Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The People Who Stand Still On Down Escalators Thread.

Hubbs

So there you are, at 8:20 on a Monday morning, hustling to catch the Metro on your way to work. You quickly walk up to the long escalator that will drop you into the bowels of Washington's favorite subway system. In front of you, several people who also appear to be heading to work board the same escalator, as there is only one. You've just seen them walking, so you know they're quite capable of doing so. They're not checking their phones, not reading a paper, not engaged in some sort of animated conversation. There doesn't appear to be anything at all that would be distracting them from their main task, transportation. Yet as soon as their feet hit the moving steps, they all stop, content to simply stand there and look around as the escalator chugs along.

Am I the only one who's befuddled by this?

I understand standing still if you're carrying luggage, or some other heavy object. I understand if you're doing something on your phone, or making a call, or reading, or looking at a map, or anything else that requires you to look somewhere other than where you're going. I definitely understand it if you've got a small child with you. I even understand standing still without any of the above on an escalator that's going up, lazy as it might seem. But going down? It's too much of an effort to walk down stairs? How is this possible?

(Yes, I'm trying to avoid the Stadium at the moment.)

Heck, I like running up escalators. (And stairs.)

In fact, years ago, when I read that the DuPont Circle Metro station had the longest escalator in the free world, I immediately had to go there when it wasn't busy, and run up the down escalator.

(OK, it was decades ago.)

It's a funny thing about me. I can run up stairs, two at a time, quite easily. Without really getting much tired.

But walking up a flight of stairs, one at a time? I'm exhausted after one floor.

Esclators are supposed to move for you.

They aren't stairs.

Although I usually do walk if it's a short escalator.

I do notice however that terrifying long escalators are sometimes less frightening if you keep walking...unfortunately it's hard to do that with all those steps.

I don't like heights and will take an elevator if one is handy over an escalator. However, when forced on a down escalator, I get on, move to the right and don't move. I leave room for others to go around me but I'm always afraid I'll be bumped and fall.

So, don't assume that people are lazy if the don't walk down a down escalator. They may be afraid to be on it. I had to do the Dupont Circle escalator 1 time, never again.

Esclators are supposed to move for you.

They aren't stairs.

Although I usually do walk if it's a short escalator.

I do notice however that terrifying long escalators are sometimes less frightening if you keep walking...unfortunately it's hard to do that with all those steps.

I don't like heights and will take an elevator if one is handy over an escalator. However, when forced on a down escalator, I get on, move to the right and don't move. I leave room for others to go around me but I'm always afraid I'll be bumped and fall.

So, don't assume that people are lazy if the don't walk down a down escalator. They may be afraid to be on it. I had to do the Dupont Circle escalator 1 time, never again.

I want to say this up front so there's no confusion: I'm not in any way trying to be sarcastic or somehow make a joke at your expense. This is an honest question, because I've really never heard of this before and want to cure myself of some ignorance. People who have a fear of heights can be afraid of long stairways/escalators, even though it's not a straight drop? Is it the same sort of feeling as you would feel on a ledge?

I want to say this up front so there's no confusion: I'm not in any way trying to be sarcastic or somehow make a joke at your expense. This is an honest question, because I've really never heard of this before and want to cure myself of some ignorance. People who have a fear of heights can be afraid of long stairways/escalators, even though it's not a straight drop? Is it the same sort of feeling as you would feel on a ledge?

Not for me and I hate heights. ACW hit it on the head though. Stand on the right, Walk on the left.

I don't go on ledges much, but I definitely get nervous going up some of those long escalators in the metro.

(the last couple times going down though didn't bother me nearly as much as I expected, and I just went down quickly)

Oddly I don't remember being very afraid when I was hiking on various mountains in Arizona a year or so ago.

I do get some vertigo if I have to jump down a good distance though.

To the original topic, there really shouldn't be a problem with people stopping on an escalator if it's only on one side.

Not for me and I hate heights. ACW hit it on the head though. Stand on the right, Walk on the left.

Oh, definitely. One of the drawbacks of this city being such a tourist destination is that not enough people know that rule.

I have never heard you are expected to walk on an escalator. I think you are in the wrong. Just my two cents. As someone said. Stand on the right, walk on the left if you are in such a hurry.

To the original topic, there really shouldn't be a problem with people stopping on an escalator if it's only on one side.

There isn't. The problem is how often it isn't only on one side.

---------- Post added November-6th-2011 at 06:12 PM ----------

I have never heard you are expected to walk on an escalator. I think you are in the wrong. Just my two cents. As someone said. Stand on the right, walk on the left if you are in such a hurry.

You think I'm in the wrong for merely wondering why so many people stop walking on a down escalator? I'm not telling people who want to stand on the right that they shouldn't.

I think it's a DC thing honestly.

But yes, unwritten rule. Stand on the right, walk on the left. Slow lane, fast lane. I'd say that they should put signs up, but nobody would bother reading them anyhow.

Certainly not just a DC thing. Have you been to an airport lately with the people movers ?

You think I'm in the wrong for merely wondering why so many people stop walking on a down escalator? I'm not telling people who want to stand on the right that they shouldn't.

Well I guess you are free to wonder.

I am glad I checked out of the metropolitan rat race a long time ago. I used to ride the DC subway daily, always in a hurry, so I feel your pain and understand your wonderment.

But an escalator is a ride, much like an elevator. Walking isn't a requirement.

I don't continue walking when on an escalator, unless I'm going to miss a connection or something like that. I look at it as if it's there to do the work for me so I'm just going to stand there and chill out.

FYI - The escalators in Newark Penn Station aren't wide enough for 2 people. Kind of like a one lane bridge.

Walk on the left, stand on the right :soapbox:

Exactly. Fast lane, slow lane policy should be protocol.

---------- Post added November-6th-2011 at 06:37 PM ----------

I think it's a DC thing honestly.

But yes, unwritten rule. Stand on the right, walk on the left. Slow lane, fast lane. I'd say that they should put signs up, but nobody would bother reading them anyhow.

No...it happens everywhere. Visit the Tube in London and you'll see.

Archived