Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

If so then for Shanny it'll be

Drafting a QB: You're doing it wrong

Letting people who are successfully employed in a highly competitive and specialized field know just what ignorant ****-ups they are is simply the God-given duty of dedicated internet commandos. :pfft:

In the stadium, it's just professional football people who are under fire. Play in the tailgate for awhile and you'll behold the magnificence of salesman, college students of all ages, bartenders, mechanics, small business owners, unemployed folks, painters, landscapers, etc etc take to task endless numbers of highly credentialed scientists, constitutional scholars, highly regarded Phds, medical professionals, historians, engineers, etc etc. :D

Message boards---where ego-joins-ignorance and the progeny reigns triumphant! :evilg:

(yes yes, to dissuade the reflex response of those hyper-sensitive to any "appeal to authority" suggestion, I am just playing...mainly. ;))

That still doesn't say to me that they intend to trade up for RGIII.

But the thing is, I bet they don't know that either. Most teams are just getting started with their draft evaluations and the combine is still a month and a half away. I would be shocked if trading up for RGIII is already ruled off the table in Cleveland. I don't think they should do it, but it wouldn't surprise me if rumors came out that they wanted him 2 months from now.

We've (mods) been imagining what a zoo this would be like if our guys decide to take someone not a top 3 board choice. It will be unbearable in here, though I have always said it's silly to get all wound up about any "favorite" given history, even of all teams in the league, where they frequently take someone other than the #1 (or #2) fave that their fan base developed early crushes on.

Its going to be crazy around if he is picked by us too. Superbowl perdiction will be thrown around here.

Plan A. Get RG III. Plan B. Get the QB from whatever team does get him for a 4th round draft pick.

RG III is going to be the starter on whatever team gets him. if there's any consolation, that team's former QB can be procured for a song.

Shanny and Allen have to play it close to the vest. It's like buying a car. You don't walk in wearing a sign that you'll pay anything for a new car. You want to pay the minimum it's going to cost you. The only way to guarantee you get Griffin is to have the 2nd pick. The Rams need WR and OL and they don't want to pay #2 money for either after shelling out a fortune for Bradford. (Proof postive, BTW, that no QB can carry your team alone.) So the Skins want the #2, realizing their #6 is just the starting point in these negotiations. The real question is "what are the other teams who want RG III willing to offer?" That's where some networking comes in. While talking with the recently fired Tampa coach, I'm sure the question of what the management (not the coaching staff) thought of RG III came up. Same question if these guys have firends or former players on the other players, if they can talk without betraying their own team or management.

Cleveland, Miami, Tampa. and half the NFL could use an upgrade at QB. Shanny and Allen have to figure out who the competition is and what the competition is willing to pay before they figure out their bid. If they figure wrong, someone else gets RG III. If they overbid, then Washington can't get RG III the weapons he'll need for a long time. It's not just a matter of "Give everything." even if the wish is that it could be that simple.

my worst nightmare is that the rams and viking like kalil/blackmon(interchangably) too much and wont trade down, letting cleaveland grab RGIII, and us with no chance at him

If the Rams and Vikings are completely unwilling to trade, why couldn't we trade with Cleveland? Heckert loves trading down for extra picks.

my worst nightmare is that the rams and viking like kalil/blackmon(interchangably) too much and wont trade down, letting cleaveland grab RGIII, and us with no chance at him

If Cleveland signs Flynn, AND the Rams and Vikings refuse to trade down...that could be the best possible scenario for us. Because we'd get RG3 without moving at all.

If the Rams and Vikings are completely unwilling to trade, why couldn't we trade with Cleveland? Heckert loves trading down for extra picks.

Im just not sure what i think Cleveland would do if RGIII was sitting at their pick without having to trade for him. I think it makes sense for them to pass on him, or trade with us, but I think my heart might explode while they were on the clock if it a took a long time haha

If Cleveland signs Flynn, AND the Rams and Vikings refuse to trade down...that could be the best possible scenario for us. Because we'd get RG3 without moving at all.

True, i wasnt really taking Flynn into account. But that would be fantastic.

Definitely would be fantastic. My dream scenario right now, but I just don't see us being that lucky.

I agree. Either we trade up to #2 or we stay where we're at. None of this "trade up to #3" BS. Why go part way when one more step will guarantee us one of the two guys we want.

St Louis, from the people here, isn't enamored with one guy or the other. They want one of the top WRs and possibly an OT also.

We've (mods) been imagining what a zoo this would be like if our guys decide to take someone not a top 3 board choice. It will be unbearable in here, though I have always said it's silly to get all wound up about any "favorite" given history, even of all teams in the league, where they frequently take someone other than the #1 (or #2) fave that their fan base developed early crushes on.

so are you saying ordering my RG3 skins Jersey isn't a good idea yet?

so are you saying ordering my RG3 skins Jersey isn't a good idea yet?

Dude, on a personal level (and from 50 years of being a 'skins fan), I want it so bad I'm devoting extra effort to not get too giddy about the very real possibility :D

What if Tampa takes him?

You say the Rams and Minnesota want to stand still, and Cleveland acquires Flynn....What about Tampa?

No, just no. They were 10-6 in Josh Freemans first season as a starter. He's young, talented and all he needs is some more weapons around him. I don't think I've seen a single mock draft that predicts him going to Tampa. Just not happening.

ha ha, the interwebz could explode. The epicenter of the explosion would be ES.

The only thing worse (and I again I'm affected by what I've already experienced first hand) is if we get him at high cost and the results are well under the expectations..

IF he's actually able to play, i'd say its a 50/50 shot, at the moment, i dont know if he's going to even be healthy next year. 28 mill is alot of dough for a lame duck, and i'm not sure peyton wants that gig.

That is the whole point of the Polians being fired they did not have a back up plan if Manning went down so I do not expect Indy to pass on a qb but they do not want to have the same season they had this year. A 75% Manning is better than 90% of the quarterbacks in the league. I agree 28 million is alot but for Manning and 10 wins for the next 2 to 3 years and a chance to win a Super Bowl is worth the 28 million. and a young up and coming qb sitting in the wings. Hell I would take that here.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 12:37 AM ----------

I agree with you for now, but wait until after the combine to say that Holmgren really wouldn't be interested. I have a feeling that the cost of trading up for RGIII will skyrocket after the combine, as it always does for the sensationally athletic prospects.

I really do not think Holmgren likes first round quarterbacks. Has Holmgren ever drafted a quarterback in the first round?

Griffin looks to be a smart kid too, and comes from a great family.

Personal:  Son of Robert Sr. and Jacqueline Griffin, Robert Lee Griffin III was born Feb. 12, 1990, in Japan... Father is retired U.S. military... Graduated No. 7 in senior class... Graduated from Baylor in December 2010 with degree in political science ... Has aspirations of attending law school.

Archived