Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Shanahan stumbling after wrong decisions at QB

#98QBKiller

Similiar to Gibbs and the Brunell trade. If he doesn't make that trade, or makes a different decision at QB, Gibbs 2.0 is totally different

This is a great post. Isn't it funny how the more things change the more they stay the same with this team? Similar mistakes are made over and over again by different coaches and personell. It is pretty amazing when you really sit back and think about the years since 1992 how that has been the killer for us. One of these days it has to change doesn't it?

I can't believe some of you guys seriously want this coaching staff gone already...

Bring in an entire new staff, again, rebuild around his system for offense and defense, again, suck 2 years into it and fire the coaches, again. Seriously?! BWAHAhahHaA

If by year 4-5 we are still fumbling around other teams 3rd string QBs trying to make them stars, then I'll sing the praise. Shanny made a mistake on McNabb, so what? A lot of teams would have made that mistake. There really wasn't many options in this shortened offseason at QB, besides, if he would have traded MORE picks for another QB... you guys would be crying about that. No we didn't draft a QB, there could be tons of reasons for that... main reason IMO is we needed to stockpile picks. Shanny isn't stupid..he knows this team was a bag short of a full garbage pail when he got here. '' Shanny drafted really well which is something that has been lacking in a major major way...

Give him just a little time..jeez

What did the McNabb trade really cost us in terms of draft picks? We gave up a 2nd and 4th to get McNabb. Because we got McNabb we were able to get a 4th for Jason Campbell. So McNabb essentially cost us a 2d Round pick. We gave him up for a 6th Round pick. So it turns out we traded a 2d for McNabb and a 6th? Is that really steep? Especially the way this years draft played out with trading back?

Maybe Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher? But I'm not sure you can say that either of those 3 would easily be better than Shanny. If anything, Shanny is at least on par with those 3.

Seriously, how many coaches have we hired since Cowher gave it up?

If he was coming here, he'd be here. (And we'd have run him out of town the minute he didn't win 12 games in his first season.)

Besides, it took him 13 years to win a Super Bowl.

We can't even give a bona-fide coach (with more rings than all 3 of those guys) 2 years to clean up one of the worst run franchises in the game before we're ready to kick him to the curb.

I'd call this fan base impatient, but that would give impatient people a bad name.

We're positively stupid when it comes to this stuff.

If Shanahan is fired NOW, guess who will want to come here and coach?

People who are willing to put in a year and a half and retire to the south pacific with all the cash they'll make.

because that is the ONLY thing left to entice anyone.. and the bums who will take it will only care about one thing

$$.

That's it. They don't have a chance to build anything, so they may as well just grab and go.

~Bang

Bang by no means am I saying we should get rid of Shanny, I was just answering someone's question about what better options were out there. I don't think either of those 3 are any better than Shanahan. I say give Shanny his 5 years and we'll see where we're at after that.

I'd call this fan base impatient, but that would give impatient people a bad name.

We're positively stupid when it comes to this stuff.

Our fan base would run Bill Belichick out of here after going 0-4 in the pre-season.

If we don't give Mike and Bruce the full 5 years, I am not sure how invested I will be in the this team anymore.

Beck & Rex are merely keeping the drivers seat warm for when we're actually ready to drop a rookie in & let him drive. With limited depth on the OL & being severely limited at WR, we're better served with Bex this season. And most likely one of them next year as well.

TK, what's your gut feeling on what we do at QB next season? Take someone in the first/second rounds of the draft, go after someone in FA (although who would be available is a big question mark), or stick with what we have in Bex? I know a lot if the answer depends on how the rest of this season plays out, but was just curious on your thoughts.

I would think if this season plays out .500 or below with continued struggles on offense, standing pat would not be an option.

The amazing thing is that 3-3 in our division is being totally in the mix. Dallas and Philly play Sunday night. A loss for one of them. Giants schedule crazy tough. I'm pulling for Philly, Dallas has an easy run of supposedly winnable games coming up. The article was kind of typical. Beck and Shanahan cast aside as fodder. I love it.

Stuff changes so fast in the NFL. Detroit all the sudden looking vincible. Kansas looking terrible early, getting it together now. It's a long season.

TK, what's your gut feeling on what we do at QB next season? Take someone in the first/second rounds of the draft, go after someone in FA (although who would be available is a big question mark), or stick with what we have in Bex? I know a lot if the answer depends on how the rest of this season plays out, but was just curious on your thoughts.

I would think if this season plays out .500 or below with continued struggles on offense, standing pat would not be an option.

I think you already had the answer. Season has to play out first & see what happens in Free Agency first.

Here's the secret decoder ring though.:)

When Shanny had that year off, the teams he went to study at camps had a common theme besides running a 3-4. They inserted a rookie QB after they had the offensive pieces in tact. For example, the Steelers were on a decline until they gave the keys to Big Ben. Then they took off.Same with the Pats & Brady. That's our road map we're following. Shanny had done it previously with Cutler as well, though part of that was he was done with Jay for skipping that years "voluntary" mini camps.

Yes....get the vast majority of the pieces in place so the rookie QB is set up for success, not failure...that's the plan people. We are in the "get the majority of pieces in place" part of the plan. I really don't get why people don't understand that.

I'm no Snyder apologist, nor am I a huge Shana-fan, but El Dano is not going to step in if the team falters this year.

Yeah, this article is idiotic. If Snyder tried to pull some **** again many fans, myself included, would be done watching this fiasco repeat itself bi-annually.

Terrible article. Assumptions all around. The biggest one being WE ARE 3-3!!!!!!! We as fans certainly have reason to be pessimistic, but who says the season is over???
That is my point as well, who is to say that Beck has already failed in this offense after only 1 start with a makeshift o-line, losing his best receiver and RB. This article is just another stab at the Redskins organization. I hope to God our young receivers step up huge the rest of this season so we can see what we really have with Beck.

Very tough to rebuild in NY, Dallas and DC. Fans panic. Media starts berating players, coaches and ownership. And there's possibly too much merchandising and ad money at stake. And articles like this don't help.

But we're in a rebuild regardless. Shanny's trying to keep his players motivated, especially the veterans by not coming out and saying that outright. This is what rebuilding feels like. New faces, trial and error at key positions, inconsistent play, demoralizing losses and so forth. Let's hope we come out of this season with some idea of whether we have any good talent in Beck, Hankerson, Niles Paul, Austin, Locklear,

To be honest, the old labels really haven't applied for a long time. People still act like Snyder hasn't changed since 2001.

Like Gibbs, Shanahan probably will have all the time he wants to build a winner. Plus, last offseason doesn't look like the actions of someone who only thinks he has two years.

Such a great point in this last sentence.

2 years is simply not enough time to fix everything that needed to be corrected. I realize that we have a pretty bad QB situation, but if you honestly can't see the pieces being put in place, from youth to depth to character, then you're either not looking hard enough or just don't want to see it IMO. (not you specifically, just speaking in generalities).

Like TK said, let's get things worked out at OL and WR first before we insert the rookie QB. If the supporting cast is sub-par, a young QB can only do so much. Look at poor Sam Bradford: the Rams are #1 in Sacks Allowed and #1 in QB Hits Allowed. He's in a walking boot on the sidelines right now.

Build the foundation before you toss the rook the keys. Let's surround our guy in talent and give him a chance to be successful.

I totally agree with the "build the foundation" sentiment before we throw in the rookie qb...just one problem....I don't consider what we have on offense any sort of "foundation" How is this any better than last year? Our OLine stinks and we have no WRs. I just hope we draft well and add some solid FAs.

I think our Oline looks ten times better this year than last. Its not like the QBs aren't getting time to make throws. Last year we couldn't perform a 3 step drop without people in the QB face. This year need to get the QB first then after that get the Oline. Remember people some of the foundation will be retired before our QB will. Atleast get him and sit him while you are building the foundation.

I think you already had the answer. Season has to play out first & see what happens in Free Agency first.

Here's the secret decoder ring though.:)

When Shanny had that year off, the teams he went to study at camps had a common theme besides running a 3-4. They inserted a rookie QB after they had the offensive pieces in tact. For example, the Steelers were on a decline until they gave the keys to Big Ben. Then they took off.Same with the Pats & Brady. That's our road map we're following. Shanny had done it previously with Cutler as well, though part of that was he was done with Jay for skipping that years "voluntary" mini camps.

Neither the Steelers nor Pats were following a "plan" however. Obviously, Roethlisberger was going to take over at some point, but everyone thought he would sit behind Maddox for at least one season and possibly longer. Maddox was in the second year of a fairly long extension and had been productive for the prior two years. He got hurt right out of the gate and the Steelers go 15-1.

I'm not sure if the plan was ever to have Brady replace Bledsoe. It seemed like Bledsoe would be the starter in New England for years to come when he got hurt.

Archived