Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

colts to take luck with #1 pick (espn ticker during duke bball game)

daveakl

What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?

• 1982 Vs Detroit - Alvin Garret 3 TD Catches
    • 1982 Vs Detroit - Jeris White 77 INT Return for a TD
    • 1986 Vs LA Rams - Darrell Green running down and Eric Dickerson
    • 1990 @ Philadelphia - Defeating the Eagles 20-6
    • 1992 @ Minnesota - Defeating the Vikings 24-7
    • 1999 Vs. Detroit - Defeating the Lions 27-13
    • 2005 @ Tampa Bay - Sean Taylor 51 Yard Fumble Recovery for a TD

I think Polian did a ***** job and that's why he was fired. But, I also wonder if Irsay hasn't hired a GM yet because he's decided to take the Jerry approach to managing from now-on.

Interesting that he's made this announcement without hiring, or possibly even interviewing, a GM or HC. I doubt many of them would have had a HUGE problem with it, but why not just hire one and let them make the announcement?

Anyway, I think we can now officially put all the "Colt's tanked it for Luck" rumors to rest, since everyone has been fired.

Word is he has interviewed a few and likes a guy that is high up the command chain on a CFL team.

Now, if the Patriots find another Tom Brady late in the draft, I'll be even more annoyed.

Cross your fingers that Mallett's character issues are everything they've been reported to be. I don't like the idea of him sitting under Brady and learning the system... at least as a Redskin's fan.

Or they agreed upon this plan, and to make it more believiable they go their seperate ways after they tank.

That makes no sense at all. A guy that has been as respected as Polian isn't going to agree to tank a season so that he can get the reward of being "fired".

Like I've said over and over this season, the Colts didn't need to "tank" to lose, they did that while trying because they STINK.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

Word is he has interviewed a few and likes a guy that is high up the command chain on a CFL team.

I can believe it, I just wonder why you would make that announcement now, instead of waiting for your GM to come in and make it sound like his decision instead of the owner going over his head. At this point, there is plenty of time for the Colts' owner to wait, hire his guy, then make the announcement.

I have a hard time believing that a SB team/regular playoff contender without its starting QB can freefall to the worst team in the NFL within a year.

I understand, but I have a hard time believing that you could get a group of people to agree on "tanking" an entire season and not one of them tweets about it or spouts off to the media when they get fired. (especially if players were involved)

...Again, I think it's real interesting that the Colts have no general manager and no head coach (pretty much), and yet "sources say" that Irsay---who is the owner and doesn't make football decisions, or at least he shouldn't----is going to draft Andrew Luck first overall.

Really really interesting.

Oh. Look at all these grains of salt I found...

Irsay's job is to make money. Look at the top-selling jerseys of the last fifteen years, and you'll see Manning right up there. Next one is Luck.

The GM and HC will just have to go with it. At least it's not Tebow.

As far as Im aware, Luck hasnt even declared for the draft yet. What if he doesnt enter the draft, and chooses his team, and walks on as an undrafted free agent? I bet he wouldnt lose a penny in money, and gets to play where he wants.

So Im not going to be getting all excited until after its all done in April. I dont think this rumor has much merit.

I have a hard time believing that a SB team/regular playoff contender without its starting QB can freefall to the worst team in the NFL within a year.
I can, the Colts defense was always suspect. They weren't bad, but they weren't that great either. Peyton Manning running the offense made the Colts competitive. Without it, the Colts look terrible on both sides of the ball. With that said, the Colts underestimated Peyton's injury and it cost them the season. No one knows what the future holds for Peyton Manning. Will he be the same player after recovering from injury? Grabbing Andrew Luck is a smart decision for the Colts.

...Again, I think it's real interesting that the Colts have no general manager and no head coach (pretty much), and yet "sources say" that Irsay---who is the owner and doesn't make football decisions, or at least he shouldn't----is going to draft Andrew Luck first overall.

Really really interesting.

Oh. Look at all these grains of salt I found...

If you don't believe an owner would be the decision maker on a move this big, especially a fairly hands-on owner like Irsay, then you're fooling yourself.

As far as Im aware, Luck hasnt even declared for the draft yet. What if he doesnt enter the draft, and chooses his team, and walks on as an undrafted free agent? I bet he wouldnt lose a penny in money, and gets to play where he wants.

So Im not going to be getting all excited until after its all done in April. I dont think this rumor has much merit.

Pretty sure you have to declare for the draft. Think about it, otherwise all the top prospects would just forgo the draft and sign with their team of choice.

That makes no sense at all. A guy that has been as respected as Polian isn't going to agree to tank a season so that he can get the reward of being "fired".

Like I've said over and over this season, the Colts didn't need to "tank" to lose, they did that while trying because they STINK.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

I can believe it, I just wonder why you would make that announcement now, instead of waiting for your GM to come in and make it sound like his decision instead of the owner going over his head. At this point, there is plenty of time for the Colts' owner to wait, hire his guy, then make the announcement.

I know it doesn't sound reasonable, but it's plausible.

I'm also sure we both don't know what goes on behind closed doors in a buiseness meeting. Polian get's payed millions of dollors and could have been payed more out the door.

I have a question for you too, would you pay your GM to help tank a season that could net you your franchise QB? I know I would in a heart beart.

I just find it weird that Andrew luck was looking like he was coming out last year, but decided to stay another year and lose maybe 85 million dollor due to rookie cap.

Now Luck is in the best possiable position to sit behind the best QB in the NFL. I just feel I'm not the only one who smells somthing fishy...

I know this is alot of tin foil hat on, but nevertheless it's a theory of mine that is plausible

I understand, but I have a hard time believing that you could get a group of people to agree on "tanking" an entire season and not one of them tweets about it or spouts off to the media when they get fired. (especially if players were involved)

Could it be only on the HC ?, for example calling the wrong formations, refusing to address the QB situation through FA (Orton), bad strategies such as this one ? When you keep on loosing week in week out, it is going to take a heavy toll on the players motivation like a snowball effect. Why Caldwell wasn't fired after this disastrous season ?

If players could do that, don't you think we would have seen it happen by now?:rolleyes:

Money is the motive!!!!!

Any possibilty that he just decided to stay at Stanford for his senior year? it may allow him to see the field sooner in the NFL rather then going to the Colts. He will have to sit 2-4 years behind Manning, where as he goes back to school, tries to win national championship, and then gets drafted next year and starts day one.

I've heard that it's very possible that Manning will go to Miami if the Colts drafted Luck. And if the Browns took Flynn in FA than we'd be all set to take Luck at 6. Probably still have to trade up though incase a team like Seattle tries to jump up.
LOL...There's NO chance we would get Luck at 6.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

Obviously, Irsay had a hard time understanding it, too. More than likely that's the reason he fired Polian.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

They didn't tank an entire season. That's crazy talk. There's no way in hell that could be pulled off. Too many people would have to know about it. Word of it would have definitely gotten out. Plus there's no way anyone can convince me that a 53 member team of professionals would ever agree to "tank" a season.

Plus, if they were tanking, you don't win 2 of your last 3 games (nearly won all 3).

If they say they want Luck; this just drives the price up for them as far as trading the round. They want everyone to think they want Luck (even if they do) and see what offers will be made to twist their arm. I would take a chance on Manning in a minute! I am not sure Luck would want the Colts with Manning getting cut; too much pressure!

Archived