Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

Not a whole lot of activity in the nuclear war thread I see. Strange. Seems like that would be kind of a hot topic.

Anywho... with North Korea continuing to antagonize us, I worry that the media will point out Trump's bull**** threat and then he'll order some sort of military strike just to spite Morning Joe.

Well, now, I have to admit that when I read about things like this, then my first reaction is a fantasy along the lines of Japan "testing" 1,000 missiles over NK airspace. Preferably ones that are visible to every person on the ground. 

I've also had this fantasy of NK launching a missile, and it gets shot down, 30 seconds into it's flight. 

And then my Vulcan half steps forward and thinks of all kinds of rational reasons why those would be stupid ideas. 

• 1 month later...

North Korea's 'Hotel of Doom' shows signs of activity

Recent satellite images suggest that construction has restarted on North Korea’s ominous "Hotel of Doom."

The new images of the 105-story Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang depict construction trucks surrounding the pyramid-like building as well as several other buildings, the Daily Mail reported.

694940094001_5616206419001_5616201367001

Tourist photos have also recently surfaced showing cranes around the hotel.

The "Hotel of Doom," as it was nicknamed, has cost approximately 470 million euros ($552 million) to date but has yet to host a single guest, the Independent reported.

The 105-story skyscraper was finally unveiled this summer after being under construction for nearly 30 years, although its doors still remain closed.

The project began in 1987 under the reign of Kim Il Sung, North Korea’s founder and “eternal president.” However, the 1990s famine and an economic crash in 1992 forced the project to shut down due to a lack of funds.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korean-nuclear-test-site-tunnel-collapse-reportedly-kills-200-2017-10

A tunnel collapsed at a North Korean nuclear test site, reportedly killing 200 people

After North Korea's most powerful ever nuclear test underground at Punggye-ri in the country's northeast, Japan's TV Asahi reports that up to 200 have been killed in a tunnel collapse

In early September, North Korea detonated a nuclear device under a mountain that experts assess to have been a hydrogen bomb about ten times more powerful than the first atomic bombs dropped on Japan at the close of World War II.

Since then, satellite imagery has revealed that the mountain above the test site has since suffered a series of landslides, and seismic aftershocks, thought to have resulted from the blast.

<more at link>

• 1 month later...

Kim Jong Un expands his war on Christmas with new ban on singing and drinking

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has upped the ante in his war on Christmas with a new rule that prohibits any "gatherings that involve alcohol and singing."

South Korea’s National Intelligence Service reported the details of the latest ban, which is designed to control the spread of information coming from outside of official channels and contain potential dissent that may arise from recent tightening of sanctions against the secluded Asian country.

Experts estimate those prohibition will severely impact the North Korean economy in the coming months, and by March the nation’s people will find themselves in dire circumstances. 

• 2 months later...

US Hits North Korea with Sanctions for Murder of Kim's Half-Brother

The U.S. imposed fresh sanctions on North Korea Tuesday, a response to the regime’s 2017 assassination of Kim Jong Un’s half-brother in Malaysia using a banned chemical weapon.

The announcement from Washington came hours after South Korea announced a potentially historic breakthrough in talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un over denuclearization.

Kim Jong Nam was murdered waiting to board a flight at Kuala Lumpur airport by two women who covered his face with VX, a nerve agent designated a weapon of mass destruction by the United Nations.

Malaysian authorities have accused Pyongyang of orchestrating the attack, a charge the North has denied.

Yet the timing of Wednesday’s announcement appears odd. The State Department said it concluded on Feb. 22 that North Korea was responsible for the attack, yet the announcement came only hours after South Korea revealed Kim Jong Un was open to talks with the U.S. about relinquishing its nuclear arsenal.