Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Snider: Rex not end of world in 2012

Houston2Taylor2Landry

Say RGIII is there at #5. Do you trade that pick to Cleveland for both their 1sts, draft WR and OL and then a QB at top of second?

Honestly, how is that even a question? Until this team has a quarterback, it doesn't matter how many 1st round talents we have.

Remember when our secondary was straight first rounders. Yeah, that ended well.

Honestly, how is that even a question? Until this team has a quarterback, it doesn't matter how many 1st round talents we have.

Remember when our secondary was straight first rounders. Yeah, that ended well.

I think you missed the part about drafting a qb also.

I think you missed the part about drafting a qb also.

I'm 100% sold on the top two. I suppose if we could still land Barkley and end up with the other first it could be entertained but we haven't had a franchise QB since Sonny, maybe Joe. Either way 30 years is too long. We need a man behind center. We are more than due.

I hate to break it to you' date=' but this team is winning again this year. They are still playing hard. Hell, they should have won on Sunday.[/quote']

I am hoping it is "playing to the level of the opponent"

I am also hoping bad Rex shows up for 3 games.

5-11 would be a total disaster. I may just quit this place I would be so frustrated

One could argue it will set us back 5 years.

Seriously, we were so close to getting Luck or RGIII, now we might be too far out for either of them without mortgaging a ton in futures.

The point was, we suck this year, let's suck enough to not suck in the future. I saw it as a win win.

:)

Say we end up at 5 and miss out on the top QBs and settle for Blackmon, I think the clock is ticking on Shanny's time in DC

I don't disagree with you that we need a QB in the draft...I just also know that you never know what's right around the corner so there's no way to just say that X will set us back Y years. Shouldn't the Vick/Petrino debacle set Atlanta back 5+ years?

:)

Say we end up at 5 and miss out on the top QBs and settle for Blackmon, I think the clock is ticking on Shanny's time in DC

If we don't obviously have a QB in place by the end of next season, I would fire Shanahan.

I'm serious.

If we draft RGIII, it better look like his game translates to the NFL. Because if it doesn't, it would be time to start over with - I dunno - some dude who went to high school with Mike Tomlin or something.

Seriously, we were so close to getting Luck or RGIII, now we might be too far out for either of them without mortgaging a ton in futures.

The point was, we suck this year, let's suck enough to not suck in the future. I saw it as a win win.

I know. Tongue in cheek, I promise. I agree with the sentiment, just have always thought the "screwed for 5 years" line was a little dramatic. If we draft Blackmon and some 4th round QB who turns into a top QB, doesn't that statement seem ridiculous in hindsight? I want us to draft a QB in April (as high as possible), I'm simply saying that we have no way of forecasting how things will go.

I'm wondering if we can pry Bradford away from the Rams and let them use their 2nd overall pick on their choice of QB. It would give us the QB we need and help us hold on to some draft picks

Nope. Don't want that either. He is a bust for #1. Sorry to say it. Two years is enough time and he hasn't shown anything.

If this is true than everything that Vinny Cerato said last night was also true. I live in the New York Area and Cerato was on ESPN 1050 last night as an inside NFL Analyst. He believes that whoever doesn't make the playoffs between the Giants and Cowboys will be looking for a new head coach. Then he snuck in " and also who finishes last in the division" insinuating that Shannahan will be fired.

"One decent game"?...Grossman has had a QB rating of 92 or better in three of the last four games. And his game against the Patriots was a good one, even with the sack/fumble. (the INT at the end of the game was hardly a result of anything bad that Rex did).

I don't think his play overall this season proves anything more than we already knew before the season started--when Grossman is "good Rex" he can and will put points on the board, but when he's "bad Rex" he'll blow winnable games. But claiming he only had one decent game this season is asinine.

Right, b/c a guy with a comp% 58%, and 21 TO's in 10 games is something that we should consider good.

And if you wanna say he had good games against the Giants, Dallas, Zona and Pats....well they are ranked 29th, 24th, 23rd and 32nd. Good job Rex you can throw the ball against teams that have terrible pass D's.

And the worst part is we dont have a better option right now.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 10:07 AM ----------

If this is true than everything that Vinny Cerato said last night was also true. I live in the New York Area and Cerato was on ESPN 1050 last night as an inside NFL Analyst. He believes that whoever doesn't make the playoffs between the Giants and Cowboys will be looking for a new head coach. Then he snuck in " and also who finishes last in the division" insinuating that Shannahan will be fired.

He might mean the Eagles. They aren't too far behind us.

:ols: Those are just facts!

I'm intrigued by the secondary market depending how the draft and coaching changes shake out. Young QBs who have already gone through some of the growing pains, like Bradford and Cassel, might be available at a discount if their teams go in different directions with new coaches. I'd SERIOUSLY consider giving up our first if the Rams snipe one of the top QBs in the draft.

No way. We must take a QB with our first pick. I don't mind Rex being on the team and playing until our QB is groomed. I don't mind Rex being our backup. Rex is way too inconsistent to be our full time starter.

Rex is really not all that inconsistent. He is going to throw one interception per game and is going to fumble pretty much every other time he is sacked. That's his baseline.

He has occasional "bad" games where he throws three picks.

Archived