Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Alternative to a QB in the 1st Round

Mania

wait till the next draft and depending on their draft position (which i think will be top 5) they will either go with Bray or Trade up for Barkley. Since you know Pete recruited Barkley so he knows how the kid works.

I hate waiting for a particular player. It's not like we're gonna be the only team with QB issues come next year. If we'll trade up for Barkley next year, why not trade up for RG3 this year?

I hate waiting for a particular player. It's not like we're gonna be the only team with QB issues come next year. If we'll trade up for Barkley next year, why not trade up for RG3 this year?

you do know i was talking about Seattle waiting? right?

...while we continue to look for a Tony Romo sits to pee , a Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

I know I'm a homer & all, but Romo sits to pee couldn't hold up Brees or Brady's jock strap & doesn't remotely deserve to be in the same sentence as those two...

EDIT: RIF beat me to it

Considering Tony Romo sits to pee is THE ONLY REASON Dallas has a chance to go to the playoffs and the FACT that beyond Tony Romo sits to pee, they are pretty much worse than us if they didn't have Tony, I think a Tony Romo sits to pee (UDFA that turns out to be pretty good) is a very good thing.

Eh, that's debatable, but I won't hijack the thread any further. I just hope we find our Brees & Brady instead of a Romo sits to pee.

Hail.

I have a suggestion that could be a decent alternative. Trade back into the ladder part of the first round and acquire more picks or use it on a top tier player other than QB and in the 2nd or 3rd round pick Brandon Weedon. The only reason he isn't in the conversation as the top 3 QBs coming out of this years draft is his age. Next October he turns 29, because he played minor league baseball for 5 years coming out of highschool. Weedon could still be with the Skins for 10 years and he is much more mature than any qb coming out in the 2012 draft.

Thoughts

I don't think drafting Weeden is the answer, the front office shouldn't have to start looking for a new QB 3 or 4 years after drafting the "QB of the present." I hope Landry Jones isn't drafted either, I've seen enough of that guy. RG III is the guy to go after and if trading next years 1st round pick to get him is the price, then pay it.

This team has so many holes to fill. QB, WR, CB,OL. I don't even know if we should use our first pick on a QB. Maybe trade back for more picks? I agree with this guy Dave Mckenna who just wrote a recent article on the woes of our roster:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/12/20/the-worst-redskins-roster-since-the-replacements/

While this seems like an ideal scenario if RG3 stays in school, don't forget that when you trade down, you risk losing the chance to get a player you may want. Tannehill's stock will probably be higher if RG3 stays in school. A team may take him with a much higher pick than expected.

His stock is already much higher with Barkley returning. It might drop a little again if Landry comes out, but he probably goes back too.

If RGIII doesn't declare, then the latest someone can safely guarantee themselves Tannehill is probably 10. We'll probably be in the 5-8 area, so we might be able to trade back and still get him, but I doubt it. If RGIII comes out, well, first we should make a play for him, but if we don't get RGIII we can probably be around 14-15, though still, safest place is around 12.

Sorry. Cannot see any real alternative to not getting a QB in this year's first round. Shanny has to make that happen and he knows it IMO. Its definitely worth the extra picks in the long term.

I doubt very seriously that anybody outside of fans and media think we absolutely have to take a QB in round 1. What if our coaches feel there's no one worth taking like last year?

Let's face it, if Colts get Luck and RGiii doesn't declare, there's a slew of developmental QB's to choose from and not first round worthy.

I would not be surprised if we picked up a vet QB in FA not named Rex or Manning, just so we could draft a second tier QB but doubt that guy is Weeden as suggested by OP.

I would be pretty pissed if the Skins did NOT draft a QB with their 1st pick. This is the most glaring need on the team and I'm sick of it being ignored. You can't win with mediocre talent at that position unless you have all the other pieces already in place and even then that's debatable. The Skins do NOT have all the other pieces in place. Not even close. They have needs on defense as well as offensive line. They don't have any game changers on either side of the ball. The closest thing to that is Banks. Get a damn QB. I don't care which one because I trust them to figure it out. Personally, I like RGIII but what the hell do I know.

This team has so many holes to fill. QB, WR, CB,OL. I don't even know if we should use our first pick on a QB. Maybe trade back for more picks? I agree with this guy Dave Mckenna who just wrote a recent article on the woes of our roster:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/12/20/the-worst-redskins-roster-since-the-replacements/

Nice that he doesn't even mention the drafting Shanahan has done since getting here nor that most of the moves he has made have been very good. Dave McKenna is a horrible writer that isn't looking at the entire picture. All he wants to do is bash Dan Snyder.....even when he has nothing to do with the moves at hand.

Nice that he doesn't even mention the drafting Shanahan has done since getting here nor that most of the moves he has made have been very good. Dave McKenna is a horrible writer that isn't looking at the entire picture. All he wants to do is bash Dan Snyder.....even when he has nothing to do with the moves at hand.

Not true. I think the guy makes some good arguments and doesn't view everything from "rose colored glasses" as some do. Look at how many moves/draft picks the skins have made that haven't panned out.

I like Weeden. Some people are so foolish. taking him in round 4 would be such a steal. Especially if he is good. oh no what he can only be in the league for 10 years? What a dumb argument. I think he is a better version of Andy Dalton. Also I wonder what some of you would have said if we were the ones who brought steve young in when he was 30 and hadn't done ****?

Just saying, it would be wise to trade back in the 1st, pick up a 2nd and a 4th, trade 2 4ths for another 3rd. Get O-line NT, Weeden and some weapons for him.

I mean think about it, i do this in too many threads but to put that scenario into play

Round 1: Alshon Jefferey WR

Round 2: Mike Adams OT

Round 2: Poe or Ta'amu NTs

Round 3: LaMichael James RB

Round 3: Michael Brewster C

Round 4: Brandon Weeden QB

Pick up Finnegan and a Guard in FA, Resign Landry, Carricker, Davis, Fletcher

QB: Weeden/Grossman

RBs: Hightower/Helu/Royster/James (James basically takes Banks spot on the team, but he can actually do a lot more on offense)

WRs: Jeffery/Hankerson/Gaffney/Moss/Paul/Stallworth

TEs: Cooley/Davis/Pauleson

OTs: Brown/Adams/Williams/Smith

OGs: FA/Lighty/Chester/Hurt

Cs: Brewster/Montgomery

DEs: Jenkins/Carricker/Bowen/Coffield (Inside and outside)

NTs: Poe or Ta'amu/Nield/Coffield (again moving around)

OLBS: Kerrigan/Orakpo

ILBs: Riley/Fletcher

CBs: Finnegan/Wilson/Hall (or cut him)/Barnes

Ss: Landry/Atogwe/Doughty/Gomes

Worse thing that happens is Weeden isn't too good becomes a backup, and we have a very good team outside of that and can trade our 2013 draft for a QB we want (who also isn't guaranteed to be good in the league)

if we trade down i would key word.. "I" would go for tannerhill. we would still add pieces of the puzzle on d and oline. depends whose available of course but go for bpa.

players like poe, hightower would add to our young d and i could see them both in the 2nd rounder. idc to be honest. whomever shanahan feels is the solution at qb ill be happy; however, keep in mind next year is gonna be one hell of a hard season so.. regardless who the qb is next year its gonna be tough!

Not true. I think the guy makes some good arguments and doesn't view everything from "rose colored glasses" as some do. Look at how many moves/draft picks the skins have made that haven't panned out.

Maybe Dave McKenna doesn't view everything from B&G colored glasses, but he's missing the point. We have a very young roster and are REBUILDING with draft picks and players that fit the roster. These players don't have to be big name players as that was the last administrations mojo.

This past draft class, Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu, Paul, Royster among others was a standout draft class. It may be too early to give it a final grade, but the only players that got mentioned were Helu & Royster. When you find 4 or 5 starters in any draft class it has been a smashing success. Something that hasn't happened in Redskins land since the 80s when Beathard was here. Also, acquiring Carriker the way we did was pure genious. Gaffney has 919 yards, who cares if he is 31. He has a small contract, runs good routes and gets the job done and so does Moss for that matter. Would Mckenna rather have a named players such as Ocho Cinco who didn't do anthing in Patriots this season, even with Brady at QB. Lets also not forget that the player we traded was going to be cut and didn't make the Broncos roster. Also the same goes for hightower for a player that would have been cut and a conditional 6th round pick. Shanahan & Allen are getting the job done and the reason it doesn't show in the win total is because of the lack of a true starting caliber QB. Get that solved and we should be a contender. Shanahan is also getting good depth players that can come in and start if needed such as Hurt, Polumbus, Smith with 7th round picks and as undrafted free agents. Also Neild the 2nd to last pick in the draft was a very good rotational player with Cofield this season. We are also starting to get good FA that FIT THE SYSTEM. If he's going to speak bad about the roster, he needs to talk about everything to make it fair and that is why I don't think he is being fair.

Lets not forget last years draft class that included Trent Williams who was starting to become dominant. As long as he can stay off the weed, he is going to be here for a while. Also with the 4th rounder we chose Perry Riley who is playing very well once he replaced McIntosh in the starting lineup.

I hear you that he isn't looking at the Roster with Rose Colored Glasses, but he is covering both eyes when he doesn't see the young talent on the roster peppered in with an excellent free agent class from 2011.

I would be pretty pissed if the Skins did NOT draft a QB with their 1st pick. This is the most glaring need on the team and I'm sick of it being ignored. You can't win with mediocre talent at that position unless you have all the other pieces already in place and even then that's debatable. The Skins do NOT have all the other pieces in place. Not even close. They have needs on defense as well as offensive line. They don't have any game changers on either side of the ball. The closest thing to that is Banks. Get a damn QB. I don't care which one because I trust them to figure it out. Personally, I like RGIII but what the hell do I know.

Read more of the thread, man. RGIII may not declare and Barkeley has already stated he's going back to USC. That would leave Luck and not a whole hell of a lot. There will be qbs that will shoot up draft boards because of the lack of talent at the qb position and other teams will reach. If we don't draft Luck then we should find one via trade or free agency because it is obvious that is the most glaring weakness; but that does not mean we reach blindly for a guy who we hope will pan out because we need that position. That's the old way of doing things.

If we can't get Luck or RG3 trade back, even if it's to stockpile picks for next season, and fortify the oline. RT is needed but I suspect our interior lineman are more "best available option" then they are good enough to keep their jobs. I think all three could be upgraded (not they all will be though). We also need a middle linebacker because London isn't going to last forever, a corner, a safety, and a wide receiver. I'd prefer to deal with the wideout via free agency personally.

I like this idea. I hate the idea of mortgaging the farm to get luck or reaching for a QB no matter how much we need one. You look at the 49ers this year and they have been in a similar situation as far as QB need but stayed the course, drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round and continued to address needs. They didn't make any huge splashes but got a solid pickup in Carlos Rogers. They have depth and it shows. The Redskins need to continue filling holes and not get desperate for a savior at QB.

Everyone on the Weedon band wagon needs to go see how the Chris Weinke movie ended....

Peter Warrick = Justin Blackmon

The only thing missing is a National Championship Ring and a few Dillard's Scandals...

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 09:19 PM ----------

Haha well that's gonna be us.

It wouldn't shock me... I would've bet a paycheck earlier (before Barkley decided to stay and now it looks like RG3 and Jones are back to school) that Tannehill wouldn't go in the top 15...

But after last year... I am pretty sure that Shanny wanted Locker...wasn't there...traded back because 10 was too early for Ponder....he was taken 12th, we took Kerrigan with the thought of getting Dalton or Kaepernick in the second round...well, the waiting game didn't work out too well for us there either.

Mark my words, unless we pull of some very impressive ****, we'll either be trading up for Luck or reaching for a quarterback....

I like this idea. I hate the idea of mortgaging the farm to get luck or reaching for a QB no matter how much we need one. You look at the 49ers this year and they have been in a similar situation as far as QB need but stayed the course, drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round and continued to address needs. They didn't make any huge splashes but got a solid pickup in Carlos Rogers. They have depth and it shows. The Redskins need to continue filling holes and not get desperate for a savior at QB.

Smartest thing I've read on this board concerning this "franchise" qb debate.

They built a monster defense, with a great running game, and have an "average" qb who was one season away from the scrap heap.

Now look at them, 12-3 with Alex friggin Smith at qb.

People here get too wrapped up in their desperation for a "franchise" qb.. there's no such thing as a sure thing, and no sense in throwing away 2 drafts' worth of picks for one player.

Keep building the team, if an opportunity for a good qb presents itself without having to mortgage the farm, take it.

But do NOT reach for a "savior"

They built a monster defense, with a great running game, and have an "average" qb who was one season away from the scrap heap.

People here get too wrapped up in their desperation for a "franchise" qb.. there's no such thing as a sure thing, and no sense in throwing away 2 drafts' worth of picks for one player.

Keep building the team, if an opportunity for a good qb presents itself without having to mortgage the farm, take it.

100% agree with your last statement marty, spot on.

On the thread topic though, if we don't take a QB with the first pick i'm kinda leaning toward a stud CB to stabilize the secondary...like Claiborne or Kirkpatrick.

Alex has done OK, but he's limited and his deficiencies will show themselves in the playoffs. They won't win anything with him at QB. Brees, Rodgers, Ben or Brady will take home the trophy. The lesser QB's will all be sent home again. Ryan, Flacco, Smith. Look at the Jets with Sanchez. Top running game, suffocating defense but mediocre QB play. Had they had a better QB, they probably would have taken it all in back to back seasons.

If you get a chance to grab a great QB prospect you have to grab him. The other spots are easier to fill.

Archived