Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Snider: Rex not end of world in 2012

Houston2Taylor2Landry

I can't imagine anyone would be against Rex being back next year as a bridge QB or a backup. At the very least he has shown that he can be a good spot starter for this team in this offense.

We should draft a QB at 1, Rex is the bridge/backup and then draft another QB later in the draft as the development guy. Those should be our 3 QBs next season.

So you're saying we should have stayed with Jason Campbell? lol ;)...

I think Jason Campbell is better than Rex. I think JC is probably....The 15th or 16th best QB in the league. I wasn't against us trading him because, like most, I was pumped to see DM5. But, I wouldn't be against JC coming back. As crazy as that might sound.

I can't imagine anyone would be against Rex being back next year as a bridge QB or a backup. At the very least he has shown that he can be a good spot starter for this team in this offense.

We should draft a QB at 1, Rex is the bridge/backup and then draft another QB later in the draft as the development guy. Those should be our 3 QBs next season.

So....RG3/Barkley...Rex....Weeden....

UnWise Mike basically wrote the same article for the post today. Seems the local media is tired of bashing Rex and has earned some respect for him.

I think its also the fact the local media senses we may actually get a QB and the fan base is clamoring for it.

If we are "satisfied" and not raging from April to August, how will they rile us up?

Start imagining. I don't want Rex anywhere near this team. In fact, our QB position is the only position on the team I have a total loathing for. I can point out bright spots every where else.

"One decent game"?...Grossman has had a QB rating of 92 or better in three of the last four games. And his game against the Patriots was a good one, even with the sack/fumble. (the INT at the end of the game was hardly a result of anything bad that Rex did).

I don't think his play overall this season proves anything more than we already knew before the season started--when Grossman is "good Rex" he can and will put points on the board, but when he's "bad Rex" he'll blow winnable games. But claiming he only had one decent game this season is asinine.

Califan, you and I are in agreement.

Rex has his limits but he also has heart. Heart alone can be a driven asset especially when the player is not athletically superior. It's what the team took notice of before the season began and what has allowed them to be competitive each Sunday (with the exception of the games Beck started). You don't let something like that just walk.

Grossman has intangibles that make him a very good quarterback when he is not drunk the night before ;) In other words, he has the "it" factor but he also needs a good supporting cast.

Do you think RG III is big enough to take the physical pounding from 300 lb lineman!

No use having him if he stays on a bench injured.

Well let's see here. Ol' Rex,who has clearly taken his share of hits and has still played,is "listed" at 6-1 and 225,(er...the weight distribution on Rex is probably just a little suspect ;) ). RG3 is" listed" at 6-2 220, and looks to be just a tad more in shape than Rex so I'm thinking that yeah,he can take the pounding.

Exactly. You won't always have "time and a running game"

Having that week in week out is a relic of the 80s.

You know what you get? At best Alex Smith 2011. Thats at best, and Rex isn't nearly as athletic as Smith is.

With Rex, this is probably an 8-8 team in 2012, and we are further doomed for mediocrity

It is funny this 80's thing keeps coming up, like being a complete team is a relic from that time era. And what about the Packers? Just another pretty faced QB with a great arm or the complete package, you know like those dominant teams of the 80's?

It is funny this 80's thing keeps coming up, like being a complete team is a relic from that time era. And what about the Packers? Just another pretty faced QB with a great arm or the complete package, you know like those dominant teams of the 80's?

The Packers don't have nearly the D we had in 1991. That D was ranked 2nd in the NFL and had 3 shutouts

Their o-line isn't nearly as good either. Look how many times Rodgers gets sacked.

However, Rodgers is just that damn special where he imposes his will on a D

Say RGIII is there at #5. Do you trade that pick to Cleveland for both their 1sts, draft WR and OL and then a QB at top of second?
If that happened and they did not take RG3 Shanahan and Allen would have a serious problem because me and thousands of extremeskiners would be driving to Redskins park immediately to riot hahaha.

In 14 games for the Redskins, Rex has 20 interceptions and 11 fumbles. He has turned the ball over in every game in which he has appeared. He's been as awful at protecting the ball as any QB in NFL history. (Still...better than Beck!)

If the Skins do not draft a QB this year, Shanahan will deservedly be fired at the end of next season and the team will have no chance of being good until 2016 at the latest.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 10:41 AM ----------

Say RGIII is there at #5. Do you trade that pick to Cleveland for both their 1sts, draft WR and OL and then a QB at top of second?

No, you take the QB.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to know what another year of Rex will look like: It will look like this year. And that could very well get Shanny fired.

Never want to force a pick. But you want to grab an opportunity to make a move for a player you believe in.

Young exciting QB is what this team desperately needs. He gives you a reason to have hope. Look at the difference between Carolina and us right now. Same record, but Carolina fans are probably feeling like they're on their way. Meanwhile, we've been counting down to the draft since before Thanksgiving.

The Packers without Rodgers and those receivers are kind of awful.

Their defense is absolutely horrible, and they have absolutely no running game. They are as one-dimensional as you can be. It's just that the one dimension is dominant that they may go 19-0.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to know what another year of Rex will look like: It will look like this year. And that could very well get Shanny fired.

Never want to force a pick. But you want to grab an opportunity to make a move for a player you believe in.

Young exciting QB is what this team desperately needs. He gives you a reason to have hope. Look at the difference between Carolina and us right now. Same record, but Carolina fans are probably feeling like they're on their way. Meanwhile, we've been counting down to the draft since before Thanksgiving.

That was a great analogy of using Carolina. I couldnt have said it better. We have the exact same record but people and fans are excited about the Panthers because they know there future is bright because they are set at the QB position.

We were a laughing stock because we went into the year with Rex and Beck. Those that laughed have been proven right.

We are -16 in turnover ratio and some of you want to keep this guy? I'd keep him as a backup. Maybe start the season until the rook is ready and wait for Rex's first 4 turnover game (might come too fast) but I absolutely feel that this team needs a blue chip QB on the roster come April. Anything short will be a failure.

I think its also the fact the local media senses we may actually get a QB and the fan base is clamoring for it.

If we are "satisfied" and not raging from April to August, how will they rile us up?

The sports media has cycles more predictable than spring following winter.

Six weeks ago, I could predict two stories.

1. A rash of stories saying that it's not 100 percent certain that Andrew Luck is the best QB in the draft. Those are already starting. And it's stupid. It's the same thing that happened with Manning and Leaf when everyone knew that Manning was put on this earth to be an NFL QB while Leaf was a one-year wonder who was also a raging *******.

2. There will be a bunch of stories in the local media about how Rex Grossman is good enough to be the Skins' QB next year. Even though he has been absolutely dreadful. Seriously, can you name another QB in football who (a) throws an interception every single game and (B) is 50/50 to fumble every time he gets sacked?

The sports media has cycles more predictable than spring following winter.

Six weeks ago' date=' I could predict two stories.

1. A rash of stories saying that it's not 100 percent certain that Andrew Luck is the best QB in the draft. Those are already starting. And it's stupid. It's the same thing that happened with Manning and Leaf when everyone knew that Manning was put on this earth to be an NFL QB while Leaf was a one-year wonder who was also a raging *******.

2. There will be a bunch of stories in the local media about how Rex Grossman is good enough to be the Skins' QB next year. Even though he has been absolutely dreadful. Seriously, can you name another QB in football who (a) throws an interception every single game and (B) is 50/50 to fumble every time he gets sacked?[/quote']

:ols:

I am hoping number 1 pops up and creeps into Irsay's brain while he tweets daily. We may end up getting a miracle.

I can't believe that even if we go 4-12 we'll end up picking only as high as 4. Drives me nuts. That Seattle win may end up looking even worse

Archived