Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Alternative to a QB in the 1st Round

Mania

Mod's please merge this thread to wherever it needs to go.

As much as I would like to get a top tier QB in the 2012 draft at the top of the 1st round w/o giving up any future draft picks, I don't think that is going to happen.

I have a suggestion that could be a decent alternative. Trade back into the ladder part of the first round and acquire more picks or use it on a top tier player other than QB and in the 2nd or 3rd round pick Brandon Weedon. The only reason he isn't in the conversation as the top 3 QBs coming out of this years draft is his age. Next October he turns 29, because he played minor league baseball for 5 years coming out of highschool. Weedon could still be with the Skins for 10 years and he is much more mature than any qb coming out in the 2012 draft.

Thoughts

It may be better than what we had at QB coming into this year... but that's not saying much. The only reason I'm not thrilled about the idea is because rookie QBs need time to adjust to the pro level. By that time how old will he be?

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

Talk about a decision you regret... 5 years in the minors.

My personal opinion is RT shoots up the boards and ends up being drafted top 10 by whichever team misses out on Luck/RG3

highest i can see him is around 14 to the seahawks, but i wouldn't be surprised if Pete waits and trades for Barkley.

I dunno...Kirk's got that "Rex Grossman" quality to him...

Well, I suspect that if we can't get the QB we want, I suspect that given that it seems we run well that our next best alternative might be trade down, try to build a shutdown defense and figure our how to eliminate all the cheap points we gave away this year via turnovers. Boring and little room for error I know but that may be the only route we can take to be playoff contenders in the next couple of years while we continue to look for a Tony Romo sits to pee, a Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 11:53 AM ----------

I dunno...Kirk's got that "Rex Grossman" quality to him...

Well, I suspect that if we can't get the QB we want, I suspect that given that it seems we run well that our next best alternative might be trade down, try to build a shutdown defense and figure our how to eliminate all the cheap points we gave away this year via turnovers. Boring and little room for error I know but that may be the only route we can take to be playoff contenders in the next couple of years while we continue to look for a Tony Romo sits to pee, a Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

How do you trade for Barkley if he is not in the draft?

wait till the next draft and depending on their draft position (which i think will be top 5) they will either go with Bray or Trade up for Barkley. Since you know Pete recruited Barkley so he knows how the kid works.

Modest trade down and taking Tannehill while netting more picks is IMO the best case scenario.
If Shanny correctly judges Tannehill to be the QB he's been waiting for, this would be a dream scenario. Would love to see a repeat of our last draft PLUS get our franchise QB, even if he's not ready to start on Day One.

If Shanny correctly judges Tannehill to be the QB he's been waiting for, this would be a dream scenario. Would love to see a repeat of our last draft PLUS get our franchise QB, even if he's not ready to start on Day One.

Seems so HG unless he shoots up teams boards with a strong combine, interview, etc...

I suppose we re-sign Rex to another one-year deal or perhaps two. Not sure what they do with him, but think he will be back. Not many options. I don't want Beck on the roster at all.

why not just trade down twice to around 23 and take Tannehill?

While this seems like an ideal scenario if RG3 stays in school, don't forget that when you trade down, you risk losing the chance to get a player you may want. Tannehill's stock will probably be higher if RG3 stays in school. A team may take him with a much higher pick than expected.

what about trading our first this year for a teams first next year and maybe 3rd... Obviously there is going to be QB's next year to. This is only option if RG3 stays. Other than that BPA in my opinion. We can pretty much use upgrade at every position except RB/WR.

Er, please don't look for a "Tony Romo sits to pee."

Considering Tony Romo sits to pee is THE ONLY REASON Dallas has a chance to go to the playoffs and the FACT that beyond Tony Romo sits to pee, they are pretty much worse than us if they didn't have Tony, I think a Tony Romo sits to pee (UDFA that turns out to be pretty good) is a very good thing.

Archived