Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins just a QB away from contending?...Some rival fans seem to think so.

The idea that we are just a QB from contending isn't all about 2012. I think most of us realize we are unlikely to win the superbowl in 2012. It's simply that yeah its not that hard to find offensive guards for example -- many if not most of the good ones are picked in the 3rd-5th rounds.

You can find this year some marquee stud Wrs in free agency. What on the other hand is very hard to find? A stud QB. You rarely find them in free agency, and you rarely find them in the later rounds of the draft. And it is by a mile the most important position to fill.

If you figure out the QB position, even if the rest of the roster isn't set, you are looking at a very IMO workable scenario. If you guys been reading about for example Jeff Fisher, and Gruden when he apparently toyed for awhile about getting back into coaching -- people around them said they want to go to a club that already has a franchise QB. And if Fisher picks the Rams as many say he will, its telling.

If you got the franchise QB, few would have angst about stuff like now how the heck am I going to find a couple of good O lineman? In converse, lets say you got a good O line, like we did about 5 or so years ago -- it doesn't work where its like we got the blockers, so now our team is ready for the franchise QB, so Bruce Allen go out and fetch us one. These guys don't grow on trees, if there is one within your sights, grab him.

The idea that we are just a QB from contending isn't all about 2012. I think most of us realize we are unlikely to win the superbowl in 2012. It's simply that yeah its not that hard to find offensive guards for example -- many if not most of the good ones are picked in the 3rd-5th rounds.

I don't know, I'm starting to think there's no such thing as actual ZBS guards, just out of positions and tackles.

I don't know, I'm starting to think there's no such thing as actual ZBS guards, just out of positions and tackles.

Ha, I hear you. Although, the line was functional and even successful running the ball on the left side with 7th rounder Hurt and undrafted W. Smith. So, I think Shanny can find himself an OG or RT in the third round or free agency. I assume Kory is coming back. The line seemed to be a disaster when Cook was playing and Locklear. J. Brown at best is inconsistent. They add a GOOD RT (as opposed to a serviceable one), and maybe a center (Montgomery wasn't bad though) they should be all right.

My point is lets say if you give a team 2 off seasons to fix an O line, IMO its not a daunting task. You tell a GM to fetch a franchise QB, now that's tough. This is far from an obscure point. If you guys been listenting to the talk about which coach lands where, its been said to death, the coveted jobs are the ones where teams ALREADY have a QB. Yeah teams like the Rams that have work to do. But you can even trade down and get a Jonathan Martin in the first round, a guard like Lucas Nix in the third round. And the odds of it working out are miles greater, then lets say drafting Kirk Cousins in the third round and he becomes a Cam Newton type.

Even the great Vinny Cerrato :D on the radio this year, more or less said this is a quarterback league, you have to find one if you don't, you will be like me out of a job, and doing radio talk show. Gibbs who many put out there as an example of a coach who can win with a good supporting cast and without a good QB, recently said on the radio, its all about I quote finding a "STUD QB" if you want to win now in the league. He didn't say a decent QB. But a stud.

I can think of about 3 games that Grossman personally futzed away just off the top of my head, so yes, we would be a very good team with a Pro Bowl caliber QB. Great QB's have a way of masking their teams weaknesses.

There's two sides to every story, you can point to games that Grossman messed up, but you also have to acknowledge the games in which Rex was a very large part of the win, ARZ comes to mind as does the NYG game.

The notion that QB's can make up for their teams weaknesses is drastically overrated on this website.

I'd love to take some time this week and go through all the back-up QB's over the past 5-6 years that have come in and player on a 10-6+ team, and see what their average QB stats would look like. I imagine players like Cassell, Flynn, and Kolb will have statistics comparable to the almighty franchise QB. In my opinion it will show just how much impact the support system really has on a QB.

Sometimes I think fans from other sites post their comments knowing that someone from ES are going to repost them here. As Redskins fans, we have to get out of that mentality. We are not one player away from contending for anything right now. We don't even know if we have a good coordinator until we draft a QB.

I'm in the camp of getting Griffin 3 much more than getting Flynn but QB is not our only huge hole. Griffin could do major damage playing for us but it's not fair to put all this expectation on one player.

:helmet:

LOL, hard to tell whether they're being "honest" in our favor or just hating their own team so much they elevate the Skins. Really be interested to see what Gill can do with us, but also love to see how strong a team another good multiple-pick-via-trade-down draft could get us.

Sometimes I think fans from other sites post their comments knowing that someone from ES are going to repost them here. As Redskins fans, we have to get out of that mentality.

Stupid conspiracy theory, sorry. That would only make sense at ALL if somehow, we as Skins fans had an effect on any of this. Then, opposing teams fans planting these comments to make us feel better about it MIGHT have some purpose.

The reality is that some opposing fans actually think this. Just like some Skins fans do. Its natural. No need to be suspicious of it.

I rather try to get Luck because he stays in the pocket and won't be as likely to get hurt. I think that QB's that run more often are the QB's that miss parts of the season Injured. (Vick) Only a very smart QB who knows to get down will be fully successful. IMO

maybe but RGIII is clearly a pass first guy... he only ran this past season when all other options were gone. Plus, Colts are taking Luck unless of course they get overwelmed by a ridiculous offer. RGIII would be a great addition in my book

I'd love to take some time this week and go through all the back-up QB's over the past 5-6 years that have come in and player on a 10-6+ team, and see what their average QB stats would look like. I imagine players like Cassell, Flynn, and Kolb will have statistics comparable to the almighty franchise QB. In my opinion it will show just how much impact the support system really has on a QB.

Maybe so, but why does it have to be one or the other? That's my point. You can do both. And I think there is a limit to how far you can go with guys like Cassell. The Colts were a train wreck even with guys like Reggie Wayne playing Wr without Peyton. No question you need a supporting cast, but IMO no question you likely need a top Qb too if the goal is to win a super bowl in today's NFL. I agree that you can be competitive with a Kevin Kolb type, and its not as if Kolb didn't have some stud play makers like Larry Fitzgerald, but I doubt Kolb is the guy that will for example outgun Brees or Rogers in a championship game and help the Cards to the Superbowl. but if the goal is to sneak into the playoffs here and there, I think you can do it with a so so QB and good supporting cast. But I am hoping for more.

Sure, but don't act like QB is the only weakness on this team

The defense is poor and the offense other than the RB needs desperate help

*headdesk*

How is our defense poor!? We ranked 13th over and were in the top half of the league in every category but turnovers!

Sometimes I think fans from other sites post their comments knowing that someone from ES are going to repost them here. As Redskins fans, we have to get out of that mentality. We are not one player away from contending for anything right now. We don't even know if we have a good coordinator until we draft a QB.

I'm in the camp of getting Griffin 3 much more than getting Flynn but QB is not our only huge hole. Griffin could do major damage playing for us but it's not fair to put all this expectation on one player.

:helmet:

With a 'good' QB we would have been fighting for the division title without a doubt. Grossman and Beck can easily be blamed for 5-6 losses on their own this season.

So that would be contending for something.

No one is saying that we're a QB away from winning a SB but we are a QB away from contending for the division.

Stepping stones.

---------- Post added January-8th-2012 at 05:33 PM ----------

Playoff teams with a worse D than us

Green Bay

New Orleans

New England

Detroit

NY Giants

Denver

Now look at their QB's. 4 SB winners, 1 5000 yard passer, and 1 useless douche bag who probably can't spell QB.

This shows us that a quality QB plus our currently very good defense would be a recipe for some success.

With a 'good' QB we would have been fighting for the division title without a doubt. Grossman and Beck can easily be blamed for 5-6 losses on their own this season.

So that would be contending for something.

No one is saying that we're a QB away from winning a SB but we are a QB away from contending for the division.

Stepping stones.

---------- Post added January-8th-2012 at 05:33 PM ----------

Now look at their QB's. 4 SB winners, 1 5000 yard passer, and 1 useless douche bag who probably can't spell QB.

This shows us that a quality QB plus our currently very good defense would be a recipe for some success.

Why the need to disparage a good kid that does nothing to harm anyone?If he is not a good QB he certainly is a good person. He has probably accomplished more in his short time than most will in a lifetime.Quit with the hate !

Playoff teams with a worse D than us

Green Bay

New Orleans

New England

Detroit

NY Giants

Denver

Five of those six teams have high powered offenses and 2 out of the six have a respectable defense. The Giants and Denver D can be considered better than the Skins even though the obscured stats might state other wise. I am not into the yards nonsense as the major factor in determining defenses. Turnovers, third down conversions, and sacks should be weighted more into the equation. The Skins failed primarily in turnovers and third down conversions.

Five of those six teams have high powered offenses and 2 out of the six have a respectable defense. The Giants and Denver D can be considered better than the Skins even though the obscured stats might state other wise. I am not into the yards nonsense as the major factor in determining defenses. Turnovers, third down conversions, and sacks should be weighted more into the equation. The Skins failed primarily in turnovers and third down conversions.

My post was a repsonse to the notion that our defense was "poor". You think our defense is "poor" ?

Stepping stones

Very true, we are not a QB away from contending, but it all starts with a franchise QB. Get one now, and continue to draft and bring in quality FA's. Which means, we start contending in year two/three and beyond. Just look at Detroit this year. They got their QB, continued to draft and bring in players, and they made the playoffs. If they continue, they should be even better next year.

My post was a repsonse to the notion that our defense was "poor". You think our defense is "poor" ?

I do not think the defense is poor as compared to last year but I think our defense is just average. It is not a Super Bowl contending defense by far. This is why I am hoping that both sides of the ball are addressed instead of primarily the offense. Do not get me wrong the offense needs help more than the defense but that defense has made me shake my head at times this year.

I do not think the defense is poor as compared to last year but I think our defense is just average. It is not a Super Bowl contending defense by far. This is why I am hoping that both sides of the ball are addressed instead of primarily the offense. Do not get me wrong the offense needs help more than the defense but that defense has made me shake my head at times this year.

Well, yeah. I agree that the defense has plenty of room for improvement, but I don't think that we're so bad on that side that we couldn't contend for the division title with a good QB. I mean, we did sweep the Giants with Grossman. At 6 we should definitely look to grab our guy from there.

Archived