Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Snider: Rex not end of world in 2012

Houston2Taylor2Landry

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/12/rick-snider-rex-not-end-world-2012/1997391

This is a very interesting article written by Rick Snider.

To sum up what he says, it may be better to draft someone like Mo Claiborne or Justin Blackmon, rather than drafting a QB that may not be worth the pick.

I'm not sure if I really agree with him, but I don't strongly DISAGREE. I think it is a fair point.

Discuss.

Normally I would agree with the BPA draft mentality, rather than trying to force it with an unknown commodity. But not this year. We must go all in at qb, even if it means giving up draft picks to move up.another year of Rex, and there might be a mass exodus of fans.

When you start drafting to appease fans you are really in trouble. How about getting the player you feel gives you the best chance to win. If the QB is available by whatever means reasonable then get him, if not don't pull a Ditka and screw the team for years to come.

When he said Rex hasn't been terrible i stopped reading. He has been terrible, having one decent game doesn't excuse him for sucking the rest of the season. Pretty sure he leads the league in TO's and he didn't even play in 3 games. Like i said before we can not start next season with him as our starting QB!

"One decent game"?...Grossman has had a QB rating of 92 or better in three of the last four games. And his game against the Patriots was a good one, even with the sack/fumble. (the INT at the end of the game was hardly a result of anything bad that Rex did).

I don't think his play overall this season proves anything more than we already knew before the season started--when Grossman is "good Rex" he can and will put points on the board, but when he's "bad Rex" he'll blow winnable games. But claiming he only had one decent game this season is asinine.

Rex is a heartbreaker. He plays well enough to give you hope and then plunges a dagger in your back. Sometimes, it's not even Rex that does it, but his accomplices like last week when first his dastardly friend the ref called a bs offensive PI because a receiver being jammed isn't allowed to disengage and then his evil cohort Santana Moss decided to pitch the ball back to the defender (which the dastardly ref fiend decided to ignore a bobble and call a catch [okay, I wouldn't have overturned it either, but still])

Regardless, Rex finds a way to break your spirit every game. From the... let's wait twelve seconds in the endzone double clutch the ball hold it out loose and wait for the hit, to the guarenteed interception he will have every game. Help me, I still root for him, but it's an abusive relationship.

I want a new qb. Also I think Rex has earned another yr with us. Have him start while the young qb gets ready for the pro's.

I agree, although I would have it an open competition. If we draft a QB high, give the rookie every possible chance to be named the starter. Rex hasn't earned the right to start next year, but having him on the roster would definitely be a benefit.

When you start drafting to appease fans you are really in trouble. How about getting the player you feel gives you the best chance to win. If the QB is available by whatever means reasonable then get him, if not don't pull a Ditka and screw the team for years to come.

Not getting a QB this year screws the team for years to come.

The Redskins aren't a playoff team in 2012 with Rex or <insert rookie> QB here. However, a rookie QB buys the entire organization time.

No rookie QB, suddenly this team has to make the playoffs in 2012. No playoffs, Shanny is on the hot seat and is FORCED to draft a QB in 2013.

You think we are making the playoffs with a rookie QB? :ols:

Shanny is gone after 2014 and we are hitting the re-set

If we need a stop gap for another rebuilding season while we groom a young QB, maybe. Rex is such an up and down QB -- I've stated on this board early in the season after the first 2 games when he played well to average, that he's an average QB. Then he played 3 poor games in a row, and I thought he was terrible. He played bad against the jets, good against NE's horrible defense. And the media bounces around like a yo yo on him, gushing when good Rex appears, trashing him and more so Shanny when he plays poorly. I haven't seen Rex's season stats post this game, but overall before this game it was towards the bottom of league If at best we want to strive to be an inconsistent 8-8 team, who can beat anyone and can lose to anyone, by putting more good pieces around Rex -- he might be the way to go. but in my opinion, if we want to be a serious contender we definitely need to do better than Rex. For all of his hot spurts at times even in those games we get those killer turnovers from him, tough to win with a QB who averages 2 turnovers a game.

When he said Rex hasn't been terrible i stopped reading. He has been terrible, having one decent game doesn't excuse him for sucking the rest of the season. Pretty sure he leads the league in TO's and he didn't even play in 3 games. Like i said before we can not start next season with him as our starting QB!

Rex hasn't only had 1 good game. Giants, Zona, Dallas, and NE were all good games.

But I've been thinking about this since last week, look how well TJ Yates plays in this offense. He's no Shaub, but he is certainly no Beck. It seems to me, that in this offense, as a QB, if you don't turn the ball over (Yates vs ATL, CIN. Grossman vs NY, DAL, and NE) you can be extremely successful in the offense.

So, I would be happy if we drafted a QB (Unless it was Landry Jones) but I would be just as happy if we got somebody like Flynn or even Trade for Ryan Mallet (Not gonna happen, but it would be cool).

In the article it says "Cleveland is reportedly willing to trade both 1st rounders it has this year for a shot a RG3"...Does anyone know if this is true? If this is the case, then we might need to move up to #2 to ensure we get him, and then you might as well look at the what it would take to move up to #1 to get Luch since your already moving up to 2. I hope its BS and we can sit right around 4 and let RG3 fall right into our laps

I wasn't suggesting they appease the fans, merely pointing out the fact that the fans would lose hope if there is no plan in place heading into 2012. And Snyder would notice. Thus, Shanny on the very hot seat. Its a bad cycle.

That being said, this team does still have a lot of holes.

In the article it says "Cleveland is reportedly willing to trade both 1st rounders it has this year for a shot a RG3"...Does anyone know if this is true? If this is the case, then we might need to move up to #2 to ensure we get him, and then you might as well look at the what it would take to move up to #1 to get Luch since your already moving up to 2. I hope its BS and we can sit right around 4 and let RG3 fall right into our laps

Luck is unattainable. The colts had a plan at the start of the season, they have executed it, and no one in the media seems to be calling them out for it.

The Redskins aren't a playoff team in 2012 with Rex or <insert rookie> QB here. However, a rookie QB buys the entire organization time.

No rookie QB, suddenly this team has to make the playoffs in 2012. No playoffs, Shanny is on the hot seat and is FORCED to draft a QB in 2013.

In all honesty that's a terrible reason for drafting a QB as well lol...

Rex needs to be here next year as a backup. He's perfect for the job as a #2 man. But there's no way in hell we can go into year three without a plan for a new starting QB. I don't care if our new dude is a third rounder, we need a long term plan.

Rex cannot be plan A again, no matter what. Period.

Don't disagree, I just said don't overpay to move up and get one, or don't get one to just get one if you don't like that guy.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

I wasn't suggesting they appease the fans, merely pointing out the fact that the fans would lose hope if there is no plan in place heading into 2012. And Snyder would notice. Thus, Shanny on the very hot seat. Its a bad cycle.

That being said, this team does still have a lot of holes.

You also don't know which QB Shanny favors, kinda of scary huh? I mean based on recent history.

I'm all for keeping Rex around. He's shown he can win some games, and we all knew he could lose some games. He's a better option at backup than a lot of teams have.

HOWEVER, if we don't draft one of the top 3 rookie QBs this draft, since we're going to be in good position (likely top 10, even if we win the next 3 games) and there ARE 3 guys at the top of the draft who could be really great, we should do what we need to to get one of them this year, instead of waiting another season for another QB.

We've begun building a young team, several of our backup tackles and guards are pretty good (Hurt, Polumbus, Smith), we have 3 young RBs who can play (Hightower, Helu, Royster), a couple of good young TEs (Davis and Paulsen) and some promise at WR (Hankerson and maybe Paul). Now is the time to plant that rookie QB.

I've been against moving up to draft a QB for the past few years, this year I think we should make the move.

Disagree, Rex is not that bad when he has time and a running game. But yeah we need a plan A but don't rush it/.

Exactly. You won't always have "time and a running game"

Having that week in week out is a relic of the 80s.

You know what you get? At best Alex Smith 2011. Thats at best, and Rex isn't nearly as athletic as Smith is.

With Rex, this is probably an 8-8 team in 2012, and we are further doomed for mediocrity

Rex needs to be here next year as a backup. He's perfect for the job as a #2 man. But there's no way in hell we can go into year three without a plan for a new starting QB. I don't care if our new dude is a third rounder, we need a long term plan.

Rex cannot be plan A again, no matter what. Period.

Disagree, Rex is not that bad when he has time and a running game. But yeah we need a plan A but don't rush it/.

Archived