Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Shanahan stumbling after wrong decisions at QB

#98QBKiller

I'm all for the Rex/Beck QB show we had this year.

#1, didn't have to reach for a QB in the draft that was mediocre.

#2. didn't have to sign a Matt Hassleback to mask the fact that we don't need some retread QB (been there done that).

#3. didn't tie the team to some horrible signal caller.

And the only problem with is that we therefore do not have a QB.

I would like to live in a world where we are trotting out Andy Dalton or Ryan Mallett right now to see if they have anything worth being excited about. If you used a second or third round pick on them and they don't work out, who cares? If they do, your team is suddenly stable for the next ten years.

That's the thing that have a solid QB does. Even a ****storm of a season like the Rams are having isn't all that bad, because you know you have the most important piece in place for the long-term. I can think of a dozen ways to fix an o-line. I can think of a dozen ways to fix a secondary. I can only think of one way to fix the QB position.

The picks are secondary in the McNabb deal - although they certainly don't help.

The fact that he seemed to think that McNabb was the QB to lead this team for 3 or 4 years was the problem. It showed horrible judgment up front and created a massive opportunity cost.

see and this is something ill never believe no matter how much anyone claims otherwise: mcnabb was a stopgap too. mcnabb was a "lets stay competitive while we rebuild" move. i dont honestly think our team felt it could win with mcnabb. look at that roster? what person in their right mind thought that adding mcnabb was going to take that team to the top? even if mcnabb had rekindled his philly magic, that roster was 10-6 at very best, maybe get a wildcard, everyones excited, but still work to do. he was also potentially going to be a good mentor for a young QB. that all blew up, but i will still never believe that mcnabb was a "lets win now" move.

That's the thing that have a solid QB does. Even a ****storm of a season like the Rams are having isn't all that bad' date=' because you know you have the most important piece in place for the long-term. I can think of a dozen ways to fix an o-line. I can think of a dozen ways to fix a secondary. I can only think of one way to fix the QB position.[/quote']

This is 100% correct. You can find ways to hide weaknesses at every other position except QB.

Someone tell Kyle Shannahan that their plan was to get a QB in 2012 because he seemed to think Rex Grossman was a superstar that would light up any secondary... they have a good ground game that he is totally ignoring.

I am not a shannahan fan and he is not the man to turn the franchise around. You had to get a QB in place this year and they didnt make a deal to do it. Bad move that is going to hurt them for years more. McNabb set them back b/c it was another year of bad QB play and giving up a 2nd and 4th picks for a guy who was there a year... thats two young players not on this team or two picks that could have been used to move up for a QB.

Look at Detroit - they suffered for nearly a decade under Millen's disastrous decisions and now, 2 years after a winless season, they are looking pretty good.

Two years of Shanny offseasons and this team is likely worse. No improvement at all - which wouldnt be bad IF you had a young guy under center learning the pro game.

Who were they supposed to get at QB this year when there was no offseason and 2 weeks of FA? Drafted a QB that they didnt love? and that was not going to beat out Rex or Beck for the starting job this year? The FA market was weak and not worth over paying for someone that probably wasnt going to give us a better record that what we have now. We need to face it, this is a rebuilding year.

Why do these articles, it doesn't matter the source, always seem to be fishing for a dan snyder getting impatient angle on our situation? every damn week...makes it tough to read sports articles and listen to sports talk every damn week someone else is fishing...Ive never heard of the 2 yr crap...in fact shanahan said he told snyder if he wasnt in it for at least 5 yrs "do not hire me"...so anything else printed or said about that is fishing

Because you can write this article in five minutes., do no work on it and get paid.

see and this is something ill never believe no matter how much anyone claims otherwise: mcnabb was a stopgap too. mcnabb was a "lets stay competitive while we rebuild" move. i dont honestly think our team felt it could win with mcnabb. look at that roster? what person in their right mind thought that adding mcnabb was going to take that team to the top? even if mcnabb had rekindled his philly magic, that roster was 10-6 at very best, maybe get a wildcard, everyones excited, but still work to do. he was also potentially going to be a good mentor for a young QB. that all blew up, but i will still never believe that mcnabb was a "lets win now" move.

If it is not a "Let's win now" move, it makes even less sense. McNabb is completely unable to handle the "mentor" role. Everyone saw that repeatedly in Philly. It was obvious here. It is obvious in Minnesota. Kyle Orton seems capable of standing on the sidelines and applauding Tim Tebow. John Kitna is maybe the best ever at that role. Mark Brunell probably could have done it if Gibbs wasn't in love with him. McNabb? No way.

If Shanahan thought that McNabb was going to be a bridge to something, that does not say much about his skills as a talent evaluator.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 10:28 AM ----------

Not true. A great defense like the Ravens had in 2000 can mask a bad QB. However, our defense is no where near that level.

I hate that Ravens team. That was a historically great defense. And it won the ****ing wild card.

Not true. A great defense like the Ravens had in 2000 can mask a bad QB. However, our defense is no where near that level.

But why do you think they built the defense the way they did... Could it have been, perhaps, to mask a temporary deficiency at QB?

I actually believe Shanahan when he says he believes in Beck/Grossman... But I think he believes in them to be decent at what they're asked to do, not lose games. He's been wrong about that belief, but I still think he means it wholeheartedly. But the defense, in my opinion, was built in order to mask a deficiency. It's just not good enough to completely overcome the turnovers from the offense.

I really don't think the Raven's defense masked the QB simply because they didn't allow the opponent to score. The Ravens went 6 games straight without scoring an offensive TD. It was pretty obvious what their weakness was.

I believe Dilfer is the only QB in history to be released the year after winning a SB.

If it is not a "Let's win now" move' date=' it makes even less sense. McNabb is completely unable to handle the "mentor" role. Everyone saw that repeatedly in Philly. It was obvious here. It is obvious in Minnesota. Kyle Orton seems capable of standing on the sidelines and applauding Tim Tebow. John Kitna is maybe the best ever at that role. Mark Brunell probably could have done it if Gibbs wasn't in love with him. McNabb? No way.

If Shanahan thought that McNabb was going to be a bridge to something, that does not say much about his skills as a talent evaluator.

[/quote']

all the move said to me is that we have 0 answer at QB, and we'd like to at least stay competitive. and we were willing to trade some draft picks for it. in no way do i think they thought mcnabb was some long term solution here. i agree it was a horrible decision in hindsight, but the move itself i think was made just to keep the wheels turning so shanahan didnt go 3-13 in his first season (which i fully believe we would have had grossman started the whole year).

But why do you think they built the defense the way they did... Could it have been, perhaps, to mask a temporary deficiency at QB?

I actually believe Shanahan when he says he believes in Beck/Grossman... But I think he believes in them to be decent at what they're asked to do, not lose games. He's been wrong about that belief, but I still think he means it wholeheartedly. But the defense, in my opinion, was built in order to mask a deficiency. It's just not good enough to completely overcome the turnovers from the offense.

I agree. I don't think Shanny expected Beck or Grossman to win us a Super Bowl this year. I think he saw them as a stop gap and it was a win-win situation for Shanny.

If Beck or Grossman panned out, he looks like a genius and we have a QB for a little bit. If it doesn't work, we get a good draft pick and he can pick a top QB in the draft.

There really was no downside to going with Beck/Grossman this year. Gabbert hasn't shown me much, Dalton has looked good so far, but still too early to tell, and Locker is still on the bench in Tennessee. So its not like any of those QBs are lighting the world on fire right now.

I read this earlier. I think the entire premise of the article is off. Where's the proof that Shanahan said he thought he only had two years? I've never heard him say that.

LL56 is saying 2014 is when fans should expect a contender.

I'm sure Dan Snyder understands this and after the 10 years he just had, really has no choice but to stick with Shanny barring any complete embarrassment like not contending in 2014.

I don't know about the two years thing' date=' but it is highly likely that Shanahan's tenture here will be defined by the McNabb trade.[/quote']

Disagree. I think that was as the article stated a gamble, he lost, move on. Shanny will get his man at QB and he is not here for just two years.

If Beck or Grossman panned out, he looks like a genius and we have a QB for a little bit. If it doesn't work, we get a good draft pick and he can pick a top QB in the draft.

There really was no downside to going with Beck/Grossman this year.

Unless we go 8-8 and have no shot at drafting a top QB unless we sell the farm. Then things could get real ugly.

Being in Nova Scotia I have to watch a lot of Pats games. And I believe that they have some of the most predictable play calling in the league. But they cannot be stopped. Because they execute and because they have serious gamers.

Neither Shanahan is to blame for our current record. They both know what they're doing and we all knew it would take more than 22 games to right this ship.

This is so freaking true! Watch Green Bay also. You can tell almost before every play if it is pass or run. Half the time you can even see before the play which WR/TE/RB will get the ball. You know why? Because they have a ton of players that do the right things and execute well. Right now we are not quite there.

Unless we go 8-8 and have no shot at drafting a top QB unless we sell the farm. Then things could get real ugly.

I'm sure we'll be able to trade up. I mean at 8-8 we could be somewhere between 13-20. I really think no matter where we end up, we'll trade up. I think that's why we stocked up on so many picks last year and haven't traded any away this year.

I'm sure we'll be able to trade up. I mean at 8-8 we could be somewhere between 13-20. I really think no matter where we end up, we'll trade up. I think that's why we stocked up on so many picks last year and haven't traded any away this year.

That is what I mean by sell the farm. Every other team will know we are desperate for a QB and we will have to give up a hell of a lot.... probably our 1st rounder in 2013 in addition to next year's 1st and additional picks.

We then will have nothing left to upgrade anything else.

That is what I mean by sell the farm. Every other team will know we are desperate for a QB and we will have to give up a hell of a lot.... probably our 1st rounder in 2013 in addition to next year's 1st and additional picks.

We then will have nothing left to upgrade anything else.

Maybe, maybe not. Will be hard to say. But I'd be willing to give up 2 1sts for Andrew Luck if it came down to it.

Who cares what Les "Who is he" Carpenter thinks or writes. Where did he get the impression that Shanahan was only thinking about a two year process? Where did this guy go to school at? The Jason LaCanfora "School of I Can't Reporta?" It teaches you to make $h!t up and throw it against the wall to see which one sticks. So this is just another article based on pure specualtion and no actual facts.

There is no way you can ask Beck to play the rest of the season with a 1-16 career record!!!!!! My goodness.. Coach needs Grossman to get back to good health and get this team to the playoffs. The media and fans need to hush their mouth and respect this team. Grossman is the right decision, people just freak out cause he had a bad game. We were still ahead in the NFC East and people were going insane enough to presure coach Shanny.

Archived