Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

colts to take luck with #1 pick (espn ticker during duke bball game)

daveakl

What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What was your most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance?

• 1982 Vs Detroit - Alvin Garret 3 TD Catches
    • 1982 Vs Detroit - Jeris White 77 INT Return for a TD
    • 1986 Vs LA Rams - Darrell Green running down and Eric Dickerson
    • 1990 @ Philadelphia - Defeating the Eagles 20-6
    • 1992 @ Minnesota - Defeating the Vikings 24-7
    • 1999 Vs. Detroit - Defeating the Lions 27-13
    • 2005 @ Tampa Bay - Sean Taylor 51 Yard Fumble Recovery for a TD

I can believe it, I just wonder why you would make that announcement now, instead of waiting for your GM to come in and make it sound like his decision instead of the owner going over his head. At this point, there is plenty of time for the Colts' owner to wait, hire his guy, then make the announcement.

Supply and demand. It's very possible that Irsay is just driving the price up for the number 1 pick.

Irsay: "We really wanted to draft Luck, but ******* just made us an offer we couldn't refuse"

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

Latest News - Recent News - Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports both the Colts and Peyton Manning may be amenable to pushing back the March 8 deadline to exercise Manning's $28 million option bonus. Manning's bonus is due five days before player movement is allowed, meaning the way things are structured now the Colts would have to decide to release Manning or exercise his bonus before exploring his trade market. If Manning decides he wants out of Indy with Stanford QB Andrew Luck on his way in, agreeing to push back the date his bonus is due is a no-brainer. Jan 7 - 4:10 PM

Interesting that they know that without there being a general manager or head coach in place...

Agreed, this makes me and mad as hell :mad:. This is why I believe there need to be a minium amount of wins in order to get the #1 pick. I have never seen a team tank this badly in my years of watching football. 3 wins should be at least the min to get the #1pick. Teams with 1-2 wins in the day in age is ridiculous.

I know it doesn't sound reasonable, but it's plausible......I know this is alot of tin foil hat on, but nevertheless it's a theory of mine that is plausible

I'm willing to say "possible" not "plausible". Subtle difference, but one implies likelihood the other doesn't point one way or the other.

I just don't think it would happen. If Polian agreed to tank the season, why would the owner fire the GM that did everything he wanted? He'd still get Luck either way.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 05:54 PM ----------

Money is the motive!!!!!

If Polian agreed to money, why not disagree, get fired, and get another job instead of tarnishing your reputation with a 2-14 season? Nope, doesn't make any sense, IMO.

Could it be only on the HC ?, for example calling the wrong formations, refusing to address the QB situation through FA (Orton), bad strategies such as this one ? When you keep on loosing week in week out, it is going to take a heavy toll on the players motivation like a snowball effect. Why Caldwell wasn't fired after this disastrous season ?

Caldwell wasn't in charge of personnel moves, that was Polian, and that's well documented, but it's neither here nor there.

That is the only one I could see actually happening. I don't believe it, but it's more likely than some of the other crazy **** I've heard around here. One guy said the QB, GM, HC, Owner, offensive coaches and players were all involved. Sorry, but one of the key things about keeping a secret is controlling how many people have access to it, more than 2-3 people and you're asking for issues.

Caldwell kept his job after a 2 win season when NOTHING went right. That one is the only possible conspiracy to me, but there are still easier ways to explain it than that. Manning runs the offense, another coach (knowing Peyton's time is limited) may want to install his own OC and offense, and take the responsibility away from the QB. Maybe the Owner really believes that the QB will make or break the team and doesn't want to rock the boat by getting rid of Caldwell when Manning is a fan.

Or, maybe Irsay just has a long-term friendship / business history with Caldwell and wants to give him one more chance and doesn't think the lack of talent on the team was the HC's fault (and he'd be right).

Like I said, it's not that a conspiracy is impossible, it's just unlikely when there are lots of other reasons to explain what's happening.

Why did they bother to win the 2nd game, instead of putting their "secret" at risk? There's nothing "convenient" about a 14 loss season, IMO.

They had no danger of losing their pick until the Jags game. All week all they talk about is how the Colts could lose the pick to the Rams. Hey what do you know the Colts lose.

Any possibilty that he just decided to stay at Stanford for his senior year? it may allow him to see the field sooner in the NFL rather then going to the Colts. He will have to sit 2-4 years behind Manning, where as he goes back to school, tries to win national championship, and then gets drafted next year and starts day one.

You watch the Colts would tank the season again.

I totally still think they tanked. You basically secure the #1 pick and then you start winning? Oh and then they conveniently lose when to the Jags game would have meant them losing the #1 pick.

Why did they bother to win the 2nd game, instead of putting their "secret" at risk? There's nothing "convenient" about a 14 loss season, IMO.

They had no danger of losing their pick until the Jags game. All week all they talk about is how the Colts could lose the pick to the Rams. Hey what do you know the Colts lose.

The media and the Colts are not the same "they". The media talked all week about how the Colts could lose the #1 pick and the Colts lost the game. If the media were in on the "conspiracy" then we definitely would have heard something by now.

Can't imagine a bigger news story than an owner forcing his team to lose for a player.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

Latest News - Recent News - Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports both the Colts and Peyton Manning may be amenable to pushing back the March 8 deadline to exercise Manning's $28 million option bonus. Manning's bonus is due five days before player movement is allowed, meaning the way things are structured now the Colts would have to decide to release Manning or exercise his bonus before exploring his trade market. If Manning decides he wants out of Indy with Stanford QB Andrew Luck on his way in, agreeing to push back the date his bonus is due is a no-brainer. Jan 7 - 4:10 PM

Someone will have to explain to me why it's a "no brainer" for Manning to agree to re-do his contract so that the Colts can trade him, rather than becoming a FA.

Someone will have to explain to me why it's a "no brainer" for Manning to agree to re-do his contract so that the Colts can trade him, rather than becoming a FA.

Because the Colts really want Luck, barring a suicidal offer from another team. If that suicidal offer never comes, then they pick Luck and release Manning who doesn't want to play on a team as a place holder. Then, Indy gets their QB and Manning gets to go to the team he REALLY wants to play for, the Skins.:evilg:

EDIT:

And just so everyone knows. I neither think Manning wants to play for the Skins or think the Colts are planning on cutting him (unless he can't play anymore).

Um, none of that has anything to do with what I asked.

Yikes, I was kidding.:doh:

I was sarcastically saying Manning wants the Colts to release him to play for the Skins, so restructuring his contract makes it easier for them to cut him.

In real life, I agree it makes no sense at all.

Because the Colts really want Luck, barring a suicidal offer from another team. If that suicidal offer never comes, then they pick Luck and release Manning who doesn't want to play on a team as a place holder. Then, Indy gets their QB and Manning gets to go to the team he REALLY wants to play for, the Skins.:evilg:

EDIT:

And just so everyone knows. I neither think Manning wants to play for the Skins or think the Colts are planning on cutting him (unless he can't play anymore).

Um, none of that has anything to do with what I asked.

Just reported...Indy fans are in an uproar. They are saying they need to trade down, pick up draft picks and stockpile the OL and DL and LB. They want to build a team around an average QB but as long as they have a great OL and DL.

It's a lose-lose situation for their fans.

They release Manning and Luck struggles or they release Manning and Luck is okay, but Manning gets his next team in to the playoffs or Manning's bonus gets paid and Luck is drafted but Manning is hindered by lack of talent, people want Luck to start...blah, blah, blah

Yikes, I was kidding.:doh:

I was sarcastically saying Manning wants the Colts to release him to play for the Skins, so restructuring his contract makes it easier for them to cut him.

In real life, I agree it makes no sense at all.

I got that the end of your post was a joke. But I asked why Manning would agree to a restructure, and you answered with an explanation of why teh Colts will take Luck, and the comment about Manning wanting to be a Redskin.

Don't see how that merits me getting the doh: for wondering what that had to do with what I asked, but whatever.

Archived