Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

Shane is my favorite character, and depending on your perspective, he ranges anywhere from an Alpha dog ******* to a selfish, murderous sociopath. Interesting.

Shane gets on my nerves because he's always flying off the handle. Rick gets on my nerves because he's too calm. The guy I probably most identify with and like is Daryl.

Shane gets on my nerves because he's always flying off the handle. Rick gets on my nerves because he's too calm. The guy I probably most identify with and like is Daryl.

True, about Daryl, at least how he's evolved this season. Shane at least is interesting, and one of the better actors on the show, which is why I like him on the show, whether I identify with him or not. Rick is a terrible actor, and is normally portrayed as a total pansy, which isn't the actor's fault. But still. He's boring most of the time, even if he is the "main character".

Anybody else mad that they didn't see Sophia as a zombie in the barn coming?

Nope. Saw it coming a mile away.

As for Shane being the leader I don't think the first half of the season made that case as much as the first season did. There are many reasons for this but the fact that he went Britney Spears and shaved his head in a crazy fit is good enough on it's own. :ols:

That may have been a result of his craziness after escaping the school, but it's pretty smart anyway. Once the zombie outbreak occurs, everyone should shave their heads.

Long hair = easy for walkers to grab.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322530679&sr=8-1

It wasn't just craziness. Otis had ripped out a chunk of his hair when he was trying to get away. He was looking at that little bald patch in the mirror, and I think part of the implication was he was paranoid someone would notice.

Wait a minute...there's nobody likeable on this show, except maybe Glenn. Shane is my favorite character, and depending on your perspective, he ranges anywhere from an Alpha dog ******* to a selfish, murderous sociopath. Interesting.

Hah, I said almost the exact same thing in this thread in October, agree with you totally. The show is full of unlikeable boring characters with a few exceptions.

I'm turning around a bit on Shane though, before...while he was interesting before he just seemed like a total douche to me and I really liked Rick. However, with the barn full of walkers I got really impatient with Rick's approach and found myself siding with Shane on that.

I still can't find it in myself to like him because of the Lori/Carl issue. I'm not faulting him for taking Rick's spot when he thought (giving him the benefit of the doubt on this) that Rick was dead. When Rick came back he had to let it go, just because you played the role of Rick for a few weeks or a month doesn't give him the right to feel eternally entitled to it. If Shane died in the next episode (ugh...Feburary..) I wouldn't care from a personal standpoint but the show would be less without him, unless they have someone waiting in the wings to fill his role.

I like Rick just fine. He is trying to keep his wife and son (who almost just died) in the safest place in the world as far as he knows. Can't fault him for that.

Shane is perfect for this world, Dale was right about that. He gets on my nerves, but for no real reason.

Can't stand Dale, always making decisions for the group without saying anything.

Hah, I said almost the exact same thing in this thread in October, agree with you totally. The show is full of unlikeable boring characters with a few exceptions.

I'm turning around a bit on Shane though, before...while he was interesting before he just seemed like a total douche to me and I really liked Rick. However, with the barn full of walkers I got really impatient with Rick's approach and found myself siding with Shane on that.

I still can't find it in myself to like him because of the Lori/Carl issue. I'm not faulting him for taking Rick's spot when he thought (giving him the benefit of the doubt on this) that Rick was dead. When Rick came back he had to let it go, just because you played the role of Rick for a few weeks or a month doesn't give him the right to feel eternally entitled to it. If Shane died in the next episode (ugh...Feburary..) I wouldn't care from a personal standpoint but the show would be less without him, unless they have someone waiting in the wings to fill his role.

I doubt they kill Shane.. not going to happen, he is too much of an ahole to die lol. They cant stay on the property for too long, the show is almost more interesting when they are on the road.

I doubt they kill Shane.. not going to happen, he is too much of an ahole to die lol. They cant stay on the property for too long, the show is almost more interesting when they are on the road.

I'm guessing they're taking a different route than the graphic novels because..

Semi-spoiler --> Carl kills Shane before they reach Hershel's farm in the graphic novels. He believes Shane is about to shoot his father and shoots him in the back. <-- Semi-spoiler

I'm not sure how they're going in order of events here though.

I like Rick just fine. He is trying to keep his wife and son (who almost just died) in the safest place in the world as far as he knows. Can't fault him for that.

Shane is perfect for this world, Dale was right about that. He gets on my nerves, but for no real reason.

Can't stand Dale, always making decisions for the group without saying anything.

Shane can't handle stress so he's far from perfect for the zombie infested world. He's too quick to threaten and flip out which in a world with no laws would force you to kill others and eventually get you killed. He needs a counter balance to keep from going over the edge and he can't handle the secrets he chooses to hold. Dale figured him out dead to rights.

Daryl was tailor made for the zombie world. He requires little maintenance, provides useful skills (tracking, survival), and he doesn't seem interested in competing with anyone for anything.

I agree with you on Dale. The guy just doesn't get it. Trying to hide the guns in the woods was extremely stupid.

I'm guessing they're taking a different route than the graphic novels because..

Semi-spoiler --> Carl kills Shane before they reach Hershel's farm in the graphic novels. He believes Shane is about to shoot his father and shoots him in the back. <-- Semi-spoiler

I'm not sure how they're going in order of events here though.

Damn, i wish i hadn't read that lol. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere else before but forgot all about it

Dale is such a pansy ass. Never does anything of use and is always annoying other characters. And what's up with T-Dog? He was on the brink of death, was saved, and now is essentially useless.

I'm still wondering if the father and son from the beginning will ever meet up with Rick. That may the spoiler above, but I don't want to read it, lol.

Dale is such a pansy ass. Never does anything of use and is always annoying other characters. And what's up with T-Dog? He was on the brink of death, was saved, and now is essentially useless.

I'm still wondering if the father and son from the beginning will ever meet up with Rick. That may the spoiler above, but I don't want to read it, lol.

Thats not the spoiler. Its about Shane

I think that last episode foreshadowed that the kid is Shane's. Shane just so happened to be right about everything in that episode, and I'm inclined to think he was also right during his talk with Lori. Writers like to carry themes like that as ways of foreshadowing.

I like Shane a lot and can hardly blame him for what happened with Otis or Lori. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Sure he didn't handle the Rick situation very well but who would?

I love that the show ended the way it did. A smack across Rick, Dale, Lori and Hershel's face. Wake the f up. You're not in Kansas anymore.

I think that last episode foreshadowed that the kid is Shane's. Shane just so happened to be right about everything in that episode, and I'm inclined to think he was also right during his talk with Lori. Writers like to carry themes like that as ways of foreshadowing.

I like Shane a lot and can hardly blame him for what happened with Otis or Lori. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Sure he didn't handle the Rick situation very well but who would?

I love that the show ended the way it did. A smack across Rick, Dale, Lori and Hershel's face. Wake the f up. You're not in Kansas anymore.

I agree with you about the kid because she said "and even if it is yours" and I don't think she goes there if she's sure about who the father was.

As for Shane my take is the exact opposite. The writing and directing seem to be going to great lengths to show you that his mental state is degrading. They keep showing scenes of him stomping around in a fit of rage sometimes with seemingly no catalyst. The more secrets he carries the less he can handle the weight.

Rick fully realized the reality of the situation, he was simply trying to negotiate a solution for his pregnant wife to be able to stay. Obviously Hershel was crazy and I don't think he would have ever gotten through to him, but he wanted to exhaust all his options first.

In the end when someone had to step up and finish off Sophia, who they all knew, it was Rick. That is the problem with Shane right there, it's very easy to kill a bunch of mindless monsters you have no attachment to, it's another thing entirely to look a little girl in the face that has lived with you for a while and put her down. What Shane did was much easier than what Rick had to do...Rick stepped forward while Shane looked at his feet.

Rick fully realized the reality of the situation, he was simply trying to negotiate a solution for his pregnant wife to be able to stay. Obviously Hershel was crazy and I don't think he would have ever gotten through to him, but he wanted to exhaust all his options first.

In the end when someone had to step up and finish off Sophia, who they all knew, it was Rick. That is the problem with Shane right there, it's very easy to kill a bunch of mindless monsters you have no attachment to, it's another thing entirely to look a little girl in the face that has lived with you for a while and put her down. What Shane did was much easier than what Rick had to do...Rick stepped forward while Shane looked at his feet.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to say the other day when people were saying that Shane has started to prove himself as a leader after all his boasting that he's the one who has always saved Lori, etc. When it came down to it, Rick had to finish what Shane started, reaffirming Rick as the true leader.

Rick never bought in to Hershel's way of life, he simply decided to go along with it in order to provide a safe place for his family.

Yeah i may be in the minority here, but i find Rick much more likeable than Shane. It seems to me that whenever Shane feels even the slightest bit threatened, his ONLY response is to kill or threaten to kill. Now certainly, that's a useful survival instinct....but for it to be his ONLY one? He killed Otis to get away from the walkers, he flipped out and unloaded on all the walkers coming out of the barn, he pulled a gun on Rick.....unlike some of you, I think Shane WILL find his way to the grave sooner rather than later. Rick is a problem solver, and ultimately, his calm nature, his leadership skills, and his logical thinking will draw his survival out much, much longer than Shane's. And i do think we're in store for some new characters pretty soon too.....should be interesting.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to say the other day when people were saying that Shane has started to prove himself as a leader after all his boasting that he's the one who has always saved Lori, etc. When it came down to it, Rick had to finish what Shane started, reaffirming Rick as the true leader.

Rick never bought in to Hershel's way of life, he simply decided to go along with it in order to provide a safe place for his family.

And Rick was wrong. I'm not saying Shane is the leader, simply that he was right in that instance. You need to be a bit harder in times like this. Shane could have ended Sophia, could have made the mom do it, anyone. The writers went with the direction they did to show that Rick gets it. He was wrong about Sophia, he was wrong to negotiate with Hershel and he put his family and those around him in more danger by taking the "high road". There's no place for that now. The final scene was a way for the show runners to show that Rick accepted his mistake and admitted he has been wrong.

And Rick was wrong. I'm not saying Shane is the leader, simply that he was right in that instance. You need to be a bit harder in times like this. Shane could have ended Sophia, could have made the mom do it, anyone. The writers went with the direction they did to show that Rick gets it. He was wrong about Sophia, he was wrong to negotiate with Hershel and he put his family and those around him in more danger by taking the "high road". There's no place for that now. The final scene was a way for the show runners to show that Rick accepted his mistake and admitted he has been wrong.

nah, there's either the [relatively] high road or the abyss and insanity

survival isn't enough

See now I didn't get that at all from it. To me it showed it was simple for Shane to just take them all out when they were strangers, but when it came to someone you knew and cared something about Shane was just as bad a Hershel. Rick did what had to be done. Shane shrunk away from it.

To which I'll add, all this is what made it such a compelling a riveting scene. Kudos to the writers. Well done.

See now I didn't get that at all from it. To me it showed it was simple for Shane to just take them all out when they were strangers, but when it came to someone you knew and cared something about Shane was just as bad a Hershel. Rick did what had to be done. Shane shrunk away from it.

To which I'll add, all this is what made it such a compelling a riveting scene. Kudos to the writers. Well done.

There's no way Shane wouldn't have killed Sophia. He didn't do it because the writers needed to demonstrate that Rick is the leader and realizes that the walkers need to be taken down. He was wrong to put the lives of all the others at risk for the little girl that couldn't have survived in times like these. He took responsibility and ended it.

Never for a moment did I think Rick was the only one "capable" of shooting her.

I agree with this. Especially because of the scene in the woods where he is teaching Andrea how to shoot he said he was good at it because he can turn the emotions off. Obviously, he can't if he knows the person he is shooting.

nah, there's either the [relatively] high road or the abyss and insanity

survival isn't enough

By trying to respect Hershel and his obvious ignorant point of view, he put the entire camp at risk. Survival is the basic human instinct. We all live to propagate and survive first and foremost. We often lose site of that and there is no time or place to do so in a post apocalyptic world.

Archived