Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The People Who Stand Still On Down Escalators Thread.

Hubbs

Maybe they are just overwhelmed/confused that they are actually working that they don't know what to do. Or they are just enjoying the one time a year it is working.

:ols:

This is so true.

When was the last time you visited Foggy Bottom? Two+ years now and we still don't have all the escalators fully functioning at the metro stop. :doh:

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 08:55 AM ----------

Again, so the beef is with people who don't understand to stand to the right, not people who don't walk down escalators...It's an escalator, the whole point is for it to move you.

Yeah I don't care if they stand on the right side, although it seems like a waste of time to me personally.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 08:56 AM ----------

^^ that one I could deal with! And I've had to ride down some of the longer ones...Bethesda, Union Station, Foggy Bottom....Bethesda terrifies me on weekends with all the drunk people...I would have a heart attack if I saw someone fall down an escalator.

Are you sure you are thinking of the right stations? Foggy Bottom and Union Station escalators are not big at all.

:ols:

This is so true.

When was the last time you visited Foggy Bottom? Two+ years now and we still don't have all the escalators fully functioning at the metro stop. :doh:

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 08:55 AM ----------

Yeah I don't care if they stand on the right side, although it seems like a waste of time to me personally.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 08:56 AM ----------

Are you sure you are thinking of the right stations? Foggy Bottom and Union Station escalators are not big at all.

I could have sworn Union had huge escalators, then again this was like 7 years ago...I'm trying to remember where we hung out when we cut class in high school haha I know we'd go down to Gonzaga, Bethesda, Rockville, or go shopping in Georgetown. Maybe I'm thinking of DuPont but we didn't go there very much. But even the stop at Chinatown has a huge escalator...I just don't like them in general :(

Your not the only one. The people who stand still should be thrown in jail. Especially the flat ones at the airport. Those things are awesome when you need to eat up some real-estate. Until you run into the crowd of standers. I bowl em right over. Excuse me, excuse me, pardon me, coming through. I will crowd them as I pass too. **** em. I got **** to do.

I can't walk down really long escalators without taking a break. I don't know if it's a heights issue (I am scared of heights) or what, and it's kind of hard to describe, but it's like there's so much downward force that I almost miss steps and my legs will give out.

i generally go down up and down the stairs, where available... but i prefer to go up the stairs rather than down-- and i much more inclined to just stand there on the down ride on an escalator than on the up ride.

Question::::: Does anyone else get this ...? when going down stairs hurriedly, i am fine for about 50 or 75 stairs (i have never counted) but then suddenly at some point the signal to my brain for quickly taking all of those little steps starts to get scrambled a little, and it gets hard to go fast... it is not being tired, it is just that my brain seems programmed to handle the rapid little steps in some finite amount, and if it goes beyond that finite amount, it gets switched to a different more ponderous part of my brain, and i have to actually concentrate a little bit on what i am doing, and it is much less fluid and smooth. it moves fromthe muscle memory lizard part of my brain, to my frontal active control part of my brain? anyone else?

I can't walk down really long escalators without taking a break. I don't know if it's a heights issue (I am scared of heights) or what, and it's kind of hard to describe, but it's like there's so much downward force that I almost miss steps and my legs will give out.
i generally go down up and down the stairs, where available... but i prefer to go up the stairs rather than down-- and i much more inclined to just stand there on the down ride on an escalator than on the up ride.

Question::::: Does anyone else get this ...? when going down stairs hurriedly, i am fine for about 50 or 75 stairs (i have never counted) but then suddenly at some point the signal to my brain for quickly taking all of those little steps starts to get scrambled a little, and it gets hard to go fast... it is not being tired, it is just that my brain seems programmed to handle the rapid little steps in some finite amount, and if it goes beyond that finite amount, it gets switched to a different more ponderous part of my brain, and i have to actually concentrate a little bit on what i am doing, and it is much less fluid and smooth. it moves fromthe muscle memory lizard part of my brain, to my frontal active control part of my brain? anyone else?

Yes I understand completely. The coordination between the eyes, brain, and the legs decides to take a break and what started out as simply one step in front of the other becomes a difficult challenge to keep up with. This happens to me when an escalator isn't moving and many people are hurriedly rushing down it trying to catch their next train. The main culprit is that escalator steps are wider than usual steps such as in a house, building, etc. Our minds get tripped up by this.

Broken Escalator Phenomenon

But even the stop at Chinatown has a huge escalator...I just don't like them in general :(

No....no it doesn't. I work in Chinatown and ride this escalator frequently....I'm not sure what you're talking about, it's no bigger than a department store escalator. Are you sure you've ridden the D.C. Metro :ols:

I want to say this up front so there's no confusion: I'm not in any way trying to be sarcastic or somehow make a joke at your expense. This is an honest question, because I've really never heard of this before and want to cure myself of some ignorance. People who have a fear of heights can be afraid of long stairways/escalators, even though it's not a straight drop? Is it the same sort of feeling as you would feel on a ledge?

Coming from AC an old lady in front of me tumbled down the escalator, I caught her but it was kind of like a weird continuous roll because she kept falling and the escalator kept going up. I practically saved her life.

So I can understand the fear of falling because it can happen.

Archived