Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

This is going to be an absolutely sickening 3 months. This board is literally going to catch fire on draft day, one way or another. I don't envy the mods. There's no way that it's going to be able to handle the madness that ensues.

It'll be the scene of a bikini clad Beyonce handing out free Concords stuffed with $100 bills in NYC on Black Friday.

The only thing worse (and I again I'm affected by what I've already experienced first hand) is if we get him at high cost and the results are well under the expectations..

I mean that's kind of just a general rule always. I mean the flip side of that coin is if we spend a TON and he performs OVER expectations then it will have been worth it. Hindsight is always 20/20

I mean that's kind of just a general rule always. I mean the flip side of that coin is if we spend a TON and he performs OVER expectations then it will have been worth it. Hindsight is always 20/20

Perry, have you been at the other kind of bar? :ols:

Perry, have you been at the other kind of bar? :ols:

Mayyyyyyyyybeeeeeeeee.....but seriously i wouldn't mind paying over "chart value" if it turns out he ends up being a perennial stud for 10+ years. Of course you have no way to know that at the time but neither can you know that he'll disappoint based on what we would give for him.....sooooooooo long story short, have another Glenlivet 15 yr and sit back relax and enjoy......i mean thats what im doing....

If Cleveland signs Flynn, AND the Rams and Vikings refuse to trade down...that could be the best possible scenario for us. Because we'd get RG3 without moving at all.

Yup, the more i think about this the more i think it could happen. The Browns could really do some damage with what 3 picks in the top 35. They could add 3 starters to their terrible O and help ouit McCoy. But idk. Like someone said the other day on the radio. They think the Browns will pass on RGIII b/c the HC wont be there for another 3 years to let him develop if they keep being at the bottom of the division. He needs to show improvement NOW. And by adding say Richardson and a guy like Floyd if he drops that far would really help out the team....:whoknows:

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 07:29 AM ----------

We've (mods) been imagining what a zoo this would be like if our guys decide to take someone not a top 3 board choice. It will be unbearable in here, though I have always said it's silly to get all wound up about any "favorite" given history, even of all teams in the league, where they frequently take someone other than the #1 (or #2) fave that their fan base developed early crushes on.

I was thinking this on the way in today. After reading TK's post last night that we shouldn't get too attached to one player. I was thinking how mad i would be if something like what happened last year happened again. Having RGIII fall to us and then getting a call for Miami or the Seahawks and they offer us a deal that we can't pass up for him. I would prob be so mad if i head "the pick has been traded" that i would prob just turn my TV off and not even care who we drafted.

It's pretty clear that a lot of us on here want RGIII....BAD!! I just need to accept the fact that there is a real good possibility that we dont get him. The sooner i do that the easier this off-season will be.

But if we do get him i will be online the next day pre-ordering my RGIII jersey....:ols:

If Cleveland signs Flynn, AND the Rams and Vikings refuse to trade down...that could be the best possible scenario for us. Because we'd get RG3 without moving at all.

Not only this is the best possible scenario but the most likely also. I just don't see the Rams and the Vikings willing to trade unless they get something crazy and the "crazy" will come from Seattle or Miami not us. Otherwise both teams can use OL and WR so why take a chance if they have their minds set on a player. Now when the Rams pick maybe the Vikings trade the pick if say the Rams pick the player they wanted and that player is Kalil, because most likely the Viking want a WR like Blackmon. The problem is the Browns are also in the market for him you would think so they are not trading back. Tampa will probably pick Claiborne so RGIII will fall to us. And also think about it this way. if you are ok with you QB and I believe the Browns are saying they might be, what is the best way to help him out? Either a stud OLman or an Elite runner. The Browns will probably have both there for the taking. I just don't see them reaching for another QB that is not really a WC offense type of QB to begin with. hell with their pick they can go elite RB, WR and with their second pick OL and McCoy will have weapons and protection to get him producing.

Miami and Seattle are just too far away with their number one pick to make it valuable enough for a team like the Rams or the Vikings unless again they give the house and i don't think they will.

A reporter who covers the Vikings said and it was published in ESPN not long ago, that they will actively try to trade down and address multiple needs. A Cleveland reporter, in one of the articles i believe published on the board somewhere talked about Holmgren's propensity to trade down.

Then we got the Rams and Tampa skipping the idea of adding picks too. We'd have to get incredibly lucky for all this to go down. A guy from NFLscout web site was asked about this in a Q & A on twitter recently, about RG falling to the Skins at #6 -- his response was no chance.

Anything could happen. I'd love to see it happen but it just seems way counter intuitive to me.

Edit: Not every team telegraphs their moves in advance. so also for this to unfold, Shanny would have to be willing to sacrifice not getting RG 3, and if so I would doubt he's that smitten by him, because IMO if he really wants him bad he wouldn't take big chances like hoping he just ends up at his pick.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

Now when the Rams pick maybe the Vikings trade the pick if say the Rams pick the player they wanted and that player is Kalil, because most likely the Viking want a WR like Blackmon.

Both teams have multiple needs. If I were the Rams and someone offers me their #1 next year and their #2 this year, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You get the Dolphins pick for example you still likely land Reiff or Martin to be your left tackle, and then get a WR in the early 2nd like Toon or whomever, heck or even another O lineman like Sanders. And then you pick up a #1 for next year from a team that likely will have a high #1.

The Vikings ditto. Then you also have to have the Browns and Tampa skip on the idea of trading down just a little and likely gettting a first rounder next year and a 2nd this one. Lets say this was the Redskins who didn't need a franchise QB, would you really skip on adding a #1 next year and a 2nd rounder to drop 5 or 6 places in the draft? I'd do it in 2 seconds.

If I were the Browns, with Holmgren's apparent liking of trading down, and i was getting no offers, I'd call lets say the Dolphins and say look you can have RG 3, cheap. give me a 2nd rounder and you got him. Why not?

Will someone clarify the rules on draft order for me? Can we trade up to the 2nd or 3rd pick before draft day, or is draft order only something that can be jockeyed on the day of the draft? Thanks.

You have to wait until the season starts which is like the 2nd week of March (when free agency and trading period begins).

Rams and Vikings would be stupid to trade in advance though...they'll want to hold off to try to get the best compensation as possible.

Will someone clarify the rules on draft order for me? Can we trade up to the 2nd or 3rd pick before draft day, or is draft order only something that can be jockeyed on the day of the draft? Thanks.

In 2000 we traded our 12, 24 in the 1st round and a 4th and 5th round pick to acquire the 9ers 2nd overall pick in late February. Things have probably changed since then.

In 2000 we traded our 12, 24 in the 1st round and a 4th and 5th round pick to acquire the 9ers 2nd overall pick in late February. Things have probably changed since then.

That is when the league year started. This year the league year starts on March 1st. Trades can't happen until then.

That is when the league year started. This year the league year starts on March 1st. Trades can't happen until then.

Yep, and let's not forget that it was Vinny who made the trade back then and I believe the pick was Lavar. Glad the Vinny days are over.:)

Im just not sure what i think Cleveland would do if RGIII was sitting at their pick without having to trade for him. I think it makes sense for them to pass on him, or trade with us, but I think my heart might explode while they were on the clock if it a took a long time haha

Thank god the time has been reduced from 15 to 10 minutes.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 11:57 AM ----------

Dude, on a personal level (and from 50 years of being a 'skins fan), I want it so bad I'm devoting extra effort to not get too giddy about the very real possibility :D

I hear ya

I've said it once & even put it in my "predictions" thread.

I'll say it again...

IF....the Redskins decide to trade up to the #1 or #2 pick, to get either Luck or RG3?

It will happen BEFORE draft day.

It is my assessment that the Redskins & specifically Bruce Allen will know, that if they have any chance at moving up to those picks, that it benefits doing so EARLY rather than waiting for the chaos to begin on draft day. Where teams can change their minds, team staff members talk to draftees and many things can change according to their plans.

Could it cost?

Absolutely.

But I look at this as the Redskins buying stock. Are they willing to pay a little more for this stock NOW? And already have their decision or pick locked in...?

Or wait till draft day & possibly get in a bidding war with teams that have changed their minds, plans or whatever.

I'm saying....

IF...we are planning on drafting Luck or RG3?

We will ALL KNOW, ahead of time. Before the day of the draft.

If we have not traded up, before that exciting day.....it will not happen.

We will NOT trade up. You heard it here first!

Now we could trade down.

That is always certainly possible.

Those decision can even be, last minute decisions.

I would actually expect too...if we don't trade up. (if RG3 doesn't fall)

But if we get RG3 or Luck, we will know early on.(hours,days...maybe even weeks before the draft)

Because we will have the #1 or #2 pick before that day.

That's my take anyways.

Don't ask me why I know this....

It's just a feeling I have, friends.

It's happened before, but it is very rare.

If we draft RG3 it won't be at our current #6 position. When the pick gets to St. Louis they will call QB needy teams and offer a trade down scenario stating they are talking to so and so team even if they are not. If the trade doesn't happen it will go to the Vikings snd they will do the same thing. Even if it gets past the Browns and on to Tampa Bay, they do the same thing. We most likely will draft RG3 if given the chance, but again the chance of it occurring at #6 is slim to none.

I've said it once & even put it in my "predictions" thread.

I'll say it again...

IF....the Redskins decide to trade up to the #1 or #2 pick, to get either Luck or RG3?

It will happen BEFORE draft day.

If it is before, it will be like one week. What do the Rams gain by trading early? Seriously. Everyone expects RG3's value to rise after combine, individual workouts, and pro-days.

Why wouldn't you wait? It makes absolutely no sense. Furthermore, why wouldn't the Redskins wait?

Let's say we make the trade and then four days later the Browns sign Flynn. Now what?

If there is a trade it will happen the day of. MAAAAYBE I can see a few days before, but that's it.

If it is before, it will be like one week. What do the Rams gain by trading early? Seriously. Everyone expects RG3's value to rise after combine, individual workouts, and pro-days.

Why wouldn't you wait? It makes absolutely no sense. Furthermore, why wouldn't the Redskins wait?

Let's say we make the trade and then four days later the Browns sign Flynn. Now what?

If there is a trade it will happen the day of. MAAAAYBE I can see a few days before, but that's it.

Yes, it would be after the Combine, workouts, pro day, etc.

Specially with the Redskins Staff & Vikings getting close ups this season.

The Browns are the serious wildcard. Why would the Rams not stay pat and pick Kalil?

Vikings can also use the services of Blackmon or any other elite skill position @3. Same goes for Tampa. Besides us, Seahawks or Miami are the other two teams in need for a QB but their pick in the first may not be enticing enough (Unless they pull a Falcons like offer).

But the Browns can possibly take RG3 and in my eyes that's who can really ruin the chances of him falling to 6.

Q & A from today, Kiper

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42034/football-guru-mel-kiper

Jamie (BFE)

What would it take for KC to move from 10-11 to 3rd and pick RGIII?

Mel Kiper

(1:05 PM)

For KC, you're talking about giving up your first pick and some picks after that. They'd be in a position where they could make that move up. But they'll be in competition. I think the team that could move up is Miami. For Cleveland, I keep hearing that maybe they make a move for Matt Flynn. Green Bay will probably franchise him and trade him. Cleveland has that extra first round pick from Atlant. Washington might be interested in Peyton Manning. St. Louis and Minnesota could be looking to trade down.

Will (DC)

What's your best guess as to how Washington will approach fixing the QB position?

Mel Kiper

(1:56 PM)

Peyton Manning is the big option. You keep hearing they make a push for him. Mike Shanahan can't afford to misfire on another QB. His evaluation of QBs has been shaky. They went out to get McNabb. He gave the job to Rex Grossman. They went with John Beck. That all didn't work. Do they go after Matt Flynn? They might not go after him. RGIII in the draft is someone they'd have to move up to get. AFter him, there's no one else to go get. Mike Shanahan needs to start winning some games.

Archived