Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No whining about the fact we won please!

Burgold

“We know the Redskins are not a better team than us. If we played them 100 times, they might win five.”- Antrel Rolle, Week 1

But in a followup interview, yesterday on WFAN, Rolle corrected the host (and himself), saying “I said ninety-nine.” Considering that the Redskins already won in Week 1, they would mathematically be expected to lose the next 99 times they played them, or every time for the next 50 years.- Week 15

Love this dude.

I thought of that when Stallworth broke Rolle's ankles for that 3rd and 17 play that set up the first TD.

Since when?

The fact that every player in this last draft was a team captain and high character individual makes me think it wasn't just a coincidence.

A lot of his picks in the last two drafts have been considered "reaches". Trent Williams, Jarvis Jenkins, and Roy Helu are the most glaring. They've turned out to be very promising players, no doubt about that. However, going BPA would not have gotten them. Specifically in Helu's case since Shanny traded up to draft him. NO ONE had Helu graded as high as he was drafted. Which tells me the Redskins have very unconventional scouts, or Shanahan handpicked Helu before the draft even started based on information only HE knew. Helu also happened to fill a need, as did nearly every other pick in the last two drafts.

I realize what I said could be misconstrued because I said "doesn't". What I meant is that he doesn't primarily draft BPA, which I like because it isn't lazy.

We won a meaningless game in a season where we have no hope of going to the playoffs!

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

We're moving away from the top of the draft so we won't be able to draft as great of a prospect to fix our utterly broken team, BUT WE WON!!!! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

were you rooting for them to lose, by any chance?

I said this in the draft position thread. You used to have to avoid extremeskins after losses but it's almost to the point where you have to avoid it after wins too!!

I like to be in that thread cuz I like to know not for tanking. Regardless, this team has me proud to be a Skins fan!!!

I would rather not see him. He can win games, but his not a #1. I said that because I dont want to see him and we should draft one for our future

No doubt we should draft a QB. Rex has been in the league for about ten years. But I'll also never understand all of the hate for Rex! Is he reckless on occasion? Heck yes. But if you want to move the ball down the field, Rex is the best we've got. And all of you who "don't want to see Rex next year" .. who in the league would you rather have us pick up? I don't see ANY better options! I'll take Rex until a rook is ready to start. I would even be happy if that wasn't even until 2013.

Tannehill is a legitimate prospect.

In fact, he rolls out and throws on the run better than anyone else IMO.

If Cleveland wins, we'll be drafting 6th with no team in front of us that needs a QB. We will be fine people.

I hope we win out. Finishing a respectable 7-9 will be great.

It makes me so frustrated to hear people complain about losing. Yes, in a vacuum perhaps it is better for the long term, but I mean come on. London Fletcher deserves to win. Santana moss deserves to win. These guys have put their whole hearts and bodies out on the field, and deserve to receive a little reward for their efforts.

HTTR

The fact that every player in this last draft was a team captain and high character individual makes me think it wasn't just a coincidence.

A lot of his picks in the last two drafts have been considered "reaches". Trent Williams, Jarvis Jenkins, and Roy Helu are the most glaring. They've turned out to be very promising players, no doubt about that. However, going BPA would not have gotten them. Specifically in Helu's case since Shanny traded up to draft him. NO ONE had Helu graded as high as he was drafted. Which tells me the Redskins have very unconventional scouts, or Shanahan handpicked Helu before the draft even started based on information only HE knew. Helu also happened to fill a need, as did nearly every other pick in the last two drafts.

I realize what I said could be misconstrued because I said "doesn't". What I meant is that he doesn't primarily draft BPA, which I like because it isn't lazy.

Couple things here.

1. Guys like Kerrigan, Trent, Jenkins, and Helu were seem as "reaches" by some, but are panning out VERY nicely (I'm including Jenkins because he would be having a good rookie year if he wasn't injured--rave reviews). Isn't it conceivable that they WERE each the "BPA" on our board at the time? Mel Kiper's draft board isn't the end-all be-all for this stuff. Every team grades players differently. You trade up for a player like Helu if he's the BPA on your board and is dropping further than you think he should, and feel like you need to pounce. Kind of like the Cowboys and Dez Bryant. Just because Okung was seen as a player that was more "ready" than Trent, by most, doesn't mean that Trent's monstrous potential didn't make him the BPA on our board. Its probable that he was.

I'm just saying that you are using what the media/fans/etc. thought of our picks at the time to decide whether it was actually a "reach" or "BPA" pick, when in all honesty, there's no way to know that unless you've seen our draft boards. They could all have been BPA at the time, or "BPA at a position of need".

2. I disagree that we always filled "needs" with these picks. We didn't "need" a DE/NT after signing Bowen, Cofield, and having Carriker already on the roster. It definitely wasn't our largest need, which is why many didn't see that pick coming. If JJ was the BPA on our board at that point though, it wouldn't matter.

We arguably didn't "need" a RB, since Shanahan is known for making nobodies productive, but he traded UP for one. Although, he also traded for Hightower later, so maybe once Torain proved he'd never be reliably healthy it was a need. But at the time of the draft, I don't think many would have seen RB as a "need" that we'd trade up for. But this one's arguable. I certainly had an explosive RB on my "wish list", but didn't see it as a need.

We didn't "need" an ILB when we drafted Perry Riley in the 4th round, not two years ago. We didn't "need" a S/CB prospect when we drafted Gomes--we signed Wilson and Atogwe, and had a lot of returning players in the secondary. We didn't "need" another NT prospect in Neild, but he was likely the BPA in the 7th for us. Maybe some of these picks, in addition to some of our FA signings, proves that they were indeed "needed", but I don't think its crazy to say that many of these guys could have been BPA on OUR draft board, regardless of what the media thought of these picks at the time.

In short, I think you are correct that we have drafted almost exclusively team captains, seniors, and leaders the past two drafts on purpose. But that doesn't mean they weren't BPA. It's not crazy at all to think that these things are built into our grades on these prospects, which would make them more likely to be BPA when compared to younger, less experienced, less accomplished players. So even though other teams might not see these prospects as the most talented, our team takes into account the traits that they think will lead to success, just like every team does when grading prospects. I would suspect that for us, "intangibles", prolific production, specific scheme fit, and experience are just weighted heavier than with other teams. Just like the Patriots draft, might I add. And if I'm right, that would mean that these guys could have all been BPA picks, going by OUR board...which is all that matters to each individual team.

If it helps get Coughlin fired, it will be worth it.

Why do you want Coughlin fired? I'm perfectly happy with that idiot with the "always constipated look" on their sidelines. The G'nats are definitely a team on the way down. The Skins are definitely on the way UP with a bunch of solid, young talent.

“We know the Redskins are not a better team than us. If we played them 100 times, they might win five.”- Antrel Rolle, Week 1

But in a followup interview, yesterday on WFAN, Rolle corrected the host (and himself), saying “I said ninety-nine.” Considering that the Redskins already won in Week 1, they would mathematically be expected to lose the next 99 times they played them, or every time for the next 50 years.- Week 15

Love this dude.

WE ARE THE 1% !!! :ols:

I get what you're saying and absolutely agree that Shanahan does seem to favor potential and certain qualities more than others. However, it is fundamentally incorrect to say with any degree of certainty that he doesn't draft (primarily) according to BPA. Going BPA isn't about drafting according to the media consensus of who should be drafted where, it's about drafting the best player according to your grades at a given spot irrespective of other factors (e.g., need for a player at position x). Character, leadership, and potential are parts of that grade for all teams but the weights tend to vary from one organization to another.

In order to say what Shanahan's strategy really is we'd need to have access to the Redskins' big board. Since that isn't a possibility, though, we can only make an educated guess based on the results of some of his drafts. Personally, I'd say that Shanahan's proven propensity for moving up and down in the draft to get guys he likes demonstrates the kind of mindful, value-based drafting that is ideal. It may not quite be pure BPA but it's similar.

Edit: Hm, this post is somewhat redundant now that I've seen Conn's post. Oh well, that's what I get for taking my time.

Tannehill is a legitimate prospect.

In fact, he rolls out and throws on the run better than anyone else IMO.

If Cleveland wins, we'll be drafting 6th with no team in front of us that needs a QB. We will be fine people.

I hope we win out. Finishing a respectable 7-9 will be great.

It makes me so frustrated to hear people complain about losing. Yes, in a vacuum perhaps it is better for the long term, but I mean come on. London Fletcher deserves to win. Santana moss deserves to win. These guys have put their whole hearts and bodies out on the field, and deserve to receive a little reward for their efforts.

HTTR

I'll be absolutely sick if we draft Tannehill. I am not advocating losing or tanking and I am happy we beat the giants today but we are hurting our draft position and all that means to me is that we will have to trade up. Nonetheless, if we have to, so be it. trade up and get Barkley, RGIII or Luck. Anything less and we have completely crapped the bed.

No doubt we should draft a QB. Rex has been in the league for about ten years. But I'll also never understand all of the hate for Rex! Is he reckless on occasion? Heck yes. But if you want to move the ball down the field, Rex is the best we've got. And all of you who "don't want to see Rex next year" .. who in the league would you rather have us pick up? I don't see ANY better options! I'll take Rex until a rook is ready to start. I would even be happy if that wasn't even until 2013.

If by occasion you mean every single game then yes he is reckless on occasion.

I'll be absolutely sick if we draft Tannehill. I am not advocating losing or tanking and I am happy we beat the giants today but we are hurting our draft position and all that means to me is that we will have to trade up. Nonetheless, if we have to, so be it. trade up and get Barkley, RGIII or Luck. Anything less and we have completely crapped the bed.

Dude, do you understand the game, do you understand team sports?? These guys are pro's because they know one thing.... full speed, What in the hell do all of the loooosers on ES expect for these guys to do? The current team(coaching and players) obviously do not understand the loser mentality, so why do you?

So...you don't like Tannehill...because he's not Luck, RG3, or Barkley? Is there a cap on good QB prospects in the same draft, where there can only be 3?

Great win! Love the effort! Got to laugh at all of the "Loose for the future" fans.

I'm glad you're sad, but a little sad you're not glad.

I will be happy if we manage 7 and 9 but I'll take any win we can get.

I agree. I think it's sad & pathetic that there are REAL fans that are hoping for losses. They are twisted in their belief that every loss gets us closer to a great QB in the Draft. I think we get every win we can this year & worry about that next year. I think this FO is capable of making whatever deals they need to to get the QB that works for us next year.

Btw, I love that we swept the Giants. Just love it. But I HATE that we helped the Cowboys today. Not that it'll matter, they'll choke before it's all overwith either way.

Have you ever played a team sport:? How can anyone expect for these "pros" to give anything but 200%

Btw, I love that we sewpt the Giants. Just love it. But I HATE that we helped the Cowboys today. Not that it'll matter, they'll choke before it's all overwith either way.

Hey, with a little luck, maybe in two weeks, we can knock Philly out of the playoffs.

And listen to more people complaining. :)

Archived