Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

Clayton Q & A

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7450122/expect-nfl-playoff-format-change

Q: I only see three teams that will go all in for a QB (Washington, Miami, Cleveland). Assuming, Peyton Manning is healthy and Colts want to trade Andrew Luck, I see three potential franchise QBs available to those teams (Luck, RG3 and Matt Flynn). Flynn will be signed before the draft (my guess by Redskins) leaving only two teams on draft day. My point is, I do not see the demand high enough to warrant giving away three first-round choices as some have suggested for Luck. Also, I don't think the Browns do anything but stay at No. 4.

John in Raleigh, N.C.

A: Good read on the situation, John. The Redskins would be the in the best position to trade up, but I agree that the price won't be three first-rounders. I could see a No. 1 and a No. 2 or a No. 1 and a No. 3 being the price to get up to the No. 2 pick and get Griffin III. You're probably right about the Browns, too. They will stay at No. 4 and hope a quarterback drops to them. If not, they might take a quarterback with the No. 22 pick in the first round, the pick they acquired from Atlanta. The team that needs to make a move is Miami. The Dolphins need something to sell tickets and the coaching search doesn't seem to be a big promotional campaign.

Christ, if we don't trade up and go after Manning i will be beyond pissed

If we go after Manning I will be furious. There is no upside to a 36 year old QB testing out his fused spine. Trade up for Griffin, but I say we may not and Cleveland winds up with him. If we do not get a good QB it is the same ol, same ol next year.

If we go after Manning I will be furious. There is no upside to a 36 year old QB testing out his fused spine. Trade up for Griffin, but I say we may not and Cleveland winds up with him. If we do not get a good QB it is the same ol, same ol next year.

I think I'd just be more upset that we still aren't home-growing a franchise QB but signing other teams old worn out used up players. I mean I would feel this way even if Manning came here and played lights out because it would only be for 2 years or so, and we'd be back right where are right now. I so BADLY want to DRAFT our QB for the next 10 years.

Just want to raise a couple of what I think are interesting points, having not read all this thread, of course!

Been having a nose around a Browns message board, and those there wanting RG3 are in a minority (definitely a good few, but a minority nonetheless), mainly because of the price of assuming they will have to jump to 2 (eg maybe their #22) because otherwise we will. There are also those who are resigned to not getting RG3 because they think it will be a bidding war against us which they will lose, so they are not even thinking about it, more of giving Colt better tools and see how he does in one more year (bearing in mind the QBs available in 2013 if they stink it up again). That would be a good scenario for us I think, where the Browns go for Richardson+WR in round 1 (or Blackmon+OL), leaving Griffin to fall (yes I know Miami/Seattle/ANOther could try to move up instead) to 6.

But that kinda leads me to my next point. Heard a lot of chat about how we don't have the real offensive game-breakers that other teams do, making people miss and turning small-medium gains into BIG ones. Following that line of thought, if Griffin has gone by the time we pick, obviously Blackmon has a chance of being that, but what do people think (and there are several mock drafts who are suggesting this, and even given that most people think we are set here) of us taking Trent Richardson at 6 (May even be BPA at this point anyway) because he does give us this big play threat that we currently don't have?

Personally I think that if TR is sitting there at 6 and we have struck out on RG3, we look for a trade partner who does want/need the best RB in the class.

Interested in people's thoughts on this.

(Hope this is the best thread to use!)

Personally I think that if TR is sitting there at 6 and we have struck out on RG3, we look for a trade partner who does want/need the best RB in the class.

i'd be good with that. in fact, i'd probably be mad if we didnt do trade back. of course, i'd prefer getting RG3, but TR is the #3 rated overall prospect on the board. someone would give up some picks for him.

If the Shanahans pick up Peyton I swear I will..........

The only way I see us getting Peyton is if the Colts release him because of the 28 Million dollar bonus. we have the cap room so we can get him without giving up picks. Now think about it. If he is healthy enough to play at a high level for 2 or 3 years I would do it. we can use our 6th pick to get some great players that will be there if both QBs go before us, including OL or WR or CB. Then we have some interest prospects at QB that we can pickup in the 4th to 5th round like Moore and sit them behind one of the best QBs ever learning. in the mean time because of our 6th pick and our 2nd and 3rd round high picks we can add the rest of the pieces we need for a major push into the playoffs/SB. Manning had the Colts winning divisions/playoff games with what we all know know to be average at best overall team.

To me this is a very attractive scenario dude.

But that kinda leads me to my next point. Heard a lot of chat about how we don't have the real offensive game-breakers that other teams do, making people miss and turning small-medium gains into BIG ones. Following that line of thought, if Griffin has gone by the time we pick, obviously Blackmon has a chance of being that, but what do people think (and there are several mock drafts who are suggesting this, and even given that most people think we are set here) of us taking Trent Richardson at 6 (May even be BPA at this point anyway) because he does give us this big play threat that we currently don't have?

I'd hate it in theory. Royster and Helu did 100 plus yards in practically every start. Our Wrs are mediocre at best. Our running game came along towards the end of the season. Shanny's forte is finding Rbs later in the draft. I get Richardson is special. but still, few teams these days take Rb's in the top 10, its not a running league anymore and running backs have short shelf lives. If we don't go QB and don't go Blackmon, I'd go for Reiff or Martin to play RT but they have the ability to play LT if Trent gets suspended or trade down get a WR like Jeffrey or Floyd and add picks.

I'd hate it in theory. Royster and Helu did 100 plus yards in practically every start. Our Wrs are mediocre at best. Our running game came along towards the end of the season. Shanny's forte is finding Rbs later in the draft. I get Richardson is special. but still, few teams these days take Rb's in the top 10, its not a running league anymore and running backs have short shelf lives. If we don't go QB and don't go Blackmon, I'd go for Reiff or Martin to play RT but they have the ability to play LT if Trent gets suspended or trade down get a WR like Jeffrey or Floyd and add picks.

I agree with this. The weak link (besides TW getting hurt and then getting suspended) was Brown at RT. if we get a stud there plus Williams gets his s**t together we will have an extremely solid OL. that is why I said with that type of line, and our two young WR and two great receiving TEs, Manning can have a field day at QB.

Problem with the Manning thing is that if the Colts let him walk that probably means they know something others don't about how healthy he really is and whether or not they believe he can still play at a high level. I don't care if he is going to be 36 soon...if Peyton is healthy and they believe he can play at the same level as he has in the past they will keep him. This isn't a 36 year old "good" QB or a running QB who has had plenty of injuries over the years. He is a future first ballot hall of famer who is a pure pocket passer and has never been injured before; they tend to have a longer shelf life. Hell, Favre played until he was, what, 60? If the Colts let him go I would be wary about picking him up unless we are completely sure he is healthy.

Problem with the Manning thing is that if the Colts let him walk that probably means they know something others don't about how healthy he really is and whether or not they believe he can still play at a high level. I don't care if he is going to be 36 soon...if Peyton is healthy and they believe he can play at the same level as he has in the past they will keep him. This isn't a 36 year old "good" QB or a running QB who has had plenty of injuries over the years. He is a future first ballot hall of famer who is a pure pocket passer and has never been injured before; they tend to have a longer shelf life. Hell, Favre played until he was, what, 60? If the Colts let him go I would be wary about picking him up unless we are completely sure he is healthy.

If that is the case then the colts will need to trade the pick for more picks because as their team Manning is going to have a hell of a time to bring them back to winning more than 9 or 10 games. Also don't forget the Colts may not have a choice since Manning is due 28 million bonus. That is a lot of money to pay a QB and then draft a QB number 1 overall even under the new rules. That means the Colts will need to fork over this year over 50 million just for one position. If they are going to keep Peyton the smart play is to trade the pick, get OL help, get WR help. They needed badly.

I think if they keep Peyton they trade the #1 pick. If they keep Peyton and pay him that money it means they believe he is healthy and is good to go which means he probably has 2-3 more good years left in him. As others have said before, I don't see Luck and Manning coexisting on the same team.

Fisher is going with the Rams: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/jeff-fisher-picks-the-rams/

Hasn't it been previously speculated that this could only help our chances of trading up to #2, given a prior relationship and a perceived mutual respect between Shanny & Fisher? I haven't personally read anything about their relationship, but wasn't it brought up at some point in this thread? I guess the one constant remains that the Rams are unlikely to trade/release Bradford and could use extra picks to fill a number of holes, which would lead one to think they'd be open to trading down.

"League sources" tell NFL.com's Steve Wyche the Browns are hoping to land Baylor QB Robert Griffin III in April's draft.

Wyche delivered the info in the middle of a mock draft, but it's still notable as the first semi-confirmation of something that has been speculated for weeks. The Browns would likely have to acquire St. Louis' No. 2 overall pick to ensure landing the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner, but with both the No. 4 and No. 22 selections, they are in excellent position to trade up. The Browns have made it clear Colt McCoy will face competition in 2012, and if it's in the form of Griffin, it's a competition he'd almost certainly lose.

If true, this will put a big downer on my day

"League sources" tell NFL.com's Steve Wyche the Browns are hoping to land Baylor QB Robert Griffin III in April's draft.

Wyche delivered the info in the middle of a mock draft, but it's still notable as the first semi-confirmation of something that has been speculated for weeks. The Browns would likely have to acquire St. Louis' No. 2 overall pick to ensure landing the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner, but with both the No. 4 and No. 22 selections, they are in excellent position to trade up. The Browns have made it clear Colt McCoy will face competition in 2012, and if it's in the form of Griffin, it's a competition he'd almost certainly lose.

Gah, I hope this isn't true. We'd be pretty much done if we tried to compete with Cleveland.

Gah, I hope this isn't true. We'd be pretty much done if we tried to compete with Cleveland.
Well I saw that coming, but was hoping they'd be enticed to grab Flynn. Son of A...

"League Sources" are wrong just about as much as they're right. The Browns would be better if they got Flynn to compete and went with a combo of running back, wide reciever, and linebacker with their two picks in the first. Instant upgrades all over the place

Oh well next year we will have a pick of Barkley, Wilson, Geno Smith, Landry Jones, and EJ Manuel. Not even counting Bray, Logan Thomas, and Pete Thomas.

"League Sources" are wrong just about as much as they're right. The Browns would be better if they got Flynn to compete and went with a combo of running back, wide reciever, and linebacker with their two picks in the first. Instant upgrades all over the place

Yeah, I hope they see that as well. For some reason, RG3 doesn't seem like a fit for them. Holmgren may be trying to get Flynn to be his Hasselbeck.

Oh well next year we will have a pick of Barkley, Wilson, Geno Smith, Landry Jones, and EJ Manuel. Not even counting Bray, Logan Thomas, and Pete Thomas.

If we bring in Flynn i can live with that....but not if Rex is the qb again. If we go into next season with Rex at the helm and win 4 games i dont see Shanny being here much longer.

Archived