Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

colts to take luck with #1 pick (espn ticker during duke bball game)

daveakl

What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?

• 1982 Vs Detroit - Alvin Garret 3 TD Catches
    • 1982 Vs Detroit - Jeris White 77 INT Return for a TD
    • 1986 Vs LA Rams - Darrell Green running down and Eric Dickerson
    • 1990 @ Philadelphia - Defeating the Eagles 20-6
    • 1992 @ Minnesota - Defeating the Vikings 24-7
    • 1999 Vs. Detroit - Defeating the Lions 27-13
    • 2005 @ Tampa Bay - Sean Taylor 51 Yard Fumble Recovery for a TD

Um, none of that has anything to do with what I asked.

If manning pushes the date back and gets traded he gets the 22 mil from the new team, if he is cut before its paid he has no assurance his next contract will be more then 22 guaranteed like his current deal is. (doing this by phone, sorry for brevity)

As some others stated. No way Manning should restructure so that the Colts can trade him. Why would Manning want to hurt his future team by foxing them to trade for hi pm when he can force the Colts to release instead.

Maybe a classy move for Manning but it's a stupid move in terms of winni g and losing games in football

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 07:28 PM ----------

If manning pushes the date back and gets traded he gets the 22 mil from the new team, if he is cut before its paid he has no assurance his next contract will be more then 22 guaranteed like his current deal is. (doing this by phone, sorry for brevity)

You think a team is willing to pay Manning the 22 million dollars and pick yet they would suddenly refuse to pay Him that money without giving up picks?

That sounds little illogical

You think a team is willing to pay Manning the 22 million dollars and pick yet they would suddenly refuse to pay Him that money without giving up picks?

That sounds little illogical

Not sure what you are saying here.

Sorry, went back and read that again. The Colts cannot trade him without them paying the bonus. If they push it back then they can trade him and put the new team on the hook for the bonus.

The roster bonus is due March 8th, the Colt's cannot trade him until March 12th (or 13th, can't remember which).

Option A: Keep the bones where it is and the colts could release him. There is no assurance that his new contract with his new team will have a 28 million dollar up front payment like he gets now.

Option B: Push the date back so that IF the Colts trade him his new team will pick up the bonus OR if the Colts do not trade him they will pick up the bonus.

Not sure what you are saying here.

Sorry, went back and read that again. The Colts cannot trade him without them paying the bonus. If they push it back then they can trade him and put the new team on the hook for the bonus.

The roster bonus is due March 8th, the Colt's cannot trade him until March 12th (or 13th, can't remember which).

Option A: Keep the bones where it is and the colts could release him. There is no assurance that his new contract with his new team will have a 28 million dollar up front payment like he gets now.

Option B: Push the date back so that IF the Colts trade him his new team will pick up the bonus OR if the Colts do not trade him they will pick up the bonus.

Don't get what you don't understand about it.

A team is either willing to pay that bonus or not. If they are, then they would do it if he's a FA. You're implying that he has to defer the bonus so that a team would trade for him and then pay it, but that they wouldn't pay him that much as a FA. If anything, the opposite makes more sense.

A team is either willing to pay that bonus or not. If they are, then they would do it if he's a FA. You're implying that he has to defer the bonus so that a team would trade for him and then pay it, but that they wouldn't pay him that much as a FA. If anything, the opposite makes more sense.

If he does not delay the bonus then no team other then the Colts can pay it. Thus, if the Colts want to trade him they have to be the ones to pay the bonus. If he delays it then if the Colts trade him the new team could be the one to pay the bonus.

sorry, like I said before, was trying to type on phone and not expressing what I was saying clearly.

also, to add: The rest of his contract is kick ass for him.

People have ****ed for years about how meddlesome Dan Snyder is, but Snyder has NEVER sent out tweets to the world discussing what will and won't happen with the team, undermining his coaches publicly as Irsay has several times the couple of seasons. Now, Irsay is making draft picks without having any football people in place? Seriously, if it wasn't for Manning, Irsay would be seen as an owner on par with Al Davis and Jerry Jones, yet even those two nut jobs were never vilified like Daniel Snyder. It is really disgusting.

Exactly! Why would a team pay Manning his bonus via trade but refuse to do that via FA?

Only way Manning defers the bonus is to give Colts little more time to make the decisions.

I've felt the Colts more or less tanked on purpose myself. I thought it was more passive than active though. Let's say as the top of the Colt's organization you start out the season with the possibilities of drafting Luck in the back of your mind like just about every other organization in the league. Add to that your "franchise QB" turns out to be a no go for the season. Ignoring that you start out the season with the best of intentions but the first few games of the season go poorly. Now those day dreams about segwaying into the next "qb of a generation" seem like they could be more than just a dream. Back room conversations mulling the possiblity begin to happen. Maybe you don't actively try to lose but then again losing doesn't seem so bad. Maybe the HC instead of laying into his team when they lose or trying to light a fire under his team when they lose he gives them a little pat on the back and gives them a "you did the best you could." Thus fostering a situation losing seems to be OK. After all we don't have our main guy it's not you guys( the rest of the players) fault.By now maybe the ownership is completely in love with getting Luck and it now seems tantilyzingly possible. Now let's imagine that as the season goes on Polian is the only main cog that doesn't get onboard. Maybe Polian does make some efforts to make moves because he still thinks the colts can be raised out of this morass and the ownership(Irsay) dreaming about drafting the "franchise" for the next 15 years has to step in and do what he can to quash any efforts to damage the teams chances to draft the prize. It definately feels plausible to me and I don't even think you need to go out ther and tell your guys to lose. I think it may be simply all about the environment you create.

If he does not delay the bonus then no team other then the Colts can pay it. Thus, if the Colts want to trade him they have to be the ones to pay the bonus. If he delays it then if the Colts trade him the new team could be the one to pay the bonus.

sorry, like I said before, was trying to type on phone and not expressing what I was saying clearly.

also, to add: The rest of his contract is kick ass for him.

You're just not getting it and I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

You're just not getting it and I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt

Re questions about Manning/Colts moving back 3/8 date for $28 million option, NFLPA tells me "it can't happen." Complicated language.

And P.S

As you and I have talked about, 99 percent of people are not getting it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can't, which is a seperate issue. I still don't see any reason why Manning would consider doing it.

Agree. Reading Colts message boards it appears they are the only fan base in the NFL that understands it. They expect to trade down still

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 07:15 PM ----------

One more thought. Couldn't the Colts just get this over with and start negotiating with and sign a contract with Luck today? Or on March 13th (first day of the new league year)

Agree. Reading Colts message boards it appears they are the only fan base in the NFL that understands it. They expect to trade down still

Which I believe is based on two problems that often come up with fans' opinions on team building which are in contrast to a team's best interest:

1. They want to win NOW even at the cost of much more long-term success.

2. They fall prey to ridiculously shallow logic like "Jamarcus Russell didn't work out, therefore there is a high probability Andrew Luck won't either".

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 07:14 PM ----------

One more thought. Couldn't the Colts just get this over with and start negotiating with and sign a contract with Luck today? Or on March 13th (first day of the new league year)

I don't know when they can start negotiating with him but it will obviously be way before the draft.

Reporting that they will take Luck with 1st pick in draft. Per ESPN ticker. (no link yet)

On pft now also (posting from phone so can't link)

Ownership decision, not gm or coaching.

End of manning in indy?

If I were Luck I would not be happy going to Indy. He will sit on the bench behind Payton for years. Not good for him or the NFL.

If I were Luck I would not be happy going to Indy. He will sit on the bench behind Payton for years. Not good for him or the NFL.

That and he'll be the guy AFTER Manning, and possibly always in his shadow.

This isn't the situation Steve Young had with the 49ers. The 49ers at least had a damn good team when Young took over

That and he'll be the guy AFTER Manning, and possibly always in his shadow.

This isn't the situation Steve Young had with the 49ers. The 49ers at least had a damn good team when Young took over

Irsay will hire vinny ceratto as the general manager of the colts. vinny will then give up the first pick to the redskins for the sixth pick, 2013 and 2014 first rounders. redskins pick andrew luck!!!! yaaaaay.

That would be too funny.... almost a fitting way to take the next step.

Exactly! Why would a team pay Manning his bonus via trade but refuse to do that via FA?

Only way Manning defers the bonus is to give Colts little more time to make the decisions.

sigh, one last time for me to try to explain the other side then I will just agree to disagree with you all that say he has no incentive to.

As his contract stands now he is 100% getting 28 million dollars on March 8th unless he is released. The Colts cannot trade him before then, thus they are 100% the team that will be paying it. Unless they release him. If they release him there is no 100% promise that his NEW contract will have a 28 million dollar bonus due at the time of signing in addition to the 7.4 million in 2012, 8.4 in 2013, 9.4 in 2014, and 10.4 in 2015. His 1 year total for 2012 will be 35.4 million. The current contract pays him 53.2 million over the next three years.

It is in his interest to push the date back to that IF the Colts decide trading him is the best option, any team that wants to obtain his rights MUST take him at the current contract and has no option not to unless they do not want him.

As a FA he is subject to taking the best offer out there and there is no assurance that it will be equal to or better then his current deal.

As to if the NFLPA says he can or cannot move the date, he 100% CAN. If the player and the team BOTH want to redo the contract they have the full right to.

Cross your fingers that Mallett's character issues are everything they've been reported to be. I don't like the idea of him sitting under Brady and learning the system... at least as a Redskin's fan.

True...I agree. If he's as much of a knucklehead as he's been reported to be, maybe he won't learn a thing. If he'd turn it around anywhere, maybe it would be in NE. Then again, Haynesworth didn't change.

Archived