic caliber at the 400, one of the main reasons he was hesitant to come out of college...

I wouldn't say he is a "slow Vick" but I doubt he is as fast a Vick. I think Vick ran a legit 4.3 40 when he came out. If I had to guess I would say Griffin ends up in the 4.4 to 4.45 range (which is still very fast). Thing about Vick vs Griffin is they are just completely different players when it comes to running as well as passing. Vick was a better runner (Griffin is fast and has good straight line speed but he doesn't break ankles and leave defenders looking completely stupid like Vick did). However, Vick was also a worse passer. His pocket presence, footwork, accuracy...they were all questionable, whereas Griffin seems to be very good in all of those areas. I don't really think the two are very comparable, honestly. Very different prospects.

Sigh. Again there is a difference between being unsure if Colt is the answer or not at QB and wanting to put him in an open competition and let him get a full offseason in a new offense and KNOWING Colt is not the answer to the point where you are willing to trade away picks or outbid someone for another QB. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Nobody is saying the Browns aren't interested in RG3. They could be. They are probably thinking that if he falls to them at #4 they may take him. That however is quite different then we have absolutely no faith in Colt and will trade mutiple picks away to move up.

Sigh....They know he won't be available at 4 if they do want him because a team will trade ahead of them. They also aren't going to come out & say that Colt is not the guy before they even get a replacement. Saying he will face competition is a good indication that they are not confident he is. Shanahan hasn't declared that Rex can't be the guy definitively because we don't have anyone else on the roster who can be yet.

And you totally ignored their own coach proclaiming his admiration for RGIII. Again you're absolutely just hoping that they don't want him and are content to just see if he falls to them. Wishful thinking.

Sigh....They know he won't be available at 4 if they do want him because a team will trade ahead of them. They also aren't going to come out & say that Colt is not the guy before they even get a replacement. Saying he will face competition is a good indication that they are not confident he is. Shanahan hasn't declared that Rex can't be the guy definitively because we don't have anyone else on the roster who can be yet.

And you totally ignored their own coach proclaiming his admiration for RGIII. Again you're absolutely just hoping that they don't want him and are content to just see if he falls to them. Wishful thinking.

I'm not going back and forth with you. If you're going to post his comments about RGIII, then go back and post what both said about Colt and how everyone still believes in him and they know his situation was made more difficult by all of the injuries and lack of skill position talent. I'm not picking and choosing, I've read it all and I still do not believe they will trade away picks for RG3.

Browns will only take RGIII if he falls to them. Point blank. SOOOOO many more holes on that team as we all have stated before. Besides, what's to stop them from taking a top notch player at 4 like Richardson (who is the best back I've seen play since AP) and draft Tannehill in the late first with their other pick? It will be piss poor management if they trade multiple picks to move up, when they have so many other positions to fill and needs as many picks as possible.

Browns will only take RGIII if he falls to them. Point blank. SOOOOO many more holes on that team as we all have stated before. Besides, what's to stop them from taking a top notch player at 4 like Richardson (who is the best back I've seen play since AP) and draft Tannehill in the late first with their other pick? It will be piss poor management if they trade multiple picks to move up, when they have so many other positions to fill and needs as many picks as possible.

Couldn't the same be said about our team?

Yea, but we KNOW for a fact that a QB is one of the biggest holes we have. For the Browns, it's not. Like I said, McCoy was playing well given his crappy situation before he got injured. Someone else said he .is essentially Flacco without the weapons. Give McCoy weapons and a decent o-line and he could be great IMO.

I'm not going back and forth with you. If you're going to post his comments about RGIII, then go back and post what both said about Colt and how everyone still believes in him and they know his situation was made more difficult by all of the injuries and lack of skill position talent. I'm not picking and choosing, I've read it all and I still do not believe they will trade away picks for RG3.

From Heckert:

Heckert indicated he'd like to use all nine picks this season, including the first- and fourth-round selections acquired in the trade with Atlanta. The Browns have three picks in the top 37.

"That's one of the reason we made the trade -- to get more players," said Heckert. "You never say never, but we like our picks right now. We have nine right now and hopefully we'll get some compensatory picks. We'd like to add nine good football players."

I like RG3 the most from the neck-up. He's a smart guy who could be the face of the NFL. Would handle it with class. With his athleticism/smarts, I'm not worried that he never takes snaps under center, and I'm not worried about him 'running too much and getting hurt'. I think he has the ability to adjust to anything.

we have holes, no doubt. but we do have a handful of young players we are hoping could develop. and i think mccoy is seen as having some upside. i think we are far more desperate for a QB than cleveland.

i've said before that i think a good QB hides alot of deficiencies.

man, it would be sweet to have a franchise signal caller for the first time since i was a kid.

We can agree to disagree. I just think its more logical to think that a team that does not have a "franchise qb", doesn't have very much invested in their current starter, & needs a playmaker could be seriously interested in RGIII. And given that they have the amunition to move up, why would they leave it to chance?

Its very possible that they go for Flynn and one less competitor is there, but if they don't go for Flynn IMO they're a serious threat to trade ahead for RGIII and have assets we don't...

No?

The Browns had the 2nd to last defense against the run

The Browns lead the league in dropped passes

The Browns starting running back has a tense relationship with the organization and isn't expected to return next year

The Browns only managed to have a running back rush for over 100 yards in a game twice all season

The Browns only managed to have a wide receiver or tight end catch for over 100 yards once in a game all season

30th in points scored, 24th in passing yards, 28th in rushing yards, 30th against the run

Total Offense:

Redskins 16th

Browns 29th

Passing:

Redskins 14th

Browns 24th

Rushing:

Redskins 25th

Browns 28th

Receiving:

Redskins 14th

Browns 25th

Scoring:

Redskins 26th

Browns 30th

We beat them in almost every statistical category offensively (and that tells you how awful their offense was because ours was atrocious).

Guys here is an amazing scouting report on RG3...hits on all the points... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/979087-robert-griffin-iii-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Great scouting report.....:thumbsup:

Man, I'm just so worried that we won't get RG3. I really wish we could get a feeling where Shanny & Allen are going to go in this draft and April can't get here soon enough.

I want this jersey someday.....can't imagine not owning it. :)

p1369303_customback.chain]

Wouldn't it then make sense for them to get a potential franchise QB?

I'd think that if a team can't run or pass the ball, dropped more passes that hit them in the hands than any other team in the league, doesn't have any consistent wide receivers or running back and can't stop the run - they wouldn't be quick to spend multiple draft picks on one position. As bad as the Skins were last year, the Browns were much worse in skill positions (and defensively there wasn't much of a difference, they were 10th and Skins were 13th). Colt McCoy and Josh Freeman ended the year with the same QB rating - which was better than Rex Grossman's and thus we need a QB more than they do lol!

Browns will only take RGIII if he falls to them. Point blank.

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself. The Browns made the Atlanta trade with the focus being that they would get more picks....five total. If they move up they would lose what they gained last year and it is all for naught. The Browns will get Kevin Kolb or Flynn.

We can't take a chance though and must get to #2 or #3.

I'd think that if a team can't run or pass the ball, dropped more passes that hit them in the hands than any other team in the league, doesn't have any consistent wide receivers or running back and can't stop the run - they wouldn't be quick to spend multiple draft picks on one position. As bad as the Skins were last year, the Browns were much worse in skill positions (and defensively there wasn't much of a difference, they were 10th and Skins were 13th).
Well said er written.

Wouldn't it then make sense for them to get a potential franchise QB?

Problem is, they have a severe talent deficiency EVERYWHERE. The type of large scale problems a quarterback can't fix.

What we have is a solid foundation. We've some nice potential talent at wide receiver and running back. Our offensive line is the best it's been in a long time, even though it's not necessarily good yet. Our defense is much improved. The holes we have are more easily filled with some smart signings in free agency and another good job. We're at a point now where we need a franchise quarterback to start building and growing with the team.

The Browns right now...pretty much have nothing. They have no running back. Their offensive line was one of their strengths, but this season their right tackle was in and out of the line-up, either due to injury or because he was just plain ol' benched, and aside from the left tackle, the line struggled in general. They've got no defensive line and only one linebacker. They've got some talent in the secondary with Haden and Ward, but that's it. And their receiver core is a joke. Anyone who claims our receiving core is the worst in the NFL needs to watch a Browns game. They've got a decent tight end who's likely to walk in free agency, a talented but raw 2nd year receiver, a guy who is still a better kick returner than a receiver but is mostly average, and then everyone sucks. They don't get separation. They aren't good route runners, they can't beat press coverage, none of them are fast enough to beat coverage down the field.

Free agency might help them a little, but they're not likely to entice the top-tier or even second tier players from a money standpoint. They're pretty much devoid of talent in every unit on their team.

Basically, we're in a good place to draft a potential franchise quarterback and start building around him.

The Browns are so bereft of talent that they almost have to draft other pieces to fix themselves. Flynn might be able to right the ship and keep them a float (I don't think he'd lead them to the playoffs in that division or anything, but he an keep them average) for a season or two while they rebuild this team, but they are way worse off than us.

Archived