Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: How d'ya like Mike Shanahan now?

Popeman38

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/howard-111006/mike-shanahan-2011-success-washington-redskins-changing-minds

A nice article about how Shanny has changed the aura of the Redskins, until you get to this little nugget:

Now, how in the hell does that make it through an editor and get published in a national publication? Does anyone ever fact check articles at ESPN? We played the Steelers and Ravens in preseason. We do not play them this year. Instead, we play the Vikings and Seahawks. Just a slight bit different.....

You are exactly right. How on earth does something like that not get caught before it hits publication? After seeing this gross inaccuracy I did not bother to read the article. When it was talking about Rex and the decline of passing yardage, did it mention the fact that our RB core put up just shy of 200 yards on St. Louis? This dramatically affects the game plan, clock management and passing attemps/yardage. If we are able to run like that, I don't care if sexy rexy never puts the ball in the air. If running it 60 times in a game leads to a win, sign me up! HTTR!

I think what happened was the she looked at the Redskins schedule on redskins.com and saw the preseason schedule at the bottom of the page --- which I will admit can be kind of misleading if you're looking at it carefully. Probably should have been placed at the top of the page.

I think what happened was the she looked at the Redskins schedule on redskins.com and saw the preseason schedule at the bottom of the page --- which I will admit can be kind of misleading if you're looking at it carefully. Probably should have been placed at the top of the page.

Only it says "PRESEASON" right before and it has "WEEK 1, WEEK 2," etc. Oh yeah, and it has the RESULTS of the game.

Lazy journalism.

Yall do understand that this article was more optimistic than negative?

Bunch of negative nancy nitpickers on here, I mean come on.

Doesn't matter. For someone who gets paid to research and write about sports, how hard is it to pull up a team's schedule? It's just lazy.

Doesn't matter. For someone who gets paid to research and write about sports, how hard is it to pull up a team's schedule? It's just lazy.

Sure, I agree, but this board cries and cries about how Shanahan handled Haynesworth and McNabb correctly, and then someone comes out and says the same thing for the hated ESPN, and she gets nitpicked on an honest mistake and then called a transgender. Classy!

The one thing Shanny never seems to get credit for is helping to build Elway as a QB. Mike was the O Coordinator who developed John Elway before Mike went off to Oakland. In fact, Elway was going to leave Denver if Shanny was not brought back as the HC of the Broncos because of difficulties with the current HC(can't recall name)....Information obtained from one of the actual informative interviews at 106.7 The Fan with a formal Denver sports reporter sometime last season. I wonder why this tidbit never seems to surface. Yes Shanny only won a SB with Elway. But it wasn't some accident that they fell into each others' laps. Shanny had a hand in developing Elway earlier in his career, and Elway wanted Shanny back as a coach because of the trust built on a prior working relationship.

O.K. while she obviously had inaccuracies regarding who we play during this season, which folks pointed out in almost every post, she is absolutely correct in her assessment that if Rex continues his decline we will not be able to pull out games with our D alone. We have all said the same thing. No news there is my take on the whole damn article.

The one thing Shanny never seems to get credit for is helping to build Elway as a QB. Mike was the O Coordinator who developed John Elway before Mike went off to Oakland. In fact, Elway was going to leave Denver if Shanny was not brought back as the HC of the Broncos because of difficulties with the current HC(can't recall name)....Information obtained from one of the actual informative interviews at 106.7 The Fan with a formal Denver sports reporter sometime last season. I wonder why this tidbit never seems to surface. Yes Shanny only won a SB with Elway. But it wasn't some accident that they fell into each others' laps. Shanny had a hand in developing Elway earlier in his career, and Elway wanted Shanny back as a coach because of the trust built on a prior working relationship.

Would that be Dan Reeves?

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/howard-111006/mike-shanahan-2011-success-washington-redskins-changing-minds

A nice article about how Shanny has changed the aura of the Redskins, until you get to this little nugget:

Now, how in the hell does that make it through an editor and get published in a national publication? Does anyone ever fact check articles at ESPN? We played the Steelers and Ravens in preseason. We do not play them this year. Instead, we play the Vikings and Seahawks. Just a slight bit different.....

Actually, the writer must expect us to get to the SB and meant to put an 'or' between his two picks for the AFC rep.

So wait, has Romo sits to pee fallen so far in the media's eyes that now Grossman's turnovers are used to justify is bad? Cause all I have been hearing from the media is how 50% of Romo sits to pee's turnovers aren't his fault and that he is still an American hero and can get the job done.

So you order a rare steak and then bring you a burnt burger. And you ***** about it are you a nitpicker? Because that is what this writer did here, she brought the wrong items to the table. Facts are her job, this was not even speculation, this was facts relevant to the topic. It is her job to get this right and it is easy enough to find the correct facts.

It just bothers me when people who are getting paid to do this stuff: a) know less than the casual fan, and B) don't bother to check the facts on even the shortest piece.

Another example is yesterday on ESPN 980, one of the "experts" who covers the skins all the time was trying to make the point of how stupid the team was to not play Torrain sooner, and in trying to make his point he said that Torrain had like 5 or 6 100 yard games last year. If you watched the game last Sunday, you knew that it was Torrain's 4th 100 yard game of his career.

In some cases, it's probably just lack of knowledge, in others it may be using exaggeration to prove their point. either way, I find it annoying. Especially when the inaccuracies are at the heart of the argument.

Archived