Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

The only win is no shooting and NK stays behind it's fence and continues to yell and act like dicks forever more.

That's about it.

Once they have a deliverable nuke, i doubt they will be content to not end the war they're still involved in with the South.

~Bang

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Everyone wants a diplomatic solution, everyone sane anyway, but at the same time we know that diplomacy has not worked with North Korea for decades.  Realisticly we're hoping for a resolution we know won't work before anyone even sits down at the table.  So what does a win in this crisis look like?  Short and long term. 

Short term?  Saves lives.  Long term:  I don't believe NK would do the first strike, people keep saying they aren't suicidal.  Their nuclear ambitions are about self-preservation.  I wonder what would happen if we don't first strike either.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Short term?  Saves lives.  Long term:  I don't believe NK would do the first strike, people keep saying they aren't suicidal.  Their nuclear ambitions are about self-preservation.  I wonder what would happen if we don't first strike either.

let me clarify, people are calling for negotiations now.  Diplomatic solutions.  But what are we negotiating if not disarmament?  Negotiating is essentially making a deal, ideally both sides get something, but what exactly does NK have to give us other then disarmament (which they won't).  So is a win here giving them something in exchange for them no longer menacing us with nuclear weapons?  Thats essentially getting robbed.  "I won't shoot you if you give me what I want."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nothing will happen.  And people will eventually forget about it and go back to drooling over whatever the next Trump fiasco is.  

We don't have long attention spans. 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

let me clarify, people are calling for negotiations now.  Diplomatic solutions.  But what are we negotiating if not disarmament?  Negotiating is essentially making a deal, ideally both sides get something, but what exactly does NK have to give us other then disarmament (which they won't).  So is a win here giving them something in exchange for them no longer menacing us with nuclear weapons?  Thats essentially getting robbed.  "I won't shoot you if you give me what I want."

At which point Trump will once again claim to be the world's best negotiator (thanks to his penchant for irony). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

At which point Trump will once again claim to be the world's best negotiator (thanks to his penchant for irony). 

And as soon as the check clears (sanctions are lifted) they'll fire a missile over Japan.  NK is a nuclear honey badger.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

Official end to the Korean War would be a good start.  I agree, they won't give up their weapons, they want them for a deterrent.

It's not like we're letting them take territory, but its different now if they really can hit Guam or Alaska, eventually California.  Was just watching Newshour, guy was explaining how NK has been talking **** for decades, that's just how they roll.  I just wonder what NK's endgame is, like are they willing to exchange incremental lifting of sanctions in exchange for social and economic reforms.  I worry, too, about backing down, will they help other nations get nukes?  Terrorists?  

What about when they can reach the east coast?  That should be a poll, should we first strike?

Edited by Renegade7

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I just wonder what NK's endgame is, like are they willing to exchange incremental lifting of sanctions in exchange for social and economic reforms.  I worry, too, about backing down, will they help other nations get nukes?  Terrorists?  

What about when they can reach the east coast?  That should be a poll, should we first strike?

NK's endgame, meaning Kim Jong Un's endgame, is to stay in power.  He lives really well, he wants to keep that.  He saw Gaddafi give up his weapons and promptly get killed in the streets.  He saw what happened to Saddam.  Having nukes pretty much guarantees his untouchability like nothing else does.  

And no, we should not strike first.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's not like we're letting them take territory, but its different now if they really can hit Guam or Alaska, eventually California.  Was just watching Newshour, guy was explaining how NK has been talking **** for decades, that's just how they roll. 

A homeless guy standing across the street talking ****, known for always talking ****, might be considered a quirky reality in some neighborhoods.  A kind of funny story.  If that same guy pulls a gun one day and starts pointing it at you, the fact that he always talked **** before and never did anything is little comfort.  That's essentially the situation we find ourselves in with NK. 

As for his endgame.  I think his end game is to scare the US out of SK so that they can invade and conquer the south. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

A homeless guy standing across the street talking ****, known for always talking ****, might be considered a quirky reality in some neighborhoods.  A kind of funny story.  If that same guy pulls a gun one day and starts pointing it at you, the fact that he always talked **** before and never done anything is little comfort.  That's essentially the situation we find ourselves in with NK. 

As for his endgame.  I think his end game is to scare the US out of SK so that they can invade and conquer the south. 

You think NK believes they can beat South Korea and avoid US involvement? I agree with PB that at minimum he's trying to stay in power, but I feel you in Kim trying some way to gain influence or outright control of SK.  That'll be next after achieving MAD with the US.

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I wish I could be certain that NRATV is just trolling, well, somebody.  

"as we fight them with a clenched fist of truth"

:rofl89:

That really did sound like a spoof of the media you'd find in a video game or a movie about alien bugs that drop a meteor on Buenos Aires.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/895354093429968896

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

That really did sound like a spoof of the media you'd find in a video game or a movie about alien bugs that drop a meteor on Buenos Aires.

Hey man you joke but just wait until Trump "uncitizencizes" everyone and says that "Service guarantees citizenship."

• Like 1

The last thing we need are two raging lunatics with horrible hair, and their hands on a big red button, throwing insults and jabs at one another in some form of military dick measuring contest. 

Can we all agree that both their dicks are small and just move on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I'm hearing "The big blue bug of justice".  

(And I never even watched that show.  It just sounds like "this has to be intentional overacting.  Right?")  

1. I'm not sure why anyone would assume some air strikes would settle the issue or stop the program.

2. Evacuation seems like a nice idea, but we're talking about millions of people in densely packed cities who will be either reluctant to abandon everything they own or possibly in a panic and I feel like this would tip North Korea off and they might decide to attack first.  Of course without evacuation we are talking about potentially millions of deaths.

Edited by visionary