Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should School Lunch Be Free To Everyone?

DM72

I must be the only one who loved school lunch.

That food was 10 times better than the stuff I ate at home. Barbecue rib sandwiches, steak and cheese, chicken sandwiches, tater tots, egg rolls, chicken nuggets, chocolate milk, new potatoes in that buttery sauce, sweet corn, green beans, and man that pizza was awesome.

I would stop at a school for lunch every day if I could do it without getting arrested. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

:ols:

I didn't start getting school lunches like that until I left DCPS and started going to DC Public Charter Schools.

You would think that the schools wouldn't be that much different but they were.

I get that, but new regulations passed before Bush left office forced schools that were enrolled inthe program had to eliminate all those things (restaraunts, soda machines, etc.). It even goes to the point that fundraisers had to be healthy foods along with "food parties" in class. If schools didn't they lost funding, not all of it, but lost funding.

Hasn't this always been the case?

When I was in highschool, so the late 80s, we were told that they couldn't have soda machines in the school because of the subsidized lunches.

I agree, but is it realistic to just offer salads and baked chicken, a baked potato and bread without butter everyday?

Yep, because that's what my school eats every day.

Let me just say that my schools lunch probably isn't like how your schools lunch was or is.

Stemming from the fact that 40% of the posters on this board are from Virginia, and all of the people I know from Virginia that go to my school now say their school lunches were like gold compared to the ones we eat in the Eastern Panhandle of WV.

For instance, today we had a "Chicken Patty". No, we don't get breaded chicken that actually tastes good, we get plain un-seasoned chicken, served with a wheat bun. Un-seasoned corn, salad, and milk. Now just slighly tweak that and it's basically everyday.

Thanksgiving Lunch? 2 pieces of flavorless turkey, un-seasoned Mashed Potatoes, un-seasoned green beans, and milk.

We are not allowed to have any added salt. Leaving 95% of our food flavorless.

You might say, "Good, they are serving us nice and healthy meals." and yes, you would be right. But it doesn't work out as planned. Because, you see, when you give kids food that taste like garbage, they don't eat it, then they go home starving for good tasting food that is quick to make...and you know what that is.

Adults should be forced to eat it for lunch for a month. Only then should adults decide what they want to do about school lunches.

I've ate my wifes cooking for a quarter century,school food can't be much worse.:ols:

Providing lunch would simplify things(money collection/keeping up with the free/reduced price ect),until the entitlement mentality kicks in and costs spiral out of control.

What about breakfast(the most important meal of the day)???

first thing's first... make schools start serving good food.

on Nov. 17th, I went to school with my child for american education week. I had breakfast with her in their cafeteria. I got a bagel. It bordered on not being edible. How do you screw up a bagel? HOW? I don't know, but the school system managed to.

You know, I think you can draw a pretty easy correlation between unhealthy food choices in schools and public schools cutting things like recess and PE etc.

I actually thought that a much better and easier objective for this Administration would have been to focus on exactly this. Improving the health of children through diet and exercise and simply feeding all the people that are in poor situations would have been a much better approach to solving the healthcare issues. Also would have been much less intrusive on our economy then our current Obamacare plan. Nobody would have fought against accomplishing that sort of goal and it would have put the Democratic Party in a much more advantageous position for the upcoming elections.

I see. My senior year in high school we actually started getting projectors but I didn't get to use them. We actually had like 56 laptops for the whole school. Never seemed useful now that I think about it. Damn pp you have opened my eyes.

I also found school lunch good. I can eat anything. Soda is banned over here in schools.

The reason I ask this is because Buffalo just passed a bill that everyone will get free lunch from now on. That got me thinking, shouldn't lunch be included in school taxes anyway?

Some states (like California) don't have personal property taxes paying for schools. At least not in the district I used to work in. I have a LOT more here than I did there.

as in something that won't result in obesity and diabetes.

A lot has changed since I was in school- the spaghetti is now whole wheat spaghetti, bread is whole wheat, no Veryfine cans being sold in the cafe, low-fat cheese, small portions, no more nachos, etc. etc.

There's a lot of money spent on unnecessary technology. Do we need a thousand laptops when there are already several computer labs? Do we need friggin smartboards with projectors in every classroom when regular cheap whiteboards do the trick?

Yes. My projector is my life saver. My SMARTboard...I COULD live without, but my document camera is the best thing that ever happened to my teaching. Life has changed since you went to school. These kids are growing up in the digital age. They expect to be entertained when they come to school. Motivating kids without technology is do-able, but a lot easier using it. Plus, it's wonderful to reach multi-modal learners.

And several computer labs? That are used for multiple other things that you have to sign up for and make sure it fits within your daily schedule? I haven't used the computer lab once this year- it's always being used for testing and things.

Who has these things?

I have a SMARTboard, document camera (though I am the only teacher in my whole school with one, bc I sweet-talked our IT guy for it), but every teacher had a doc camera in my old school in Cali. I have a county-issued laptop and have 4 student computers in my room.

Adults should be forced to eat it for lunch for a month. Only then should adults decide what they want to do about school lunches.

I have actually eaten school lunch for the past week. It's not that bad. They don't give adults an adult portion, though. Today was beef/refried beans on a whole wheat tortilla. I don't see why you complain about chocolate milk....there are MUCH worse things kids can be drinking. If the chocolate makes a kid get his calcium, who cares? It's low-fat and better than juice.

I think it is overboard too. I'm all for computers in the classroom, but an lcd projector and smart screen in every room? Really? Why? Is there something about 2+2 that is so tricky that it requires an $800 piece of equipment to explain to a 6 year old?

Again...times have changed since you were a child. Lecturing doesn't cut it anymore. Teachers are expected to use technology in the classroom- we are evaluated on it. Kids get CONSTANT stimulation these days from video games, cell phones, tv, etc. It is hard to compete at school, and technology gives us a fighting chance.

And, to the OP: most of my school is on free/reduced lunch anyway. I work at a Title I Elementary school. They also get free breakfast. There are also programs for kids to take home food over the weekends. Sometimes school lunch is the best thing (and maybe only thing) these kids eat all day.

Not sure why people say the school lunches are bad. My son just started going to school, and half the time he does buy lunch. My wife, who is often at the school volunteering, seems happy enough with the lunches to let him eat them when he wants to, and pack out when he wants to.

Course, I remember when I was a kid the most exciting time was when they served McDonalds hamburgers. (I didn't have a cafeteria that that elementary school, so I was packing in most days.)

I will say, MissU, that I have noticed in college that them document cameras seem to be quite useful. Any idea how much they cost compared to the smartboards?

I have one like this right now, and it runs for around $2000

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCcjZ-LasyaFH4afXJH43lTNrNWKYIdUl0wmR1MI2f8tFrCmSzmg

I had this one in Cali, and it's around $700-$800

E122-1050-main-af.jpg

SMARTboards cost around $2000 I think?

I actually used my SMARTboard today for a fun lesson on subjects and predicates. I also like to play a lot of review games with it. I love my SMARTboard, but I love my doc cam more.

my favorite in elementary school was when I'd get good grades, my mom would bring in Taco Bell or something similar. Those were great days and made me work harder :ols:

but from what I remember in elementary school, the food wasnt that bad. My mom normally made my lunch though, so I guess I didnt get a full taste of what the school offered. The best days were taco days, everyone had that circled on their calendars. My school also started baking fresh cookies and bread my last couple of years there...I can taste the snickerdoodle cookies now...so delicious.

Eh, who's going to pay for it? Are we talking at least one meal for breakfast and lunch, because that would be a good thing to encourage students to eat (hard to focus on an empty stomach). And I don't know where the hell ya'll got your lunch food from, but outside the pizza I can think of a couple damn good meals I got for school lunch. Even in DC...

Chicken pot slop, hmmmm, come back to me, baby...

edit: DC public school pizza at hines was off the chain, and if you waited around long enough during lunch, it was free. Wasn't unheard of to see us getting like four or five slices by the time all was said at done in one day. Hell ya

No, It shouldn't. Sorry to mix this up with the occupy movement, but I saw and read that many occupy protesters were hitting up food shelters for Turkeyday and everyday. They are not the needy(most are living in a tent as a choice), as are many of the children that go to public schools. I have read many of these posts and maybe I'm trailer trash(have never lived in one) hehe. But the lunches are not that bad.

fwiw, I aquired many, many, many plus many, lunches for my friends and I.

I could agree possibly if this was only reginal.

The problem is that there is no such thing as having 'Free Lunch', it simply means that it won't cost money for the kids to get lunch served to them.

Someone has to pay for the food (taxpayers) and someone has to pay for the lunch personnel to serve the lunch (taxpayers). You may feel that more taxpayer money going to the schools to allow them to offer lunch free of charge to the kids is OK or you may not, but please, don't advertise that lunches are free. It just depends on who is buying/paying.

Archived