Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Shanahan stumbling after wrong decisions at QB

#98QBKiller

this article is BS, he signed a 5-year contract worth millions, Snyder would lose a lot if he fired Shanahan.

He's done this before, loosing millions isn't going to hurt him. If we finish with 5-11 record, whats going to stop him from firing Mike?

He's done this before, loosing millions isn't going to hurt him. If we finish with 5-11 record, whats going to stop him from firing Mike?

The thought of NO coach will come here to coach this team. That's probably what's going to stop him. Besides isn't firing the head coach in the jurisdiction of the GM Bruce Allen not the owner?

The two year thing is poo flung at the wall.

Dan,s not out buying a yacht if he's even thinking about buying out a coach's contract & then paying a new coach to come in.

Besides, Shanny is a package deal with Bruce. And with Bruce, Dan has someone that actually loves this franchise more then he does.

It's going to take Bruce & Shanny a few more years here before the meadia & a good percentage of the fans understand that the old labels no longer apply to the Skins.

kevin sheehan and the author of the article are talking about the article on ESPN 980.

basically the author thinks that shanny has 2 years of losing before snyder starts to step into the decision making again. his sources are people that have talked to shanahan, especially when he first got here. kinda weak imo, and there are no quotes from anyone, its just sources that told the author that shanny thinks he has two years to prove himself. a lot of speculation and nothing concrete.

but losing seasons do bare down on the fanbase and on the owner, so its not unreasonable to think that snyder might start to get anxious. i dont think he will though, as i think shanny and allen have done a great job so far. maybe ill make a thread soon on just how bad it was when the new management came in.

look at all the other teams in the league with qb instability and lackluster play at the position. they are doing worse than us. you just cant be a good team in the nfl without good qb play, unless everything else is clicking perfectly.

The thought of NO coach will come here to coach this team. That's probably what's going to stop him. Besides isn't firing the head coach in the jurisdiction of the GM Bruce Allen not the owner?

Bruce Allen can't fire Shanahan. Shanahan is above him in the chain of command.

Anyway, Snyder will never have a problem hiring a coach because a dumptruck filled with dollars will get anyone to say yes.

He might have trouble getting a coach in demand.

And the only problem with is that we therefore do not have a QB.

That's the thing that have a solid QB does. Even a ****storm of a season like the Rams are having isn't all that bad' date=' because you know you have the most important piece in place for the long-term. I can think of a dozen ways to fix an o-line. I can think of a dozen ways to fix a secondary. I can only think of one way to fix the QB position.[/quote']

Except Bradford is starting to get beat the eff up behind a joke of an O Line. The kid could end up like Ramsey real soon if the Rams don't protect him.

Beck & Rex are merely keeping the drivers seat warm for when we're actually ready to drop a rookie in & let him drive. With limited depth on the OL & being severely limited at WR, we're better served with Bex this season. And most likely one of them next year as well.

It's going to take Bruce & Shanny a few more years here before the meadia & a good percentage of the fans understand that the old labels no longer apply to the Skins.

To be honest, the old labels really haven't applied for a long time. People still act like Snyder hasn't changed since 2001.

Like Gibbs, Shanahan probably will have all the time he wants to build a winner. Plus, last offseason doesn't look like the actions of someone who only thinks he has two years.

The article can say that, and to a point, it's accurate. Shanahan hasn't added a quarterback...

But who would he have added? Which FA should he have added this year? Which QB should he have added in the draft? FA would be tough, they would have had virtually no time to learn the system. Carson Palmer proved last week you can't just plug and play.

In the draft, Newton and Locker likely would have fit. Newton was way out of reach, Locker went early, Ponder went early. That left us with Gabbert, who Shanahan clearly didn't want, as he traded his rights away, essentially. And for the record, not that my football opinion is anywhere near Shanahan's, but I agree with that move.

What were the other options this past year?

His screw up was on McNabb and not getting a young QB instead. But since McNabb, there have been few options... Until this years offseason.

Dalton has done well with the Bengals.

I have no idea about the guy sitting on the in SF, but it isn't like we KNOW he can't play (they are getting good QB play out of Smith). There's the guy sitting on the bench in New England.

There were options out there. How good they will be long term, we don't know. The only thing we can say is that Shanahan decided not to take the chance.

It's hard to fault Shanahan. McNabb came off one of his best years, it was the ultimate lemon sale by Andy Reid. Work ethic is not an issue when you run the same offense for 13 years. For McNabb to have success in Shanahan's offense he would have had to put in the hours at Redskins Park.

We all thought it was a good deal at the time, no need for everyone to bash it now.

It's hard to fault Shanahan. McNabb came off one of his best years, it was the ultimate lemon sale by Andy Reid. Work ethic is not an issue when you run the same offense for 13 years. For McNabb to have success in Shanahan's offense he would have had to put in the hours at Redskins Park.

We all thought it was a good deal at the time, no need for everyone to bash it now.

There were quite a few people here at the time that said it wasn't a good idea. That even if McNabb was "good" that this team was more than a "good" QB away from really being competitive.

Not all of us. I didn't think it was a good deal at all, considering the state of the team. It ended up being an even worse deal than I thought it was going to be, but I never thought that he was going to be here long enough for us to make the trade worth it.

There were quite a few people here at the time that said it wasn't a good idea. That even if McNabb was "good" that this team was more than a "good" QB away from really being competitive.

Thats funny. Most people seem to feel that way now.

That being said. I thought the McNabb move was a good one at the time. He was comming off back to back 20+ TD seasons, and had another 4 good years left in the tank. Ultimatley we got fleeced and were lucky to sell him off for scrap parts. Shanahan made a good move at the time and it didn't pan out.

Thats funny. Most people seem to feel that way now.

That being said. I thought the McNabb move was a good one at the time. He was comming off back to back 20+ TD seasons, and had another 4 good years left in the tank. Ultimatley we got fleeced and were lucky to sell him off for scrap parts. Shanahan made a good move at the time and it didn't pan out.

I agree with this. The problem is Mike didn't have a plan B unless Kyle really convinced him that Rex could do the job and Mike was also convinced John Beck could do the job if Rex couldn't.

Rex appears to be done, the jury is still out on Beck. :whoknows:

The two year thing is poo flung at the wall.

Dan,s not out buying a yacht if he's even thinking about buying out a coach's contract & then paying a new coach to come in.

Besides, Shanny is a package deal with Bruce. And with Bruce, Dan has someone that actually loves this franchise more then he does.

For me it all comes down to this... For those who want Bruce and Shanny gone, are there better options? If so, what are they?

For me it all comes down to this... For those who want Bruce and Shanny gone, are there better options? If so, what are they?

Maybe Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher? But I'm not sure you can say that either of those 3 would easily be better than Shanny. If anything, Shanny is at least on par with those 3.

This is just all wrong a stupid. People should be held accountable for writing things they clearly didn't investigate.

the 2 year thing is just plain made up, and it wasn't "Jason isn't the answer, now there's 2 choices"...Jason would never have left if Donovan didn't come.

He hasn't 'failed' to find a QB since Donovan because he didn't take one. Because he didn't like one, and it was more important to build the team (which, ironically, the writer says Shanny overlooked)

White noise. Carry on.

Except Bradford is starting to get beat the eff up behind a joke of an O Line. The kid could end up like Ramsey real soon if the Rams don't protect him.

Beck & Rex are merely keeping the drivers seat warm for when we're actually ready to drop a rookie in & let him drive. With limited depth on the OL & being severely limited at WR, we're better served with Bex this season. And most likely one of them next year as well.

This to me sounds like the guy who doesn't want to get engaged "until the timing is right." You get into a cycle where it is never right.

I'm stealing this to another thread. Thanks.

Mike Shanahan was never going to have much time to make the Washington Redskins great again. He took the job as the team’s head coach telling people he thought he had two seasons before owner Daniel Snyder would want to run his team again.

Oh please :doh:... (BIG) IF he had said this to someone, I'm sure he was just saying it in jest (like in Spur and Zorn). Of course this writer saying that he had a short leash (as in "never"?) is a bigger joke.

"... Daniel Snyder would want to run his team again" :rotflmao:

since i started watching redskins football in the early 90's, the current coaching staff is the best that i have ever seen.

people dont understand how bad our team was at the end of the vinny era. shanny and friends have done a great job and should at minimum be allowed to be here until their QB selection in this draft pans out.

Archived