Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should School Lunch Be Free To Everyone?

DM72

School lunch isn't free since taxpayers are stuck with the bill.

Back in my, day not only did we walk 5 miles in the snow to go to school but, mom made us peanut butter and jelly sammiches as well as bologna and cheese sandwiches. And it doesn't cost that much to buy and not that much time to make. :rolleyes:

The problem is that there is no such thing as having 'Free Lunch', it simply means that it won't cost money for the kids to get lunch served to them.

Someone has to pay for the food (taxpayers) and someone has to pay for the lunch personnel to serve the lunch (taxpayers). You may feel that more taxpayer money going to the schools to allow them to offer lunch free of charge to the kids is OK or you may not, but please, don't advertise that lunches are free. It just depends on who is buying/paying.

You know what I mean. And it's free to the kids, so it is free lunch.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2011 at 10:47 AM ----------

Depends on where the other budget cuts come from to make this happen.

I think it makes sense for them to be able to have lunch and breakfast at school if needed/wanted.

So how do we save money to be able to do this ? The list is endless.

I also thought most of the money from the state lotteries is supposed to go to the schools. That's millions of dollars a day.

What about breakfast(the most important meal of the day)???

That's interesting.

If you really wanted to impose a healthy lifestyle on kids, you would require that they get to school by a certain time and have a mandatory breakfast period (15 minutes or so). As you mentioned, it's the most important meal of the day and I would guess that a large number of school-aged kids either skip it or eat a Cookies & Cream Pop Tart on their way out the door.

Regulating breakfast and giving kids free reign over lunch would probably be more beneficial.

There's a lot of money spent on unnecessary technology. Do we need a thousand laptops when there are already several computer labs? Do we need friggin smartboards with projectors in every classroom when regular cheap whiteboards do the trick?

Or teaching assistants. We never had those and you'd think with all the technology at a teachers hand, they'd spend less time after school grading and doing all the other paperwork they have to do and wouldn't need an assistant.

My wife works as a Detician Technican at Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Schools. She said it's dificult to come up with a menu that meets the needs of every child because of all the damn allergies these kids have nowadays.

And I'm going to rant a little. We have no kids. Why do my taxes have to go to schools? If I have to pay them, I'd rather them allocate mine to the roads that I use everyday that need repair.

Archived